Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:13:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: DoTP 2014 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DoTP 2014  (Read 10777 times)
Xilren's Twin

on: June 25, 2013, 06:13:56 AM

So the new version of Duels is released tomorrow 6/26/13 and the biggest new feature addition is sealed deck and the new android version.  Based on reporting, here's a tidbit i missed about sealed the first time around.

While DOTP will give players their first two sealed pools for free, though those who find themselves addicted to the thrill of opening virtual packs can open additional sealed pools for $1.99 apiece, up to 20 pools in total. When asked at E3 why the limit on sealed pool slots, brand manager Adam Dickson made the astute observation that anyone who’s dropped $40 on digital cards is probably ready to make the move to the actual game. He’s probably right, though as a longtime player of the game I advise you to make the most of DOTP’s value pricing before you start turning your paychecks into boxes of actual boosters.

You can played sealed deck online multiplayer too, which is nice.    Plus, i'd rather drop $2 on a new sealed pool if im bored and Hex isnt out yet, than $14 on a draft :)
In terms of the promos tied to the game purchase, we also have this news

Additionally, Wizards continues to make DOTP a must-buy for Magic fans by offering a selection of exclusive promo cards to purchasers of the game. Each copy comes with a promo code which can be redeemed for a special booster pack of actual cards from the upcoming Magic 2014 set, which includes one of three foil promotional cards depending on your platform: Bonescythe Sliver (Xbox 360), Ogre Battledriver (PS3), or Scavenging Ooze (Steam, iOS, or Android). Considering that Ooze was selling for $60 before its upcoming reprint was announced, the non-console version of the game is definitely a recommended buy.

Overall, decent value for $10.

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 08:54:55 AM

wait what
$2 per sealed pools

hahaha no don't do that
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 02:22:46 PM

It's up on the ios store. Very nice so far.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 05:02:34 PM

Btw, if anyone bought it for a mobile system and doesn't want their promo card, feel free to send me the code and such via PM.

Thanks to those that already have.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 10:19:01 PM

How would I send the promo card to someone?  It looks like its tied to your Steam account.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 06:17:29 AM

How would I send the promo card to someone?  It looks like its tied to your Steam account.
You plug your code in wotcs website and take a screen shot of the page you're supposed to print. Email that to whomever they print and take in to their lgs.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 02:27:41 PM

I probably should have put this here instead of the mobile thread.

So I picked this up to get some freebie practice in before Hex releases.  Yeah, there's some bugs in it that make me hope the same card shuffler isn't used in MTG:o.   

Like what, you say?

Well, playing the silver deck against the Gruul Raiding party I got him to 2 life then decided to see how big I could pump the silvers up.  He proceeded to draw nothing but land for the next 30 turns and never played another card. 

My proof: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=157654175

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 02:28:57 PM

The encounter decks are not 'decks'. They play stuff in a fixed order and probably don't go past turn 10 or w/e.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 05:05:35 PM

No, I get that but it was bugged. I played the encounter 4 times before with different decks, failing each time before I pulled out the Silver deck.  I got him to 2 life by turn 6, where he usually drops the Phoenix, but I'd killed the annoying tap-goblin with a shock.  The phoenix never came out and every turn after that one he pulled only a land when previous attempts had shown he should have had at least 2 other creatures in his hand.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 01:55:57 AM

You probably used Path to Exile in the sliver game which basically breaks most of the encounter decks by causing them to shuffle.

Xilren's Twin

Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 06:42:37 AM

I've got to say that overall, i think they did a better job with the 2013 game than this one.  The challenges, campaign, included decks, just seem not as good.  The only thing i consider truly better is now you can adjust your lands directly when editting/making decks.  The sealed was nice to include, but just strikes me as something they were afraid to make actually interesting.  Most fun of course is still playing other people (and to no ones surprise the ramp into Eldrazi deck seems to be the most popular choice by far), but it still appears they are operating under the mindset "don't make anything deep enough that people would ever want to play it instead of paper/modo."  For pities sake how hard would it be to put 1 actual Planeswalker in the "Duels of the Planeswalkers" game??  Or a non basic land other than Evolving Wilds?

That mindset is why I'm firmly convinced Hex will do well.  Wotc just wont go there.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 11:18:53 AM

The deck editor is also improved in that you can remove cards and go under 60, then add cards to go back up to 60. I find this a lot easier to deal with than the old way where you had to add the cards you wanted before you could remove the ones you wanted to get rid of.

The challenges were a joke this time around, no thought involved in any but the last one. On the other hand, I thought the campaign games were generally more interesting.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: DoTP 2014  
Jump to: