Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:27:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Well, my dad works at Nintendo and~: Console Wars Horseshit Megathread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Well, my dad works at Nintendo and~: Console Wars Horseshit Megathread  (Read 210930 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #805 on: June 09, 2014, 10:36:46 AM

TOKYO -- Sony Computer Entertainment led sales of video game systems for the first time in eight years in fiscal 2013, beating flagging compatriot Nintendo thanks to the successful launch of the PlayStation 4.

SCE sold a total of 18.7 million systems last fiscal year. It released the PS4 in the U.S. and other markets in November, and had moved nearly 7 million units through the end of March. Overall unit sales, including the PlayStation Vita portable game system, declined 20% on the year, but the PS4's launch helped to prop them up.

Nintendo's console sales slid 31% to 16.31 million units, as sales of the portable Nintendo 3DS system slumped and the new Wii U fared poorly. Microsoft's sales rose 16% to 11.6 million consoles thanks to the November rollout of the Xbox One in the U.S. and other markets.

The last time SCE topped the console sales list was in fiscal 2005. Sales of the PS4's predecessor, the PlayStation 3, came in below expectations, and the company faced an uphill battle against Nintendo's Wii and DS. The PS4's popularity finally brought Sony back to the fore.

But the video game console market continues to lose ground to smartphone games. It has become essential for companies to offer new services such as cloud-based games to attract players.

SCE will likely stay at No. 1 this fiscal year. Sales of the PS4 will take off in earnest, while Nintendo has few noteworthy releases planned.

http://asia.nikkei.com/print/article/34733

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #806 on: June 11, 2014, 07:36:21 PM

but guys they showed a new zelda and link could be a girl or something I guess???

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #807 on: June 11, 2014, 08:11:27 PM

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #808 on: June 16, 2014, 11:08:42 AM

It was probably in this very thread that I lamented the state of Mario 3D for Wii U.  However, I just recently got MK8 (family tradition), and can confirm that this is another solid entry in that series.  Would probably be considered the best one overall, had we not started to burn out a bit on the series.  It does a lot of things better than its predecessors.

Sure glad I didn't listen to you!

I think I understand why my experience is different than yours.

My play sessions involve throwing my kids off cliffs and watching my wife trying to jump after to save them. YMMV.

A+ game.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #809 on: June 17, 2014, 04:36:45 PM

It was going to be a brutal May sales period for xbox with their decision to release a cheaper version of the console in June without the kinect but apparently it was so bad that even the Nintendo DS outsold the xbox one.
schild
Administrator

Reply #810 on: June 17, 2014, 05:07:13 PM

lol
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #811 on: June 23, 2014, 10:31:05 AM

The DS is backward-compatible to some degree.  We can thank Pokemon for that, but still.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #812 on: June 23, 2014, 12:08:48 PM

It was going to be a brutal May sales period for xbox with their decision to release a cheaper version of the console in June without the kinect but apparently it was so bad that even the Nintendo DS outsold the xbox one.
The 3DS or the original DS?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #813 on: June 24, 2014, 02:06:42 AM

3DS.
schild
Administrator

Reply #814 on: July 17, 2014, 12:32:44 PM

That's that then: http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/17/microsoft-closing-xbox-entertainment-studios/

Edit: I guess I should add, how soon until 1st party games are done?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #815 on: July 17, 2014, 12:36:03 PM

XBox - WE DO GAMES. No, really, we're about games. Why are you laughing? Don't look at that Halo: TV show. No, really why are you laughing at me? STOP LAUGHING AT ME!!!!!

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #816 on: July 17, 2014, 01:06:24 PM

That's that then: http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/17/microsoft-closing-xbox-entertainment-studios/

Wasn't this just some shit they put together to make TV shows about games? This isn't actually a game dev house, so who gives a fuck?

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #817 on: July 17, 2014, 01:09:33 PM

What's the comparative sales chart look like with the prior consoles in a similar time frame?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
schild
Administrator

Reply #818 on: July 17, 2014, 01:11:58 PM

Wasn't this just some shit they put together to make TV shows about games? This isn't actually a game dev house, so who gives a fuck?
First they came for the TV shows.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #819 on: July 17, 2014, 01:46:44 PM

What the hell does xbox have to offer to that mobile-centric world he touts anyway?

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #820 on: July 17, 2014, 07:05:51 PM

First they came for the TV shows.
I'm not sure I see the link between "Company closes obvious bad idea" and "Company stops making games".

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #821 on: July 17, 2014, 07:43:27 PM

More like company stops making games to open a TV studio then realizes what a stupid fucking idea that really was.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #822 on: July 17, 2014, 10:35:09 PM

Microsoft is one of those companies we're not capable of looking at rationally here.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #823 on: July 18, 2014, 06:33:56 AM

This sorta reminds me of the CEO of Red Five studios who basically got bored with the bad MMO they were making so he used all their VC and income to try and make viral youtube videos and a big customized bus that didn't work and looked like it was made of marzipan.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #824 on: July 18, 2014, 06:41:03 AM

That memo he put out is a pretty great example of corporate speak drivel.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #825 on: July 18, 2014, 11:26:45 PM

Microsoft is one of those companies we're not capable of looking at rationally here.

Microsoft has a safe income from their desktop monopoly so they don't have to pretend to be competitive or have a clue.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #826 on: July 19, 2014, 08:53:51 PM

I've been reading "World War 3.0" a book about the Microsoft trial, and it opened my eyes a little to the whole culture in redmond from Bill "Temper tantrum" Gates on down. Basically, Bill Gates was convinced that he was the good guy. And everything they did, no matter how it crushed everyone else or stifled any innovation, was good. Any suggestion that Gates or Microsoft was not would be met with howls of rage and sullen silence. Everything everyone else did was bad and that was why they had not eclipsed microsoft already. So it kinda makes sense to me now that they honestly thought that the whole "Kinetic can track you, we will include adverts in our desktop that you cant avoid, etc" would be honestly seen as good things by the Microsoft executives, as they are basically trained and near brainwashed into thinking that no matter what they do, Microsoft is doing the good thing for everybody.

And that disconnect is why they keep crashing and burning when they have to deal with the real world.

Hic sunt dracones.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #827 on: July 20, 2014, 08:47:22 AM

So Bill thought Microsoft was USA?
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #828 on: July 22, 2014, 05:20:19 PM

I know you are boeng faecitios but essentially yes. Microsoft always couched everything it did as "helping customers." One of Gates furious diatribes against one of the Goverment laywers was T hat he was out to destroy Microsoft "and take away all the good that we have done" They benefit customers because they invested millions in research, and everything they did about destroying competitors was justified because it benefited reserch. The author of the book was struck by the fact that the people he spoke to from microsoft never once mentioned the fact that it was a for profit company whos aim was to make lots and lots of money.

And it strikes me how similar the arguments over kinect were over internet explorer. Microsoft insisted that IE was wired into the OS and no other system would work better than it, and that it was such an integral part of the OS that it was impossible to take out without breaking windows. They said the same for Kinect. They ALSO said that it was to benefit costumers, to give them an all in one and unified product. And like IE actual customers found that Windows worked better when they stopped using it, though it took longer for IE.

This was in 2000, but its stunning how the same excuses and mistakes still pop up.

Hic sunt dracones.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #829 on: July 23, 2014, 02:35:07 AM

That fits with the incredible amount of philantropic work Bill Gates is apparently doing now, giving away big sums of money. I am not gonna complain about his money going to help good causes, but he probably really always had a twisted perception of reality that was much less helpful when he was still knee deep into business and manipulating society.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #830 on: July 23, 2014, 06:08:55 AM

Well, his Foundation is rather notably stubborn and insists on recipients bowing down to their ideologies of the moment on education and public health, rather than donating to a range of smart well-trained professionals in good institutions and letting them figure out what's needed.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #831 on: July 23, 2014, 07:38:02 AM

In a world where we don't have to deal with 3-4 OSes between corporate environments, I find it hard to argue MS didn't do a lot of good.  I'm also amused that they were slapped for integrating things while Apple is unifying devices with their new OSes in ways MS only wishes they could have done to parts of the OS. 

I guess the lesson is, control the hardware AND the software.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #832 on: July 23, 2014, 10:08:35 AM

I tend to agree.  I think we are generally better off in a world more or less dominated by a single OS on PCs.  Makes my life easier at work AND at home.  And they sure as shit aren't controlling the content the way Apple does.  Just earlier today I was lamenting how my new HTC phone might as well be a toaster as far as compatibility with any of the 20 other Apple products we have in our household.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #833 on: July 24, 2014, 02:15:32 PM

A monopoly is good for integration and bad for innovation. Microsoft's stranglehold on the PC has helped make it such a sick platform, and allowed them to (try) and use it as a lever into other markets (such as windows 8 and tablets... which they still managed to fail at).

I could see the argument for the OS being a shared resource for consistency reasons, but that shouldn't be owned by one company who can change the "standard" on a whim.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #834 on: July 24, 2014, 02:19:11 PM

As someone old enough to remember pre-Microsoft dominated desktop world (and oddly, with proliferation of Mac OS X, iOS, Android, etc., not so dominant as was 1995-2005), on the whole, I don't think computer users have been served well, other than cheaper hardware.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #835 on: July 24, 2014, 06:38:13 PM

Hooray for DR-DOS!

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #836 on: July 26, 2014, 10:17:19 PM

Yeah, pretty much every recent move I've seen MS do with the Xbone is tactically popular with gamers and strategically absolutely terrible. Unless something changes dramatically, MS has lost this console generation and probably won't be interested in spending the money required to try again.

Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #837 on: July 27, 2014, 03:28:21 AM

Yeah, pretty much every recent move I've seen MS do with the Xbone is tactically popular with gamers and strategically absolutely terrible. Unless something changes dramatically, MS has lost this console generation and probably won't be interested in spending the money required to try again.

Their new CEO seems extremely focused on other facets of the company and it wouldn't surprise me in the least that if, like you said, this generation is a failure, they won't bother again.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #838 on: July 27, 2014, 10:17:32 AM

That will drive my coworker batty. He's been an xbox fanboy since the first, to the point calling people who didn't want the spy camera stupid Luddites.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #839 on: July 27, 2014, 06:50:44 PM

I wouldn't say it's strategically absolutely terrible.  Their goal of taking over the living room for entertainment made sense way back, and made sense when they realized how big Netflix and other VOD services would be on them.  The problem is they took to long to execute and didn't notice the market trends for $50 roku boxes, smart TVs, etc.. all providing the same entertainment capabilities, which means no one is going to buy a $500 console for anything other than games (non-game functionality needs to be a bonus instead of core).  They just took too long to realize this and are only now pivoting, but it's probably too late at this point. 

I also don't think the Kinect bundling was a bad idea, but like everything MS does their execution was terrible.  They didn't give users any compelling reason why the kinect was a good thing.  The only useful thing they gave was voice control, which is dumb because most people I've talked to hate talking to their phones (for voice commands and dicatation) so I'm not sure where they found people that gave them positive feedback saying "this is the future!!!!!".  I like the kinect (and a decent amount of other people do too considering the sales for the 360 as an add-on accessory), and there are actually a lot of ways that it can be used for fun games but we'll never get any money spent towards anything but Dance Central since now the Kinect isn't bundled anymore. 

It all comes down to Microsoft is a shit marketer, can't get a straight message done, and can't completely execute on a coherent strategy that makes it all bust.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 34 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Well, my dad works at Nintendo and~: Console Wars Horseshit Megathread  
Jump to: