Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:57:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Almost Human 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Almost Human  (Read 41116 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #35 on: November 20, 2013, 09:45:44 AM

Haemish, having scriptwriting urges?  This is the show for you no?

I've dabbled with a screenplay for my first novel, and I've got somethings in the fire I haven't announced yet.

But yes, this would be the show I could easily write for.  awesome, for real

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #36 on: November 20, 2013, 11:13:17 AM

Do you mean the one who was really inappropriately dressed for being a police officer?  The one that the main dude who's name I can't remember offhand apparently likes?  Also, why is the stereotypically socially inept science geek kept in what looks like a dungeon?

Yes, that's the one.  I never saw Friday Night Lights so I didn't know where she was from.  I also never remember where tv actors are from.  The geek is Gareth.  I love Gareth.  He was my favourite character from the first "The Office".  I can imagine him in a dungeon.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: November 20, 2013, 11:56:40 AM

As a tech worker currently in working in a similiar dungeon I have to say it is probably accurate. Tech workers often get stuck where ever there is space and higher ups are unlikely to wander into I don't see 40 years in the future changing that.
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: November 20, 2013, 12:11:42 PM

Gareth is awesome, and he was one of the best characters in those Pirates of the Carribean movies.  So I'm glad he's on the show.

Karl Urban on the other hand did his best work with his non-speaking role in that Bourne movie.  So the casting is all over the place.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: November 20, 2013, 02:10:01 PM

Really? I thought he was great at McCoy and Dredd and Eomer.  Actually haven't disliked him in anything yet.  He does the 'noble yet world weary' type well.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #40 on: November 20, 2013, 02:13:53 PM

Yeah and his built-in scowl works well for this role too.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: November 20, 2013, 04:46:18 PM

Really, all he's doing is channeling his inner Dredd - he succeeded.  I thought Dredd was very good btw.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #42 on: November 20, 2013, 04:57:06 PM

I liked the first episode, still have to watch the second one. Yeah, I too fear that everything might get too predictable and full of stereotypes, we'l see. Oh, and I really liked some of the background ambient tunes, they often often had a nice Deus Ex vibe  Heart

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: November 20, 2013, 06:14:04 PM

Watched the first episode and while I wasn't BLOWN AWAY ZOMG, it was a very solid episode especially for a pilot. The two main characters seem to have found their footing in their roles very early and the tech was well-done. The tech was also very understated which I love - the writers didn't feel the need to hit you over the head with technobabble explanations that will get lost on non-sci fi geeks quickly.

Just finished watching the first episode. I completely agree with everything Haemish said. As someone else said, there are the usual buddy cop dramas with the Alien Nation-style angle and the I, Human love-it/hate-it relationship with technology. But all of it seems handled with a nice balance, without going into the LaForge nor anti-intellectual fringe ends of the spectrum.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: November 21, 2013, 03:59:14 PM

Just finished watching the second episode: really liked it. You know, I'm also a fan of Person of Interest; beside the whole "Machine" business, IMO that show works because every episode has a very good flow and, most importantly, there's chemistry between the actors, something that I'm starting to see between the two cops and the geek tech guy. So far, yes, "balanced" and entertaining at the same time.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: November 21, 2013, 06:15:48 PM

Just finished the second episode as well. Kinda didn't like the overt sexual stuff at first, kneejerking into bottomfeeding viewership grabbing of their obvious target demographic. But in the context of the setting, it makes sense. Long precedent set by permissive societies in sci-fi settings. Not everyone goes all prude like The Next Generation smiley

I really like nuMcCoy for this role too. He pulls off kinda tough guy with a heart well, and I like that they quickly got past his anti-Android sentiment to get quickly to buddy-cop-with-a-quirk.

The writing is pretty good, but it's the story developers who seem to have been let loose.

I like it enough that I'm actually worried it'll be cancelled. Usually I don't care that much.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: November 21, 2013, 07:13:53 PM

"Don't ever scan my testicles again"  is possibly the best line I've heard on network tv ever.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: November 22, 2013, 12:58:19 AM

Yeah, that was fun, also the whole discussion about children and cats  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: November 22, 2013, 02:42:51 AM

It's a sci-fi show on Fox, enjoy it while it lasts.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: November 22, 2013, 02:58:02 AM

Ratings:

1x01 -  9.18 mil viewers (3.1)
1x02 -  6.76 mil viewers (2.3)

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: November 22, 2013, 03:03:16 AM

Don't think we get this yet.  :(

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #51 on: November 22, 2013, 07:40:05 AM

Ratings:

1x01 -  9.18 mil viewers (3.1)
1x02 -  6.76 mil viewers (2.3)
To be expected since the pilot was after a football game and the 2nd episode was up against Dancing With The Stars and The Voice. The 2nd episode also did slightly better than Bones was doing at that spot so FOX will likely keep it there as long as it does comparable or better numbers,
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #52 on: November 22, 2013, 09:55:11 AM

Don't think we get this yet.  :(

I just read something a few days ago(forget where, sorry) and remember that this was one of the programs that hasn't been picked up yet in the UK.  I'm sure it probably will eventually.  It's pretty well made (even if I do find it predictable and the robot overly sensitive) and there's some very funny dialog.  I like the main character the most.  I liked him Red and Dredd, too.  I think he mostly makes films that rhythm.  I watch this and it's entertaining but I still think it could be lots better.  I need surprises!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: November 22, 2013, 10:21:32 AM

I'm ok with the android being overly sensitive because his emotions are artificially created, if his personality had zero quirks it would feel odd to me.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: November 23, 2013, 12:37:40 PM

Just watched the first two episodes with my wife, both enjoyed it very much.  So I fully expect it to be canceled soon.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #55 on: November 24, 2013, 12:02:35 PM

Watched second episode, digging the chemistry between the two leads. Again, they do a really good job of not making the tech seem strange to the characters who live with it every day. Also, Minka Kelly is HAWT.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: November 24, 2013, 03:48:40 PM

Honestly, the entire cast is knocking it out of the park (even the MX droids, sexbots, etc.) and the production crew is giving them almost exactly what they need to do it (ex. Minka being hawt w/o needing to be).  If Monday's epi. holds to form then I daresay we can call this a trend.

They need to change the scheduling badly though.  Going against MNF and <insert dumbfuck competition reality show here> is not very wise.

I also still need to see more augments.  Rippers, deckers, tweakers, and the like.  Also, they need to give the cops more tech. to use aside from bots.  Obviously, if they've got androids to help them, then it's logical to surmise they have quite a bit more then just a laser-sighted pistol to play with.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #57 on: November 24, 2013, 04:32:54 PM

Monday's are fine. Bones was there for a few seasons and like I said above as long as the show can pull comparable numbers they'll keep it there. Tuesday's will be the new comedy block midseason (Glee plus 2 30 min comedy shows) and American Idol will be Wednesday and Thursday (currently taken up by X-Factor). So basically the only two days to schedule Almost Human are Monday's and Friday's and you don't want it to be on Friday's.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 04:35:09 PM by Trippy »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: November 25, 2013, 09:05:03 AM

THis show is pretty good. Just watched the first two eps this weekend. Will keep it on the DVR.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #59 on: November 25, 2013, 09:16:35 PM

Third ep was as solid as the first two. Don't fuck this up, Fox.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: November 25, 2013, 11:40:34 PM

This show actually annoys me because there are parts that I really like but there are also parts that are exceedingly dumb.  Overall it's not bad but it could be so much better without the dumb parts.

Over and out.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #61 on: November 26, 2013, 12:13:05 AM

--Signature Unclear
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: November 26, 2013, 12:21:34 AM

Over and out.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #63 on: November 26, 2013, 12:32:13 AM

--Signature Unclear
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: November 26, 2013, 06:36:31 AM

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: November 26, 2013, 09:04:22 AM

This.
Another awesome epi really, but I'm partial to "tower crawls" ("The Raid," etc.)  

I'm starting to think this is likely one of the best acting duos on network TV.  It's shaping up that well.  Also, thank GODS Abrams finally gives us an episodic-procedural show, rather then some horrible serial.  The cops have a task, they solve it, and there's a hopeful reward at the end.  Beautiful simplicity especially when this well writ.

Also, this last epi. (and the show as a whole) has some nice twists that weren't obvious, which was a breath of fresh air...  and cliche's in general seem minimized.

I'll take back my last statement about the show not utilizing tech. enough with the cops, because evidently a premise of the show is "the cops are behind the times."  In this timeline they really dont have access to all the crazy shit the private sector is experimenting with, hence their best hope is the 'droids.  Supposedly, the show is partially about that struggle and why we see ebil tech. like in epi. 3 and once again the cops only have their wits to deal with it really.  This is contrary to the neuromancer/cyberpunk vision unfortunately, wherein the cops and soldiers have some of the most badass tech. available; though not very fringe and not overtly inhuman.

Did I mention this is partially an Abrams show??  Yah like, who knew.  I almost don't want to watch it now.  Almost.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 09:06:23 AM by Ghambit »

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: November 26, 2013, 09:47:29 AM

Go back and watch the first few episodes of Fringe.  Each episode stood alone.  Over time that show evolved into the season long story arcs... and I think that will happen here, too.  Somewhere around the middle of this season we'll get an episode focused on the ex-girlfriend... and that will begin the transition from episodic TV to season arc TV.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: November 26, 2013, 11:12:39 AM

Wut?  Uhh no, Fringe was completely serial from the get-go.  Sure, there were episodic things that happened during the show, but each epi. still had an overarching theme/mystery that didnt get solved till way later (uhh Peter?  Olivia's powers? and on and on).  Hell, even the Fringe events themselves played a roll in the long run - which was the whole point of the show.  As Fringe as they were, they weren't... and after each epi. you were still left wanting, which was one of the drawbacks of the show imo.

Almost Human leaves you fulfilled at the end.  It has a very 'Leverage' feel about it.  Fringe had none of that.  Regardless, AH has been penned procedural by its creators, not serial.  Which may or may not be its undoing, dunno.  I've come to believe that geeks prefer episodic shows rather than serial, but network TV is not very good at committing to that kind of design, so you may be right and we'll end up getting a seasonal arc.

Really though, they do not need to do seasonal arc.  They need to dig way deeper into the genre first, then MAYBE start adding in these socio-political/corporate groups (which we've kinda already got I guess, but not distractingly so)

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: November 26, 2013, 11:17:40 AM

TIn Fringe the arc stuff was seeds at the start.  They have seeds in Almost Human.  His GF, the Android/human relationship, etc...  They were more pronounced in Fringe, perhaps (although the Observers were in the background in several episodes before being noted by anyone), but I believe we'll see the same pattern with clear season arc storylines developed during this season and clearer season arcs for every following season.

And I again remind you to return to the first season of Fringe.  Most episodes were monster of the week stories with a little arc mixed into it.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: November 26, 2013, 12:05:11 PM

Third episode was great.  Ripping off die hard is always a plus.  Man i hope the ratings are at least good enough for Fox to keep this going, just let me keep this one sci fi show that isn't all about family pleeease.

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Almost Human  
Jump to: