Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:17:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  (Read 382145 times)
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #490 on: September 26, 2013, 07:13:20 PM

You need to do some dungeons along the way, but that's like 5%?

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #491 on: September 26, 2013, 07:21:32 PM

Alrighty then, thx.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #492 on: September 26, 2013, 07:29:00 PM

It's something like 12 dungeons and 4 trials (single boss fights) in the story that you must complete to advance.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #493 on: September 27, 2013, 02:41:43 AM

Can you solo in this game to max level?  I hate pugs, and none of my other friends have any interest at all.

If you forgo the story which forces you to group up for dungeons and just FATE grind/mob grind? Yes, you most certainly can. Why you would want to in a FF game, ignoring the story completely? no idea.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #494 on: September 27, 2013, 02:52:02 AM

Can you solo in this game to max level?  I hate pugs, and none of my other friends have any interest at all.

If you forgo the story which forces you to group up for dungeons and just FATE grind/mob grind? Yes, you most certainly can. Why you would want to in a FF game, ignoring the story completely? no idea.

The other problem with forgoing the story is that if you skip the story quests you won't be able to join a grand company, get a chocobo (and later on get the quest to be able to use it as a pet in combat), learn how to convert materia, or get a retainer.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #495 on: September 27, 2013, 04:27:05 AM

Or participate in any endgame content, since all of those dungeons are story related.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #496 on: September 27, 2013, 07:15:26 AM

I don't like PUGs, either, but they do make it pretty easy to get a group without interrupting your playing mostly.  I've had one terrible group, some of which was my fault, when I first started and I was tanking.  I fixed that by going DPS instead.  Now I get to follow the tank around and hit what he hits and eliminate adds.  Dungeons are really easy for DPS characters.  I don't find the story incredibly interesting and there are a lot of nonsense quests and inane gibberish dialog that sort of puts me off a wee tiny bit but the 4 man dungeons are quick and simple so far.  If I were in a small guild of friends, it would be good fun.  I'd even consider team speak so the consolers could communicate.  But I don't like pick up guilds, either.  If I can't play with friends, I'd rather play mostly alone.

I'm shy.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #497 on: September 27, 2013, 07:25:42 AM

If you're in a dungeon and there's something that you can Need on, Need on it, unless you already have a Unique version it and can't get a second. Once you get the second Sergeant rank for your Grand Company, you can take all those old green/purple items you find that you either have outleveled or don't have any use for and turn them in for seals.

Never hit Pass for anything, ever.

I'd amend this to mention that if it's convertible, you should break it down for materia instead of seals. If you're doing daily crafting tasks for your GC or regularly FATE grinding to level alts, you'll be absolutely rolling in seals, and the only time I've ever felt that I actually was in need of seals is when I was grinding for my chocobo (and even that is just an afternoon's worth of work if you grind GC leves or FATEs)

Can somebody break down exactly what this means? What is "second Sergeant rank for your Grand Company"? Green/Purple items? Seals? Materia?

I have been bumbling about on my Thaumaturge (level 15ish?), playing with crafting/gathering (level 5-10ish) but I have no idea what binding means even though I've been congratulated a few times that things are fully bound to me. I don't understand what to do with things I've made if I don't use them, how to post things onto the Marketplace or why I'm bothering with this crafting/gathering really other than it's there to be done.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #498 on: September 27, 2013, 07:46:04 AM

Grand Companies are factions; there are 3, and you'll join one around level 20. Seals are currency earned by doing Fates and the GC hunting log; you use the seals to increase your GC rank and buy GC gear. Materia are basically gems. Item quality goes White < Pink < Green < Blue. Pinks and greens can be exchanged for seals once you hit a certain rank.

Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #499 on: September 27, 2013, 11:11:18 AM

Rendakor covered it, but just for some more context on materia, they're like gems, but you come into possession of them sort of like enchanting materials. Every piece of equipment has a "Spiritbond" counter that starts at 0%. As you wear it while doing pretty much anything (combat, crafting, gathering), the spiritbond rate will go up. Once it hits 100% you can convert it to a materia. That materia will usually be of a randomly selected stat that the gear had on it. You can then get a craftsman to attach the materia to your equipment.

At the high end, materia is some of the most expensive stuff on the market. This is partially because pretty much the first step in every classes relic weapon quest is to have a specific craftable weapon attached with two specific pieces of materia. Generally speaking, the materia costs several times as much as the weapon itself.

The system is a little bit annoying because you start seeing equipment with materia slots about 5-10 levels before they bother to describe the system to you at all, and then you kick yourself because you've been selling perfectly useful equipment that could have been converted to materia to vendors for 1 gil.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #500 on: September 27, 2013, 11:44:25 AM

If you're in a dungeon and there's something that you can Need on, Need on it, unless you already have a Unique version it and can't get a second. Once you get the second Sergeant rank for your Grand Company, you can take all those old green/purple items you find that you either have outleveled or don't have any use for and turn them in for seals.

Never hit Pass for anything, ever.
I'd amend this to mention that if it's convertible, you should break it down for materia instead of seals. If you're doing daily crafting tasks for your GC or regularly FATE grinding to level alts, you'll be absolutely rolling in seals, and the only time I've ever felt that I actually was in need of seals is when I was grinding for my chocobo (and even that is just an afternoon's worth of work if you grind GC leves or FATEs)
Can somebody break down exactly what this means? What is "second Sergeant rank for your Grand Company"? Green/Purple items? Seals? Materia?

I have been bumbling about on my Thaumaturge (level 15ish?), playing with crafting/gathering (level 5-10ish) but I have no idea what binding means even though I've been congratulated a few times that things are fully bound to me. I don't understand what to do with things I've made if I don't use them, how to post things onto the Marketplace or why I'm bothering with this crafting/gathering really other than it's there to be done.
The main storyline starting at level 22 will lead to a very long-winded series of quests that unlocks the ability to join a Grand Company. Ranks and seals are part of being in a GC. You'll also be able to do another series of quests to get a mount after you've joined a GC. There's another storyline quest at level 17 that will unlock retainers. Retainers are what allow you to sell things on the Market Boards. There's yet another quest that unlocks materia usage.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #501 on: September 27, 2013, 12:52:11 PM

Thank you, Trippy, Goldenmean and Rendakor - I thought I had sleepwalked through playing or something. I just haven't gotten there yet.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #502 on: September 28, 2013, 03:44:37 PM

I sat in a queue for about a half hour for Sastasha - then when it popped, I was in another window and didn't notice, so I sat in a queue for another half hour. Got in a group of people who knew what they were doing though so it went smoothly and was done quickly.

Why can't MMOs hire somebody whose job it is is to ban gold sellers? Send out one spam message and BOOM ban. What is so freakin' hard about that? It would cost them next to nothing, and would improve the quality of the gaming experience for everyone a great deal.

It's not rocket science.
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #503 on: September 28, 2013, 04:20:43 PM

I've always wondered that too, like how hard would it be to hire 1 person to go from server to server, town to town banning gold sellers all day?
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #504 on: September 28, 2013, 04:24:04 PM

I know a bunch of gil sellers are people who have had compromised accounts. I've seen some of my FC members on at odd hours spamming.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #505 on: September 28, 2013, 06:50:21 PM

I know a bunch of gil sellers are people who have had compromised accounts. I've seen some of my FC members on at odd hours spamming.

Don't people get their accounts compromised by buying from gold spammers?
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #506 on: September 28, 2013, 09:09:54 PM

I thought they just got brute forced.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #507 on: September 29, 2013, 09:30:25 AM

I thought they just got brute forced.

Could be, but the point is this - if game companies wanted to mute the spammers, they could easily do it. Having a person online responding to complaints immediately would do it.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #508 on: September 29, 2013, 11:09:57 AM

I emailed them and complained and then I accused them of using gold spammers as a source of revenue and they might end up with more spammers than players.  They didn't respond.  My ignore list is filling up.  Soon I'll be ignoring over already ignored spammers.  Every time it fills up, I'll email the list to them.  I'm sure they'll appreciate my help.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #509 on: September 29, 2013, 11:17:49 AM

I sat in a queue for about a half hour for Sastasha - then when it popped, I was in another window and didn't notice, so I sat in a queue for another half hour. Got in a group of people who knew what they were doing though so it went smoothly and was done quickly.

Why can't MMOs hire somebody whose job it is is to ban gold sellers? Send out one spam message and BOOM ban. What is so freakin' hard about that? It would cost them next to nothing, and would improve the quality of the gaming experience for everyone a great deal.

It's not rocket science.

One person to monitor every channel of every zone of every server?

I am the .00000001428%
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #510 on: September 29, 2013, 12:09:45 PM

One person to monitor every channel of every zone of every server?

Isn't this what interns are for? Seriously, how hard would it be. One assumes you can queue all the shout channels into one screen, then you just play whack-a-mole. You don't have to get every one. You just need to get enough so that it's not worthwhile.

Obviously first you create the tools to do things like right click ignore/report. The whole thing should just not be that hard.

Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #511 on: September 29, 2013, 03:53:19 PM

Obviously first you create the tools to do things like right click ignore/report. The whole thing should just not be that hard.

This is really the main problem.  That is a crazy bad oversight.  I wouldn't really have stopped to give a shit about spammers if it was easy to ignore them, as it is in every other game.

And no, the whole thing about how people who get their accounts hacked are gold buyers is a pretty off-base assumption.  That's one way to get your account stolen, sure.  But far from the only way.

Now, the people whose credit cards are being used for fraudulent purchases of copies of the game by gold farmers?  Those are probably mostly gold buyers.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #512 on: September 30, 2013, 12:51:25 AM

So I got to the point in the story where you have to run the Titan tria; I don't think I wiped so many times in a single levelling dungeon/encounter in any MMO, ever. Worst part is, as a healer I could do precisely NOTHING about any of the wipes (most of them were due to DPS being 1-shot by aoe in phase 1, then not having enough damage to kill the heart in phase 2). Then the group dissolved, I requeued and got another group that one-shot it without problems.

Was this a fluke, or is this to be expected in endgame dungeons? I mean, I'm sorta-OK with tough/punishing dungeons (I actually liked healing heroics at the start of WOW Cata before everyone got their epix), but wiping constantly just because one person stands in fire doesn't sound very fun.

Going back to the 'too few buttons' gripe: it persists even at level 34 after having unlocked the white mage job. For soloing it's Stone II * infinity (sometimes using the faster casting self-buff and the knockback), and in dungeons I can choose between 'small heal', 'big heal that kills my mana bar unless I got a 15% RNG proc from my small heal beforehand', and 'pbaoe heal that kills my mana bar', all with long cast times meaning lots of 'rock and hard place' situations if the boss lays a one-shot AE circle on me while I'm 3/4 done casting cure 2 on the tank. Maybe I should've gone scholar instead...

Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #513 on: September 30, 2013, 03:18:39 AM

Going back to the 'too few buttons' gripe: it persists even at level 34 after having unlocked the white mage job. For soloing it's Stone II * infinity (sometimes using the faster casting self-buff and the knockback), and in dungeons I can choose between 'small heal', 'big heal that kills my mana bar unless I got a 15% RNG proc from my small heal beforehand', and 'pbaoe heal that kills my mana bar', all with long cast times meaning lots of 'rock and hard place' situations if the boss lays a one-shot AE circle on me while I'm 3/4 done casting cure 2 on the tank. Maybe I should've gone scholar instead...

Regen helps some. At least that's something you can cast while on the move. IIRC, that's the level 40 white mage, but yeah, other than that, you've pretty much covered it. As soon as you hit level cap, I'd suggest getting Thaumaturge to 26. That'll get you swiftcast, which helps in those situations where you need to move and heal at the same time (though only once a minute). And soloing is only ever stone ad infinitum. It's dull as rocks. There's not a lot of diversity of abilities as a white mage. It bothered me a lot less once I got regen, but when doing cross-game comparisons, I feel a ton weaker as a healer in this game than I ever did as any of the heal classes in WoW. Don't know how much scholar would help the situation. They're in about the same position as far as cast time goes, though the pet apparently helps a lot.

As for encounter difficulty, it varies wildly. End-game encounters at this point are limited to two 4-man dungeons, one 8-man raid, and three 8 man hard-mode primals. Hard-mode Ifrit is easily PUGable, and you can deal with a lot of idiots standing in fire and still complete it without much difficulty. Hard-mode Garuda is significantly more difficult, but is still doable in a pick up group, as long as you don't end up with too many undergeared or incompetent people. Hard-mode Titan is ... well, you just experienced normal mode Titan. Take that, make it require a group of 8 instead of 4 and crank the difficulty up to 11. It's really not PUGable at this point (unless you get really, really lucky with your PUG). You can't run the 8 man dungeon until you do hard-mode Titan, so I'm sure you can draw your own conclusions as to difficulty there.

The two four man dungeons are tiered, though they don't make that very obvious as a fresh 50. In fact, they breadcrumb you a lot more towards the more difficult of the two. Do yourself a favor and don't attempt Amdapor until you've either gotten some level cap craftables, or have geared up some in Wanderer's Palace. Ideally, getting your Ifrit weapon first would help a lot also. Assuming you've got appropriate gear, WP is pretty easy. Amdapor, slightly less so. The second boss especially is pretty unforgiving.

Oh, I suppose you can also constantly rerun the last two story dungeons as well. Those are 8 man and are pretty trivially PUGable. They don't drop loot, but they do drop the FFXIV equivalent of badges/emblems/whatnot. One of them has a few fairly entertaining (though quite easy) boss encounters also.

Patch 2.1 is meant to bring a new level cap dungeon, two level-cap hard-modes of existing dungeons, two more single boss primal type fights and a 24 man raid, which is meant to be balanced easier than Coils of Bahamut. It sounds like they're balancing the raid to be PUGable. Who knows about the other stuff at this point though.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #514 on: September 30, 2013, 10:14:51 AM

So I got to the point in the story where you have to run the Titan tria; I don't think I wiped so many times in a single levelling dungeon/encounter in any MMO, ever. Worst part is, as a healer I could do precisely NOTHING about any of the wipes (most of them were due to DPS being 1-shot by aoe in phase 1, then not having enough damage to kill the heart in phase 2). Then the group dissolved, I requeued and got another group that one-shot it without problems.

Was this a fluke, or is this to be expected in endgame dungeons? I mean, I'm sorta-OK with tough/punishing dungeons (I actually liked healing heroics at the start of WOW Cata before everyone got their epix), but wiping constantly just because one person stands in fire doesn't sound very fun.
This is the expected behavior for Titan HM. In fact not only are there now groups selling guaranteed runs through Titan HM for hundreds of thousands of Gil but supposedly some of those same sellers are intentionally tanking PUG runs on Titan HM to make their services more valuable. And just to add even more Internet Drama to the situation one of the Reddit FFXIV subreddit mods is in one of the guilds on Ultros that's accused of this behavior and was actively modding the threads on this problem trying to squelch discussion.
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #515 on: September 30, 2013, 11:17:11 AM

This is the expected behavior for Titan HM. In fact not only are there now groups selling guaranteed runs through Titan HM for hundreds of thousands of Gil but supposedly some of those same sellers are intentionally tanking PUG runs on Titan HM to make their services more valuable. And just to add even more Internet Drama to the situation one of the Reddit FFXIV subreddit mods is in one of the guilds on Ultros that's accused of this behavior and was actively modding the threads on this problem trying to squelch discussion.

That sounds like the sort of rumor that spreads easily when everyone wants to find a reason to hate a group of people.  But both disgusting and sort of creatively hilarious if true.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #516 on: October 01, 2013, 03:13:28 AM

Don't people get their accounts compromised by buying from gold spammers?

Also some fansites (I think the Zam stuff most often) "lose" their passwords fairly often, and I know a large rash of people who have had their accounts hijacked recently did so because they used the same password for the game as on a fansite.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #517 on: October 02, 2013, 04:25:14 AM

People, in general, always use the same password for everything.  If you're lucky they'll use 2-4 passwords. This is partly human nature and partly due to the sheer number of passwords we have to maintain these days. 

If I had a different one for every login I use just at work I'd have to remember 8 passwords just to get through the business day.  So instead I chunk.  Business PW, personal website PWs, game PWs, game website PWs, application (spotify/ pandora, etc) PWs and a different PW for every bank, PIN numbers and security system combinations. 

Yeah it's less than ideal, but it means not having to maintain a PW app that I can't access on systems it's not set-up on.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #518 on: October 02, 2013, 10:01:52 AM

I emailed them and complained and then I accused them of using gold spammers as a source of revenue and they might end up with more spammers than players.  They didn't respond.  My ignore list is filling up.  Soon I'll be ignoring over already ignored spammers.  Every time it fills up, I'll email the list to them.  I'm sure they'll appreciate my help.

For some reason, when I try to use /blist add <player name>, it fails every time. I cannot block these spammers. What's the trick to actually get a working blacklist?

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #519 on: October 02, 2013, 10:24:02 AM

For some reason, when I try to use /blist add <player name>, it fails every time. I cannot block these spammers. What's the trick to actually get a working blacklist?

If they have sent you a private tell:
/blist add <r>

If they are shouting, then if you click their name, one option is send player a tell or something like that, click that, and it will say
/tell playername blahblah
so you can copy/paste playername blahblah into /blist.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #520 on: October 02, 2013, 10:25:34 AM

3 in a row, when you're doing the retainer quest.

It's not terribly bad finding a group as dps right now but what happens in a month? Will people still want to sign up for it?
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #521 on: October 02, 2013, 10:35:06 AM

If they have sent you a private tell:
/blist add <r>

If they are shouting, then if you click their name, one option is send player a tell or something like that, click that, and it will say
/tell playername blahblah
so you can copy/paste playername blahblah into /blist.

For those shouting player names... remember to use quotes around the name.

/blist add "name lastname"
works.
/blist add name lastname
does not.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #522 on: October 02, 2013, 10:44:28 AM

I emailed them and complained and then I accused them of using gold spammers as a source of revenue and they might end up with more spammers than players.  They didn't respond.  My ignore list is filling up.  Soon I'll be ignoring over already ignored spammers.  Every time it fills up, I'll email the list to them.  I'm sure they'll appreciate my help.

It took forever for me to sort that out, too.  There was some news on the login screen about how they've started to sort this out.  I have no idea if it's working or not.  I logged in but things are usually much quieter in the daytime.  In fact, the whole time I was there, I didn't hear anyone say anything.  Makes me wonder if they just turned off chat altogether!   Ohhhhh, I see.

Okay, I was just playing for a bit and got hit by about four or five people shouting gold spams so fast I logged off instead /blist-ing them.  I could have just turned shout off but I was frustrated.   ACK!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 01:03:23 PM by Signe »

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #523 on: October 13, 2013, 08:04:40 AM

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #524 on: October 15, 2013, 03:51:08 AM

I know it's been a few years since I was last active in an MMO, but Mor Dohna on Faery make Barrens Chat look like a Nobel conference. I've had nothing but great experiences up to now, even with PUG dungeon groups, so it was rather an abrupt shock.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  
Jump to: