Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:19:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  (Read 382157 times)
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #420 on: September 17, 2013, 12:19:36 AM

I can't sit on my couch and use a keyboard and mouse, nor should I have too.

Sorry, there's no excuse for this unbelievably piece of idiocy. It is absolutely shit and stupid and deserves to be called out for it. If square aren't able to design a working game for both platforms they shouldn't release it on both platforms.

Having half your population running round essentially mute and deaf is utterly ridiculous. It will also absolutely harm the long term retention of the game.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #421 on: September 17, 2013, 01:34:29 AM

You can use a controller and just use a keyboard for communication as well. Obviously makes communicating in the heat of battle a little tough, but so far none of the boss fights I've seen are complicated enough to require more than a brief pre-fight explanation.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #422 on: September 17, 2013, 05:07:46 AM

Sorry, think I'm not being clear.

I'm not using a keyboard in my front room. It's completely impractical to be sat on my couch using a keyboard, and partly defeats the purpose of playing it on the console in the first place. I'm just annoyed because it seems an incredibly obvious flaw in the game that has been missed because square appear to be operating as if it were 2007.

But then I feel people are overlooking a ton of rubbish in the game just because its been a long time since a traditional, AAA MMO was released. The game has a nicely designed world and decent character graphics if you like that style, but in terms of gameplay and game design is a dinosaur well past extinction date.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #423 on: September 17, 2013, 07:59:34 AM

I really want to like this game, but I keep falling asleep within 20 minutes of starting to play.  I'm not cut out for this crap anymore.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #424 on: September 17, 2013, 08:49:48 AM

I really want to like this game, but I keep falling asleep within 20 minutes of starting to play.  I'm not cut out for this crap anymore.

I always used to wonder, during my MMO peak in my school days, what's up with these guys in their 40s with kids and (presumably?) jobs.  I simply couldn't be that hardcore anymore.  I don't have the time or the energy and I don't have any kids.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #425 on: September 17, 2013, 10:17:01 AM

I'm loving the game, but spending time playing is definitely taking its toll and I'm far behind the curve.

It is possible though. I had a nice guild in EQ2 that was based on being an adult with limited time. We kept to harsh schedules and accepted we weren't going to be doing any world firsts. We ran 7pm to 10pm twice a week. We'd log in and raid and log out. The problem is eventually someone's schedule changes and suddenly they want to poop sock. It finally fell apart when our GL/MT got a new job.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #426 on: September 17, 2013, 02:45:20 PM

I always used to wonder, during my MMO peak in my school days, what's up with these guys in their 40s with kids and (presumably?) jobs.  I simply couldn't be that hardcore anymore.  I don't have the time or the energy and I don't have any kids.

If you have kids in your 20s and don't go out partying because *parenting* you have energy to play games while the kid's asleep.  You're starting your career and so you might be working hard, but not necessarily ultra long hours unless you're a trying to advance quickly. 

Non-coincidentally, this means in your 40s the kids are out of the house or teens and want nothing to do with you.  Maybe they'll game along side you, most likely not.  Also, on the career-side you tend to be out of the 'killing myself working' positions or an executive who doesn't have the time for games at all.

The rough patch is then in your 30s. Kids in activities, career in the 'must advance' phases.  It's been my experience the high levels of the mmoverse are filled-out with mostly singles and non-parents in this age range.

All anecdotal, of course.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #427 on: September 17, 2013, 03:57:00 PM

Does FFXIV have raid lockout timers or anything?  Ive seen a number of guilds advertising for members to raid 5-7 nights a week
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #428 on: September 17, 2013, 06:29:49 PM

Does FFXIV have raid lockout timers or anything?  Ive seen a number of guilds advertising for members to raid 5-7 nights a week

There is something since there is a timer thing on the menu bar.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #429 on: September 17, 2013, 06:50:20 PM

Heh, I've been following this thread and looking forward to getting a digital download soon but these last few messages about fucking raiding have killed my desire to play.  I think I'm just done with MMOs.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #430 on: September 17, 2013, 07:04:07 PM

A better question is do you save your progress or are these really old school do them all in a night things.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #431 on: September 17, 2013, 07:08:53 PM

Real (24m) raids aren't in yet. There are 3 8m trials, which are single boss hard modes of Ifrit, Titan and Garuda, and 1 real 8 man dungeon, Coils of Bahamut. I'm not sure how long Coils is, but I don't believe it saves your progress.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #432 on: September 18, 2013, 12:56:20 PM

If you do your level 24 lancer quest while drinking a cup of lemon tea and teaching your kitty to speak words, you will die.  True story.  Srsly.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #433 on: September 18, 2013, 04:48:07 PM

If you have kids in your 20s and don't go out partying because *parenting* you have energy to play games while the kid's asleep.  You're starting your career and so you might be working hard, but not necessarily ultra long hours unless you're a trying to advance quickly. 

Non-coincidentally, this means in your 40s the kids are out of the house or teens and want nothing to do with you.  Maybe they'll game along side you, most likely not.  Also, on the career-side you tend to be out of the 'killing myself working' positions or an executive who doesn't have the time for games at all.

The rough patch is then in your 30s. Kids in activities, career in the 'must advance' phases.  It's been my experience the high levels of the mmoverse are filled-out with mostly singles and non-parents in this age range.

All anecdotal, of course.
Good points
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #434 on: September 18, 2013, 04:59:37 PM

I've read a page or two here and I think the obvious answer to several of these questions is JAPAN.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #435 on: September 19, 2013, 01:35:56 PM

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/63655-Translation-Japanese-to-English?p=1290186&viewfull=1#post1290186

Bunch of translated stuff from Yoshi-P.

I found this interesting:

Q: While the DutyFinder is going through the grouping, the DutyFinder itself seems like it’s taking longer to match, specially for DPS. First off, is it harder to match because of the grouping that was done this time for DutyFinder, or is that completely different story?

A: Yes, that’s completely different story.

Q: Okay, then why is this occurring?

A: Simply because there isn’t enough Tanks.

Q: I see Tanks huh, not Healers?

A: For Healers, there is the fact that you can obtain the Unicorn from Conjurer quest, and also since it’s Final Fantasy the image of White Mage is pretty strong. Since there are lots out there wanting to play White Mage in FFXIV, we have more Healers compared to other MMORPGs.
When looking from previous FFXIV’s viewpoint, we added a pet class called Arcanis, and one of the jobs from Arcanist is Scholar. Scholars are bit technical and it’s a job that wasn’t introduced until now, for that reason there are lots out there wanting to try out Scholar, so as a result we were able to dodge the lack of Healers.

Q: For Tanks, talking Final Fantasy, knights are pretty popular so you would think there would be enough, maybe the responsibility for knights in FFXIV ARR is heavy.

A: It was just as I predicted, in any MMO’s there is shortage on tanks. We’re looking into add a bonus for those roles we are short on in patch 2.1.

I wouldn't have expected that many healers, but it jives with how long my Scholar's queues take.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #436 on: September 19, 2013, 02:04:08 PM

That is probably because tanking is a god damn nightmare in this game. OK, maybe not a nightmare, but there is something very off with tanking, especially with gladiator. Marauder is much easier given the fact they have access to a nice selection of AoE hate generating abilities. Gladiators have flash until their AoE weaponskill. Flash doesn't quite cut it against healer aggro and is MP dependent on a class with a low MP pool to start with. It just doesn't play well with the amount of trash mob groups of 3 +roaming adds you might get. If they tweak healer enmity gains a bit, it might work out better, but right now if you lose aggro to the healer and reflash, those mobs that went after the healer will turn right back around on the first heal cast.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #437 on: September 19, 2013, 02:19:59 PM

MRDs have one AOE, a frontal cleave, until 45. Otherwise we have to use Flash just like GLD, except we have no way of regaining MP in battle unlike GLD. CC is pretty mandatory if you don't want to fight for aggro constantly. With a single sleep, focus one mob but tab onto a second every so often and throw a DoT or something; if one mob gets away the single target taunt usually pulls him back. Marking targets and making sure your DPS actually target the mark is very important. If you've got a BLM with the AoE sleep, tanking is a breeze. Avoiding roamers just comes down to knowing the dungeons; when in doubt, pull way back.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #438 on: September 19, 2013, 02:50:08 PM

That is probably because tanking is a god damn nightmare in this game.

Every game i guess because they are always what holds up queues.

I am the .00000001428%
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #439 on: September 19, 2013, 02:52:41 PM

Yes, it's a lot of responsibility being the tank.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #440 on: September 19, 2013, 03:08:02 PM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #441 on: September 21, 2013, 06:25:09 PM

Diabolos, Faerie and Ultros are not accepting new players.  Xanthippe is playing on Zalera.

...and no I'm not, I'm in a queue.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 06:29:27 PM by Xanthippe »
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #442 on: September 22, 2013, 06:21:13 AM

Well, if you like the game enough and when it becomes available, I'd be willing to transfer to a different server.  Let me know what you think.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #443 on: September 22, 2013, 07:25:28 AM

Well, if you like the game enough and when it becomes available, I'd be willing to transfer to a different server.  Let me know what you think.

Will do. Level 7 now, and it's fun, although the performance is not terrific - I don't know if it's my graphics card or that the beginning area is so freakin' crowded. It looks like just what I've been casting about for - something I can meander about in.

Managing the gold selling spammers is like a mini-game itself.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #444 on: September 22, 2013, 02:10:33 PM

I am confused about the class quest. I am level 14 and the quests I'm being offered are also, but I haven't yet completed the class quest. I thought it was level 10?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #445 on: September 22, 2013, 02:17:09 PM

The graphics engine performance on the PC is poor. There are MMORPGs with more advanced engines (e.g. UE3) that run better on the same GPU compared to FF XIV. You can run the FF XIV benchmark program to see where you are at performance-wise.

You get a class-specific quest every 5 levels. Those you get from the class guildmaster (or somebody else in that same room). The main storyline quests aren't gated by your completing your class quests, however.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #446 on: September 22, 2013, 02:40:30 PM

Considering how absolutely abysmally  FF14 1.0 ran, I was absolutely shocked when I ran the benchmarker and got pretty high scores on it, not to mention even more shocked when I got in-game and saw it running extremely well.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #447 on: September 22, 2013, 04:14:43 PM

The graphics engine performance on the PC is poor. There are MMORPGs with more advanced engines (e.g. UE3) that run better on the same GPU compared to FF XIV. You can run the FF XIV benchmark program to see where you are at performance-wise.

You get a class-specific quest every 5 levels. Those you get from the class guildmaster (or somebody else in that same room). The main storyline quests aren't gated by your completing your class quests, however.

The game has been running pretty smoothly for me and I haven't had any technical issues, yet.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #448 on: September 22, 2013, 05:54:30 PM

I haven't noticed a bit of lag even with 40+ people doing fates.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #449 on: September 22, 2013, 05:59:39 PM

I notice lag in very crowed cities around the blue glowy transport thingy.  As soon as I get clear, however, it runs just fine. 

zumu
Terracotta Army

Reply #450 on: September 22, 2013, 09:27:40 PM

Anyone find a class that requires lots of micro?

On my bard, all I do is stare at my bar waiting for procs and GCD.

I've read a page or two here and I think the obvious answer to several of these questions is JAPAN.

Also, lol, but sadly the truth.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #451 on: September 23, 2013, 01:20:38 AM

I'm not sure about "lots of micro", but Scholar's probably the most complex. Usage of several skills revolve around good use of Aetherflow stacks and you should also be manually placing your faerie pet so she can best serve the party. That's on top of the normal duties as a healer.

A lot of people who aren't already dedicated to the idea of being a SCH healer get into a party and find out how tough it is to play well and just switch to Summoner.
Stokowski
Terracotta Army

Reply #452 on: September 23, 2013, 05:07:03 AM

Is there much difference in performance from Beta to Release? My machine did far better than I expected when I ran the benchmarker, but damn near melted when I played a few hours of Beta.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #453 on: September 23, 2013, 09:38:26 AM

Thanks, Trippy. I was thinking it was that main storyline quest (with the squiggly border) but went back and did a lower level quest and there it was.

The performance problem I have is weird - when my character runs, she takes 2 or 3 normal steps and then the next step is slowed. Then back to normal, then slowed. It's strange, like lag, but I don't lag. It doesn't matter what resolution I put it on or whether it's windowed or full screen. I supposedly have an excellent connection.

There is certainly a great deal of running early on, especially until figuring out what those shards are for. (I'm a slow learner who often skips without reading). There's also a lot of cut scenes that I sometimes leave the room for. I'm becoming less and less interested in lore in games. Or maybe I just never cared much about FF lore anyway. I'm far more interested in game mechanics than lore, I guess.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #454 on: September 23, 2013, 10:31:27 AM

The Secret World lore is awesome fun to read.  FF14 lore is lore.  I'm with you.  I'm more interested in playing than reading in this one.  We game alike, Xanthi.  Combat with cool loot, fishing, mini-games, collections, surprises, outfits,  new holiday events... I find most of the lore in most of the games to be less interesting than the extras you get.  When I stop getting extras and the events become redundant, I tend to move on.  The thing I liked the most about EQ2 was the collections and I played Free Realms for ages because of the clothes and mini-games.  Unfortunately, there isn't a game where that sort of thing stays fresh and fun forever.

I NEED GLITTER AND SPARKLIES TO KEEP THE GAMES ALIVE!  :)

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  
Jump to: