Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:06:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL 2013 - 2014 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NHL 2013 - 2014  (Read 69738 times)
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

on: September 27, 2013, 04:55:41 PM

Come on, I know I'm not the only person looking forward to a full season of hockey...right? 

While I suppose it's too late to organize a fantasy league, we should at least have our yearly thread.

I know I'm excited - the first thing I'm doing after I touch down in the US after finishing my tour in Benin is going to a Flyers/Pens game.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 03:46:06 AM

This sums up my feelings about last season: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0qLaO7Ib2U

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 08:15:58 AM

Only reason to look forward to winter. Excited about the B's revamped lineup.

Game on.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 12:06:40 PM

I'm looking forward to the season, as always.

Also looking forward to a lot of teams in the East getting a cold dose of reality due to the new divisions, realignment and having to face the West again.

And, you know, the plane the Canucks fly on crashing into a volcano.

I may or may not be kidding on that last one.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 04:50:35 PM

Is there a Volcano on any of their Travel routes?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 04:22:37 AM

Don't ruin my dreams.

On a more serious note; it'll be interesting to see if the hybrid icing goes through. I'm hoping it does as I really don't see any down-side and I got tired of seeing guys get hurt on absolute nothing plays because the forwards were so damn reckless.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 06:17:53 AM

I'll get this over with at the start of the year and agree with Ceryse on something now - the hybrid icing seemed to work just fine in the preseason, so I hope they implement it. Not only do we not need the stupid injuries, I get tired of defensemen heading back and touching a puck casually when they think they are getting an icing call, only to have it called off arbitrarily - leading to a clusterfuck of a play.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
WayAbvPar

Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 08:14:32 AM

Don't worry- the Canucks have done enough to themselves that they won't be good enough to bother rooting against.  Heartbreak

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 10:25:14 AM

Oh, its not that they're "good" so much as a dirty team and I can only hope that chicken comes home to roost soon.  I could rant for days about that team and the culture they've fostered there.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 11:17:30 AM

Montreal West?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 02:37:33 PM

Go Blackhawks!  Heart

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 02:45:09 PM

Is there a Volcano on any of their Travel routes?

There are several volcanoes located in and around the Vancouver region!

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 03:03:36 PM

Hybrid icing gets the go-ahead from the players.

Nice to see.

Now if only they'd fix equipment and seasonal penalties...
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 04:19:40 PM

What is this I am hearing about not allowing jerseys to be tucked?  swamp poop

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 04:49:26 PM

Some GM's pet peeve or the first step to putting sponsorships/advertisements on the bottom of the jerseys, depending on who you talk to. Or the anti-Ovie rule, as some have put it.

Also one of the dumbest rules the league has ever put forward. It makes no sense especially given how the jersey often ends up tucked during regular play.

They never would have dared to do this in Gretzky's era (for those who don't know, Gretzky was the original player to tuck his jersey, at least the first player of import).
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 04:54:27 PM

Where are they nationally broadcasting games in the states this year? What networks get national coverage on what days?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 05:02:21 PM

I have no idea how it works in the U.S. (you guys seem to have it split across a ton of channels, unlike in Canada which are spread across three broadcasters, four if you count RDS -- no one does), but http://www.nhl.com/ice/schedulebyweek.htm seems to list the schedule with who will air the game.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 05:20:28 PM

Where are they nationally broadcasting games in the states this year? What networks get national coverage on what days?

Should be NBC sports no?

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 06:39:30 PM

Ah cool, thanks for the link. I'm actually playing some FanDuel this year, so I'll probably be keeping up with the NHL while pulling my hair out over why my players that day didn't score more points!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 06:14:54 AM

Really looking forward to this year even though I suspect the Leafs were playing way over their heads last year and if it had been an 82 game schedule, would have missed the playoffs. Calgary is in full on rebuild mode and anything other than a top 3 draft pick next year will be a disapointment. I kept my season tickets to watch the new blood play this year though, and it would be nice to optimistic about the future for a change here.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 06:45:32 AM

four if you count RDS -- no one does

RDS is great if you are a Habs fan... No complaints there.

I think Vancouver is gonna do well this season. The team is just OK but Luongo will carry them with a regular season at least.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 11:40:26 AM

RDS is great if you are a Habs fan... No complaints there.

I think Vancouver is gonna do well this season. The team is just OK but Luongo will carry them with a regular season at least.

Out here in Alberta, RDS is basically a joke that's hard to explain. Its not a knock on its quality, more of its irrelevance due to being in French in a bilingual country that stops being bilingual as soon as you get West of Manitoba (literally, here in Edmonton the last time I heard French spoken was in the mandatory French classes in Grade 2 20+ years ago -- and I have several frogs as neighbours).

As for this year.. I think there's going to be more surprises than expected. Mainstream media here will be shocked when Toronto struggles, Columbus surprises, Minnesota continues to struggle and be boring and Anaheim falls off a cliff (Anaheim was in the same boat as Toronto last year, but even worse -- completely untenable percentages). Vancouver will either regain its form or see a massive drop-off (but still make the playoffs to get kicked out quick first round). Oilers will be in the playoffs and then lose half their team to the plague or some-such (Canucks) and finish 10th.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 01, 2013, 12:02:10 PM

I'd rather listen in french than listen to that geriatric Bob Cole who would have been gone from any network by now but a government run one. The guy doesn't even know what's going on anymore it's very painful to hear him.

Not sure how the Oilers get in playoffs. Andrew Ference?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 12:04:34 PM by Speedy Cerviche »
WayAbvPar

Reply #23 on: October 01, 2013, 12:21:30 PM

I am sure they have some inside sources for tickets that aren't available to the public.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 12:27:15 PM

Bob Cole is horrendous (and insane). I'm not saying English broadcasters are good (CBC, Sportsnet are riddled with guys who have no business analyzing or calling a game).

As for the Oilers? Better defense is a big part of it (Whitney, who was our worst defensemen, replaced with Ference. Fistric, who was a decent, but exceedingly limited defensemen is replaced by Belov who can actually play and handle the puck. Nick Schultz no longer getting 1st/2nd pairing minutes and now getting 3rd pairing minutes. Bounce back year from Smid/Petry who are among the most under-rated defensemen when it comes to shutting down top lines). Part of it is also a coach who isn't bat-shit crazy with his defensive zone systems. I liked Krueger and he had  a lot of good things about him, but his defensive zone systems were the worst I've ever seen employed in hockey, let alone at an NHL level.

Throw in graduation of skill from Hall (already one of the best left wings in the game, albeit now at center), Eberle (return to form as he's now healthy and not dealing with a wrist issue from repeated slashes), and Yakupov actually playing most of the year on his proper wing instead of forced onto the left wing. Hemsky should be better this year; he was good last year until he broke his foot blocking a shot and then continuing to play on it because the team was still in the playoff hunt. No more Belanger (he was called the Belanger triangle here, because anyone who played with him had their play disappear into a vacuum of sucktitude), no more Petrell (decent penalty killer who couldn't play at even strength at all), no more Jones (who constantly cheated for offense despite no longer being any good at it post-eye injury) and swapping Paajarvi (great player with potential in the future) for Perron (great second line left wing now).

Oilers still have some massive issues (WTB NHL centers! and a fourth line of sheer.. horror), but Arcobello has shown he can play with skill, and if they can get his line softer minutes he won't be exploited too much (and really, this should be possible considering who else the opposition has to check; Hall, Yakupov, Hemsky). Joenssu actually looks to be able to play the game far better than Hartikainen, and is bigger. Oilers also have one of the more under-rated starters in Dubnyk (11th best save % last year, on a team with poor defense and the worst defensive zone systems).

So, there's actually potential there for the Oilers to make the playoffs after finishing 12th in the conference last year. It will require at least one team that was ahead of them last year to falter (Anaheim and Phoenix will, I'm wagering). Combine that with Columbus and Detroit gone, and being replaced by Winnipeg, which is going to get a rude awakening in the tougher conference.

Still a longshot, of course. But I can hope.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 01, 2013, 01:01:16 PM

I get you gotta be optimistic as a fan and I don't want to dump all over you, because it really is painful being bad for so long, but it really is a longshot. Oilers were on a 77 point pace for an 82 game schedule and you need about 92-96 pts to make playoffs. That would just be a MASSIVE single year improvement and it's not like it's just a single one off bad season that teams like Montreal or Philly go through, it's over 5 years of the basement.

Dubnyk is good I agree although I think you are putting too much weight on the bad, cuz on the other hand his save % got a nice boost from the Oilers strong PK numbers.

I still think the D could use a blue chip young guy, and they have too many small/talented forwards. I wonder who they could get if they traded RNH or Eberle?
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, 01:25:30 PM

Oh, I know its unlikely the Oilers make the playoffs. I think they'd actually make the playoffs this year if realignment hadn't occurred, but with realignment they're now in a division with only one bottom feeding team; Calgary. Throw in teams like the Sharks and Kings are built to dominate a team like the Oilers and it could get ugly.

However, its not out of the realm of possibility. There were a lot of issues last year; RNH was hurt even before he pulled out. The Horcoff injury at the worst possible time. Eberle was hurt the entire season. Hemsky had a broken foot. J. Schultz was playing almost three times the number of games he'd ever played in a single year before. Krueger. Ryan bloody Smyth was playing center. Yakupov forced out of position. Smid nursing an injury since game two. Petry losing his jock-strap against Detroit and unable to find it again afterwards. A number of players (such as Belanger and Whitney) who are not NHL players put into important roles (Belanger played 3C for a long time, Whitney played all too often in the top 4, and so on). Additionally, the number of one goal games lost after holding the lead in the third is actually a 14 point swing all on its own.

The size issue is one that baffles me, honestly. Size is always good, but skill always trumps size. Always.

I'm hoping for the playoffs but expecting the Oilers to finish 9th-10th.

Oh, and RNH will never be traded. The guy has the potential to be a better player than Hall (if you look at his rookie numbers on a per game basis, he was in that group just behind the generational talents) and is a center. Eberle, of all the young core, is the most likely to be traded outside of Gagner (who's numbers last year largely came from cheating for offense). Hall drives the show in Edmonton, against any and all opposition. RNH could be better than him. Yakupov has the potential to be better than RNH if the Oilers and league don't beat the attitude out of him like they did Ovie.

As for young bluechips on D? We have them. A number of them (Marincin, Klefbom, Nurse, Fedun). They just aren't ready yet. Marincin and Fedum are projecting as solid second pairing skill, puck moving D with good defensive games, and Marincin with more than just a little viciousness. Nurse is looking like a top pairing guy once he fills his frame out in a year or two and get some experience in the NHL on easier pairings. Klefbom would be a second pairing guy now if he could stay healthy, but everytime he gets things back on track he gets hurt again (and usually through dumb luck or a dirty play).
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 02, 2013, 09:08:27 AM

Really? I would say the alignment helps Edmonton. 2 better teams left and just one marginally better team joined. Basically opened a another playoff spot for the Oilers to chase.

For each individual, size doesn't matter, but when your team is collectively small it leads to issues in playoff series. Edmonton would really get pushed around in a 7 game series against a team like the LA Kings or the Ducks.

D Prospects don't help you now if you want to make playoffs in next 1-4 years. Which is why I would try to trade a guy like Eberle for an equally good/young Dman who can actually play 25  high quality minutes in the NHL right now.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: October 02, 2013, 12:37:25 PM

Size matters less than the ability to play big. There are a number of examples around the league of players who, while not that large, push back against the bigger teams with no issues at all. That's what you need, not actual size. Oilers have a few of those, but unfortunately, have a lot who simply take it. If you look at actual size.. the Oilers aren't that far behind other teams. They just play small, sadly.

Edit: Just for some clarification; Mirtle just released an article that shows all the teams in size and weight; Oilers are close to average height and weight in the NHL, and only 2 inches and 10.5 pounds separates the largest, heaviest team from the smallest, lightest team. Within the top six you wouldn't see much of a difference in rankings, either. Oilers just play too small rather than being too small.

The d-prospects don't help this year, no. Next year they will, however. We have 2-3 of them that will most likely be ready for second and third pairings next year. Some of them are among the best NHL prospects in the league, let alone defensive prospects. Our D itself isn't that bad this year, actually, either. Last night, for example, most D issues were clearly from lack of familiarity with the new swarm system than lack of skill. Pity Hall and Dubnyk cost us a very winnable game where the Oilers outplayed the Jets.

As for better shot at the playoffs.. not really. We went from one of the weaker divisions to one of the toughest. Colorado is a team we did well against. Minnesota was a team we'd finally broken through against. Vancouver is a team we can split a season series with now. As for Columbus and Detroit.. the Oilers had decent records against them. Jets coming in should be a good thing in the long run. Its having to play San Jose, L.A., Anaheim and Phoenix more than cause us trouble; all of them are teams built to dominate the type of team the Oilers are, which will make it harder to make the playoffs given the number of times we play them and the fact L.A., San Jose and possibly Vancouver will out-right lock up the three guaranteed spots with Anaheim and Phoenix fighting for 4th and 4th to get the wild card slot. Its one of the toughest divisions that way.

Oilers would be far better off in the central division because only Chicago and St. Louis are likely to have the guaranteed slots locked down; and the Oilers actually tend to dominate the Blackhawks and do decently to good against the rest of the teams in that division.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 01:14:30 PM by Ceryse »
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #29 on: October 02, 2013, 01:14:19 PM

It's going to be a tough division to slog through this year. Many of the local "experts" are expecting Vancouver to limp in around the eight seed.

So many factors play in to it. Maybe the NHL will go back to actually calling obstruction penalties? (they were in the Toronto game last night). That would swing things heavily back in the favour of teams like Edmonton and Vancouver. Or they put the rule book away again and just let the LA's and Bostons goon their way to glory.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: October 02, 2013, 01:21:10 PM

That's a good point, Bunk. Just in the game last night there were two head shots to Edmonton that didn't get called (one of which was blatant, and both were on the same sequence of play), amongst other things. A few Oiler penalties were missed, but fewer.

The NHL needs to get some consistency into what penalties are called and stop with the cherry picking penalties based on the score, time of game and when the game is occurring (start of season, mid-season, end of season, playoffs). If its a penalty it should be called all the time. One of the biggest reasons the NHL is a mickey mouse league.

Lack of penalties actually being called is one of the main reasons you see teams beefing up with enforcers and dirty players; because its worth it due to lack of enforcement of the rules. It punishes skill teams for focusing on skill instead of players like Kassian, Weiss, Torres, Scott, Orr, McIntyre and so on.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: October 02, 2013, 01:32:56 PM

Or they put the rule book away again and just let the LA's and Bostons goon their way to glory.

rolleyes  Take some time to actually watch how the Bruins play defense would you.

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: October 02, 2013, 02:37:48 PM

Or they put the rule book away again and just let the LA's and Bostons goon their way to glory.

rolleyes  Take some time to actually watch how the Bruins play defense would you.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: October 02, 2013, 03:28:37 PM

To be fair, the prime example of dirty play getting results over skill in the playoffs was the Boston - Vancouver series and that the refs putting the whistles away helped the Bruins over the Canucks tremendously. Partially true. What gets lost in this, however, is the Canucks averaged 4.8 powerplays in that series, more than enough for their skill to have won them the games -- except their powerplay was horrendous, coming in at something like 6% that series. They were just the worse team ad often let the Bruins get away with things instead of battling back or making them pay on the powerplay.

But the seasonal/situational calling of penalties is, pure and simple, a joke. NHL refs and regulators are the worst of any pro sport, full stop.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: October 02, 2013, 03:53:47 PM

I just refs would be consistent. Even last night in the Montreal-Toronto game they called a lot of ticky tacky stuff in the first half of the game then put the whistles away in the 3rd.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL 2013 - 2014  
Jump to: