Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:17:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  (Read 382089 times)
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #665 on: May 10, 2014, 04:43:31 PM

2.3 is already in the works with a lot more stuff planned.  Their content releases are so far unmatched.
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #666 on: May 10, 2014, 06:12:24 PM

Word on the street is the WAR is the new FotM. They can tank or DPS and have good survivability overall. They go the way of stacking HP as opposed to PLD that stacks mitigation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1UaQTdQXmY

4 warriors running through a late game dungeon video. They do pretty well surprisingly.

Either way, you are best off leveling everything up, at least to 15, for cross class options. For WAR, you will need PUG and GLD skills.

Wait, that video is the *new and improved* FF14? I skipped through at about 1 minute intervals, every time it was the same thing -- dudes standing around spamming hotkeys on cooldowns targeting a few mobs with high health who also just sorta hung around. Looked about as exciting as a WoW raid video. Lame, pass.
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #667 on: May 10, 2014, 07:10:49 PM

I tried to read your comment but it was just symbols used as letters in certain order to convey some meaning and well I lost interest.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #668 on: May 10, 2014, 09:38:18 PM

FFXIV is not innovative in it's combat; it's tab-target hotbar etc. It is however very polished and graphically beautiful; if you're not looking for a very good DIKU it's not for you.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #669 on: May 11, 2014, 02:22:59 AM

The quests are terrible and the combat -for my tastes- is the most boring since 2002 or so. 2.5 seconds global cooldown is a constant kick in the face, at this rate I'd rather play a turn based game. I had a little crush on FF14 but I simply couldn't push beyond level 20 or so. Still, the world is beautiful, the visuals and sound fx so cute and "satisfying" that I can see myself going back for a little while too. That stupid monthly fee though...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 02:24:39 AM by Falconeer »

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #670 on: May 11, 2014, 08:42:11 AM

I forgot about the quests; I agree the quests are complete shit. Tons of vanilla-WoW/EQ era running back and forth, talk to this guy, run here, talk, run, blah blah blah. And the story quests are mandatory for progression; all kinds of important systems are gated behind the main story quest so you can't really skip it.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #671 on: May 11, 2014, 10:38:34 AM

Wow that combat is the worst i've seen in any MMO since the original everquest.

I am the .00000001428%
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #672 on: May 11, 2014, 02:47:53 PM

I'm not going to defend combat.  It very much is just a standard button mashing MMO.  But to judge it based on your perception of 3 minutes in a very easy dungeon being run by 4 tanks makes you look really stupid.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #673 on: May 11, 2014, 04:48:56 PM

Sorry but no, that may have been standard ten years ago but it is certainly not now. 

I am the .00000001428%
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #674 on: May 11, 2014, 05:24:29 PM

Okay buddy. It's all garbage, you win. Carry on.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #675 on: May 11, 2014, 06:56:03 PM

Sorry but no, that may have been standard ten years ago but it is certainly not now. 
I'll bite. If you're of the type that loved GW2 and that dodge/aim sort of combat, you won't like FFXIV. For me, I don't want to have to roll out of ground circles for 50+ levels. The only marked differences between FFXIV's combat and WoW's are longer GCD and fewer abilities. If you're one of those people who hate tab-target hotbar combat, this isn't the game for you. But being incredibly similar to the industry leader does not mean your combat sucks.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #676 on: May 11, 2014, 07:01:28 PM

Fewer abilities sounds nice.  I've liked the games where you don't have 6 hot bars worth to manage.  The 2.5 sec GCD just sounds brutal, however. I'm not sure I could stomach that pacing.  I don't mind DIKU combat, but when it trends towards slower play, I start to balk.  LOTR comes to mind in that department.

-Rasix
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #677 on: May 11, 2014, 07:12:07 PM

Rendakor hit the nail on the head.  I'm not going to say the combat is awesome, nor will I say it sucks.  It's all subjective.

I find that after a long day of work and school, I don't want to spend my hour/day of game time on twitch gameplay.  I stopped playing GW2 and I don't like what Wildstar is offering exactly because of this reason.  However, FFXIV has a nice, plodding combat rythm that I enjoy.  Yes, it's similar to EQ1 combat.  I am okay with that.

I play this very very casually on PS3 for single player times and on PC if I need to group.  It's not for everyone, but I like it.

Oh, and the sub helps keep the riff raff away. 
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #678 on: May 11, 2014, 07:23:47 PM

I'll bite. If you're of the type that loved GW2 and that dodge/aim sort of combat, you won't like FFXIV. For me, I don't want to have to roll out of ground circles for 50+ levels. The only marked differences between FFXIV's combat and WoW's are longer GCD and fewer abilities. If you're one of those people who hate tab-target hotbar combat, this isn't the game for you. But being incredibly similar to the industry leader does not mean your combat sucks.

I loved Age of Wushu combat and rank it above GW2s combat and it was straight up diku tab target and press abilities. Incredibly similar except with a 2.5 second GCD is basically saying incredibly similar except unbearably worse.

I am the .00000001428%
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #679 on: May 11, 2014, 08:45:53 PM

If you wanna die on this hill, fine, whatever.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #680 on: May 11, 2014, 09:23:07 PM

I thought FFXIV's combat was incredibly dull when compared to WOW or RIFT. Playing a white mage probably didn't help, though.

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #681 on: May 11, 2014, 09:26:47 PM

I'm not going to defend combat.  It very much is just a standard button mashing MMO.  But to judge it based on your perception of 3 minutes in a very easy dungeon being run by 4 tanks makes you look really stupid.
I'd say it's worse than standard thanks to the really long GCD. And no, you don't need more than 3 minutes to get good idea how slow pacing it is.
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #682 on: May 11, 2014, 09:49:52 PM

When did this thread get hijacked by rerolled.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #683 on: May 11, 2014, 09:55:33 PM

Most recently? around post #667.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #684 on: May 11, 2014, 10:35:50 PM

When did this thread get hijacked by rerolled.

Sorry that we're not in love with your game.  Don't take it so personally.

If it makes you feel better, I'll play it when it's as close to free as possible.

-Rasix
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #685 on: May 11, 2014, 11:40:32 PM

You don't like the combat.  I don't care that you don't like it.  What's the argument?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #686 on: May 12, 2014, 12:12:44 AM

You don't like the combat.  I don't care that you don't like it.  What's the argument?

The argument is that Threash said:

Wow that combat is the worst i've seen in any MMO since the original everquest.

And even though you said you weren't going to defend the combat, you defended the combat.
The thing is, outside of "it's all subjective!" and remembering that there's people who actually like being gagged and whipped or who genuinely love cauliflower and broccoli -and I think that's absolutely fine- FF14's combat is the slowest paced combat in any MMORPG since EQ1, Anarchy Online and Final Fantasy 11. Of course that doesn't make it the "worst" combat, since as we said everything is subjective, but it shouldn't be too hard to understand why it is easily and widely perceived as a piece of shit.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #687 on: May 12, 2014, 03:29:25 AM

The problem is that, while some people still kinda like it, tab-target-hotbar-clicky combat needs to go away.  When the thing you do the most in the game is also the dullest part of the game, you have a problem.  Same goes for boring as hell questing and long grinds with slow progression. Very few people want that shit anymore, and it goes a long way in explaining why AAA MMOs struggle as much as they do these days. 

I want to like any FF game, but it sounds like this one, despite all the shinyness it might have, is making the same stupid mistakes every big MMO makes.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #688 on: May 12, 2014, 06:12:27 AM

I like the combat and have no trouble with the pacing. I like that all of my most commonly used skills fit on one hotbar. I also found that leveling was the easiest of any MMO I've played. Now that I'm at end game I've got lots of crafting to do and dungeons of various levels of difficulty to keep me busy.

Senses - you need to learn to ignore it when people say it's worst game they've ever played or you'll be trolled unmercifully.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #689 on: May 12, 2014, 06:24:37 AM

For soloing, a long GCD probably isn't optimal, though I'd say soloing isn't optimal. I really enjoyed having the longer GCD in group play. It let me think rather than acting like a spaz monkey.

Sadly, I reached the high levels and the people I met were like my worst nightmares from WoW. That might have been an example of the overachievers hitting the top and getting bored and abusive, but it was enough to sour me on logging in and I drifted away.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #690 on: May 12, 2014, 06:35:07 AM

I know what you're talking about Numtini. I guess I was lucky with all of my pick up groups before but on the last dungeon I did I met a group that were such major assholes I was tempted to ditch half way through just to screw them over.

They were on a speed run and had no patience for me who hadn't done the dungeon before. I even skipped cut scenes to be accomodating but they would rather snark than tell me what the tricks were to the various bosses. If I got groups like that too often it'd be enough to sour me on the game for sure.
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #691 on: May 12, 2014, 08:33:09 AM

I like the combat and have no trouble with the pacing. I like that all of my most commonly used skills fit on one hotbar. I also found that leveling was the easiest of any MMO I've played. Now that I'm at end game I've got lots of crafting to do and dungeons of various levels of difficulty to keep me busy.

Senses - you need to learn to ignore it when people say it's worst game they've ever played or you'll be trolled unmercifully.

Oh I know, it is the internet after all.  My issue was judgment based on that video which was 4 tanks running WP. 
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #692 on: May 12, 2014, 09:15:52 AM

Agreed that the community wasn't great when I was playing it (around launch). We would have 3 guildies and the PUG was always some impatient, shitheel DPS. Did they ever fix it so you could queue for the bosses for your relic (hydra and chimera iirc), instead of having to form groups for them the old fashioned way because reasons?

Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #693 on: May 12, 2014, 09:39:18 AM

Yes.  Its in the duty finder now.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #694 on: May 12, 2014, 09:45:47 AM

Good to hear for whenever I inevitably resub.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #695 on: May 12, 2014, 10:34:24 AM

I think the concept of the "speedrun" is probably the thing that's most sucked the fun out of MMOs for me.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #696 on: May 12, 2014, 11:56:54 AM

I think the concept of the "speedrun" is probably the thing that's most sucked the fun out of MMOs for me.

This killed FFXIV for me. It will kill the rest of the MMOs out there for me as well because speedruns, to me, are completely contrary to a video game play session.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #697 on: May 12, 2014, 02:11:20 PM

Well, I know speed runs date back to at least 1999 (Diablo), so it's not like MMO developers had any way of anticipating such behavior!  why so serious?

That said, I can't remember ever seeing it in EQ, at least not the first several years anyway. Just the opposite in fact. Camp check? Plane of Fear?

So maybe project 1999   is the MMO for you?  awesome, for real

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #698 on: May 12, 2014, 03:01:09 PM

There's plenty I could nitpick about the game, but overall I'm surprisingly happy with it.  The pacing also feels better than when I played in beta.

The combat speed is fine for my grandma-aged self.  A good number of abilities, but they all fit on two hotbars.  (As a Dragoon, which I'm told is one of the worst.)  Most AoEs are marked so I'm not taking damage I don't expect.  So not quite as busy as GW2, but I'm okay with what it is given it's tab-targeting.

What they have done is pay attention to a lot of little details.  Individually they don't mean much, but it adds up to a nice experience overall.  Step sounds based upon ground type.  Lips moving when talking.  /visor (has SWTOR added /hood yet?).  Best weather system I've seen yet.  No artificial gating of classes, and in fact being higher level speeds up the leveling of other classes.  You can get good looking outfits from early on.  Etc.

I'm not finding bugs with every step.  The controls are responsive.  The graphics are nice.  It's basically everything I wanted from FFXI.

My only serious gripe is the number of dungeons interspersed through the story.  Fortunately between my roommate and the guild we joined I rarely have to deal with a PUG member.  Dealing with strangers is my own issue though, so there's that.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #699 on: May 13, 2014, 06:23:08 AM

But being incredibly similar to the industry leader does not mean your combat sucks.

It does if the industry leader's combat sucks. (The industry leader's combat sucks)

Seriously, this logic would be laughed out of the room in any other industry where it's just taken for granted that the taste of Middle America isn't necessarily the same thing as good taste.

"You think this burger is bland and poorly made? Well buddy, let me tell you, this burger is incredibly similar to Guy Fieri's bland and tasteless burger, and he's got millions of diners!"
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  
Jump to: