Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:48:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  (Read 382204 times)
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #245 on: August 29, 2013, 02:43:19 PM

I've been trying to play with a friend but so far he hasn't been able to make a character on the server our guild is on.

Today I said, let's just make characters on a low population server and transfer to the guild server when they allow transfers.

It turns out every single NA and EU server is full and not accepting new characters. It might only be a prime time thing (or maybe not, I don't know) but right now it is impossible for anyone to make a new character, unless you want to play on a Japanese server.

I wanted to try some of the other classes but I couldn't even make another character on the same server (Exodus) that my 3 other characters are on.  So now I'm stuck waiting for the server to open up before I can play other classes...or jobs...or whatever the fuck they're called in this game.

Dunno if you know but once you get a character up to level 10, you can go and pick up other classes with it, so you might not need a new character. Still annoying though.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #246 on: August 29, 2013, 02:55:43 PM

I wanted to try some of the other classes but I couldn't even make another character on the same server (Exodus) that my 3 other characters are on.  So now I'm stuck waiting for the server to open up before I can play other classes...or jobs...or whatever the fuck they're called in this game.

Uh...you can change jobs/classes in-game at basically any time, you don't need alts unless you want different races. (For cosmetic reasons I guess?)

There's really no reason to have multiple characters.

Break out of your WoW programming, man! (Said in hippy voice) In all seriousness, it's a good feature of both XI and XIV. Making new characters to try other classes is kinda silly IMO.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 02:57:49 PM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: August 29, 2013, 04:15:50 PM

I've been trying to play with a friend but so far he hasn't been able to make a character on the server our guild is on.

Today I said, let's just make characters on a low population server and transfer to the guild server when they allow transfers.

It turns out every single NA and EU server is full and not accepting new characters. It might only be a prime time thing (or maybe not, I don't know) but right now it is impossible for anyone to make a new character, unless you want to play on a Japanese server.

I wanted to try some of the other classes but I couldn't even make another character on the same server (Exodus) that my 3 other characters are on.  So now I'm stuck waiting for the server to open up before I can play other classes...or jobs...or whatever the fuck they're called in this game.

Dunno if you know but once you get a character up to level 10, you can go and pick up other classes with it, so you might not need a new character. Still annoying though.

How do you do that?  Is there a limit to the number of classes you can learn?
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: August 29, 2013, 04:21:22 PM

Go to the class's guild, talk to the questgiver behind the counter. He'll give you a level 1 weapon and permission to be the class; changing class is as easy as changing weapon. There's no limit either, you can unlock and max out all the classes on 1 character.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: August 29, 2013, 05:31:49 PM

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/73680

On the night following the announcement of our plans to temporarily limit sales of the download version, A Realm Reborn recorded upwards of 218,000 concurrent connections.

5k concurrent per server is their limit.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #250 on: August 29, 2013, 07:47:30 PM

You do realize you can play every class and job with the same character, right?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: August 29, 2013, 08:36:34 PM

A little heads up that I just learned.  Each Grand Company has its own gear rewards based on class, so make sure and do research before you join the one that looks the coolest!  Oh, also I learned that tab targeting doesn't target the mob closest to you, it targets the mob most directly in front of you, even if its farther away lol. 
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #252 on: August 29, 2013, 09:21:23 PM

A little heads up that I just learned.  Each Grand Company has its own gear rewards based on class, so make sure and do research before you join the one that looks the coolest!  Oh, also I learned that tab targeting doesn't target the mob closest to you, it targets the mob most directly in front of you, even if its farther away lol. 

That data is outdated, all Grand Companies have loot for all classes now. Also, after hitting Second Lieutenant in a given faction, you can freely swap to another one and keep your progress.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: August 30, 2013, 03:01:28 AM

You can switch between the grand companies anyhow, that choice isn't permanent.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: August 30, 2013, 12:24:19 PM

Great, now its asking me for my registration code again in order to log in.  Then guess what happens?  It tells me that the code has already been used.  NO SHIT, FUCKERS!  Its not like I haven't been playing for a week now.  Fuck this game and this company. Absolute fucking clownshoes.

I got this fixed.  Apparently the code I was using the past week was the "pre-order" code and now they want you to use the code you received from wherever you bought it from (Greenman Gaming for me).  Its still fucking clownshoes and really makes me not want to buy anything for SE ever again.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 12:32:07 PM by Ginaz »
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: August 30, 2013, 02:25:05 PM

I really like how my now-22 Arcanist is coming along, looks-wise:

There have been rumors that a patch Soon™ will be bringing in cosmetic armor slots, so here's hoping for that.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #256 on: August 30, 2013, 02:34:30 PM

I wish I could get my bard some pants.

I've been wearing these assless chap lookin' things for ages.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: August 30, 2013, 02:37:52 PM

Both XI and XIV have great armor pieces. They are designed with taste and style rather than the pile on more shoulder pads approach, they appear made of actual material and they are very 3 dimensional. By that I mean they do a really good job of making the armor feel like bulky stuff with weight and solid construction, rather than just textures spray painted on to a shape.

Also the legless / assless look is a tradition! Google "subligar."

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: August 30, 2013, 02:45:05 PM

DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Edit: I do seriously like this about FFXI and XIV, though. Armor that is skimpy and embarrassing on women is equally so on men.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 02:46:59 PM by koro »
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #259 on: August 30, 2013, 02:51:39 PM

Both XI and XIV have great armor pieces. They are designed with taste and style rather than the pile on more shoulder pads approach, they appear made of actual material and they are very 3 dimensional. By that I mean they do a really good job of making the armor feel like bulky stuff with weight and solid construction, rather than just textures spray painted on to a shape.

Also the legless / assless look is a tradition! Google "subligar."

I agree.  I love the armour.  Quilted stuff actually looks quilted, leather looks like leather, etc. 

One thing I found out is that it doesn't automatically log out when you're idle too long.  Unfortunate, because I do that all the time.  My laptop gets way hot and I don't want to set the house on fire! 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: August 30, 2013, 03:06:17 PM

My little guy. He reminds me of George Clooney.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #261 on: August 30, 2013, 04:15:40 PM

He reminds me of the Munchkin coroner from the Wizard of Oz.  (the old one)

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: August 30, 2013, 05:00:36 PM

Reminds me of Al from FMA.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #263 on: August 30, 2013, 05:27:57 PM

That interface reminds me of dry anal rape.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: August 30, 2013, 05:29:31 PM

On that note, is there a command to hide the interface? Also, where are the screenshots saved?

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: August 30, 2013, 05:49:24 PM

Scroll lock hides the interface.
Ssath
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: August 31, 2013, 05:47:29 AM

Can you customize the interface at all? As in hide/unhide elements, resize, etc.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #267 on: August 31, 2013, 05:50:12 AM

Yea, there's a HUD Layout option in the main menu. To resize, select an element and hit Ctrl+Home. It has options for small, default, and large.

Ssath
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: August 31, 2013, 06:04:13 AM

Thanks! May have to check it out at some point. If there was no customization, it would have been a deal breaker.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #269 on: August 31, 2013, 07:25:45 AM

I made everything smaller.  I would have found it bothersome to play if it had to stay that size.  I think there's even a larger size for old eyes.  It was SO big!  I wish I could make the chat box smaller, too, but I don't think you can.  The smallest text is 12, too, which is too big for me.  I find the chat box rather intrusive. 

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: August 31, 2013, 07:25:56 AM

Back on the multiclassing thing, anyone who is playing and hasn't looked in to this should do so. The game doesn't just let you switch classes, it also lets you unlock "jobs" - what you might think of as prestige classes - by leveling up certain combinations.

For example, leveling up archer to 30 and pugilist to 15 on the same character allows you to become a bard.

There's a guide here: http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Category:Jobs
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #271 on: August 31, 2013, 02:43:06 PM

DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Edit: I do seriously like this about FFXI and XIV, though. Armor that is skimpy and embarrassing on women is equally so on men.

ahahaha, awesome  Heart

I still don't want to play this game at all, but it does get a thumbs up for equal opportunity "wtf, how does that outfit even work in battle" armor.

God Save the Horn Players
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #272 on: August 31, 2013, 03:23:09 PM

It's fun, Sjofn, but I wouldn't sub until this whole log in mess is over.  They say next week but I've heard that before.  I hate it when I buy a sub and can't log in and play when I like.  I feel cheated.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: September 01, 2013, 07:02:43 AM

The cutscene when you turn in the Tam-Tara dungeon quest is well worth watching.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: September 01, 2013, 08:44:17 AM

Does leveling other classes actually increase your power apart from allowing you to switch to a different class?  Is it like D&D multiclassing, like EQNext "you can use powers from other classes", or just your basic "leveling an alt that looks like your main char".

I am the .00000001428%
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: September 01, 2013, 08:54:53 AM

You can use abilities from other classes, but not all of them. If you go to traits and abilities and hover over one, it will have a list of "affinities" and those are the classes who can borrow that ability. Usually casters can grab caster stuff, but not weapon stuff and vice versa.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: September 01, 2013, 09:01:35 AM

This seems to be a good guide to scross class skills: http://eorzeareborn.com/a-guide-to-classes-in-ffxivarr/
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #277 on: September 01, 2013, 09:11:03 AM

Also jobs (which are like specialized classes and typically more group-oriented) require you to have two classes.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #278 on: September 01, 2013, 09:50:03 AM

I just put together a brand new PC and was hoping to test this on it, but the digital download is shut off and there are no retail copies anywhere!  I'll go back to being too busy after tomorrow, but it would have been fun to snag a copy to check out.  It looks like very few retail stores are carrying PC copies, but I can go to Target and buy the PS3 version.  Durrr.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: September 01, 2013, 10:14:03 AM

I don't think you can make a character on a NA/EU server at this point anyway, so you would have been stuck on a JPN server.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  
Jump to: