Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:57:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  (Read 382140 times)
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #945 on: January 07, 2019, 07:24:09 AM

I'd like to try this again when I'm bored, but not at $60. And when I say again, I mean more than the first 5 levels when it first came out (for the second time). Does the Complete Edition ever go on sale here in the states?

You could always just do the free trial.  It lets you level up to 35, afaik it's not time limited (like you can only play for a certain length of time), and you can get a feel for the different classes/jobs.  You can't join an FC or send messages to people, but can group and do roulettes.  Much easier way to see if you want to keep playing than having to buy the starter game.

Patch 4.5 notes are out and it's going in now.  I likely won't play tonight (usually don't on Mondays anyhow) but I'm sure there are people who will have completed everything by the time I do get online finally.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #946 on: January 07, 2019, 08:27:04 AM

Oh that's interesting. Maybe I'll give it a shot in the next week or two.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #947 on: January 07, 2019, 08:34:11 AM

24 hours maintenance on the day I resubscribe? Rage.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #948 on: January 07, 2019, 11:05:14 AM

I think it's level 30 cap for the free trial.  I never hit any time limitations, but I admit to not sticking with it very much.

I have not seen the complete game go on sale, but there was a bundle during the steam winter sale for the base (which includes the first expansion?) and Stormblood, which was available for just under $40.

The game is much prettier than WoW, but very JRPG in style.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #949 on: January 07, 2019, 11:49:15 AM

Unfortunately I tried to buy the EU complete edition and use it on a NA account, and it did not work. Had to make a brand new EU account to use it.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #950 on: January 07, 2019, 11:55:56 AM

24 hours maintenance on the day I resubscribe? Rage.

It's patch day - 4.5 "A Requiem for Heroes" Part one is going in, part 2 is in March.  Starts the setup to the xpac which comes out in June.  And they block out 24 hours for maintenance but I've never heard of it going that long.

Oh, and I'll mention it again, I'm on Faerie under this name if anyone starts there. 

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #951 on: January 07, 2019, 12:36:44 PM

Plus they are adding blue mages, whatever the fuck those are.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #952 on: January 07, 2019, 12:59:18 PM

I'll be back... I always come back. But currently on hiatus.

Blue Mages are casters that are able to learn and use the monster's abilities. I had one at cap in FFXI, enjoyed it... but had it, quirks like no matter how many times a monster used the ability on you, you never learned it. No idea how they'll play out in 14.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #953 on: January 07, 2019, 01:12:13 PM

From what I understand
* Level cap of 50 right now
* Will not be allowed in raids that will sync your level
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 02:09:32 PM by Soulflame »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #954 on: January 07, 2019, 02:23:44 PM

And not allowed in PvP.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #955 on: January 09, 2019, 08:02:25 AM

Got my patch on last night and started the next series of MSQ quests and the new raid questline for Orbonne Monastery.  Holy lag monsters!  ACK!

It's actually kind of weird to have quests to do again, since I'd caught up and mostly just have had job related quested to do every few levels.  But that's nice, too.  Looking forward to finally getting into Orbonne for the raid and I have access to the new dungeon Ghimlty Dark or however it's spelled.  Didn't do either last night because it was late.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #956 on: January 09, 2019, 09:52:39 AM

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #957 on: January 13, 2019, 03:49:25 PM

Here you go, just for you.  awesome, for real

Anyways, I've finished the three main dungeons added for this patch - Ghimlyt Dark (MSQ), Ordonne Monastery, and A Wreath of Snakes - and enjoyed two of the three.  Ordonne was a freaking bitch to complete.  I don't think I've ever died so often and there is actually one point on the final boss where everyone gathers in one spot and the healers just spam heal over and over and over again and even then I think it could be iffy if one misses.  Crazy stuff.  It was a good raid but oh lawdy!

Back to leveling up the other jobs now on Rhyssa.

I have some alts on other servers and I occasionally work on them.  Doing one now that's only level 18 but seeing parts of the MSQ now are interesting.  I really didn't pay attention too closely the first time through so now, I'm seeing things and going "Ooooh!"  Like I completely forgot we'd met Nero this early in the series (my char was just sent from my home city to the others as an emissary) and had seen his face.  It's kind of strange to see these chars for the first time knowing what I do now, but fun too.  I think I'm going to enjoy rerunning through the MSQ in bits and pieces like this so I can pay more attention instead of just trying to level as quickly as possible to catch up with the folks I knew on the server.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #958 on: January 16, 2019, 08:50:31 AM

Blue mages went in during the regular maintenance patch this past Monday overnight and people are already level 50 (capped) in the class.  Including one of my FC-mates who has been slavering for the class for ages now.  He says it's a blast to play so I'm sure I'll pick it up eventually but right now, I'm more worried about leveling up other jobs and level 70 roulettes to gear up other classes. 

Got two levels on my AST and one for my DRG which isn't too bad.  Ended up running the Labyrinth of the Ancients raid three times last might, twice on the AST and once on the DRG and of course, DRG gear drops in runs I wasn't playing that class.  Not that I needed that gear, but it's nice for glamours.  I really need to pick one job and just focus on that to level it up and then move to the next, then the next, until I have them all at 70 or somewhat close.  Right now I jump around, sometimes based on what's needed for the roulettes. 

Terracotta Army

Reply #959 on: January 16, 2019, 09:27:34 AM

I have to live vicariously through you now that I let the sub slide and those fucking in the Elite: Dangerous thread got me playing that again.

I'll probably re-up this summer and maybe level everything I have under 30 under the free-bee umbrella when I want a taste here and there.

BLU is not motivating me as I had one in FFXI and thought it was fun, but more a side distraction rather than a job I wanted to get into.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #960 on: January 16, 2019, 10:11:56 AM

Thank for the screenshot Rhyssa.

After wanting to love this game for years, and after trying many many times to actually love it (but couldn't) I decided to give it ONE final try due to the super cheap complete edition. So far it is sticking more than it ever did but I see the same problems I always had.

I am tempted to go back and check my previous quick disappointed reviews/comments in this thread but l remember them fairly well. What's changed for me this time is just... me. At the moment I am happy to play a boring game because I can listen to talk shows and podcasts while I do it, it scrathces a nostalgic itch for old MMORPGs that aren't being made anymore and keeps me numb to things that I don't want to think about these days. But after delving deeper into a game that surprised me positively for its masterful art and polish and negatively for its terrible quests and over-simplified combat, I have to say that I still feel exactly the same way.

Pros:

- It's beautiful.
- Tons of content.
- Lots of classes, and a wonderful system that allows to change them on the fly multiplies the content as it's a pleasure to try them all and feel like you are always progressing with one class or the other.
- A myriad of minigames, side activities, things that make you feel like there is a ton of things to do and still worth discovering.

Cons:

- Redefines the concept of dull combat.
- Quests are among the worst in the history of gaming.
- It is too easy.

This is the biggest offender. It is too damn easy. I DO NOT CARE if it gets harder at level 10000 or so. So far I have run five dungeons and I haven't died once, in fact I haven't even gotten closer to die once. I have tried them as a tank, as a healer and as a dps. I have tried them multiple times with the duty finder (matchmaking system) and no matter how random the group was we always wiped the floor with all the enemies and bosses every single time without having to slow down. Seriously? It is as easy as Diablo story dungeons at normal difficulty, except the combat is in slow motion on a 2.5 global cooldown. What is the point?

I can't overstate how disappointed I am by the complete lack of challengel. This game is a wonderful tribute and rendition of the true classics of the MMORPG tradition, except you can basically roll your face on the keyboard and things die no matter what. Which is the opposite of how dungeons were intended in the past. I can understand the first two being tutorial-like but after that? No need for coordination, no need to do heal, sleep, rec, understand things, nothing. Just follow the tank on the rail to the main boss. Incoming damage is a joke, while group output is always more than enough. Fun?
Please understand that I am not asking for Dark Souls, I am simply asking to be able to run a dungeon (or five) and feel challenged if only for a second. I don't know if this is because the old content has been flooded with better items or they gimped the enemies to help people catch up, I don't care. All I know is that at level 30+ and with five dungeons under my belt I have never been under 75% health once, no matter the class and no matter the people I was with. What is the point?

With all that said, I am still having a good time with it cause I guess all I wanted at the moment was a digital candyland and that Final Fantasy vibe, but I don't see this lasting long if it keeps assaulting me with the stupidest amount of FedEx quests ever and the easiest dungeons in any MMORPG I've ever played.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #961 on: January 17, 2019, 06:45:46 AM

I have to live vicariously through you now that I let the sub slide and those fucking in the Elite: Dangerous thread got me playing that again.

I'll probably re-up this summer and maybe level everything I have under 30 under the free-bee umbrella when I want a taste here and there.

BLU is not motivating me as I had one in FFXI and thought it was fun, but more a side distraction rather than a job I wanted to get into.

Glad to be the vicarious FFXIV feed for you.  awesome, for real  Didn't play last night because I figure I have to be social with the husband occasionally so watched TV with him.

@Falconeer - not sure what to say but as long as the game is filling a need, then I guess that's good.

As for dungeons, I'm leveling another char because I want to go through the MSQ as a male to see what changes.  One thing I have noticed is yes, how easy the initial dungeons are and thinking about it, I'm fine with that.  Sure, it's boring as hell when you're doing the leveling roulette and you have 3 level 70s synced down to help someone in a new job (or an actual, occasional sprout/new player) and it seems like you're speed-running the dungeon.  But for someone new who went through the whole experience in the past year, I like that different mechanics are introduced over the course of the dungeons and amplified as you go up in levels and complexity.  You can't just stand in one place and attack, there are things you have to pay attention to.  After a while, dealing with the mechanics can be amusing, especially if you have people being lazy and getting killed by something that they really should know how to manage.  OTOH, learning new mechanics can be brutal at the higher level.  Doing the Ivalice raids and I went in with my gear at 100% and came out with it at 30% because I was having so much trouble with things that night.  So I guess it balances out.

I've also learned that I have no clue how to play Mahjong and even with the computer helping me, I still lose most of the time.  At least it's just points and not any coin.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #962 on: January 18, 2019, 03:02:20 AM

Anither big criticism I have:

all dungeons are gated by the main story. As a result, it doesn't matter what level I am (which is a problem cause the catch up mechanics make you overlevel dungeons no matter what, so you always face them when you are stronger than you should as if they weren't easy enough already), everyone has to go through a huge number of often boring and slow quest steps only to unlock the next dungeon. This is terrible to play with friends cause we can't just log in every night and try a new one, no, we have to make sure that everyone in the group has cleared all the story quests first. That can take between one to three hours and it's getting longer every time.
I can understand this for some high level dungeon, but every single one starting from the first? We are around level 30 now and out of 6 dungeons and a trial, only one didn't require a story unlock.

Simply put this is very bad when trying to play with friends, it's a completely new level of railroading and bottlenecking. Harsh.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #963 on: January 22, 2019, 06:54:10 AM

#NotAllDungeons  why so serious?

Anyways, leveling without rested bonus is just flatout painful.  Painful.  But OTOH, I dove into Palace of the Dead last night for a bit.  Did a quick 20 floors (you go them in sets of 10, so e.g. I did 71-80 and 81-90 last night) and got a level on my DRG.  I think I'm going to take my other lower level characters through there a few times.  The nice thing is that your PotD level and weapons/armor stay the same no matter what class or job you're on, so I'll be a level 17 rogue using +26 armor and +25 weapons when I go in.  Makes things a bit easier.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #964 on: February 03, 2019, 12:15:00 AM

So this weekend is the EU FanFest in Paris.  Extended teaser trailer was revealed.  Fills in a few more blanks, adds some more questions.  New job will be called Gunbreaker and it's a tank which is fine, I guess.  Plenty of people seemed happy and gods know, we don't need more DPS to compete with. 

Viera have been shown in game but only females, no mention of males.  It really shouldn't be gender-locked though, right?

New raid series developed in conjunction with whoever did NieR Automata or whatever it's called.  Something like that, it's not a game I play.

Expansion comes out on 2-Jul-2019 so still a ways out.  Pre-orders get in-game goodies starting 1-Mar though. more notably an earring that gives a 30% XP bonus, good up to level 70.  I'm tempted to pre-order just to get that to help level my lower level jobs.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #965 on: February 09, 2019, 10:21:10 AM

I have made it to level 55 and I have played for about a month. Let me tell you, this game is between a joke and an incredibly wasted opportunity. Seems weird for me to say this considering how successful it is, but I have tried and tried and tried and I can tell you with a lot of experience by now how stupid this game is.

Simply put, it has the WORST quest-grind and quest-flow ever, and probably the worst quests in any game I've ever played. The biggest problem? They are MANDATORY.

I am not talking about the side quests, I made a point of never ever undertaking a single side quest. And yet it does not matter. This is the first and only MMORPG where you can't progress at all unless you follow the main quest. You can't even do dungeons with your friends, you can't do anything unless you do the main story, which is mindnumbingly stupid, boring, infinitely long and a total joke. Plenty of MMORPGs have a main quest that needs to be completed at specific levels to unlock something, but this game suffers a huge identity crisis being part of the Final Fantasy series and believes that it has to provide a full fledged story mode like every other offline Final Fantasy. The problem? It is badly told. It is mandatory. It gates EVERYTHING. And contrary to the offline titles, it does not make you visit new areas with every new part of the story, no no, it sends you back to where you have been before about a billion times. Seriously, you have no idea. Me and my friends kept progressing thinking that at some point we would have moved to the new lands and stopped the eternal back and forth within the same fucking ten zones you have been teleporting around for 50 levels, but no. NO! Even after you finally complete the terribly told (which is a shame for a FF game) main story, you find out that you HAVE NOT really completed the main story and you are still forced to go over many new steps and are still gated out from all the expansion content. This is clearly a byproduct of them adding content after the initial release of the game but befoe releasing the expansions, and FORCING YOU TO PLAY THROUGH EVERY SINGLE BIT OF STORY even though that means -did I mention that?- simply running around the same places again and again and AGAIN AND AGAIN.
Can you believe it? Basically, you are done visiting all the available zones in about two weeks of real time, and then you think "OK if I fucking clear this stupid story maybe I'll unlock the new zones from the expansions, which I paid for...", well NO. It's like you are forced to play the post-game after the end of the main story and that still takes place in the non-expansion zones and after defeating what amounts to multiple GODS you are back to ferry jugs of water ot kill three (!) rats in the same old zones for days until eventually you complete another section of the new main story.

So in short:

- First MMORPG where everything is gated behind the main story quest.
- The main story quest is incredibly long, and incredibly boring. An infinite collection of bring me a cherry, now go there and kill ONE mob that is 10 levels below you.
- It's like these story quests prevent you from actually playing the game. You are forced to run all over (places that you have been a million times before) only to unlock a new dungeon which is super easy and will be cleared in 20 minutes. Then back to the running around.
- And yes dungeons are all super easy because everyone is overleveled so it's almost impossible to find a challenge. Also, there are no meaningful mechanics. They are incredibly simple and stupid. No roaming mobs. No stuns, mezz, fear, nothing. Never a surprise, never anything unexpected or dangerous. Never a swarm, always three mobs at a time, six if the tank is really bored.

This MMORPG is so weird. It is GORGEOUS, it has a lot of content, it has so many minigames and things to do and it is probably the most polished MMORPG I've ever seen.
At the same time, it seriously redefines the concepts of BORING, REPETITIVE and SIMPLE. Seriously the combat and encounter mechanics that have been a staple of all MMORPGs for 20 years have been completely removed. It's like this game is aimed at 4 years old, or maybe the opposite, at 70 years old. This feels like the game our grandparents might be comfortable learning and playing. Which would be fine if it was a little more obvious. This is not what you expect from a Final Fantasy nor any MMORPG.
It's so confusing how they could fuck it up so bad, and how it still works for so many people.

I am pissed.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 10:23:01 AM by Falconeer »

Terracotta Army

Reply #966 on: February 09, 2019, 10:44:04 AM

In my layman's opinion... they should have slowed xp way down so that you are at least in the level range of the MSQ dungeons when you come to them. I do agree, even sticking strictly to the MSQ, you vastly outlevel the content (which part of me enjoys, I like feeling like a god at times).

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #967 on: February 13, 2019, 06:52:28 AM

Palace of the Dead is a nice alternative to doing roulettes yet again to level a new job.

It's a huge pain in the ass when you fail on the final floor for the fourth time in a row and lose all your progress yet again.  Cry

Was doing PotD on my rogue last night and went through 31-40 with only one redo to complete that set.  Then kept failing when going through 41-50 when getting to the last floor.  We were really close to getting the boss down on the last try but just couldn't do it.  AND we had an actual healer in the group but they died first, of course.

One thing I do enjoy about PotD is the party makeup is just any four players, no class/job restrictions.  So you can end up with multiple tanks, or all DPS, or any other configuration.  Makes things kind of interesting when you don't have a healer to rely on.  OTOH, four DPS can tear mobs up if they are smart about things.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #968 on: February 13, 2019, 03:11:08 PM

I'm also pretty sure that the 1-50 main story path is getting an overhaul come Stormbringers, as the Realm Reborn MSQ and its unreasonable length and occasional bouts of tedium is often cited as the worst part of the game nowadays.

"Just stick with it until Heavensward" is what I hear told to brand new players the most often.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #969 on: March 01, 2019, 07:47:38 AM

Put in my pre-order for ShadowBringers last night and I'm hoping the bonus items are waiting in my inbox when I log in next (earring with 30% leveling boost).  I actually seriously considered the CE version to get the special mount, another minion (Fran) and something else I'm forgetting but decided it's not worth an extra $20 for something I'd rarely use.

The earring will be a nice XP boost since I'm pushing to get all my jobs to 50 (to use more roulettes) and then up to 60 and 70.  I figure if I do it in steps like that it won't seem so bad.  Got my rogue converted to ninja and I'm going to miss the rogues guild storyline, actually.  It was interesting how they presented the rogues and the need for them to work behind the scenes like they do.  Plus the thieves cant reminded me of Planscape, so there's that. :D

Took my DRK back into PotD last night to finish off the 31-40 and 41-50 floors and got to level 40 when I was finished.  It's nice when the weapon/armor in there carries over between jobs, which means both mine are now +60 so I can do some damage on any class.  Going to see how that works when I take a baby PUG in there this weekend.  I do wish you could have more than 2 save slots though but I have done all 100 levels on my rogue so I guess I don't need to save that.  Eventually I'm going to move on to doing Heaven-on-High, which is the other deep dungeon.  I've heard it's fun, too, just not made it into there yet.

I'm going to see how much the XP boost earring along with FC and food bonuses helps leveling.  Debating on if I want to pick up conjurer (WHM) and thaumaturge (BLM) just so I can start getting rid of the gear I have stored for those classes.  I was always planning on picking them up "eventually" but have just been waiting until I'm either further along on the jobs I have in progress or have completed those.  But if the earring bonus makes a significant difference, even without having any rested bonus time (new jobs chew that up in no time flat) then it would be worth doing them now so I'm that much closer to max when ShB comes out in July.  I think the only classes/jobs I'm not going to worry about are gladiator (PLD) and marauder (WAR) because I'm just really not comfortable being a tank.  I'll do them some day if only for completeness sake, but not any time in the foreseeable future.

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #970 on: March 01, 2019, 10:36:06 AM

Any of you active on eu-server?

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #971 on: March 01, 2019, 10:40:12 AM

No, I'm on US servers.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #972 on: March 01, 2019, 12:48:07 PM

Same, US server Faerie, Aether data center.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #973 on: March 01, 2019, 10:33:33 PM

Woo, go Faerie! I have recently reactivated to buy a fat cat mount check out all the stuff that was added since 3.0 (when I last played). So far the answer is somewhere between 'shitton' and 'omgwtfbbq'.

I am kind of sad they moved the servers to the west coast, though. With my 300+ eastern european ping, playing many classes is super obnoxious, even samurai (which is supposed to be latency-friendly)... should I just bite the bullet and level a black mage?

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #974 on: March 02, 2019, 03:24:59 PM

Zetor - you're on Faerie, too?  What's your char name there?

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #975 on: March 02, 2019, 11:05:14 PM

"Zaphir Kalaphir", but more importantly Bearer of the Panda Hat  awesome, for real

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #976 on: March 13, 2019, 07:42:57 AM

The past two days have been painful reminders that if I don't play my SCH regularly, the times I do play are painful in the extreme.  Like, wondering if your gear is going to break because you've died to many times painful.  Luckily the worst in raids that didn't seem to be running smoothly either, so my shame was mildly masked by that.  why so serious?

Highlight was someone asking the SMN if they were going to bother ressing after I and my co-healer both got killed in one of the 8 man raids.  That was fun.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #977 on: March 26, 2019, 02:57:07 PM

Full trailer for ShadowBringers is now out.

I don't care if you like the game or not, the music is consistently high-quality and seriously badass.  I've never particularly paid attention to music in games previously but find myself wanting to get the soundtrack for FFXIV, especially if they're going to feature the song in the trailer.

Terracotta Army

Reply #978 on: March 26, 2019, 04:02:06 PM

Full trailer for ShadowBringers is now out.

I don't care if you like the game or not, the music is consistently high-quality and seriously badass.  I've never particularly paid attention to music in games previously but find myself wanting to get the soundtrack for FFXIV, especially if they're going to feature the song in the trailer.

Final Fantasy has always had great music... even the early midi days were awesome.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #979 on: April 03, 2019, 07:39:02 AM

Since yesterday was an election day around these parts, I stayed home with the dog because the husband is an election judge.  Which meant I got to "work" from home while basically doing whatever ingame.  It wasn't much since I'm out of rested bonus again.  Strange (or not) how annoyed I get by trying to level without that bonus.

Anyways, since I didn't want to sit out a queue or risk being in a dungeon in case work demanded my attention, I decided to look up what I had to do for my relic weapon progress.  Oh, the dungeons involved can be done unsynced!  Since this is the level 50ish portion of the relic weapon for my summoner, I dove right in.  I really haven't done any dungeons unsynced before and certainly haven't tried soloing any of them but it was actually kind of fun to do.  A few of the final bosses gave me some trouble and it took me several tries to defeat them but others were pretty straightforward and went down fast.  I still have one more dungeon to do for this stretch (The Vault) and since that's level 57, I'm kind of wondering how that will go solo. 

It took me 84 of the 90 minutes allowed to clear The Aery dungeon since I was really struggling to defeat Niddhogg at the end.  There is one attack he does that fetters a player and if the attack (Scarlet Weave) isn't defeated, it's instant death for the player.  Since I was solo, no way to avoid that attack.  Finally looked up some guides online and watched a video of a scholar soloing the fight and found out how to do it (drop shadow flare right before being caught and the dot will take out the attack) so after than, surviving was easy.  The next hard part was keeping the stupid NPC alive at the end long enough to finish off the boss.  He takes damage but my healing as a SMN is pretty pathetic, so he kept dying on me.  Finally swapped out some rings to up my healing attributes and it did just enough to make a difference (by a razor thin margin).  Actually, when I finally defeated Niddhogg I'm not even sure how I did it.  I'd gotten caught in a second round of the Scarlet Weave attack and didn't get my shadow flare down so I was sure I was going to die but nope, the tank pet came though and saved the day for me. 

The whole exercise of doing the dungeons solo was interesting because I had to think of alternate ways to kill the final bosses when it was just me and a pet.  Most of the mini-bosses went down fast to sheer damage output and out-leveling the content by 20 levels, but the final bosses could still be tough.  I'm not sure how long I'll keep working on the relic stuff, but it was amusing enough to do when I couldn't be really involved in the game.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  
Jump to: