Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:20:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Subscription changes coming for soe 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Subscription changes coming for soe  (Read 22534 times)
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: January 24, 2014, 08:58:04 PM

Oh I'm sure that will end fabulously.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: January 24, 2014, 09:32:03 PM

Heh. Could be anything from "we got SW back since SWTOR has/soon ended and we'll make launch SWG with combat that works" to "we meant EQ Next is for the SWG players pre-NGE who liked the crafting/economy system"

In other words, the possibilities run the entire range from Robot Jesus to WoW 1.justlikeit  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #37 on: January 24, 2014, 09:50:33 PM

Bring back that fucking skill system with less grind and I'm there.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: January 24, 2014, 10:12:32 PM

SOE is closing down four of it MMOs. Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures and Free Realms will close on March 31st. Vanguard and Wizardry Online will bow out on July 31st.
Fuck.  Two of those were the only ones in their current stable I cared about at all.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: January 25, 2014, 02:11:44 AM

Heh. Could be anything from "we got SW back since SWTOR has/soon ended and we'll make launch SWG with combat that works" to "we meant EQ Next is for the SWG players pre-NGE who liked the crafting/economy system"

In other words, the possibilities run the entire range from Robot Jesus to WoW 1.justlikeit  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The chances of SOE making anything Star Wars are nil. EA's got the exclusive Star Wars license, and is very likely the reason Clone Wars Adventures is shutting down.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: January 25, 2014, 07:31:10 AM

I think it's more likely CWA is shutting down is because they haven't done anything with the game.  Like Free Realms, they almost completely neglected it except to add more cash shop items.  Once people move on from it there is absolutely no reason for anyone to come back nor any pull for new people to give it a look.  Were it doing well, I'm quite sure they could get an extension to an existing contract.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: January 25, 2014, 01:23:26 PM

The chances of SOE making anything Star Wars are nil. EA's got the exclusive Star Wars license, and is very likely the reason Clone Wars Adventures is shutting down.

Heh. So was the chance of anyone but SOE making a Star Wars MMO nor was never a chance of any more Star Wars movies either.
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: January 25, 2014, 02:40:07 PM

I assume this goes along with that.

"In terms of the brand spanky new unannounced MMO, will it be based on an existing IP or something new I should work myself into a frothy craze over?

j_smedley 24 points 21 hours ago
completely new IP. The data is on the interwebs.. someone just has to find it."

« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 02:44:37 PM by veredus »
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: January 25, 2014, 10:12:51 PM

I assume this goes along with that.

"In terms of the brand spanky new unannounced MMO, will it be based on an existing IP or something new I should work myself into a frothy craze over?

j_smedley 24 points 21 hours ago
completely new IP. The data is on the interwebs.. someone just has to find it."

I wonder if he's talking about Pantheon??? awesome, for real  If McQuaid's KS eventually goes to soe...oh man.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: January 26, 2014, 07:32:20 AM

Oh yes, I totally believe the company who killed SWG and redesigned it several times in the midst of other redesigns knows how to make the spirit of the game work.

Sadly, they're still my best hope for producing something right now.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: January 26, 2014, 11:21:23 AM

Some think it's SOE having trademarked H1Z1 (here's a Neogaf thread). This guy though thinks it's World of Darkness rights being bought by SOE from CCP who has shifted resources away from it.

Since he said "completely new IP" though, I'm leaning H1Z1 or something I haven't found yet.

And yes, I dug a little. Because like Lant, they're also my best hope for producing something (interesting) right now. And with what they're doing with EQN, I'm willing to give them some interest.

And they say you can't go home again... Ohhhhh, I see.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: January 27, 2014, 04:59:47 AM

I'd be very skeptical that it's World of Darkness. The concept was terrible for a MMO to start because it's actually about roleplaying, not hacking stuff to death. Second, the Secret World's about the best implementation of that kind of horror thing I can imagine and it completely tanked in the marketplace.

A Zombie Apocalypse game, on the other hand, has lots of hacking stuff to death and is still a reasonably hot genre.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #47 on: January 27, 2014, 05:51:24 AM

These new sandboxes though are somehow generating a ton of unexpected, spontaneous roleplaying. Granted, while I am 100% sure that sandbox MMOs are not a fad (they are here to stay now that technology makes it easy to build them), the roleplaying thing could absolutely be. But when you see how much -HOW MUCH- roleplaying is happening in Day Z and ArmA (*cough* City Life) just because the environment and the tools look realistic, and people have voice comm, I am sure someone is wondering if there's some sort of huge untapped potential that needs to be explored/exploited.

It's something like: give people a realistic enough virtual world (not Second Life, not medieval fantasy, not dragons), give them tools other than just weapons, give them voice communications, see what happens. Not sure about World of Darkness (I'd bet against it), and not sure about how sustainable these projects are (costs vs. revenues), but SOE clearly wants to be the very first one to build massive AAA sandboxes so I wouldn't be surprised if they announced something really, really new and impressive.

For a long time roleplaying, be it about Pen and Paper or just poor computerized graphics) has been about "filling the blanks" with imagination. Now technology is slowly starting to fill those blanks, and people are finding less tiresome to just "play", and give in to the simulation. And participate.

One random thought: try to imagine what multiplayer roleplaying games, or even simple sandbox simulations like Euro Truck Simulator, will be like in 20 years. 2034 (Or 2334). Can you?

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #48 on: February 03, 2014, 06:47:04 AM

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: February 03, 2014, 08:07:38 AM

I'm curious how a sandbox game set in a sci-fi setting tranlates to contemporary sandbox.  I don't want Sims, I want SimBeru.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #50 on: February 04, 2014, 11:46:45 AM

I'd say we're looking at a game akin to persistent State of Decay or Rust, maybe even an updated Fallen Earth.  I'm hoping it's more revolutionary than that considering what they're doing with EQN. 

Take the H1N5 name (indicating a flu strain that might kill 99% of the world) and cross it with the pic of the church.  Maybe it's a survival game right after a mass extinction event?  The SWG skill system would fit into a survival, open world kind of game.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #51 on: February 04, 2014, 11:57:06 AM

Yes, SOE, please give us another survival sandbox zombie game. There aren't nearly enough of those to scratch this persistent, burning, rashy itch I have for more zombies.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #52 on: February 04, 2014, 03:34:08 PM

From @j_smedley:

so the SWG fans seem to hate the ideas I've mentioned if they aren't in a sci-fi game. Ok. My bad I guess. thought they might like it.

would you consider the show Revolution sci-fi?

Called it, sorta.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: February 04, 2014, 04:05:21 PM

It's not that some of us won't like it, but he shouldn't go saying SWG fans will love some post-apocalyptic setting just because it's a sandbox.  Star Wars was teaming with thousands of different species and all kinds of societies, from low-life dives to high court life.  There were spaceships and creatures and droids.

That's a lot different than trying to play in a survivalist sandbox.

Not that we should expect the head of a gaming company that made one of the biggest blunders in the industry understand the difference.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: February 04, 2014, 04:09:03 PM

SWG's only assert was that it was UO2 ( in space). You give me UO2/3 anywhere and I'm happy. I still own a keep on Atlantic

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: February 04, 2014, 05:43:53 PM

M-O-O-N.  That spells sandbox.

I'd be ok with some sort of near-extinction event scenario a la The Stand.  Anything but zombies, really.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #56 on: February 04, 2014, 05:56:49 PM

since SWTOR has/soon ended

Uh, yeah, no.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Subscription changes coming for soe  
Jump to: