Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:08:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade announced at E3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade announced at E3  (Read 60307 times)
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: June 24, 2013, 07:18:57 PM

I'd also like to gripe about choosing the Iron Warriors and the Dark Angels.  On the Chaos side, I'm not sure they could have picked a blander and less fleshed-out Traitor Legion- at last 6 or 7 of the 9 would be more interesting (my pick would be Word Bearers, but the Emperor's Children, World Eaters, and Death Guard would also be fairly visually distinctive and lend themselves to interesting abilities).  The Iron Warriors are siege experts that shoot artillery at stuff from far away- meh. 

I'm less versed in Imperium lore, but the Dark Angels also underwhelm.  Why not lead with Ultramarines, or Grey Knights, or something at that level that jumps to mind immediately when you think Space Marines?     

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: June 25, 2013, 04:47:42 AM

If they made a good, digital adaptation of the minis game, why would anyone play the physical version? Also, how could they justify charging you $40 for 10 digital figures to use in your digital army?

If they make digital versions of books, why would anyone buy the paper form?   why so serious?

Some people prefer the tangible, hands-on version.  It's always better to have more choices.

I'll start buying the digital Codex' once the are significantly cheaper than the [now hard backed] physical copies.

Until then I'd rather feel I got something for my £30! (full disclosure - I play so infrequently now I buy them used on eBay)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #37 on: June 25, 2013, 05:19:22 AM

I love physical stuff, but I'd play the hell out of a digital Warhammer boardgame. It's nowhere near the whole "in person" experience, but it allows you to play a) whenever you want b) without arguing about rules c) slightly faster than the pretty long real thing. these three factors are what basically resurrected Blood Bowl as a hobby. Warhammer does not need to be resurrected, but I feel lots of people who just don't have the time to commit to the real tabletop game would jump into the digital one in no time. Hell, the online client almost got me into Magic: the Gathering (then I realized I don't need such an expensive addiction).

I wish they did something like that for BattleTech too. Unfortunately the dream has been crushed when whoever is making the "Tactical" videogame thought they could make more money by butchering the original tabletop game.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #38 on: June 25, 2013, 07:23:04 AM

I'm less versed in Imperium lore, but the Dark Angels also underwhelm.  Why not lead with Ultramarines, or Grey Knights, or something at that level that jumps to mind immediately when you think Space Marines?     
I agree overall, though while I love Grey Knights, it wouldn't work lore wise.  They are the smallest but most elite marine chapter, whos existance is kept a strict secret.

They should have picked the Angry Marines.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 25, 2013, 07:50:12 AM

Dark Angels are one of the most popular chapters.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: June 25, 2013, 08:32:12 AM

If they make digital versions of books, why would anyone buy the paper form?   why so serious?

Those digital codexes are really nice. Everything is hotlinked with rules pop ups, etc. and they are automagically updated with FAQs so you never get some couchbag saying, "Well it's in the FAQ." The only real problems are that they are ipad only and that they are gigantic at over a gig a piece.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #41 on: June 25, 2013, 09:20:43 AM

Since two people have failed the connection now: Nebu wasn't talking about WH books, but books in general.  The excuse being used is nonsense, because your market will expand and those who want to buy physical will still do so.  Will your physical sales drop? Yes, but the uptick on the digital end should more than make up for it.

Consumers in general are OK with not owning things now.  They're stupid for it, but as a retailer not taking advantage of their stupidity is a business failure on your part.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #42 on: June 25, 2013, 09:55:37 AM

This project reeks of failure. Just that initial set of bullet points is laughable. New campaign every three months? Good luck with that.

Depends what kind of work is involved in a "campaign."  I get the impression that it's just different maps, and you can assemble those from prefab pieces pretty quickly.
Also I got the idea that they were going to generate the content procedurally so there would be less design time.

Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: June 26, 2013, 05:57:28 AM

The only real problems are that they are ipad only and that they are gigantic at over a gig a piece.

I got an email from GW last week saying they were [coming] out on Kindle and Android (presumably the Google Books thing) athough I havent checked though.

Be interesting to see if Amazon make them cheaper...................................(fat chance!)
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: June 26, 2013, 08:43:29 AM

I got an email from GW last week saying they were [coming] out on Kindle and Android (presumably the Google Books thing) athough I havent checked though.

Be interesting to see if Amazon make them cheaper...................................(fat chance!)

As I was looking for that earlier post about them, I noticed that they are now available in .mobi and .epub format from the Black Library. Surprisingly, they are $17 cheaper than the physical or the iBooks. There is a note that the interactive elements are only available on the iBooks version. That's undoubtedly all the extra photos, but most likely the really handy rule popups that make the ibook version so handy.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: July 28, 2013, 09:30:32 AM

Some new tidbits of information on the official site (www.eternalcrusade.com).  Space Marines will have at least four chapters from the First Founding (Ultramarines, Dark Angels, Blood Angels, and Space Wolves).  In addition to classes common to all chapters (Devastators, Tac Marines, etc.) each chapter will have at least some unique bonuses/attributes.  Good news- probably means we'll see some interesting CSM legions as well (I'm hoping some or all of Word Bearers, Death Guard, World Eaters, and Emperor's Children make it in). 

But the FAQ has some weird stuff:

What kind of game is this?

Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade is a 3rd-person, PvP-focused, Action MMORPG. Players select one of the factions of the 41st millennium and fight for control of a persistent world, claiming territory in massive battles and hacking their way through procedural content while earning the right to customize their characters in a deep progression system drawn from Warhammer 40,000 lore.

What is the combat like?

Eternal Crusade's combat is fully action-based, meaning that you hit exactly where you shoot or swing and it's up to your skill whether you pull off a headshot or block that incoming chainsword. In addition, gamepads will be fully supported.

Both ranged and melee weapons have equal emphasis – as in the iconic battles of Warhammer 40,000, combat begins at a distance with guns and heavy vehicle-mounted weaponry before progressing to bloody blade-on-blade action with brutal executions. 

So...we're getting a 3rd person twitch MMOFPS, or maybe something DCUO style?  These factoids don't seem consistent with each other.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #46 on: July 29, 2013, 04:08:24 AM

3rd person pop action makes me think DOA or LOL,so yeah those two points aren't exclusive. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: July 29, 2013, 05:14:51 AM

A warhammer 40k MOBA would be fun as fuck

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: July 29, 2013, 08:41:44 AM

This sounds pretty cool if it really will be 100% twitch with melee and range. I wonder if it will have Mount & Blade style melee? It's still the gold standard out there in both simplicity and skill depth.

I don't see how they can possibly work in the power differentials between these classes though, between champions and grunts. Action games like world of tanks and war thunder that try have to do a careful balancing act and mostly keep them separated.

I would think you would have to do something like allow weaker players to control multiple units. So a player who is playing ork grunts can bring a squad of 5-10 of them. They fight alongside his avatar with AI, and if his avatar dies he jumps into control of next one. Buying new classes from them is not necessarily an I win button, just gives the player different, cooler classes, but still has basically the same raw power as a guy just running around with a tonne of ork grunts. So let's say you give the best unit (dreadnought, demon champion, etc.) a value of 500 points, everyone else would get that too, but the guy playing basic account would only be able to spend it on orks that cost 25 points each (but he gets 20).

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: June 27, 2014, 07:05:27 PM

Founder's Program announced.  Pay up to $450 a year and a half before release (plus $35 each for limited edition pre-Heresy blasters)!
https://www.eternalcrusade.com/founder-store

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: June 27, 2014, 07:37:38 PM

I know its pre-alpha and all, but God damn this looks like dog shit.  Every in game video they have looks terrible.
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: August 10, 2014, 02:13:15 PM

I've seen some epic battles in Planetside 2, a screen full of land vehicles, air and troops, and with my new gfx card, a full on firework display of particle effects between the two sides. Looks incredible, and one of the few games ive got that immerses me in some really large scale battles.

So why can't they just do Horus Heresy with this technology I don't know.

also, any MMOG with ongoing episodic content has never worked out that way, numbers drop a bit and boom... static world time.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: June 16, 2015, 07:41:18 PM

ARISE!

I never contributed to this, but I do get the emails.  Apparently the tech for an open world FPS is impossible, so now the game is down to 1 continent with 120 "match-based" sub areas that over 10 people can fight in!  Oh yeah, release delayed indefinitely as well.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: June 16, 2015, 08:22:03 PM

Yeah, Planetside 2 - a game I have been playing a lot lately - is really the model here. Now, PS2 did have some growing pains as they optimized those large battles, but nowadays I can play with everything maxed out and still get a reasonable framerate in large battles and anything aside from the those huge battles is smooth as butter.  No excuses.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: January 27, 2016, 10:22:18 PM

This just went to Steam early access.  I am a Founder because the smell of burning money doesn't give me that high anymore and I needed to try something else.  Again, this is now a lobby shooter because the tech to make Planetside doesn't exist yet.  Also, no orks or eldar (yet, they are coming in next few months).  I am having mild fun in alpha as a jet pack guy, though.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 10:23:51 PM by Triforcer »

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #55 on: January 27, 2016, 11:16:09 PM

This looks terrible.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #56 on: January 28, 2016, 12:37:56 AM

I think it also wins the price of "Game with the largest cuts from the original advertised design ever".

penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: January 28, 2016, 12:31:09 PM

I saw this in Steams GW sale and ignored the -20% offer on today. The video reminded me of Space Marine MP, which was just laggy and inaccurate and their bullshit about Planetside tech not being invented yet doesnt win any favours. I usually buy GW stuff on sight too.

However, I did just pre-order Battlefleet Gothic Armada. Hope it doesnt suck too much. I bought it blind as I like BfG but read the dev/engine has only produced an average game before but i havent found a decent BfG mod on any of the space RTS games I own.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: January 28, 2016, 02:17:42 PM

How does this game stack up to Space Marine multiplayer?  Without large battles, without other factions, it sounds basically the same, except with Space Marine you also got a single player campaign (and horde mode etc.)
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: January 28, 2016, 04:32:38 PM

How does this game stack up to Space Marine multiplayer?  Without large battles, without other factions, it sounds basically the same, except with Space Marine you also got a single player campaign (and horde mode etc.)

It is the same.  It's a Space Marine 16v16 lobby shooter with 3 maps and 2 game modes.  That's it.  It's pure pvp with a bit of tyranid npc invasion type stuff.  L4D meets Battlefield I guess.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: June 12, 2016, 07:13:49 AM

So, they released the Eldar this weekend.  They look good.  I've only monkeyed around with them for a few minutes in the garrison, but they seemed slower than I would have expected. 

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #61 on: June 12, 2016, 06:26:57 PM

So, they released the Eldar this weekend.  They look good.  I've only monkeyed mon-keighed around with them for a few minutes in the garrison, but they seemed slower than I would have expected.  

Fixed it for you. Wah wahhhhhhh....

I kid only because I bought a founder's pack when they first announced it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 06:37:17 PM by angry.bob »

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: June 12, 2016, 06:47:15 PM

So, they released the Eldar this weekend.  They look good.  I've only monkeyed mon-keighed around with them for a few minutes in the garrison, but they seemed slower than I would have expected.  

Fixed it for you. Wah wahhhhhhh....

I kid only because I bought a founder's pack when they first announced it.

How is it?  I heard the shooting and melee combat, you know the important stuff, isn't very good.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: September 23, 2016, 07:21:12 PM

So, this went live today.  Played a little bit, and I really suck at shooters.  Eldar seem a bit overpowered.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #64 on: September 23, 2016, 11:27:11 PM

Is PvE any good? Didn't realize they added that. WH40K: Space Marine multiplayer PvE (aka horde mode) was quite fun.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: September 24, 2016, 06:37:12 AM

Steam reviews aren't being kind to it. I also thought it was going to be F2P with one race free and the others paid unlocks. Or is that some other 40k game?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: September 24, 2016, 08:36:06 AM

IIRC, it was originally going to be F2P as an Ork grunt, but they dropped that some while back.

PvE has been tough in pugs, since there's no coordination, and everyone tries to rush through it like it's WoW.  If people would just slow down, and clear the area of Tyranids, it'd be a lot easier.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: September 24, 2016, 03:11:22 PM

That sounds like what I remember; shame they didn't go that route. If I could check it out for free I might give it a shot but not for $50.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Bhazrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: September 24, 2016, 05:00:58 PM

I like it, it being 40k is the main reason. I haven't tried the tyranid PvE portion of it yet, but stomping about as an ork with other orks, stabbing marines with my giant orky arm syringe or zapp-sniping Eldar and vehicles with my shoulder-mounted zap kannon is enough for me. I just want one of these damn Warhammer games to do well for once is all. The novelty will wear off I know, but I don't play these type of shooters all that much anyhow, so I guess this is my CoD or Battlefield, etc.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: September 25, 2016, 02:10:23 PM

Was PS2 with Warhammer skins really that hard to do?

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade announced at E3  
Jump to: