Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:50:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2014 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 57 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2014  (Read 374356 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1785 on: January 26, 2015, 10:46:05 AM

I don't take it seriously other than the fact the Patriots simply won't admit they cheated, or that someone made a mistake. Instead, they turned into Bill Nye Boston-Strong!

And yes, this Super Bowl is a news cycle of who you hate less. The cheating assholes or the delusional assholes.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1786 on: January 26, 2015, 10:48:31 AM

I think I want the Patriots to win just to see the nation wide tears it.  I think more people are indifferent about Seattle.

Also, as a Giants fan, I just find it hard to get worked up about Brady, Belichick and the Patriots in general.  why so serious?
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1787 on: January 26, 2015, 11:05:01 AM

I see based on my turning on Mike and Mike this morning that I should probably just fucking avoid any US sports media in the next week so as to not hear about Tom Brady's balls ad infinitum.

They were arguing over which would annoy fans more: regurgitating another week of Deflategate, or a week of interviews with backup Linemens' high school band teachers - which is what we would have gotten.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1788 on: January 26, 2015, 11:14:49 AM

Or the NFL could just stop doing this ridiculous two week Bataan death march to the Super Bowl and play it the goddamn week after the Championship game. Then they could torch the fucking Pro Bowl shit while they are at it.

I know, I'm dreaming.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1789 on: January 26, 2015, 11:35:33 AM

Or the NFL could just stop doing this ridiculous two week Bataan death march to the Super Bowl and play it the goddamn week after the Championship game. Then they could torch the fucking Pro Bowl shit while they are at it.

I know, I'm dreaming.

You are dreaming. If anything, they'll do the opposite and go 2 weeks between the divisional and conference championships, then 2 weeks for the Super Bowl. Because injuries and shit. If the NFL could find a way to have this thing extend all the way to mid-February? Then they roll the next week to the scouting combine? It rolls right into Free Agency in March, and the Draft in April. They can basically keep story lines going to block out Basketball for most of their season.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #1790 on: January 26, 2015, 12:03:00 PM

Except the guy on defense didn't notice the ball was deflated. He even said so.
And now it comes out that the NFL had heard about the complaint in an earlier game and didn't say to the Pats 'hey dont pull shit with the balls', no they fully intended to test the balls at half time to 'catch' the Pats and create this shit storm.
Plus the NFL's Director of football ops who was on the Colts sideline last Sunday? Mike Kensil, ex Jets President who has many reasons to hate Belichick with a burning passion and is now running the investigation.

Tinfoil Hat Tinfoil Hat Tinfoil Hat Tinfoil Hat

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #1791 on: January 26, 2015, 12:30:59 PM

Someone needs to ask Gisele about Tom's deflated balls.

Over and out.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1792 on: January 26, 2015, 01:33:14 PM

You are dreaming. If anything, they'll do the opposite and go 2 weeks between the divisional and conference championships, then 2 weeks for the Super Bowl. Because injuries and shit. If the NFL could find a way to have this thing extend all the way to mid-February? Then they roll the next week to the scouting combine? It rolls right into Free Agency in March, and the Draft in April. They can basically keep story lines going to block out Basketball for most of their season.

I think that scenario would make me hunt down Roger Goddell with a baseball bat.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1793 on: January 26, 2015, 02:03:17 PM

Someone needs to ask Gisele about Tom's deflated balls.

She's the breadwinner in that family. I'd say Tom's balls are fully inflated and in a jar on her mantle.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1794 on: January 26, 2015, 05:55:14 PM

If the Seachickens win I look forward to Earl Thomas' in-depth explanations of how nobody believed in them

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1795 on: January 26, 2015, 08:02:42 PM

If the Seachickens win I look forward to Earl Thomas' in-depth explanations of how nobody believed in them

Ugh.

UGH!

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1796 on: January 26, 2015, 08:28:39 PM

except for Jesus.

-Rasix
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1797 on: January 26, 2015, 08:41:37 PM

And yes, this Super Bowl is a news cycle of who you hate less. The cheating assholes or the delusional assholes.

Which team is the cheating assholes again?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1798 on: January 27, 2015, 08:03:25 AM

The world doesn't need 24 hr sports coverage, unless it's global coverage of ALL sports.  Of course that's not going to happen. 

I'm really getting sick of these 24 hr networks creating news out of thin air just so they have something to put on air. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1799 on: January 27, 2015, 08:10:34 AM

So Robert Kraft says that should the NFL's investigation of Tom Brady's balls not find any evidence of wrongdoing on the part of the Patriots' organization (it won't - and isn't it convenient how the report won't even be concluded until after the Super Bowl), the NFL should issue an apology to Belicheck and Brady.

I got two words for Robert Kraft and they start with the letters Fuck You.

Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1800 on: January 27, 2015, 08:17:04 AM

This is the worst Super Bowl (or the lead up to it) ever to cap off the worst NFL season ever.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1801 on: January 27, 2015, 08:47:55 AM

The world doesn't need 24 hr sports coverage, unless it's global coverage of ALL sports.  Of course that's not going to happen. 

I'm really getting sick of these 24 hr networks creating news out of thin air just so they have something to put on air. 

And now there are what, 4 of them (not counting all of the different versions of each network) all competing for eyeballs now?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1802 on: January 27, 2015, 09:05:39 AM

This is the worst Super Bowl (or the lead up to it) ever to cap off the worst NFL season ever.

This is the Super Bowl this shitty season deserves. I really hope it's not a blowout, but most #1 v #1 games would indicate that it won't be close historically.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1803 on: January 27, 2015, 09:18:40 AM

I'm really struggling hard to muster up even the desire to watch the game. Even if it's close, I'm not sure I have the stomach to watch to the finish. I'm sure I will, but I have about as much give a fuck for this one as I did for San Fran/Baltimore 2 years ago.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1804 on: January 27, 2015, 09:27:18 AM

I'm really struggling hard to muster up even the desire to watch the game. Even if it's close, I'm not sure I have the stomach to watch to the finish. I'm sure I will, but I have about as much give a fuck for this one as I did for San Fran/Baltimore 2 years ago.

That game two years ago was the one I got harassed about saying I wouldn't watch it. Because it was so unlikable. That's probably the worst matchup we've had all decade in terms of give a shit factor. Mainly because Baltimore pulled the Denver game out of their ass, then beat the Patriots, effectively knocking out two of the biggest teams people wanted to see in the game. Meanwhile SF beat the Packers and the Falcons, effectively knocking out one of the biggest fanbases in football, and one of the biggest "are they a fraud" stories in the NFL.

It was a letdown. This isn't a letdown because it's the number one seeds, but it's a letdown because we were predicting this back in October. Nobody looked like they could beat either team.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1805 on: January 27, 2015, 10:08:59 AM

It's also a letdown because once the Seahawks lost their "scrappy underdogs" persona, they are just another powerhouse team that people have seen in the Super Bowl before. Pete Caroll is also an unlikeable dick with questionable past as the USC head coach, Richard Sherman is a trash-talker (though I've actually come around to liking him a lot for being a really smart trash-talker), plus the 12th man thing really annoys the shit out of people.

And then there's the Patriots. 'Nuff said.

Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1806 on: January 27, 2015, 10:16:12 AM

It's a letdown because:

Coaches: unlikeable assholes
Players: unlikeable assholes
Fans: unlikeable assholes
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1807 on: January 27, 2015, 11:02:52 AM

It's a letdown because:

Coaches: unlikeable assholes
Players: unlikeable assholes
Fans: unlikeable assholes

So next year we should follow up with a Dallas/Pittsburgh super bowl?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #1808 on: January 27, 2015, 11:20:39 AM

I think you guys just don't like football.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1809 on: January 27, 2015, 11:45:06 AM

We just like a little football with our soap operas.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1810 on: January 27, 2015, 11:58:55 AM

If the game is good, I won't care about who is in it. Last year was probably one of the worst Super Bowls I've ever witnessed as a person with no rooting interest.

2nd worst was Tampa and Oakland in 2002 season. Holy shit was that game awful. That season was awful.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1811 on: January 27, 2015, 02:32:07 PM

We just like a little football with our soap operas.  why so serious?

Yep.  I love that a multi-billion dollar league is embarrassed by something so grade school as squicky balls.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1812 on: January 27, 2015, 02:47:34 PM

See this?  This is football.

This I'll watch.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1813 on: January 27, 2015, 05:42:18 PM

Someone get Ed Hochuli some pads and a helmet and let's have a game!

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #1814 on: January 27, 2015, 05:42:33 PM

So in 2006, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning lobbied for a rule change that allowed each team to supply their own footballs for use on offense.  Prior to that, the home team would supply all the balls used by each team.  This article is an interesting analysis of the dramatic change in the rate the Patriots fumbled since that rule was change.

Over and out.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1815 on: January 27, 2015, 06:48:49 PM

So in 2006, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning lobbied for a rule change that allowed each team to supply their own footballs for use on offense.  Prior to that, the home team would supply all the balls used by each team.  This article is an interesting analysis of the dramatic change in the rate the Patriots fumbled since that rule was change.

Nice and all, but the comparisons to the rest of the league are a bit misleading because when you aggregate everyone else, the line smooths out and makes looking at an individual team's line even more extreme. They really needed to take the top 5 or 10 and plot them all out.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1816 on: January 28, 2015, 08:24:28 AM

So in 2006, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning lobbied for a rule change that allowed each team to supply their own footballs for use on offense.  Prior to that, the home team would supply all the balls used by each team.  This article is an interesting analysis of the dramatic change in the rate the Patriots fumbled since that rule was change.

This isn't an awful analysis, but how about Indianapolis and Denver, did they see matching benefits, since Peyton was also lobbying for this? Fumbles are such complex events I don't think trying to boil them down with this sort of simple, one-dimensional analysis really achieves anything useful. The point where they try to calculate a probability hinges on the assumption that fumble rates by team are normally distributed, which seems at best naive and over-simple, at worst completely and utterly wrong. Infrequent events like fumbles and interceptions tend to follow long-tailed distributions; talking about the average rate of fumbles or interceptions by a team or player is nonsensical. Dome teams should have been presented separately as a comparison group; but even more so the analysis should adjust by the number of dome games non-dome teams play on the road. Consider the Panthers or Bucs, they are guaranteed two dome road games a year (NO and ATL), likewise for the Bears and Packers (MIN and DET), whereas NE is guaranteed none. Furthermore it should present the statistics for home and away games, we have no way of assessing the differential that existed before 2007 with what the article presents. Given all this and the complex factors of player skill, variable weather, and differences in coaching; attempting to argue that this boils down to something as trivial as a rule change feels like a real stretch

As Chris Long points out in this article on Deflategate (it's a good read, go on), the Patriots have a tendency to obsess over details like turnovers in a way that other franchises don't. Perhaps they just drafted players with better hands, maybe they figured out better drills for their backs and recievers, maybe they got lucky.

Let’s get down to it: this story isn’t as much about air pressure as it is about the cult of the New England Patriots. The Patriots are really good at two things: winning football games and not giving a shit what you think about them. This modus operandi has earned the Patriots an equal number of fans and haters.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 08:42:28 AM by K9 »

Terracotta Army

Reply #1817 on: January 28, 2015, 09:29:43 AM

So in 2006, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning lobbied for a rule change that allowed each team to supply their own footballs for use on offense.  Prior to that, the home team would supply all the balls used by each team.  This article is an interesting analysis of the dramatic change in the rate the Patriots fumbled since that rule was change.

This isn't an awful analysis, but how about Indianapolis and Denver, did they see matching benefits, since Peyton was also lobbying for this? Fumbles are such complex events I don't think trying to boil them down with this sort of simple, one-dimensional analysis really achieves anything useful. The point where they try to calculate a probability hinges on the assumption that fumble rates by team are normally distributed, which seems at best naive and over-simple, at worst completely and utterly wrong. Infrequent events like fumbles and interceptions tend to follow long-tailed distributions; talking about the average rate of fumbles or interceptions by a team or player is nonsensical. Dome teams should have been presented separately as a comparison group; but even more so the analysis should adjust by the number of dome games non-dome teams play on the road. Consider the Panthers or Bucs, they are guaranteed two dome road games a year (NO and ATL), likewise for the Bears and Packers (MIN and DET), whereas NE is guaranteed none. Furthermore it should present the statistics for home and away games, we have no way of assessing the differential that existed before 2007 with what the article presents. Given all this and the complex factors of player skill, variable weather, and differences in coaching; attempting to argue that this boils down to something as trivial as a rule change feels like a real stretch

As Chris Long points out in this article on Deflategate (it's a good read, go on), the Patriots have a tendency to obsess over details like turnovers in a way that other franchises don't. Perhaps they just drafted players with better hands, maybe they figured out better drills for their backs and recievers, maybe they got lucky.

Let’s get down to it: this story isn’t as much about air pressure as it is about the cult of the New England Patriots. The Patriots are really good at two things: winning football games and not giving a shit what you think about them. This modus operandi has earned the Patriots an equal number of fans and haters.

The article would be best served to note each team individually and break the league up into quartiles. As was said in the comments, ATL had a pretty big reduction in fumbles as well during the same time which when comparing those two teams make it seem like a trend and not an outlier as it is bent in the article.

And yeah, that Chris Long piece points out that when a team focuses on stopping turnovers, those numbers get reduced. Just like if a team focuses on running the ball more and adjusts the team to run more, their rushing stats go up.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1818 on: January 28, 2015, 09:36:22 AM

The article would be best served to note each team individually and break the league up into quartiles. As was said in the comments, ATL had a pretty big reduction in fumbles as well during the same time which when comparing those two teams make it seem like a trend and not an outlier as it is bent in the article.

It occurs to me now that excluding dome teams (when the rule change only affected road games) seems like an incredibly dumb oversight.

edit:

538 has a much better summary of why this Slate Article is utterly awful, in rigorous fashion
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 09:41:44 AM by K9 »

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1819 on: January 28, 2015, 02:34:44 PM

This is what I call accurate Super Bowl coverage.

I love the Onion.  

$10 million: NFL’s current asking price to incorporate brand name into national anthem lyrics

-  Mark Twain
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 57 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2014  
Jump to: