Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:46:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Marvel's Daredevil 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel's Daredevil  (Read 105359 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #385 on: March 10, 2023, 03:41:50 PM

I would love it if they'd build a "street-level" tier in the MCU universe but they've already got the same problem that the two major superhero universes have. Like, ok, Batman is up against it because Bane has broken open Arkham Asylum--he's exahusted, at the edge of death, and he doesn't call in all his pals because why? DC once tried to address this when Gotham got cut off after an earthquake and the US declared it no longer part of the US--the Justice League spent all their time keeping supervillains from invading it, so only Batman was left to deal with shit inside Gotham. Come on.

I get that Captain Marvel isn't going to be available to turn the Kingpin into a burned-out crisp but it's still going to be hard to figure out why DD and Spider-Man can't put in a ring to Captain America, She-Hulk and Valkyrie if they're up against something more than thugs with guns.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #386 on: March 10, 2023, 03:49:58 PM

The schilds of the world already get annoyed that Iron Man didn't show up in Captain America and the Winter Soldier to just solve the whole movie for Cap.

Everyone else just accepts that the other heroes are busy with their own shit at the time and this isn't their movie/show. Worrying about it is like worrying about every natural law most superpowers violate, or how inconsistent their power levels can be, or how even normal superheroes seem to recover from injury so quickly.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #387 on: March 10, 2023, 05:10:44 PM

The schilds of the world already get annoyed that Iron Man didn't show up in Captain America and the Winter Soldier to just solve the whole movie for Cap.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #388 on: March 10, 2023, 05:24:10 PM

I think the point is that if you're going to do street-level, you need to do one of four things:

a) characters who really don't play well with the powerful dudley do-rights (aka Punisher)  because they're willing to do things that other folks won't do (aka Clint Barton murdering half the world's crime bosses)
b) characters who don't play well with other children generally because that is just the way they are (Moon Knight, Blade) or have some other reason for avoiding other people (post-spell Spider-Man)
c) characters who are honestly dealing with shit that is so local (if meaningful) that it's genuinely a bad idea to call in a god or a national symbol to get involved--e.g. street-level heroes need street-level enemies.
d) characters who have such an ego/obsession going on with the sitch they're dealing with that they don't call anyone else in because it's THEIR PROBLEM. (This is basically Batman most of the time.)

All it takes is that you stick to those constraints. But the moment you've got Daredevil dealing with a threat to take over the entire world or whatever, that's when you lose the street-level thing.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #389 on: March 10, 2023, 09:33:11 PM

Thanks to the multiverse, they can absolutely pick and choose what they want to have in MCU canon from Daredevil. Or they can just not explain it, and just assume that whoever shows up in MCU shows is now canon. It's comic books. Most of the regular fans won't give a shit (me included) and normal people really won't give a shit.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #390 on: March 11, 2023, 08:59:57 AM

Just never explain it is definitely the right play here.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #391 on: March 11, 2023, 01:50:49 PM

Trying to explain every little detail of every little thing is one of the things that kills comics/scifi/fantasy writing, IMO. I'm all about having a complete story that ties up most of the threads well, but goddamn. I do not need a story explaining why Iron Fist isn't even mentioned in the modern MCU. After all, I watched it - no explanation needed. Just bring Coleen Wing back and I'm good.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #392 on: March 12, 2023, 06:15:26 AM

I could be there for some cameo of Ser Loras and Ward still just fucking around in bars in the far east somewhere.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #393 on: March 13, 2023, 11:21:43 AM

Trying to explain every little detail of every little thing is one of the things that kills comics/scifi/fantasy writing, IMO. I'm all about having a complete story that ties up most of the threads well, but goddamn. I do not need a story explaining why Iron Fist isn't even mentioned in the modern MCU. After all, I watched it - no explanation needed. Just bring Coleen Wing back and I'm good.

I can't agree more. Every time a franchise tries to explain something it ends up making it worse:

Star Wars: Midi-chlorians
Alien: The space jockey was just a tall, pale, bald dude.
Willy Wonka: Willy Wonka's dad was a mean dentist.

Obviously you want to avoid plot holes but I don't need to know that Captain Kirk is like he is because his step brother was mean to him or something. This is the number one reason I am usually leery of prequels, they seem to be made to explain stuff and remove all intrigue and mystery from the previous movies and/or books. In this case, if they have to explain Iron Fist or whoever at all, I don't need anymore than a quick line in an episode. "Oh, he's off punching people in the face in LA now."

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #394 on: March 13, 2023, 12:32:31 PM

I'm still hoping for a season of 70s blaxploitation Heroes for Hire with Deadpimp guesting.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #395 on: March 13, 2023, 03:32:27 PM

Part of the problem is that bad screenwriters and showrunners think that adding is the same thing as reinterpreting. Which it's not. To really reinterpret or reboot something, you gotta dig deep into the premise and say "nothing is quite what it seems". Alan Moore did one of the best examples of that when he wrote Swamp Thing. He didn't add a new complication, he said "everything you think you know about this character is wrong" and man, it worked. You can't do that without going really really all in on what you're doing.

You *can* add too in ways that are great but those additions need to be about something you didn't realize you needed to know but once you see them you realize you did. So Daredevil is a great example: for years and years in the comics, he just was this smart kid who was also pretty fit--admiring his boxer dad, somewhat secretively--and then he has a Superhero Accident and acquires supersenses (while losing his sight). Somehow he just trains up to be a fighter, he designs himself a billy club, and fights crime and super-villains. While also being a lawyer. But Frank Miller and a few other writers started thinking: wait, how did he learn to cope with blindness + supersenses? And fight so well? So that's where Stick came in, that's where Elektra came in, etc. and it all worked beautifully because it fit. It not only made sense, it made the character make sense.

At some point, you hit a limit of how much you can add that way. Comic book writers are more tempted than they should be because they are mostly forbidden to go in the other direction, which is to add meaningful things to the characters' lives by having new things happen to them.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #396 on: March 14, 2023, 08:18:11 AM

Or, hear me out...we could also:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Marvel's Daredevil  
Jump to: