Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:24:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Starbound (I can't believe it's not Terraria 2) is coming! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Starbound (I can't believe it's not Terraria 2) is coming!  (Read 36360 times)
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: November 30, 2013, 10:36:51 AM

This may be petty, but can the title of this thread be changed?  Redigit has announced Terraria 2, and this isn't it.
jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: December 04, 2013, 11:18:47 AM

Beta arrives on Wednesday, Dec 4.

It was just added to Steam Early Access. Activated my Humble pre-order Steam key and it's downloading now.  awesome, for real
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #37 on: December 04, 2013, 02:25:17 PM

Can't find a plant fiber to make a bow!
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: December 04, 2013, 03:32:17 PM

Tree roots.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: December 04, 2013, 04:39:49 PM

Yeah, I had tried that and it was taking forever.

I like this so far, we'll see how long before they annoy me with teh platforming, I think it was the guys who could fire through walls or the ones who could move behind walls that got me in Terraria.

I'm on some world with eyeball trees. First chest gave me a fire spear, which is pretty nifty. Found a schematic for an eye table, which seems world specific. Also found a fortress but going to need some armor to deal with that. Killed a couple dudes with my spear but one guy almost one-shot me.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: December 04, 2013, 05:24:14 PM

So... Darkout, Starbound, Edge of Space... Any opinions on what does what best?

Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: December 04, 2013, 06:12:53 PM

Cannot customize controls in Starbound.  =( =( 

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: December 04, 2013, 06:42:44 PM

Hmm, really liking this so far.  Probably going to give it to a few people for Christmas if the devs can get some of the jank out.

My cool little robot knight guy is having an ungodly difficult time finding coal, though.  Need coal for torches, need torches to light up areas to look for coal...

Do monsters not drop meat unless they're killed with the bow?  They all rush me, so I'd prefer the sword, but they never seem to leave anything unless I use the bow.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: December 04, 2013, 07:09:03 PM

Yeah, it's a 'hunting bow' not a regular weapon. You can whittle mobs down with your weapon and finish them with a bow and they'll drop meat. Or just plant some veg instead.

I used my first batch of torches to mine the nearest rock tunnel that had some ores in it, plenty of coal in there as well.

It's basically an improved Terraria. As far as no key bindings, it's been in beta less than a day undecided I do want to remap inventory to E so badly, though. Minecraft reflexes.
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: December 04, 2013, 08:04:05 PM

Hunger Meter =(

And custom controls may not be a big deal for most, but I cannot play with wasd.  At all. 

Moar waiting! 
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: December 04, 2013, 08:55:44 PM

Love the racial-based flavor text. I'm playing Apex and inspecting bananas of course revels in the greatness of bananas. Inspect wheat and it says something like 'terrible but can be used to make banana bread!'
Bhazrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: December 05, 2013, 01:29:40 AM

Uh so, yeah, if you're following the tutorial quests, you might want to hold off on the distress beacon one. Or at least, hold off using it for a while...
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: December 05, 2013, 07:40:37 AM

It does warn you to wait until you're ready.

I see some complaints about difficulty, and I don't really have a problem with it, though I hope the better armors are...better. Copper is basically the same as the starter clothes.

My main gripe is that you lose pixels when death is pretty quick, and pixel gain is pretty slow. I was doing ok for a while but once I got decent enough gear to start exploring the massive dungeon near my starter pad, I'm broke. Kind of seems backward to explore the dungeon and lose money!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 07:43:36 AM by Sky »
Bhazrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: December 05, 2013, 12:25:16 PM

I saw the warning, figured being geared up crafted iron armour/weapon meant I stood a chance at whatever came. I mean, it was a simple tutorial quest, and that Iron gear took me a while to get :P

Apparently I had crap luck at finding random loot though, only chest I found had a golden flashlight in it with some iron bars.

It's fun, will start over as some other race this time.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: December 05, 2013, 12:52:23 PM

Someone mentioned starving to death.  Is that really a thing?
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: December 05, 2013, 01:33:20 PM

Someone mentioned starving to death.  Is that really a thing?

I think it's possible, I died once to something that was either starvation or some kind of incredibly sudden fog bank obscuring everything which I haven't seen since.

It's rare for me to see it, though, compared to, say, being torn limb from limb by monsters.  Plus, every time you die your hunger meter gets reset to full.  It just means you need to bring a lunch if you're making a really deep mining trip.

I am finding a ton of loose gravel/sand in this game, it's making things kind of interesting.  Got to be really careful where you walk, or you can cause a cave in.

Edit: is there a way to grow trees?  I'm running low on wood...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 01:36:15 PM by Kail »
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: December 05, 2013, 02:08:09 PM

All of this is making me reconsider my "don't buy betas" stance.

Thanks.  Appreciate it.   awesome, for real

Bhazrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: December 05, 2013, 02:20:43 PM

The screen getting foggy is related to a light meter you have. If you're not in/around light for however long, your screen goes foggy and you die. I guess it's a sanity or solar related thing? I don't really know, but you can fill it up by any light source really, standing next to torches being the slowest I believe.

No clue on the trees regrowing.
Reborne
Terracotta Army

something something plays a shitload of Blood Bowl something something

Reply #53 on: December 05, 2013, 02:57:48 PM

Hosted a server for my friends last night and having more people in the game adds a fun dimension to the game early on.

When you have more people on the one server you can form groups.
You can teleport to the ships of anyone in your group and then beam down to their planet, so you can explore places before you can fuel your own ship.
You can also beam to their ship from anywhere, including places that are too deep to get to your own ship.

Each race starts out with seeds for different plants, so I've swapped with my friends and now I'm growing around 6 different plants.
This is a handy way of being able to make things that are more than just bread.

Scan seeds into your 3D Printer on your ship, it's free and only costs 1 pixel to make another.

Upgrade your bow as soon as possible.
The iron bow will kill most creatures early on in 1 hit, which makes getting meat so much easier.

Sadly, I haven't found a way to get more trees.
But each planet has lots of them and if you join a multiplayer server your starting planet isn't the same as your single player planet, unless you're hosting because it uses your universe.

Has anyone found a use for leather?

"We apologise for the inconvenience" - God's Final Message to His Creation.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: December 05, 2013, 03:23:51 PM

The screen getting foggy is related to a light meter you have. If you're not in/around light for however long, your screen goes foggy and you die. I guess it's a sanity or solar related thing? I don't really know, but you can fill it up by any light source really, standing next to torches being the slowest I believe.

I thought that was a heat meter.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #55 on: December 05, 2013, 03:27:21 PM

Yeah, that's a 'warmth' meter. The devs are pretty active on the subreddit and are redesigning it in the next update coming tonight:

Amongst other things. http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/1s620n/some_of_the_changes_coming_tonight/

I was reading about people running into bugs on the 34th tier of metals. Silver ore is tier 4. This game has a massive amount of unique art content.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Reborne
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: December 05, 2013, 03:48:23 PM

Some races are solar powered.
At least the robots and plants are, others may be too.
They also get a light bar that when it gets low causes the fog and death.

Not sure if there are similar things for other races.

Bhazrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: December 05, 2013, 05:18:49 PM

Ah okay, that makes more sense. I was playing an apex and figured he was scared of the dark or something.

On another note, I'm in love with the game's music.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: December 05, 2013, 06:50:59 PM

Great tip on the 3d printer, I'm not getting extra banana seeds from plants but I'm getting quite the wheat farm going...more bananas means banana bread. Deep fried bananas is pretty good health regen buff but doesn't seem to count as food.

One thing about the iron bow, though it's nice for popping stuff at a distance, as I was saying earlier, it's a tool not a weapon per se. So you'll get meat drops instead of pixels, which can get kind of brutal when combined with pixel loss on death.

Tree planting - not in yet?

Nice set of patch tweaks though.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: December 05, 2013, 11:39:59 PM

I was off a ways exploring my home/starter planet and clear cutting trees and figured...let's see how space travel works. Only cost me 1 fuel (=1 log) to go to the other moon orbiting the gas giant, but it was so dark my poor monkey got askeered. So I quickly poked around, planted enough torches so he could last 20 seconds or so, and looked at my astrogation chart.

My system is empty, but the next over has tons of planets, so I hone in on a level 1 planet and fly over....burning most of my fuel. I had enough logs to get home, but I'd be low on them for building because I've chopped so many down at home. Luckily, the new planet has a (very) few really large trees, so I should come out ok. Also some cool tech bases so I nabbed a bunch of sci fi lamps, doors and chests that will look funny back home.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: December 06, 2013, 08:38:56 AM

On some planets, I think Arid - whatever ones have Bones near the surface, if you go deep enough there are cave weeds (for a lack of a better term) that drop wood.

The spikey things that injure you and you can't kill with weapons - those things will drop wood on some world.

I'm constantly at 200/200 wood/ore from whacking those guys and clearcutting.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: December 07, 2013, 08:39:25 PM

I have a couple guitars, a harmonica and a banjo. Looking at the music interface, looks like it's set up for a multiplayer band.

Trying not to spoiler the exploration parts too much, but I've already found a bunch of cool stuff.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #62 on: December 07, 2013, 08:53:47 PM

I've found a set of drums, an ocarina, harmonica and a mic. Oh and we looted a piano.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: December 07, 2013, 11:02:16 PM

Finally got around to trying the UFO, you'll definitely want something with 10 armor piercing. My crafted sword was still the fastest and best for general usage but could barely dent it. I decided to try because I had just looted a decent high damage 10 AP 2h sword, common but hit like a truck. It was good enough to whittle the UFO down.

And bam, unlocked the next tier of stuff. Now to decide whether to farm some level 10 planets for loot or set up a level 11 base in beta sector...Wish bosses were a bit more easier to find, coded into bases or something.

I wonder if they'll be nerfing the new not-Rebel_Hoth_soldier armor they patched in last night...13 is good armor for tier 1 and makes the push for the tier 2 15 armor look like a slog.
Reborne
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: December 08, 2013, 04:04:16 AM

So, it looks like I was completely wrong about the solar power thing, it was warmth.
Since everything that gives off light, gives off heat, it was a sun icon and it only ever came up at night, it made a lot more sense to be a solar powered robot than one that worries about being cold at night.

Also the 3D printing of seeds seems to have been taken out, though you can still scan them in, I no longer know where to make them.
Some things that you can in are destroyed and now end up in your crafting menus.

Finding large forest worlds will keep you in wood for a long time.
I raided a friend's world and after an hour of chopping I had over 5,000 and still hadn't made it all the way around.

Yes, you can circumnavigate planets.

Next patch will have a character wipe and revamp the entire armour and penetration system.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: December 08, 2013, 09:31:17 AM

Hold shift to place or mine single blocks.
Repair the pick by holding an ore and right clicking the pick.

I hope printing seeds goes back in, I have a couple singles I'd like to quickly develop (sugar!).
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #66 on: December 08, 2013, 10:00:41 AM

Arg, you people are making me want this now.  Any other people want to chip in to get a 4 pack together?

Unless of course there is a chance of it being on sale during the winter break, but I doubt it.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: December 08, 2013, 10:37:26 AM

Bought this for myself and the GF. So good, and the server works too unlike Terraria.
Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: December 08, 2013, 10:51:00 AM

According to steam, I've got 16 hours in this. I believe the first of the character wipes is set to happen tomorrow. I'm going to probably stay away till they go feature complete. Its very cool. If your on the fence, I'd recommend waiting till winter break - some of the more glaring bugs should be fixed, more content should be in, and combat after the alpha sector will no longer be hit first or die.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: December 08, 2013, 11:17:44 AM

I wonder if they'll be nerfing the new not-Rebel_Hoth_soldier armor they patched in last night...13 is good armor for tier 1 and makes the push for the tier 2 15 armor look like a slog.

Allegedly, it was slated to be nerfed for the next patch, but now the next patch is an entire overhaul of the level/damage system.  So who knows how anything will be balanced now.

I do find it interesting being part of a beta that's actually a beta, where they're not hesitating to revamp the entire progression scheme and wipe everyone's characters to test something.  It definitely feels way more alive and fluid than the marketing exercise that describes most MMO betas I've been in.  I do think the system needs a revamp, I'm one shotting everything that doesn't one shot me, seems like.

I have to admit, with seeds gone, I'm not sure about the point of the 3D printer.  All the stuff you'd want to be able to throw together a bunch of copies of (ore, seeds, blocks, food, maybe armor) seem to be un-scannable.  The only scannable stuff seems to be things like cosmetic furniture, which I don't see the point of, since you don't need much of it and it's not like it wears out.

I have found some interesting stuff in the Beta sector, though, including my new nemesis, poisonous lakes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Starbound (I can't believe it's not Terraria 2) is coming!  
Jump to: