Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 12:16:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 0 Members and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 46 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.  (Read 361319 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #735 on: November 29, 2013, 12:52:11 PM

I just got up to the Thor episode. Actually thought it was fine. It helps that Skye is getting less airtime, Fitz, Simmons, abd May all getting more.

The continuous incongruent references to Coulson's death are still annoying me.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #736 on: November 30, 2013, 10:52:42 AM

Try being a Bioware fan. People spent 3 years shitting up the SWTOR thread who never had any intention of playing the game.

Late but I can't think of a worse example. There may have never  been more well earned shitposting than the SWTOR thread where any suggestion that the game looked like shitty refried WoW was met with a whole mess of bullshit fanboi denial.

The game is and was utter shit. If anything there should have been a thread where all of you were forced to apologize.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #737 on: November 30, 2013, 01:37:20 PM

Oh shut the fuck up.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #738 on: November 30, 2013, 01:42:41 PM

The douchebaggery in this thread is approaching legendary status.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #739 on: November 30, 2013, 04:33:04 PM

Oh shut the fuck up.

Are you vexed fellow?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #740 on: December 01, 2013, 03:28:25 AM

Oh shut the fuck up.
Nice to see such a well-reasoned and comprehensive argument.

(Also I was right about SWTOR all along  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? )

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #741 on: December 01, 2013, 01:53:49 PM

If Hoax can't bathe in some twitch-newb-pvp tears then the game will always be shitty refried shit.  Haven't you guys figured this out by now?   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #742 on: December 01, 2013, 02:26:05 PM

Jesus, is that shit going to infect this thread too?  It's reached herpes level of viral transfer.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #743 on: December 01, 2013, 02:58:01 PM

I'd like to thank Hoax and Simond for proving my point.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #744 on: December 01, 2013, 03:35:20 PM

Well, that's enough of this shit.

They pulled the Chandler/Monica surprise hookup bullshit like four seasons sooner than they should have. But that wasn't the problem. It was, again, the dialog. God, it was like all those stupid preview voiceovers that literally come out and say "see the episode everyone will be talking about the next day". Such desperate writing to try and form opinion.

"You know we better employ [some stock counterespionage tactics] so that the others don't find out".

Terrible.

I've been on the fence with the show anyway. Kinda like when you reach a wall in an MMO when you begin to wonder if you're having any fun and then get disconned halfway through some special event, or ganked, or some other thing event. That becomes the catalyst to look back over the prior weeks to ask yourself if you've really been having fun or just going through the motions.

Turns out I've been going through the motions.

Hoax can have all my stuff.

Edit: stepped off ledge.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 03:40:41 PM by Darniaq »
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #745 on: December 01, 2013, 05:01:03 PM

The writing is terrible. As I said before, I don't think the show actually has writers - it has producers.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #746 on: December 01, 2013, 05:45:24 PM

I haven't been watching for the last four episodes, but I think the general reaction verifies that take. The Marvel franchise has been marked by a certain level of methodical caution (though going with a Guardians of the Galaxy movie next isn't exactly the straight play) but this show has really been brought down by overcalculation and timidity. I don't understand why it isn't a bit more crazy, a bit less controlled, a bit more fun--or maybe far more than a bit on all of those.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #747 on: December 01, 2013, 07:38:09 PM

Wait - you're commenting on the current problems of a show you have not seen in a month? Head scratch  You guys are hilarious. 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #748 on: December 02, 2013, 03:25:43 AM

Oh, so you think in the last four episodes everything that concerned me about all the previous ones just went away? It now IS more crazy, more fun, less controlled?
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #749 on: December 02, 2013, 07:12:29 AM

Oh, so you think in the last four episodes everything that concerned me about all the previous ones just went away? It now IS more crazy, more fun, less controlled?
You were commenting on the problems of episodes you have not seen. Consider the implications for yourself.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #750 on: December 02, 2013, 07:58:51 AM

People *all the time* (not just here) say, "So this is when I stopped watching this particular show, I didn't like the following things about it, I gather that nothing has changed". Which is an opportunity for someone who likes the show in question, "Yeah, you're right, it hasn't changed--if you didn't like it then, you're not going to like it now" or to say, "I hear you, but in fact, the specific things you didn't like have in fact changed recently, give it another shot."

This is a perfectly normal kind of conversation about popular culture. A lot of the time folks actually have a pretty good sense of what's going on with programs they don't even watch. There's a researcher who works on TV and popular culture who actually studies what he calls paratextual awareness--the information that we pick up about things that we're kind of interested in but not actively watching--and a lot of his research shows that many people have very high paratextual knowledge, and have even indirectly watched or consumed many small bits or fragments of a given program or movie over the years. Time is the most precious commodity when it comes to culture, much more so than money, so people are constantly trying to figure out: what's worth my time? Is this the program I want it to be? Can it become that program? How much of it do I need to watch to follow what's going on later? Does it pay off if I watch each and every episode in sequence?

Saying, "If you haven't watched every single second with the devotion that I have watched, you are unworthy to have any opinion" is a classic kind of fan-devotion maneuver. I am not saying that I have a specific opinion about how Skye was portrayed in the last episode. I am saying: this is why I gave up and it sounds like nothing's changed. If you think otherwise, persuade me.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #751 on: December 02, 2013, 08:46:49 AM

Please don't put words in my mouth... and you're missing my point. 

If you think about what you just said, you're actually reinforcing my point.  Many people (including you, I assume) have high 'paratextual knowledge' (aka heresay or second hand information) relating to this show.  Time is a precious commodity...

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #752 on: December 02, 2013, 09:38:42 AM

The writing is terrible. As I said before, I don't think the show actually has writers - it has producers.

Do you guys finally believe me that Joss has no real creative control over this show?  Like I said, corporate nepo-stench... all over this IP.   Disney, Marvel, network TV + Whedon-family = fail.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #753 on: December 02, 2013, 10:05:56 AM

Do you guys finally believe me that Joss has no real creative control over this show?  Like I said, corporate nepo-stench... all over this IP.   Disney, Marvel, network TV + Whedon-family = fail.
At least one story acknowldges his involvement with the show has been reduced as Avengers related tasks have been on the rise.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #754 on: December 03, 2013, 12:30:47 PM

I think some folks hate-watch TV.  They hate the show, watch it, then rush to post their disgust.  Then set their DVR's for next week.  Maybe they want the show to be something it's not.  So they are disappointed. 

I do that to movies.  why so serious?

Very happy Rage guy from the first episode will be returning but this show still lacks a lot. Without Coulsen or May, this show would be utterly unwatchable most episodes.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #755 on: December 03, 2013, 01:34:38 PM

I feel like I've said this elsewhere, but I tend to think of this show as CSI: Marvel.  Once you put it in the right frame of reference, it's not so bad.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #756 on: December 03, 2013, 02:31:41 PM

Now that you say that it dawned on me that the structure is very similar to Criminal Minds.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #757 on: December 04, 2013, 09:51:36 AM

I feel like I've said this elsewhere, but I tend to think of this show as CSI: Marvel.  Once you put it in the right frame of reference, it's not so bad.

It might be "not so bad" but it's definitely not as good as those other shows that use the CSI methodology (like Almost Human, who actually has/had CSI people writing the scripts).

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #758 on: December 04, 2013, 10:42:25 AM

I think I'd be happier if they took the same show and removed all the Marvel/comic book superhero aspects from it. It would still be bad, but I think it would be better.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #759 on: December 04, 2013, 11:17:34 AM

Why the fuck keep watching and complaining about a show you hate?  I really don't get it.

When people are invested in a genre, theme, or license they particularly enjoy, it evokes a lot of reasonable frustration when shitty writers or incompetent executives in a system of perverse incentives are squandering or throwing away an opportunity (possibly one-time) for that genre, theme, ip.

Human beings in particular are noted for their odd propensity to express frustration when things they want to like are bad.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #760 on: December 04, 2013, 11:20:34 AM

This is how you know a show is bad: when you get to the end, you see a preview for next week, you think "wow, finally, this next episode looks cool", then you realize you just watched a Verizon commercial.

This episode was almost purely a character development episode, but the development came mostly in the form of expository conversations. At some points it almost felt like parody - telling instead of showing taken to extremes. And in the end what they revealed was what anyone would have guessed - just generic "we were on a mission and things went South - she had to do horrible things - when we got out she had changed" tripe.

The fact that this was the backstory they were teasing and that this was the way they chose to reveal it is just...I don't know. It made me go look up the writing credits. This episode was written by Joss's brother and sister and law. Curiously almost every other episode writing credit belongs to someone also listed as a producer or executive producer. I'm starting to think that maybe the show doesn't actually have writers, and it's all producers / Whedon family members writing the episodes. That would explain a lot.

best post in the thread imo. Gonna switch over to watching Floor Staff of V.E.R.I.Z.O.N.
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #761 on: December 04, 2013, 08:20:02 PM

There wasn't a new episode this week, was there?

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #762 on: December 04, 2013, 08:54:52 PM

This is the commercial in question BTW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MjgO3eKPe0

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #763 on: December 04, 2013, 09:27:00 PM

There wasn't a new episode this week, was there?
No, it was a repeat.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #764 on: December 04, 2013, 10:30:58 PM

I'd watch it.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #765 on: December 08, 2013, 04:52:51 PM

This is the commercial in question BTW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MjgO3eKPe0

To be fair those ads are really good and Norton is a talent. I mean I know playing high stakes 4-square with Russians while talking about Ferrets shouldn't be the type of thing that gets me every time...

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #766 on: December 10, 2013, 08:09:52 AM

FWIW: Upcoming episodes reportedly more in the Marvel Direction according to the EP...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=49593

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #767 on: December 11, 2013, 06:22:30 PM

I liked the latest episode.  A good story, some good character moments and a twist or two freshened the show up.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #768 on: December 11, 2013, 06:42:46 PM

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #769 on: December 11, 2013, 06:48:24 PM

Over and out.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 46 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.  
Jump to: