Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:02:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: 2.5 Preview 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2.5 Preview  (Read 38167 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 07:57:10 AM

I'm digging the assassin. Great for soloing Heroic 2+. Stealth through, mind trap one mob, take the others down, use emergency in-combat stealth if needed to break the combat. Just great solo control, almost as good as the old EQ1 necro used to be.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: December 08, 2013, 08:26:00 PM

They've buffed the Consular/Inquisitor quite a bit since a year ago.  Or at least it seems that way to me.  Taking the Sage DPS talent tree, it's a lot more WoW mage than priest.  A lot of the talents either make your abilities hit again (for free) and/or make them instant, so it's pretty awesome to get a 6-shot insta-cast opener and take the boss to half health before your pet even leaps to attack.  Add the crowd control ability and multiple interrupts, and I've soloed equal-level heroic areas with 2 bosses and 3+ minions in each pull. 

Having fun.

The extended double-XP Thanksgiving weekend got me to 25 or so on just class quest and some space missions, and now I have 12 free bonus xp cards that I got awarded as quest rewards that I have to use.  Legacy unlocks mean I can teleport to the mission hubs every 10 minutes, to the fleet every second, and to the ship every hour.  Between those 3, I almost don't need my speeder.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: December 09, 2013, 02:45:37 AM

Really ?  That sounds interesting.  Got a link to your build by any chance ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: December 09, 2013, 07:26:39 AM

I'm in the Assassin(Shadow) stealth dps tree. A couple nice tweaks for getting around, after a while slogging through every mob ever started getting tiring. But it's also based on similar free/instant/triggered stuff. Main thing is paying attention enough to notice which one is up for free/instant. I made my buff icons much bigger which helped a lot.

Still pretty squishy and I do miss having Sorcerer healing for Khem, even in blue gear he drops pretty regularly and I don't last long after that without ditching combat entirely.

Double xp weekend got me into the 30s, but I was around level 20 when it started.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #39 on: December 09, 2013, 10:40:56 AM

I've mostly been playing Republic side lately but I think I set it so everyone in Bot Country on Ebon Hawk has invite/promote permissions. I can check it tomorrow, I have a deployment tonight so I won't be able to get on.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #40 on: December 09, 2013, 02:11:29 PM

I'm in the Assassin(Shadow) stealth dps tree. A couple nice tweaks for getting around, after a while slogging through every mob ever started getting tiring. But it's also based on similar free/instant/triggered stuff. Main thing is paying attention enough to notice which one is up for free/instant. I made my buff icons much bigger which helped a lot.

Still pretty squishy and I do miss having Sorcerer healing for Khem, even in blue gear he drops pretty regularly and I don't last long after that without ditching combat entirely.

Double xp weekend got me into the 30s, but I was around level 20 when it started.

You might want to try bumming around with Andronikos (or Ashara when you get her), I found burning things down quicker to be a little more successful than hoping Khem outlasts whatever we were fighting.

God Save the Horn Players
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: December 09, 2013, 03:20:13 PM

Yeah, I just got Nicky and was getting wasted in his initial quest, beat the guy down with Khem tanking and then pulled out Andronikos to do the dialog. I'd have to gear up Niko...luckily my old main was a BH so I should be able to whip up some good crafted gear. Speaking of, not a fan of the new schematic grind, at least the old one let you keep the items while you ground out schematic upgrades (blue etc).
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: December 09, 2013, 05:06:37 PM

What's the new way?

BTw speaking of crafting I've noticed I can't queue a bunch of items anymore. Is that because I'm not sub'd or did they nerf crafting?
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #43 on: December 09, 2013, 06:10:06 PM

I am subbed and I can queue 5 items per crew person, so it might be a sub thing? I honestly don't know.

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: December 09, 2013, 07:22:31 PM

Really ?  That sounds interesting.  Got a link to your build by any chance ?

Just level 33 now, I don't really want to visit the talent build sites since they sometimes have viruses in the ads.  They've pretty much removed choice from the talent builds by discouraging cross-speccing.  You just pick a tree (Heal, DPS, or PVP) and just go up the tree.  It pretty much clearly says "30% that ability X will fire again" or "50% chance that the next time you use ability X will be instant cast," and there are 4-6 of those in the tree. 

So, if lucky, I cast a 1.5 second Disturbance blast, which then shoots again and makes the next AoE Telekinetic Wave instacast and freecast, so I shoot that and it hits twice (takes out all the minions), and then I activate the normally instant Project which shoots two big rocks instead of 1, and continue with the channeled TK throw (pebbles).  Basically 6 shots in quick succession, followed by a stream of pebbles.  The rest of the talents in the tree make me crit like crazy and make minions get stunned by almost any attack from me, so they spend a lot of time prone on the ground.

Against bosses I open with a 2-second-cast mind crush dot and instacast weaken mind dot, and send the tank in.  The minions around the boss gather on my tank, and so it's the perfect time to continue with the 6-shot sequence above, then refresh the dots and do one more 6-shot.  By now I'm shooting AoE's at the lone boss, but who cares as they don't cost mana and do damage.  It's pretty cool. 

Only issue is, I have a priest shield, a fast heal, and a slow 3-second heal, and it's very hard to keep the pet tank up with those.  Basically, kill fast or Qyzen dies.

The healing talent tree is completely different; you get NONE of the niceties above, and instead get a lot of the WoW druid HOTs, complete with crits and bonus AoE healing happening based on what triggers.   It's very druidy, but for damage you're reduced to non-critting 1.5 and 3-second casts, so you'll do maybe 3 spells by the time I do the rotation.  Healing, though, you'll dance with 3-5 tanks around me.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: December 09, 2013, 07:26:41 PM

What's the new way?
Where you get schematic upgrades (the blue version etc) from disassembling the item rather than from making the item. That's a new thing to me, anyway. At least the old way you had the items you were grinding, I'm sure that's why they changed it to kill some of the bloat in the GTN. But it's brutal to start destroying blues like that, vs pumping out a bunch of blues to advance to a purple. It really kills any motivation to make purples while leveling up, and I don't play at the cap, so....blah.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: December 09, 2013, 08:02:16 PM

What's the new way?
Where you get schematic upgrades (the blue version etc) from disassembling the item rather than from making the item. That's a new thing to me, anyway. At least the old way you had the items you were grinding, I'm sure that's why they changed it to kill some of the bloat in the GTN. But it's brutal to start destroying blues like that, vs pumping out a bunch of blues to advance to a purple. It really kills any motivation to make purples while leveling up, and I don't play at the cap, so....blah.

Yeah it's been that way for awhile. I just level in blues for the most part.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: December 09, 2013, 08:39:54 PM

What's the new way?

Head scratch Weird, I don't remember it ever being like you describe. Old age.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #48 on: December 09, 2013, 09:54:00 PM

Leveling up in certain crafts (synthweaving and armormech only, I think), there are occasionally random blue recipes you didn't have to RE for. It doesn't exist in, say, cybertech or whatever. So it's not actually a new thing, some crafts (and Ingmar leveled cybertech first) have always been that way. It's not a change.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: December 09, 2013, 09:56:24 PM

I remember Biotech you always had to disassemble or whatever the stuff you made to try and learn the blue and purple space potions and implants (or was it ear pieces?  I forget).

Over and out.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: December 09, 2013, 10:32:20 PM

It's a change to those you didn't have to RE before. Synthweaving, artifice, armormech are three I'm working and it sucks a bit harder now.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: January 13, 2014, 02:01:05 PM

Still complaining about crafting and RE, heh. I gave up on it for my Assassin, it just burnt up too many resources without leaving me anything to recoup costs. Trying to get it going for some alts, but it's pretty annoying and I generally craft up stuff for all my alts in most mmo.

Finished the Assassin story line, sooo much better than the Bounty Hunter story imo. Lots of !!! moments and real good Sithiness.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: January 13, 2014, 02:05:18 PM

It's not really worth it to RE up to purples except for current-endgame mods and the special biotech stuff, IMO. Even the mods are questionable.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: January 13, 2014, 03:50:37 PM

I found it handy to do so when I first played, it allowed me to solo many of the champion mobs on each planet (powertech/mako) . But then I could dump the blues on the market. I just can't afford to do it now. Even with being overlevel and geared from the next planet's comm vendors, I couldn't tackle any champs with assassin/khem (and later /xalek).

I like to rush one character to cap and then play all the 'alts' /really/ slow and digest the content, poke into all the nooks and crannies and side activities. And be as twinked as possible while doing so. It's about the journey to me, when I hit cap/endgame, the character is done and there's nothing left to do.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: January 13, 2014, 03:56:26 PM

Well even doing that, it makes more sense resource/time-wise, I think, to wear orange stuff and invest in keeping your mods up to date, rather than swapping out for purple modless gear all the time. Plus that way you can look flash while you're doing it.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #55 on: January 13, 2014, 04:58:58 PM

Uh, being in purples wasn't exactly the edge your powertech has over your assassin, if you're trying to solo champions without a healer while your powertech had Mako.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: January 13, 2014, 07:45:20 PM

I agree with both your points. I did try to gear up the assassin's healer buddy but I rely on a tank so I can get in the backstabs (and he's pretty squishy).

As far as oranges vs purps, I only had two outfits the entire time I played the assassin, and they were merely ok, I like changing it up even if some aren't as cool as others. Oranges definitely blow an equivalent purple away even with mostly blue mods installed, but it's a pain to manage all of them for you + companion. And I miss crafting, it's something I've always enjoyed. Buying commendation gear is just kind of lackluster for some reason.

One edge the assassin had in orange gear was being able to nab all the heroic 2+ quest oranges along the way. Being able to knock out one mob and then stealth out of combat if things went pear shape (or just to further break up the group) was really nice. Mostly for instances as the 1m cooldown was a bit long for breaking encounters up in the open world.

Thinking of doing trooper next, though I have a newb marauder I started along with a friend's jugg (she's a comic book artist I know from painting forums, but is in Australia so it's sparse).
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: 2.5 Preview  
Jump to: