Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:02:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: A half-way point between MUDs and full-blown MMOs... why not? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A half-way point between MUDs and full-blown MMOs... why not?  (Read 17977 times)
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: October 25, 2013, 01:51:53 PM

I, I don't understand what you mean or want. Can you list the features you want?

I should probably 'show' rather than 'tell'. Here's a video from a classic ZZT game, Ned the Knight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTHb7qusnyU

Ned the Knight did a lot with a little. Sword-swinging-y ARPG gameplay, essentially ASCII Zelda. (Sword swinging wasn't a default behavior available in ZZT, but it only takes about 15 minutes of simple scripting to script it in). I wish there were middleware out there to build something like that, but multiplayer.

For a more puzzle-y focus, here's a video of an old ZZT game called Winter, which has no combat, only puzzle solving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y46meaH7rM

You can get a sense of what I'm looking to build from these, I think. "The same sort of thing as was possible then, but multiplayer."

I'm not sure you're fully thinking through the implications of going from single player to multiplayer.
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 26, 2013, 11:30:11 PM

I'm not sure you're fully thinking through the implications of going from single player to multiplayer.

There are many, many implications of that switch, obviously -- but I'm not saying "the exact same thing but multiplayer", rather "in the same vein".
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: December 31, 2013, 09:09:24 PM

Hee hee, #zap :) Perfect name. Will definitely follow this project...
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: January 28, 2014, 10:57:08 PM

Lets poke it with sticks and see what happens.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #39 on: January 28, 2014, 11:20:37 PM

It is very possible

Nurse!! There is a bot in my thread!

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: A half-way point between MUDs and full-blown MMOs... why not?  
Jump to: