Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:35:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Nuclear laun..., I mean, In-store item detected... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nuclear laun..., I mean, In-store item detected...  (Read 44474 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

on: July 04, 2013, 03:13:22 AM

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/263752-54-in-game-store-100-xp-buff/

We are currently exploring the possibility of adding a way for players in certain regions to make purchases directly within the game. As part of this process, elements related to this will be appearing on the PTR. We’ll provide additional updates on our plans as development progresses.

Thus begins the fall of the subscription MMO?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 06:10:48 AM

I imagine certain regions means China where they don't pay $15 a month anyways.  But yes.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 07:03:38 AM

It was a matter of time.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 07:49:47 AM

I'm not sure what this means.  Do you mean that if this works (outside of China) they'll soon do away with subs?  Or do you mean something else?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 07:54:35 AM

I'm hoping it means they do away with subs, yes.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 08:39:34 AM

I agree.  That would be great.  I'm happy about subs being dropped from so many games.  The only thing I dislike is when they limit your ability to play if you don't pay.  Like the ones where you have to buy necessary areas or other stuff that seem vital for a decent game experience.  I don't even mind so much when they sell items that give you an advantage over others (unless it's PvP) since I usually just play alone.  It's a step.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 12:56:45 PM

I removal of a sub usually drives the theory that they can create content designed to make you want to buy it, rather than gating your entire experience through grinds to draw out your sub.

That's the way it's supposed to work. Many games have screwed that up by adding in grinds on top of the cash shop in the hopes you will buy things to decrease your grind. Tiers getting unlocked with payments would be a much better way to handle this, considering the raiding people would be all over it, and those that weren't could spend money on unlocking other things, like transmog slots, pets, etc.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 01:54:30 AM

I actually sat down and worked out how much I spent in GW2 on vanity stuff as well as goodies. Blizzard should be taking notice as I've easily out-spent what I used to pay as a WoW sub - and didn't begrudge a cent of it.

Get rid of the sub and I'd get back into WoW... and EvE.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 05:27:54 AM

This is one case where I think the in-game store isn't a sign of impending F2P. They're probably just hoping to sell more premium crap here than they do on the website, plus it lays the groundwork if they do go F2P in a year or two.

Edit: I guess it could mean F2P for other regions. Even that would surprise me as they'd be supporting two very different versions of the game at that point, but they've made some pretty weird changes for Asian markets already.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 06:58:13 AM by Rokal »
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 05:36:39 AM

Don't they have hourly payment options in Asian countries? That's not too far removed from F2P really.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 07:49:29 AM

Yes I believe this is part of something for Asia. Not for the USA.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 11:26:41 AM

For now.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 03:22:22 PM

How many million subs do they still have paying $15/mo in the west?

F2P fucked over so many elements of LotRO. I'd rather sporadically play wow on and off than see it go the same way.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 05:02:54 PM

For now.
Meh, fuckit. Everybody else has a cash shop nowadays - it's part of the industry, not some Terrible New Thing Set To Destroy Life As We Know It.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 07:52:15 PM

F2P fucked over so many elements of LotRO. I'd rather sporadically play wow on and off than see it go the same way.

It depends entirely on how it's implemented.  F2P is done completely right and is *awesome* in The Secret World.  F2P is decidedly not awesome in The Old Republic, so I just pretend it doesn't exist and stay subbed when I want to play.  The cash shop in SWTOR is just cosmetic stuff really when you're subbed, but when you're not is just onerous with all the stuff that's locked and all the unlocks you have to buy anyway.

Over and out.
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 07:11:31 PM

I have no problem selling cosmetic items, but $15 for a helm?

Blizzard Store

Link to story:

wow.joystiq.com
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 05:48:38 AM

Brought to you by the guys that gave you the RMAH in D3?

It's like Blizzard looked at what PoE and GW2 were doing with their shops and then decided to make you pay more.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 08:17:42 AM

It's a hat. If that's their plan to sell cosmetic stuff at inflated prices for idiots? More power to them. I couldn't give a shit less.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 10:18:13 AM

People pay $25 for sparkle ponies, $15 for pets, of course they'd pay $15 for a hat. 

It's not until they start selling full cosmetic sets where each item is $10-$15 that people will say, "wait a tick"

Got to make up the revenue somewhere, and someone's willing to be fleeced for it at all times.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 02:17:51 PM

As long as it's all cosmetic, I give no shits.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 02:30:08 PM

People pay $25 for sparkle ponies, $15 for pets, of course they'd pay $15 for a hat. 

It's not until they start selling full cosmetic sets where each item is $10-$15 that people will say, "wait a tick"

Got to make up the revenue somewhere, and someone's willing to be fleeced for it at all times.

The Armored Bloodwing is the sparkle pony done right, imo.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 02:45:38 PM

Why, because you prefer that model over another?  So it's only ok if it meets your tastes?

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 08:29:01 PM

I don't know what you mean by "it's only ok if it meets [my] tastes".
On its surface, that statement should always be one's default position, when deciding whether to buy something. Especially something they don't need. Did you mean something else?

When I said that the bloodwing is the sparkle pony done right, here's what I meant.
(This is what I love about nerds, you always have to write a dissertation to get a simple point across).
- I turned up my nose at the sparkle pony. I cared neither for its looks nor its animation.
- I clearly didn't share this opinion with everyone; Blizzard sold a ton of those things.
- A few years later, Blizzard came back with the bloodwing mount. This one is cool looking, and doesn't look retarded when it animates.
- I bought one almost as soon as they made it available in the store. Blizzard has my money, and I have an in-game flying bat mount.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 08:45:43 PM

It was a dumb question, you didn't have to bother.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 05:08:44 AM

It was a dumb statement.

"Done right" says something was wrong before. Since they're mechanically the same and cost the same, the only vector for it to have been wrong is the appearance.

Since nobody here is the arbiter of taste, saying it was 'wrong' before is a dumb comment.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 07:01:18 AM

It was a dumb question because it wasn't a question. You already knew the answer, and just wanted to hammer a point.

Even so, the point is about the pedantic use of the word "right." If he'd used "well" instead the meaning would have been the same.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, 07:58:34 AM

It was a dumb statement.

"Done right" says something was wrong before. Since they're mechanically the same and cost the same, the only vector for it to have been wrong is the appearance.

Since nobody here is the arbiter of taste, saying it was 'wrong' before is a dumb comment.

Ohhhh. You bought a sparkle pony, didn't you.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 08:27:55 AM

Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #28 on: July 19, 2013, 08:36:21 AM

No, but if I had so what?  Going to call me a fag now?

Your statement was an appraisal of aesthetics making the choice valid or not on the whole rather than for an individual - you.  It's a bogus statement.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #29 on: July 19, 2013, 08:41:56 AM

rolleyes

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 19, 2013, 09:25:33 AM

Your statement was an appraisal of aesthetics making the choice valid or not on the whole rather than for an individual - you.  It's a bogus statement.

Actually, my personal insult of choice on these forums is "douchebag". But I'm sure we can work something else out, if you'd prefer to keep taking this personally.

My statement was completely valid expression of opinion. The sparkle pony is ugly, and it flies like a retarded, broken-backed duck. IMO.

Notice how I put the "imo" in caps there? Maybe you won't miss it this time. Douchebag.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #31 on: July 19, 2013, 11:12:18 AM

He did say "IMO" in his original statement, so I really don't understand what your issue is here. It isn't like he was one of the people wailing about the store existing.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #32 on: July 19, 2013, 12:55:09 PM

Boredom, mostly. Was an entertaining diversion in an otherwise dead forum that should hit the graveyard.

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: July 24, 2013, 10:53:52 AM

Why, because you prefer that type of forum bickering over another?  So it's only ok if it meets your bickering tastes?

(said in a delighted giggly tone, "the same, but I bolded 'you'"!)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #34 on: July 24, 2013, 12:43:13 PM

Yes.

Because I'm an asshole and don't care what you want, but at least I'm an honest asshole.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Nuclear laun..., I mean, In-store item detected...  
Jump to: