Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 07:46:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2013 NFL Super Bowl Prediction Challenge 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2013 NFL Super Bowl Prediction Challenge  (Read 91407 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #385 on: February 05, 2014, 12:48:27 PM

You can spot the biases when we get into this stuff pretty easily.

I'll fully admit I'm biased against the mobile QB. I haven't seen that they can carry a team to success for anything more than brief periods. I wouldn't want to build around them, and I sure as hell wouldn't pay them huge contracts.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #386 on: February 05, 2014, 01:09:31 PM

Anyone who says Dan Marino was not a top QB is insane.

No one has ever had the ability to throw the touch pass as well as Marino.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #387 on: February 05, 2014, 01:11:15 PM

But he never won a Super Bowl so clearly he was terrible. If he really cared he'd have been out there on defense.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #388 on: February 05, 2014, 01:14:01 PM

Wait... Danny Wuerffel?  swamp poop

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #389 on: February 05, 2014, 01:15:51 PM

Wait... Danny Wuerffel?  swamp poop

Look who made that comment. Then do like most of us do and send it to the "this dude is crazy" bin.  why so serious?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #390 on: February 05, 2014, 01:21:18 PM

Nearly every living NFL QB (retired and active) would place Peyton in the top 10 QB's to ever play the game.  How on Earth can you think that he's overrated?  Have you not watched the way that he runs an offense in real time on the field?  How many QB's even have the football IQ to do that in the modern era?

Stating that a player is overrated and the concept that they are still pretty damned good are not mutually exclusive.  Manning is obviously a very, very good quarterback.  I don't think I would put him as "best of all time" or even in the top 5, but then he has 5 MVPs.  Favre is also a very, very good quarterback, but he's overrated too.  He has 3 MVPs.  I'd still take either of them on my team when they were in their prime.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #391 on: February 05, 2014, 01:22:03 PM

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #392 on: February 05, 2014, 01:39:31 PM

Dan Marino was a great passer, but he can't hold a kick for shit.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #393 on: February 05, 2014, 01:48:00 PM

Dan Marino was to passing what Barry Sanders was to running.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #394 on: February 05, 2014, 01:49:06 PM

That Sanders guy was fucking terrible. Didn't win shit.

Manning has been hurt by time.  The neck injuries have taken a toll on his arm strength, which was never Favre-like to begin with.   I think teams built somewhat wrongheadedly around Manning.  They keep foisting offensive weapons upon him that he really doesn't need.  Like Brady, he could turn just about anyone into a 1,000 yard receiver.  Get him on a team with a stout defense and I think he has a better playoff record.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 02:31:59 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #395 on: February 05, 2014, 01:51:22 PM

Dan Marino was a great passer, but he can't hold a kick for shit.

awesome, for real

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #396 on: February 05, 2014, 01:52:16 PM

That Sander's guy was fucking terrible. Didn't win shit.

That made me laugh out loud.  Thanks for that.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #397 on: February 05, 2014, 02:15:24 PM

Manning has been hurt by time.  The neck injuries have taken a toll on his arm strength, which was never Favre-like to begin with.   I think teams built somewhat wrongheadedly around Manning.  They keep foisting offensive weapons upon him that he really doesn't need.  Like Brady, he could turn just about anyone into a 1,000 yard receiver.  Get him on a team with a stout defense and I think he has a better playoff record.

I totally agree, and this is the problem with many GMs in the NFL right now. They believe too much in "weapons" and not enough in defense. The Falcons biggest problem right now is just that, they can't try to win the 4th quarter every game while the defense shits the bed.

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #398 on: February 05, 2014, 03:56:51 PM

Now you just climbed into the silly clown car.

Even the greatest of running backs (i.e., Simpson in his prime, Payton, Sanders) can sparkle at unprecedented level, but at best, can only lift a team to slightly above mediocre by their efforts alone. Not like QB who consistently win games and elevate their team into champions.

No, Marino, didn't play defense. But his playoff record is mediocre (go look it up). And I was a big fan of Dan Marino -- he grew up not far from me (2-3 miles) and I believe I played street hockey against him as a kid in Oakland (he went to Central Catholic before heading to Pitt) PA. Yet every big game he fell short.

It is subjective, but QB can indeed be measured by W-L, especially playoff time, when all the teams are more closely matched.

Sorry, but Roethlisberger > Manning. More SB. Done more with a lesser supporting cast. The Steeler teams helmed by O'Donnel and Stewart featured better D, offensive line and running backs (Bettis was at tail end of career and hobbled by time Roethlisberger cycled into his prime) yet they fell short in AFC championships (though the officials gave it to Denver with phantom PI calls back in 97) and SB. Manning's stats look better because he played most of his games in the pristine conditions of a dome whereas Roethlisberger plays 11-12 games a season in AFC North outdoor stadiums.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #399 on: February 05, 2014, 05:05:09 PM

It is subjective, but QB can indeed be measured by W-L, especially playoff time, when all the teams are more closely matched.

That's honestly almost as crazy as measuring pitchers by W-L. Football is even more of a team sport and you want to hang the game on the QB? Have you been watching Skip Bayless or something?

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #400 on: February 05, 2014, 05:12:41 PM

Heart

God Save the Horn Players
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #401 on: February 05, 2014, 07:12:40 PM

That's honestly almost as crazy as measuring pitchers by W-L. Football is even more of a team sport and you want to hang the game on the QB? Have you been watching Skip Bayless or something?

But the "greatness" of a pitcher is indeed measured by wins -- at least over the course of a career and 300 wins still holds luster for HoF voters.

But again, you're comparing apples to hammers as the best teams in baseball win slightly over 60% of games whereas football and it's limited schedule a great team easily wins 75%-90%+ and a QB is the most essential (even more so today than yesteryear given the emphasis on passing game and consistent repeated clampdown on defensive measures through recent decades).

Look at past SB winners -- since Dilfer & TB QB in 2002, SB victor has been led by elite QB. Wilson might not be level of Brady, Roethlisberger, Flacco, etc. (yet) but he's very good and along with Manning in the upper QB echelon. I just think Manning is in the same class with Wilson, below Brady, Roethlisberger, etc.. Yeah, if you go by stats alone, you can certainly make a case for Manning being the greatest, but football isn't like baseball -- it's a team sport, and winning is what matters. Even more pronounced for QB position -- while amassing a lot of yards and high YPA is indicative of a great runner, completing a lot of passes for a lot of yardage isn't necessarily emblematic of a great passer. Throw for 400 yards but fail to move the chains on a critical down or make the big play and the more efficient QB might be the one who maybe threw for 200 but made the big plays when the game was at a critical juncture.

Manning has mostly done that but I think there's a small class above that's done it on a more consistent basis in the big games.  Yeah I'm countervailing against announcer worship and stat fetishdom.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #402 on: February 05, 2014, 07:18:39 PM

You just put Flacco in the elite camp too?

Facepalm

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 07:25:11 PM by Chimpy »

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #403 on: February 05, 2014, 07:33:01 PM

Roethlisberger doesn't belong in the same conversation as Manning. You are high.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #404 on: February 05, 2014, 07:44:48 PM

Naum, you're buying into the bullshit ESPN version of football. It's not all about QB. It's an important position, but it's absolutely pointless without a decent offensive line, a semblance of a running game, a decent receiving core, and a defense.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #405 on: February 05, 2014, 07:49:32 PM

Even by your own insane standards Flacco could at best only be the equal (lol) of Manning because they've both won one championship.

Over and out.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #406 on: February 05, 2014, 08:03:49 PM

Naum, you're buying into the bullshit ESPN version of football. It's not all about QB. It's an important position, but it's absolutely pointless without a decent offensive line, a semblance of a running game, a decent receiving core, and a defense.

Without a great or very good/on the cusp QB, you're not winning a Superbowl. Maybe in 1974, but not 2014. Again, SCOREBOARD -- peruse the last decade of Superbowl winners and the importance of QB position is apparent.

Yes, offensive line, defense, running game are important but I point again to Steelers & Roethlisberger -- pre-Roethlisberger, Steelers were superior in every one of these facets, yet they fell short, in championship games and the first SB Cowher/O'Donnel (1995 v. Cowboys). Roethlisberger, with a shabby O-line, a decent D but nowhere near previous years, and a diminished running game and Steelers win 2 of 3 Super Bowls. This season, Steelers on cusp of  playoffs, despite having almost NO running game, an atrocious defense especially against the pass, and a decrepit offensive line -- all due to Roethlisberger mostly -- plug Matt Cassel as starting QB and they're 4-12 or worse.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: February 05, 2014, 08:30:58 PM

How many super bowl winners in the last decade had a top 10 defense? 

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 08:41:43 PM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #408 on: February 05, 2014, 09:19:40 PM

Roethlisberger, with a shabby O-line, a decent D but nowhere near previous years, and a diminished running game and Steelers win 2 of 3 Super Bowls.

What defenses nowhere near previous years and a diminished running game might look like:

Over and out.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #409 on: February 05, 2014, 10:17:03 PM

Manning is an elite QB with two glaring weaknesses.  One, he is prone to crack in big games when things are not going his way.  In general, big games just seem to have a way of getting to him.

Two, and this isn't entirely his own fault, he is given too much power on the field because of his admittedly super high football IQ.  As a result, when he begins to crack, his whole team is utterly doomed because the only adjustments you can make have to go through him.  For all intents and purposes, he calls all the offensive plays.

I still think he is one of the best all time, it's just that the flaws that he does have are killer ones, if you can find a way to expose them.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #410 on: February 05, 2014, 10:41:54 PM

Without a great or very good/on the cusp QB, you're not winning a Superbowl. Maybe in 1974, but not 2014. Again, SCOREBOARD -- peruse the last decade of Superbowl winners and the importance of QB position is apparent.

Eli is my QB and I am weirdly fond of him these days because he is just so gosh durn Eli, but I am pretty sure he was not what won that first Superbowl against the Patriots, even though he got the MVP.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #411 on: February 05, 2014, 10:45:40 PM

Going by scoring defense all the way back to 2000:

2013: Seahawks - 231pts (1st)
2012: Ravens - 344pts (12th)
2011: Giants - 400pts (25th)
2010: Packers - 240pts (2nd)
2009: Saints - 341pts (20th)
2008: Roethlisbergers - 223pts (1st)
2007: Giants - 351pts (17th)
2006: Colts - 360pts (23rd)
2005: Roethlisbergers - 258pts (3rd)
2004: Patriots - 260pts (2nd)
2003: Patriots - 238pts (1st)
2002: Buccaneers - 196pts (1st)
2001: Patriots - 272pts (6th)
2000: Ravens - 165pts (1st)

So the overrated Manning and Brees had to win their rings without a lot of help from their defense, while elite Roethlisberger was carried by his defense.  As an aside, also note that Brady hasn't been able to win a championship without a dominating defense backing him up.

Edit: Here, I'll color code the defenses in the top 10.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 11:04:20 PM by Nevermore »

Over and out.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #412 on: February 05, 2014, 10:48:23 PM

I want to say the 2011 Giants, a lot of their good defenders were hurt at various points in that season, and only all got healthy right at the end, too. But I could be high.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #413 on: February 05, 2014, 11:20:29 PM

Eli is my QB and I am weirdly fond of him these days because he is just so gosh durn Eli, but I am pretty sure he was not what won that first Superbowl against the Patriots, even though he got the MVP.

I actually think that, for at least a handful of plays, he played out of his mind and WAS the reason they won.  He was the anti-Peyton.  I'm not really a Giants fan by any stretch, but I remember watching that game and getting a strange feeling of pride for what he did.  You should be fond of Eli.  He'll never be considered good as Peyton, but I'd almost rather have him as my SB QB.

Edit for spelling.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 11:46:58 PM by Cyrrex »

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #414 on: February 05, 2014, 11:28:11 PM

Just to add to the "Naum is high" details nevermore posted, Pittsburgh was the #1 scoring defense the year they lost to Green Bay.
 why so serious?

EDIT:
Whoops, didn't see the previous spoiler tagged info.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 11:30:37 PM by Chimpy »

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #415 on: February 05, 2014, 11:40:15 PM

That win over the Seahawks was all him.  Elite level shit.  

At least he hasn't raped anyone or crashed a motorcycle lately.   
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 11:42:15 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #416 on: February 05, 2014, 11:48:35 PM

To be fair, there is no way for you to know that he hasn't raped someone lately.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #417 on: February 05, 2014, 11:57:54 PM

I actually think that, for at least a handful of plays, he played out of his mind and WAS the reason they won.  He was the anti-Peyton.  I'm not really a Giants fan by any stretch, but I remember watching that game and getting a strange feeling of pride for what he did.  You should be fond of Eli.  He'll never be considered good as Peyton, but I'd almost rather have him as my SB QB.

Edit for spelling.

The entire team played out of their mind that night, though. It was crazy awesome.  why so serious?

The second one I'm more willing to give Eli, simply because he had an awesome year and they wouldn't have made the playoffs without him, imo.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #418 on: February 06, 2014, 12:13:33 AM

The problem is this is kind of circular, isn't it?  Why are they great, because they've won Super Bowls?  Why did they win Super Bowls?  Because they're great!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #419 on: February 06, 2014, 06:44:59 AM

So the overrated Manning and Brees had to win their rings without a lot of help from their defense, while elite Roethlisberger was carried by his defense.  

That was precisely my point.  Though I do like the colors better. 

-  Mark Twain
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2013 NFL Super Bowl Prediction Challenge  
Jump to: