Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:40:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth  (Read 49049 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #105 on: October 23, 2014, 06:40:08 AM

Joystiq review makes me glad I waited. This one before the jump really got me:

The experience doesn't feel luxe. Firaxis has been the benchmark in accessible strategy games and it's owned by triple-A publisher Take-Two Interactive, but I've seen stronger production values from independent European competitors.
Ow.

Though the gameplay all sounds pretty much as expected (Civ 5 with few flavor mods) this sounds nice:
Thankfully, not much effort will need to go into understanding the game's military units. As affinity levels increase, so do troops. All at once! No need to spend money (energy) on upgrades over time. The affinity upgrades also bestow particular perks like increased movement of siege bonuses. Units can also earn experience by fighting, which is also quite straightforward, with the option to heal or flatly increase damage if they survive. It's another lovely macromanagement departure from the Civ series.

Ed: goddamnnit, that's what I get for being addicted to caffeine again and posting before coffee.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 11:41:11 AM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #106 on: October 23, 2014, 06:59:38 AM

Psst. Your image links are broken.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: October 23, 2014, 07:55:41 AM

A lot of people are saying it feels a bit like a Civ 5 mod.  But I'd play a good Civ 5 mod.  I don't think I'd pay 50 bucks for it, but then I don't pay full price for many games anymore to begin with.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #108 on: October 23, 2014, 08:07:19 AM

Merusk's post, with the invisible quotations fixed:

The experience doesn't feel luxe. Firaxis has been the benchmark in accessible strategy games and it's owned by triple-A publisher Take-Two Interactive, but I've seen stronger production values from independent European competitors.

Ow.

Though the gameplay all sounds pretty much as expected (Civ 5 with few flavor mods) this sounds nice:

Thankfully, not much effort will need to go into understanding the game's military units. As affinity levels increase, so do troops. All at once! No need to spend money (energy) on upgrades over time. The affinity upgrades also bestow particular perks like increased movement of siege bonuses. Units can also earn experience by fighting, which is also quite straightforward, with the option to heal or flatly increase damage if they survive. It's another lovely macromanagement departure from the Civ series.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #109 on: October 23, 2014, 11:41:42 AM

Thanks, Cal. It's fixed now.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #110 on: October 23, 2014, 11:50:08 AM

Ow.
Civ games have always had crappy production values with poor UIs, typography, graphics, cinematics, animations, etc., etc.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #111 on: October 23, 2014, 12:17:56 PM

I buckled for 2 reasons: 1, it's a tradition going back to when half of you were in diapers to buy the new civ at launch. Second, some of the new mechanics look interesting enough that I want to check them out.

But watching a couple gameplay demos, the UI definitely got little love. The rich art deco style of Civ 5 was so nice, it looks like they just stripped it out and put in black rectangles. And for some reason the little things like crossed sword icons kinda bug me in a futuristic setting.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: October 23, 2014, 03:32:27 PM

Civ 5 units earn experience from fighting, what does that reviewer mean its a departure?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #113 on: October 23, 2014, 03:46:27 PM

The difference is they promote into different kinds of units rather than just get small bonuses that upgrade them.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: October 23, 2014, 04:25:21 PM

The difference is they promote into different kinds of units rather than just get small bonuses that upgrade them.

Units can also earn experience by fighting, which is also quite straightforward, with the option to heal or flatly increase damage if they survive. It's another lovely macromanagement departure from the Civ series.

Different thing. Unit types as a whole upgrade, but individual units also get experience upgrades just like in Civ 5. Which is what this quote seems to be referencing.
schild
Administrator

Reply #115 on: October 23, 2014, 05:24:50 PM

I buckled for 2 reasons: 1, it's a tradition going back to when half of you were in diapers to buy the new civ at launch.

You're not that old and neither is Civ.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: October 23, 2014, 06:00:12 PM

Sky is clearly counting from the 1981 Avalon Hill release.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #117 on: October 23, 2014, 06:02:42 PM

Civ 1 was 1991. We played a floppy pirated version on my college buddy's 386.  why so serious?  some here may have been 3 or so but anyone under 35 would have likely been playing other things.  

schild
Administrator

Reply #118 on: October 23, 2014, 06:02:50 PM

I find that hard to believe. Boardgames weren't launched back then. They trickled and you were lucky to even find them or know they existed, what without the internet and shit. And two, he's not THAT old.

Edit: I think the youngest person here is NiX. He would've been.... 5, I believe. Maybe 6. He was 17 or 18 when f13 launched.

Edit 2: Strazos is the same age as Nix I think.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: October 23, 2014, 06:18:38 PM

Civ 1 was 1991. We played a floppy pirated version on my college buddy's 386.  why so serious?  some here may have been 3 or so but anyone under 35 would have likely been playing other things.  

Eh? How do you figure? You do realise this is a gaming forum and that quite a few were probably playing games at a young age?

I fall in to that group and while I never played Civ 1, it was because I didn't know about it, age didn't have anything to do with it.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: October 23, 2014, 06:33:48 PM

There are people who didn't play a pirated copy of civ 1 on a 386?  swamp poop

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: October 23, 2014, 06:43:17 PM

I first played Civ 1 on the SNES which came out in...95? 96?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #122 on: October 23, 2014, 06:56:29 PM

Eh? How do you figure? You do realise this is a gaming forum and that quite a few were probably playing games at a young age?

I fall in to that group and while I never played Civ 1, it was because I didn't know about it, age didn't have anything to do with it.

Because home computers weren't ubiquitous in 1991 and dropping 2-3 grand for one wasn't common? That it only seems common today because there might have been a home PC surge sometime in 1996ish, lead by strange companies that did mail delivery?

Nah.

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: October 23, 2014, 06:58:21 PM

There are people who didn't play a pirated copy of civ 1 on a 386?  swamp poop

That's what I did. It was my first experience with ARJ. Mindblowing - compression!
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: October 23, 2014, 07:04:04 PM

I find that hard to believe. Boardgames weren't launched back then. They trickled and you were lucky to even find them or know they existed, what without the internet and shit. And two, he's not THAT old.

Edit: I think the youngest person here is NiX. He would've been.... 5, I believe. Maybe 6. He was 17 or 18 when f13 launched.

Edit 2: Strazos is the same age as Nix I think.

Nope, everyone read Computer Gaming World and the market was so small anything that existed was covered in there.  And if you couldn't afford it you pirated it.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: October 23, 2014, 07:26:18 PM

There are people who didn't play a pirated copy of civ 1 on a 386?  swamp poop

That's what I did. It was my first experience with ARJ. Mindblowing - compression!

I first played Civ in the 'Ars Electronica' (a sort of science-art-museum) which had PC running some games. That and 'Sim Ant'. Memories....

Beyond Earth:

• First crash (lock up) at turn 33.  why so serious?
  • Civ roots are very present. It feels like playing total conversion mod.
  • First start I land in what is 2/3 desert. Second start the same with mostly tundra. "Yes, this is clearly Civ!"
  • Despite this the different map and colour schemes take somewhat getting used to. "Is this a relic or a resource I am looking at?"
  • There used to be a button in the right-hand corner to toggle map options: Show tile-grid, show resource yield, show resource icons. All those would be helpful due to the unfamiliar map, but they are either gone or I am just too blind to find them.
  • The UI in general could be a bit more 'pleasant looking'. Doesn't feel they iterated it very much.
  • The 'Tech Web' seems quite more extensive than the old Tech tree. Each Tech has 3 sub-techs that can researched or skipped. A bit like in Moo2 where one had pick 1 tech out of a general field.
  • I like the choices for customising buildings and those from quests. Feels it adds some depth/character to your nation. Definitely something that would fit in Civ 6 as well.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: October 23, 2014, 07:40:06 PM

Because home computers weren't ubiquitous in 1991 and dropping 2-3 grand for one wasn't common? That it only seems common today because there might have been a home PC surge sometime in 1996ish, lead by strange companies that did mail delivery?

Nah.

Sky said it was a tradition to "buy the new civ at launch". This means you just need to have played Civ 1 before Civ 2 came out, not right away asap when Civ 1 came out. It is highly highly unlikely many here were in diapers when Civ 2 came out. Most would have been in their teens.

As to your other point - this is a gaming forum with most of the population here being (I would guess) 30+, chances are we're far far more likely than the average person to have had a computer in the early 90s.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: October 23, 2014, 09:03:08 PM

Being at work I've read a few reviews before playing tonight, most of the poorer rated ones tend to focus on stuff like "the AI players don't have any character" and "there are too many decisions" or "there is too much unfamiliar stuff", mostly with a comparison to the other civ games.

Were they just playing Civ on the easy difficulties? Because I fail to grasp how anyone could intuitively understand the many many mechanics and decision implications of Civ 5 without having to read a lot and make a lot of decisions...
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: October 23, 2014, 09:03:22 PM

I am babysitting a problem with my server room UPS that is going to keep me from playing this at 9.  Heartbreak

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: October 23, 2014, 09:28:48 PM

Being at work I've read a few reviews before playing tonight, most of the poorer rated ones tend to focus on stuff like "the AI players don't have any character" and "there are too many decisions" or "there is too much unfamiliar stuff", mostly with a comparison to the other civ games.

Were they just playing Civ on the easy difficulties? Because I fail to grasp how anyone could intuitively understand the many many mechanics and decision implications of Civ 5 without having to read a lot and make a lot of decisions...

People are dumb?

It's Civ more or less. Happyness is called health. Instead of Iron and Oil there is Titantium and Petrolium. Barbarians = Aliens.

The decisions are of the sort of: You made your first culture building. Do you want to it to a) produce 1 extra culture b) have no upkeep. It's nothing world shattering

Quick Civ V <> Beyond earth dictionary:

Happiness = Health
Culture = Culture
Gold = Energy
Faith = Doesn't exist anymore.

Settler = Colonist
Worker = Worker
Scout = Explorer
Warrior = Soldier

Mine = Mine
Farm = Farm
Pasture = Paddock
Trade Post = Generator

Fish = Algae
Pearls = Coral
Cows = Little alien insects

Tech Tree = Tech Web
Social Policies = Virtues
Ideologies = Affinities
City States = Stations

Monument = Old Earth Relic
City Wall = Defense Perimeter
Granary = Nanopasture
Library = Neurolab

It's really not rocket science!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 09:30:57 PM by calapine »

schild
Administrator

Reply #130 on: October 23, 2014, 09:34:12 PM

This sounds like a reskin. Fuck you, Sid Meier. You lazy asshole.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: October 23, 2014, 09:59:48 PM

It really, really does.

Somebody tell me there is *something* that differentiates this from a Civ 5 mod. Something in mid to late game perhaps?

I was all ready with cash in hand, but now I'm waiting for one of those mega Steam sales to come along.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: October 23, 2014, 10:21:55 PM

Eh, not really.

It may be a bit of a re-skin, but it's not because there are equivalents. It it a Civ-style game, after all. never pretended it wasn't.

I can play in a few hours and then add a considered opinion! Wheee...
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: October 23, 2014, 10:59:23 PM

• There used to be a button in the right-hand corner to toggle map options: Show tile-grid, show resource yield, show resource icons. All those would be helpful due to the unfamiliar map, but they are either gone or I am just too blind to find them.

Yeah, I always played with that on. As did most people I suspect. No idea why they thought it would be a good idea to take out.  Mob

Hopefully easy to mod back in by some equally annoyed person.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #134 on: October 23, 2014, 11:44:51 PM

There is a button on the minimap with those options.
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: October 24, 2014, 12:13:39 AM

Yeah, it's the tiny eye on the top left (of the minimap). Just found it myself.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: October 24, 2014, 02:27:21 AM

My first impression is that it doesn't feel that much like Civ.

But then I've played about 40 hours of Civ 5 in the last week, so the subtle difference might be coming off stronger than for others.

Edit: Also it is really ugly. Fluro green does not an nice looking game make. I seriously dislike this. Game itself seems ok, but I'm not sure I can tolerate this eyesore. Would rather be playing Civ 5 TBH.

Edit 2: Pretty sure AC still used quotes from human history too. The writing in this is naff. And the quests have no personality at all (and have a lot of opaque game modifiers - it would have been great to know that fences could also make trade ships not die to aliens, I would have built it far earlier). Game actually does feel like a TC and a little bit soulless...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 04:37:56 AM by lamaros »
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #137 on: October 24, 2014, 04:41:21 AM

Just played for um... last 6.5 hours. Time for bed. Engine wise its obviously built on Civ 5. Differences that are actually different? The three ideologies actually have a big impact - quite a few techs have requirements in these, and its obvious there will be some strategies in getting the right balance between more than one ideology. Unit upgrading is pretty slick, not only do your units get tougher, they gain abilities based on the ideology you used to upgrade them. The tech tree is much less linear feeling. Its more cloudish now - in most Civs, by the time you get to say a tier three tech, you've probably only skipped a couple of the tier one techs. Here, you can shoot right out in one direction and ignore everything else if you want to. After six hours playing my units still can't embark, because I just totally ignored most of the "basic" techs.

My first 30 minutes with the game I was feeling kind of "meh". Then 6 more hours passed.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: October 24, 2014, 04:47:19 AM

Eh, that tech 'web' still has the 'things towards the edge are more expensive'. So you do end up with more in the middle (or should) and just not as many on the fringes.

The real difference is the 'leaves' for the main techs, which you can much more easily skip if they don't suit what you're doing, and the don't give you a pre-req for anything else.

I've given up though, I find the UI to be quite bad, ugly and 'cheap', and the world colours are really annoying me. Maybe when I'm less tired it wont be so bad.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: October 24, 2014, 04:57:38 AM

Also trade routes are possibly broken good.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth  
Jump to: