Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 07:10:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Preparing for Fall and Winter Steam Sales (thx Snowden!) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Preparing for Fall and Winter Steam Sales (thx Snowden!)  (Read 57920 times)
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: December 02, 2013, 09:19:55 PM

Shadowrun, Fez, Far-cry 3 and Deus Ex 1 as a gift... I couldn't resist emptying my wishlist.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: December 03, 2013, 05:14:36 AM

I ended up getting the Sonic pack, Dragon Age Origin UE, and Dust at a total of $26.  Much better than previous years.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: December 03, 2013, 11:46:40 AM

I got of relatively light, I only got Shadow Warrior in addition to my previous post.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #73 on: December 03, 2013, 12:03:33 PM

Bought some stupid shit: Legend of Dungeon, Towns, and three different Wizardry games.  I can explain away two of those.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #74 on: December 03, 2013, 01:21:17 PM

Shadowrun and some Crusader Kings II DLC was all I bought on Steam. I bought Bioshock Infinite on Green Man Gaming and my public shame, Battlefield 4 on Origin.

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: December 03, 2013, 01:29:53 PM

I'd be curious to find out what everyone that picked up Shadowrun thinks of it.  I put a few hours into it but kind of just lost interest when I got stuck pretty bad at one point, just wasn't enjoying it enough or interested enough to slog through it and I never picked it up again.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: December 03, 2013, 01:59:37 PM

I picked up Bioshock Infinite, which was an okay value at 75% off... and that's it. I wanted to hold out for Anachronox and the Wiz6-8 bundle (I own both already, but could use a de-disking), but miscalculated the ending of the sale. Whoops!

I'd be curious to find out what everyone that picked up Shadowrun thinks of it.  I put a few hours into it but kind of just lost interest when I got stuck pretty bad at one point, just wasn't enjoying it enough or interested enough to slog through it and I never picked it up again.
Well, it's a $20 game... for that, I think it's more than worth it. The tactical gameplay isn't anywhere near JA2/XCOM, and the plot is super-linear, plus it's fairly short (10-12 hrs). However, the writing is consistently good in the first half of the game (it gets kinda 'eh' in the second half after the asylum), and the combat encounters definitely ramp up in difficulty as well, with some memorable setups later on (like the one where combat takes place in cyberspace and meatspace at the same time as well as the fights against *spoilers* in the second half). The game is also very canon-friendly, which I liked as an oldschool Shadowrun pen-and-paper player.

That said, the real strength of the game is (going to be) in user-created campaigns, as the editor is really powerful. In fact, it is probably the best thing you can get if you want an isometric party-based RPG 'engine' right now, even considering its shortcomings (like the save system, which is going to be made more functional in January). According to steam, I sunk about 119 hours into SRR so far, and I'm pretty sure 105+ of that was in the editor. Plus another 40 or so hours of editor time when I fired it up outside steam awesome, for real
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 02:05:00 PM by Zetor »

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #77 on: December 03, 2013, 02:00:50 PM

I backed Shadowrun with crowdfunding, played maybe an hour and got bored with it.

I got off real easy with the sale, had about a dozen Rocksmith 2014 tunes in the cart and they 'fixed' the 'problem' with the DLC being marked down. So those will wait for xmas (I hope). I do kind of wish I had bought the zombie thing folks are talking about, sounds cool.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #78 on: December 03, 2013, 02:42:29 PM

I can explain away two of those.

I spent more than I usually do, but I had been drinking. Little known fact, alcohol lowers inhibitions.  Works on video game sales, too!

I also snagged a $30/yr PSN+ membership from Amazon.  I have a feeling it will pay for itself.  $30 is a good pricepoint.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: December 03, 2013, 02:45:07 PM

Lets see.

Contagion
Call of Juarez - Gunslinger
Max Payne 3
Tomb Raider
Shadow Warrior

Which was stupid, I play way to much Dota2 at the moment to have time to enjoy or even play these.  awesome, for real

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: December 03, 2013, 03:05:50 PM

Shadowrun
Albion Prelude
Saints Row IV + its DLC
Terraria

Aside from buying two copies of SR4 and its DLC (one for me, the other for the lady), I got off pretty light.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: December 03, 2013, 11:39:43 PM

Spent $5 on DLC... I'm proud of me

Besides, the Christmas sale is coming...

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: December 04, 2013, 12:08:27 AM

Just looking at my 12% completion rate on Steam, I really need to stop buying new games. Facepalm
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: December 04, 2013, 12:13:20 AM

I'd be curious to find out what everyone that picked up Shadowrun thinks of it.  I put a few hours into it but kind of just lost interest when I got stuck pretty bad at one point, just wasn't enjoying it enough or interested enough to slog through it and I never picked it up again.

Shadowrun is one of the few games I have on Steam thats part of my 12% completion.  The writing and story were excellent even though it started to fall apart at the end.  I've actually been looking for some other games that are similar that aren't 10+ years old.  UnderRail looks interesting but its a Steam Early Access game so its not finished yet.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/250520
Xilren's Twin

Reply #84 on: December 04, 2013, 03:42:33 AM

I'd be curious to find out what everyone that picked up Shadowrun thinks of it.  I put a few hours into it but kind of just lost interest when I got stuck pretty bad at one point, just wasn't enjoying it enough or interested enough to slog through it and I never picked it up again.

While the game itself is fine (aside from the save point stuff which will be changed) Shadowrun suffers a little from the same syndrome as the old NWN games - if the included campaign isn't interesting enough, many people don't bother to dig into the toolset (or even realize it exists).  Personally, i enjoyed it well enough for the price point, but i'm primarily waiting for expansions and user created campaigns.  I am hopeful that much like NWN1, there will be many more hours of enjoyment with the additions user created content will bring.  Setting is good, and gameplay mechanics are fine, just needs content.

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: December 04, 2013, 04:35:15 AM

I pretty much assumed that buying shadowrun was as a ticket to where it's going and that the provided campaign was mostly a demo. So I'm not really in a hurry to play it.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: December 04, 2013, 12:26:24 PM

I thought the campaign was fine, but extremely easy when played on normal level.

I am the .00000001428%
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: December 04, 2013, 04:24:50 PM

I greatly enjoyed the campaign, and I'm kind of interested in playing it again on a different character and probably harder difficulty.

When the Berlin expandalone comes out in January (with a slew of editor upgrades), I might even dabble in modding it.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: December 06, 2013, 02:14:11 AM

When exactly does the winter version of the sale begin?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #89 on: December 06, 2013, 04:16:59 AM

Last year it was December 20th to January 4th.  So probably something very similar.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #90 on: December 06, 2013, 07:20:03 AM

I believe they say 19th.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: December 06, 2013, 08:37:46 AM

When exactly does the winter version of the sale begin?

... It's in the very first post in this thread.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #92 on: December 19, 2013, 06:57:43 AM

So,Winter/Xmas sale starting in a few hours; given my ever growing backlog of games, I don't think I'll purchase anything significant this time. I have a wishlist containing some early access games, but I'm willing to wait for all of them: still, if they lowered the price for Blackguards and DayZ, I might give in.

I'll definitely gift The Walking Dead S1 to my father; will wait summer for Europa Universalis IV, while I might purchase Bioshock:Infinite if/when it gets an 80% discount.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: December 19, 2013, 07:07:22 AM

My watch list:

- State of Decay
- Bioshock Infinite
- Walking Dead: 400 Days/Season 2
- Spacebase DF9

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #94 on: December 19, 2013, 10:55:51 AM

I think the only thing I might jump on is The Wolf Among Us.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #95 on: December 19, 2013, 11:05:06 AM

First flash sale...Garbage

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #96 on: December 19, 2013, 11:30:43 AM

I don't know, I'm thinking of getting The Typing of The Dead: Overkill. I need to ask schild if it's any good awesome, for real
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: December 19, 2013, 12:56:01 PM

I have been eyeballin' 'Monaco' and finally pulled the trigger. I want the Civ 5 expansion, but I think it'll go better than 50% off.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: December 19, 2013, 01:23:42 PM

I have been eyeballin' 'Monaco' and finally pulled the trigger. I want the Civ 5 expansion, but I think it'll go better than 50% off.

As always, the rule is to NOT buy anything unless it's on a Flash or Daily Deal.

beer geek.
schpain
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: December 19, 2013, 01:50:09 PM

grab some friends and play monaco with 3+ people, you won't be disappointed murdoc.  especially if your friends are trolls and pick the mole.

*Should be working*
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: December 19, 2013, 05:18:29 PM

I'm only waiting for Borderlands 2 I think.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: December 19, 2013, 05:21:45 PM

I'd like to see the XCOM expansion drop to 50% off at least.

Edit:
I don't know, I'm thinking of getting The Typing of The Dead: Overkill. I need to ask schild if it's any good awesome, for real

It's actually pretty good, although the shitty lip-sync in the cutscenes bothers me.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 07:45:31 PM by Rendakor »

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: December 19, 2013, 09:00:15 PM

I finally picked up FTL. :)
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: December 20, 2013, 05:06:04 AM

So in a potentially wallet devastating move, I found a site that keeps track of steam sale prices and it shows all the hidden/non-featured sales
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: December 20, 2013, 07:42:31 AM

Is teh new batman terrible or something - it's already 50% off today.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Preparing for Fall and Winter Steam Sales (thx Snowden!)  
Jump to: