Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:56:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen turns out to be a real game (real bad, geddit?) 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen turns out to be a real game (real bad, geddit?)  (Read 326588 times)
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #140 on: January 13, 2014, 01:06:18 PM

Why should a digital download be a KS tier reward?  How the fuck is he going to distribute the game other than download?  Is he going to try and actually sell the download?

If you're talking about the rewards from the $45 and $100 tiers, that just means that you've paid in advance. When the game is released, you won't have to pay at that time to download it.

My point is that he is crazy if he thinks anyone is actually going to have to pay for it.  MMOs always end up giving the client away.

I have never played WoW.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: January 13, 2014, 01:10:09 PM

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #142 on: January 13, 2014, 01:12:22 PM

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: January 13, 2014, 01:16:56 PM

I think he should start telling people is another TCG MMO with similar mechanics to Magic.  That seems to do the trick. awesome, for real
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: January 13, 2014, 01:19:27 PM

Please, gimme picture/gif of a GIGANTIC bowl of popcorns  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

This should suffice

Or perhaps this.

Hic sunt dracones.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #145 on: January 13, 2014, 01:59:52 PM

These stretch goals are hilarious.

Oh boy, we get crafting at 2.5 million!

"Water Content"

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #146 on: January 13, 2014, 02:01:07 PM

Water Content means Brad wets his pants if he gets that much cash.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #147 on: January 13, 2014, 02:09:16 PM

An that would still be less than a tenth of money he needs to do what he purposes. How can KS MMO projects not be a scam?

"Me am play gods"
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #148 on: January 13, 2014, 04:05:17 PM

Please, gimme picture/gif of a GIGANTIC bowl of popcorns  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

This should suffice

you guys never disappoint  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 04:10:43 PM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: January 13, 2014, 04:31:33 PM

Please make sure to post an updated version of this every so often.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: January 13, 2014, 05:19:10 PM

The kickstarter is obviously being used to prove consumer interest in the game to secure external investment. If he brings in a couple million, he might get what he wants. Kicktraq predicts around $1m, though, and it is usually spot on.

Also got to hand it to him, Vision(tm)ary Entertainment is pretty funny.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #151 on: January 14, 2014, 03:24:34 AM

Oh lord, the comments.  I'd forgotten just how many sad and failed people there were until I perused them

"Everquest changed my life!"
Bring back zones "I love trains".  No leasing so I can mite

"Bring back the 'golden age' of the MMO. Don't let us down.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: January 14, 2014, 04:27:37 AM

After viewing the KS hype video, I'm convinced that they're trying to make a game so group-based and 1st gen that it'll make FFXI look like WoW.  Considering that FFXI made EQ look like WoW, I'm just going to enjoy the popcorn as this thing drives itself into obscurity and McQuaid takes his KS millions to the Caribbean, never to be heard from again (until he runs out of money again, of course).

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: January 14, 2014, 06:01:14 AM

I have some behind the scene gossip that Brad is going to make this game so hardcore/difficult it's going to make dark souls look like tic-tac-toe.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #154 on: January 14, 2014, 06:27:53 AM

Comparing a McQuaid's game to Dark Souls is like comparing truffle hunting to polar bears hunting. They are both difficult, just a very different kind of difficult.

Also, Dark Souls was so easy compared to Demon's Souls.

sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: January 14, 2014, 06:53:51 AM

Speaking only to original release and the first expansion, EQ wasn't difficult at all. The harsh failure penalties forced players to be heavily risk-averse. It was just extremely time consuming. No real skill or mastery was required, very much unlike dark souls.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: January 14, 2014, 07:23:03 AM

Is there even room in the marketplace for this game?  It seems like the high fantasy MMORPG market is saturated at the moment.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: January 14, 2014, 08:11:48 AM

Is there even room in the marketplace for this game?  It seems like the high fantasy MMORPG market is saturated at the moment.

Oh I am sure that the niche of asshats that want EQ with "more cockstab" is still a marketplace. It is just an infintessimally small one.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #158 on: January 14, 2014, 08:17:38 AM

The kickstarter is obviously being used to prove consumer interest in the game to secure external investment. If he brings in a couple million, he might get what he wants. Kicktraq predicts around $1m, though, and it is usually spot on.

Still feel like this a scam since the kickstarter is for a game to made not a tech demo to get real funding.

"Me am play gods"
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: January 14, 2014, 08:33:27 AM

Comparing a McQuaid's game to Dark Souls is like comparing truffle hunting to polar bears hunting. They are both difficult, just a very different kind of difficult.

Also, Dark Souls was so easy compared to Demon's Souls.

You're looking way too deep into the analogy dude, good job.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #160 on: January 14, 2014, 08:54:05 AM

He got a Kotaku link today, so it might be a good day for funding. Kicktraq doesn't seem to have reacted much though.

Kickstarter is the best worst thing to happen to gaming.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: January 14, 2014, 08:58:04 AM

After viewing the KS hype video, I'm convinced that they're trying to make a game so group-based and 1st gen that it'll make FFXI look like WoW.  Considering that FFXI made EQ look like WoW, I'm just going to enjoy the popcorn as this thing drives itself into obscurity and McQuaid takes his KS millions to the Caribbean, never to be heard from again (until he runs out of money again, of course).
He has to reach the goal to run away to the Caribbean.  If trends continue, he won't be leaving the States.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: January 14, 2014, 09:11:22 AM

I don't have that much faith in gaming's humanity.  I fully expect this thing to get funded into the millions.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: January 14, 2014, 09:12:57 AM

Politicians get hundreds of millions in donations and deliver nothing.  I fail to see how kickstarter is any different.  why so serious?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #164 on: January 14, 2014, 10:44:51 AM

This game is SO hardcore, even the graphics are harder to look at than EQ!!
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: January 14, 2014, 10:58:16 AM

LKickstarter status:

622Backers

$56,390pledged of $800,000 goal

Link for the lazy

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen

5 people have pledged $1000 or more, and 14 have $500 or more  ACK!

Gamers and their money are soon parted.

Hic sunt dracones.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #166 on: January 14, 2014, 11:15:07 AM

Speaking only to original release and the first expansion, EQ wasn't difficult at all. The harsh failure penalties forced players to be heavily risk-averse. It was just extremely time consuming. No real skill or mastery was required, very much unlike dark souls.

You are correct and this can't be understated.  The game was NEVER hard, it was always time-consuming.  Which is why the catasses with nothing else loved it so much.  Your achievement in game relied heavily on being able to sit at it for hours and hours.  So if you had no responsibilities and could do just that you became a god in the game.

Which is why I'd love to see how many people slam into the brick wall of reality that they're no longer 15-24 and can't maintain a career and family and do that anymore.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: January 14, 2014, 11:16:30 AM

Ahahaha.

So, all those tiers except the first one - which gets you nothing - are limited. Those tiers above the first only add up to 972,500 dollars. So he's created a bunch of stretch goals he literally cannot hit without people donating millions of dollars without even a promised reward. His *very first* stretch goal is unreachable with actual rewarded tiers.

why so serious?

I figured this out. This is like the old-school player housing model in which there are only so many places in the (non-instanced) world where players can get a deed and build a house. First come, first served. Only the most hardcore will be rewarded.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: January 14, 2014, 11:19:46 AM

You are correct and this can't be understated.  The game was NEVER hard, it was always time-consuming.  Which is why the catasses with nothing else loved it so much.  Your achievement in game relied heavily on being able to sit at it for hours and hours.  So if you had no responsibilities and could do just that you became a god in the game.

Which is why I'd love to see how many people slam into the brick wall of reality that they're no longer 15-24 and can't maintain a career and family and do that anymore.

This guy (either a troll or a genuine lurker) said almost the exact same thing on that rerolled thread, earlier today  why so serious?

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: January 14, 2014, 11:57:32 AM

If I wanted to make a hardcore MMO, I would make sure the difficulty factor doesn't equal time spent staring at the screen grinding mundane shit. I don't mind a game that takes months to get somewhere as long as the game is fun to play in the mean time. I like hard encounters, I like challenging fights whether they are for 1 person, 5 people or 40. The majority of MMO content is easy.

Most people don't want a hardcore MMO, which is fine. I would love to see that option though.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #170 on: January 14, 2014, 11:58:35 AM

This guy (either a troll or a genuine lurker) said almost the exact same thing on that rerolled thread, earlier today  why so serious?

And was promptly ignored.  Amazing how often people only see or think about what they want rather than what the facts start to show or imply.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: January 14, 2014, 12:08:50 PM

Trust me, there are plenty of people on Rerolled that want nothing more to sit at a computer 6-8 hours a day and play this game. There are plenty of people that do that for other games that they discuss over there.

Don't fool yourself to think just because you don't have time that there are plenty of people out there that actually do. These people are actively playing P99 and Vanguard in groups.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: January 14, 2014, 12:14:13 PM

Are there enough to get this KS to $800k?

sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: January 14, 2014, 12:18:34 PM

That niche ABSOLUTELY exists. Those people aren't "wrong" simply because they don't agree with everybody in this thread. The question is whether the niche is large enough to support MMO development. Vanguard predicts the answer is no.

Like I said earlier, Kicktraq tends to be spot-on. I fully expect this game to fund around ~$1.1m. The question is whether that's enough support to convince publishers to invest further, because you can't make a MMO for one million dollars.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 12:21:24 PM by sam, an eggplant »
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: January 14, 2014, 12:39:32 PM

Trust me, there are plenty of people on Rerolled that want nothing more to sit at a computer 6-8 hours a day and play this game. There are plenty of people that do that for other games that they discuss over there.

Don't fool yourself to think just because you don't have time that there are plenty of people out there that actually do. These people are actively playing P99 and Vanguard in groups.
Yeah, but fuck those guys. They're wrong, I'm right. They lose, I win.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen turns out to be a real game (real bad, geddit?)  
Jump to: