Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:39:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Preparing for Fall and Winter Steam Sales (thx Snowden!) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Preparing for Fall and Winter Steam Sales (thx Snowden!)  (Read 56543 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

on: November 03, 2013, 01:18:29 AM

A Russian software dev that got their game Greenlit on Steam sometime ago leaked the above image to the net.  Not sure if the dates are going to change at this point, as Valve is investigating the leak, but if not, we can at least now prepare our wallets accordingly.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 08:19:36 AM

I think the more interesting aspect of the leak is that the deals for both sales are the same, so it seems the "don't buy anything that's not a daily/voting deal" mantra now means don't buy anything the first sale and wait for the 2nd sale.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 05:55:19 PM

December 19th will be a good day for me.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 11:41:59 PM

I think the more interesting aspect of the leak is that the deals for both sales are the same, so it seems the "don't buy anything that's not a daily/voting deal" mantra now means don't buy anything the first sale and wait for the 2nd sale.

Why? Anything from a flash/daily across either sale should be just as good as one another...

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 05:12:23 AM

Why? Anything from a flash/daily across either sale should be just as good as one another...

Yeah sorry, what I should have said si "don't buy anything in the first sale unless it's flash/voting deal"
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 08:36:48 AM

So, theoretically this should be kicking off in a few hours ...

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 08:53:46 AM

So, theoretically this should be kicking off in a few hours ...

10am pacific, most likely.

Edit: And, it's live: http://store.steampowered.com/

Though at the time of posting, the prices have not updated.

Edit: keep scrolling.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 10:11:31 AM by sickrubik »

beer geek.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 10:41:09 AM

Fall sale? Why?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 10:55:15 AM

Black Friday/Cyber Monday.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 11:51:10 AM

beer geek.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 12:17:22 PM

Hey, space hulk is 66% off.  Maybe I'll try it now.   why so serious?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 12:26:26 PM

Not cheap enough.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 06:13:02 PM

Oo, Walking Dead.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 06:16:36 PM

Gone Home is really worth the $5 it's at right now.

-Rasix
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 06:31:23 PM

Yup.

Sleeping Dogs is also well, well worth $5

Walking Dead 400 days is also 50% off - just not obvious from the main page - so thats well worth $2.50.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 06:37:07 PM

Game length says 2 hours to complete. Is this accurate?

Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 07:24:59 PM

And once again Steam's wish list email notification fails spectacularly. All six of the games on my wish list are on sale,  and no emails.
Rasix

Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 08:11:02 PM

Game length says 2 hours to complete. Is this accurate?

Yes.

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 08:13:36 PM

Ok thanks!

Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 10:16:21 PM

At the top of the Steam intro page it has its AUTUMN SALE 2013 banner, and the date. If you scroll to the very bottom you'll find it upside down, with the correct date, but SPRING SALE 2013. I think someone forgot to update all the parts of the graphic DRILLING AND MANLINESS.
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 10:59:15 PM

No, you'll find those of us who are in the correct hemisphere have SPRING SALE at the top..
Ratadm
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 10:59:33 PM

At the top of the Steam intro page it has its AUTUMN SALE 2013 banner, and the date. If you scroll to the very bottom you'll find it upside down, with the correct date, but SPRING SALE 2013. I think someone forgot to update all the parts of the graphic DRILLING AND MANLINESS.
Look at the entire graphic again, it's actually quite clever.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #22 on: November 28, 2013, 04:56:46 AM

Ok thanks!
Just an FYI, its not a game, its a visual novel.  You basically just walk through a house and read/look at things that narrate a story to you.  Similar to dear Esther, if you know of that.  So if that sort of thing isn't, well, your thing, then you should probably skip it.

$5 I think is about the right price for it.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #23 on: November 28, 2013, 06:07:28 AM

That's why I asked, it's likely not my thing. Then again, I own a bunch of shit on Steam for $5 or less that's not my thing. However, I will give this a chance someday, but I usually have a $1 per hour rule on games.

Rasix

Reply #24 on: November 28, 2013, 07:44:49 AM

It's really not for everyone.  I was unsure at first, but it was well worth the time playing.  $5-$10 is about what I'd say the experience is worth.  

If you equate it into "going to a movie" but for less and you don't have to leave your house, then I think the value evaluation works.  $1/hour is going to miss some gems and honestly doesn't pass muster for a lot of release games.

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #25 on: November 28, 2013, 07:55:36 AM

I don't go to the movies anymore though. I didn't find the value worth it. I've moved almost all that money into sports tickets, if not more.

The $1 per hour thing isn't perfect, but I'm cheap with games these days. My Atlanta Braves and UGA Bulldogs claim a large portion of the remaining entertainment budget.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 28, 2013, 09:27:38 AM

Should I get Batman Arkham City for $15?
Rasix

Reply #27 on: November 28, 2013, 09:33:42 AM

$15 bucks seems like a lot.  I think I got it at a different sale for $5. 

The movie thing was just a measurement.  I haven't been to a movie in years. I just find time to money ratio doesn't always work with cheap indie titles.  You still end up getting a lot out of them; just all at once.

-Rasix
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 28, 2013, 10:17:41 AM

Is Game Dev Tycoon worth $5?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #29 on: November 28, 2013, 10:34:59 AM

Green Man Gaming is doing a 4 games on sale every 4 hours promotion. For the next 90 minutes, they have Bioshock Infinite for $9.99 - and if you use the coupon code TAREM-4PLAY-VOUCH, you get 20% off that. I got it for $8. They also have Company of Heroes 2, Chivalry and GTA Complete Collection (everything but V obviously) on sale for that time period at varying % off.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 28, 2013, 11:07:25 AM

I had fun with it and don't regret my purchase, but I don't think there's much replayability.  Probably the most fun I had was naming the games and stuff ("Congratulations, our new release, 'Bea Arthur, Werewolf Detective' has sold 5 million units!") but since the game is re-creating the history of real life video games (but with vaguely fakey names) it's the same for every playthrough, and the base gameplay doesn't change or anything.

I had fun until I got bored, though.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 28, 2013, 12:21:19 PM

Should I get Batman Arkham City for $15?

Should have grabbed it with the humble bundle last week. 

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #32 on: November 28, 2013, 01:50:29 PM

I broke at Dishonored GOTY for 16 at GMG.  I wish the van helsing DLC would go on sale.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: November 28, 2013, 02:10:40 PM

I had fun with it and don't regret my purchase, but I don't think there's much replayability.  Probably the most fun I had was naming the games and stuff ("Congratulations, our new release, 'Bea Arthur, Werewolf Detective' has sold 5 million units!") but since the game is re-creating the history of real life video games (but with vaguely fakey names) it's the same for every playthrough, and the base gameplay doesn't change or anything.

Thanks, going to pass then. I was expecting something more free-form.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: November 28, 2013, 02:20:35 PM

Thanks, going to pass then. I was expecting something more free-form.

To be clear, you can "make" just about any game you want, the unchangeable aspect of it is the rest of the market.  You know the C64 is always going to fail, for example, and the NES is always going to be huge.  There's no way to make a really high quality N-Gage title that makes Nokia a major player in the console industry or anything.  And since the only difference (from a gameplay perspective) between making, say, a Pirate themed action/RPG and a spreadsheet accountant simulator is the position of some sliders, there's not much incentive to go back and re-try different things for that reason.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Preparing for Fall and Winter Steam Sales (thx Snowden!)  
Jump to: