Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:54:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Black Desert - Korea getting serious about sandboxes 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Black Desert - Korea getting serious about sandboxes  (Read 191810 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #35 on: April 19, 2013, 09:54:28 AM

Tents for housing is lol, but those are probably out of reach for Free loading players - that said, looks interesting. Gorgeous, without blatant T&A spam we used to experience in Lineage 2.

Then what's the point in playing?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #36 on: April 19, 2013, 09:58:40 AM

This looks nice.  I don't mind the wonky armour in Korean games.  I just have to be careful to only get hit in the boobies and girl junk because they are the only areas most of the armour covers.  I've become good at it over the years. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #37 on: April 19, 2013, 11:17:26 AM

Didn't SWG have tents? I remember camping being a "thing" althought I never did it.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: April 19, 2013, 12:15:47 PM

Camps were a Scout and Ranger skill that let them set up temporary bases out in the wild.  These sound more like semi-permanent homes.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
schild
Administrator

Reply #39 on: April 19, 2013, 12:18:41 PM

This entire thing is basically going to be hilarious trash. I'd appreciate it if no one thought otherwise.

Edit:
Didn't SWG have tents? I remember camping being a "thing" althought I never did it.

No.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: April 19, 2013, 08:24:39 PM

As much as we were talking about the nice armor designs earlier: is it me or is the lady at around 1:00 basically just in boots and a shirt?
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: April 19, 2013, 09:11:32 PM

Occasional instances of that stuff are fine, though. If a lady in a fantasy world wants to fight in just boots and a shirt, fine, more power to her. It's a problem when my female characters are completely locked out of all the badass chainmail and whatnot the dudes get because it doesn't cross the designers' minds that anyone would want a female character to be wearing clothing more substantial than dental floss. Don't get me wrong, a lot of the outfits are still pretty silly (in particular heels on combat gear just completely kill it for me), but it's a relief that, from the screens, there are at least a couple outfits without exposed midriffs or boob windows that the designers actually put some effort into. It's not perfect, it's just better than what anyone was expecting.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: April 19, 2013, 09:34:05 PM

You know, if there was one thing I always wanted from my heroic fantasy, it was being able to roleplay a vagrant.

THANKS OBAMA KOREA.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #43 on: April 20, 2013, 03:27:16 AM

As much as we were talking about the nice armor designs earlier: is it me or is the lady at around 1:00 basically just in boots and a shirt?
It looks that outfit has one sleeve and one pant tight leg removed, but it's otherwise not far off from some medieval garments. Not the first Korean game which goes for this sort of asymmetric designs, from the recent ones Tera comes to mind. It's rather silly, but then perhaps not really more silly than leaving one's stomach or back exposed, fashion is often odd.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #44 on: April 20, 2013, 09:27:14 PM

Limited space for housing?  When they said sandbox MMO I wasn't expecting the litterbox.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #45 on: April 21, 2013, 03:23:18 AM

That's how it was in UO though. If anything, they are imitating the one that started it all and arguably still the most beloved sandbox mmorpg of all time.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #46 on: April 21, 2013, 03:56:33 AM

Yes, but UO didn't have houses in special housing-instances but right in the gameworld. Some at a very prime location...major roads, just outside city-gates, such things.

That was rad!*

*I hope that means what I think it does.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: April 21, 2013, 04:14:18 AM

And is Black Desert gonna have them in special instances instead? I am really asking since I have no idea. If that piece of information was given out at some point, I missed it. I assumed that since they were going to have limited availability it had to be in the shared gameworld.

Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: April 21, 2013, 11:46:25 AM

And is Black Desert gonna have them in special instances instead? I am really asking since I have no idea. If that piece of information was given out at some point, I missed it. I assumed that since they were going to have limited availability it had to be in the shared gameworld.

I assumed its kinda same as in archeage/UO- they are in actual gameworld and the space is limited and expensive.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: April 21, 2013, 11:48:25 AM

I assumed the same thing. Maybe Cala knows something we missed.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: April 21, 2013, 01:28:51 PM

I assumed the same thing. Maybe Cala knows something we missed.

No, not at all. I just assumed that:

From a new interview, about housing:

We will provide 1,000 ~ 2,000 houses to users in one server as a result only 20~30% of total users can own their house through auction system. Users without houses have to set up temporary tents in a permitted zone of field. The ownership of houses will be valid for 3 months and when it expires users can participate in the house auction bid again.

meant there is a fixed number of housing slots in some zone that will be auctioned off to the bidders. Mea culpa.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: June 18, 2013, 11:33:58 PM

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: August 30, 2013, 12:20:36 PM

There's a new video out (here if you want the HD version) which makes my sandbox senses tingle. Pay attention especially to the last 20 seconds or so, the map with resources and trade routes.

Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #53 on: August 30, 2013, 02:29:31 PM

...did he pull of a Google+ Social Combo in the first 20 seconds of the video? He like looked at his circles, dragged them in, and got a combo.

wat

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
schild
Administrator

Reply #54 on: September 01, 2013, 02:39:40 PM

All of these companies just need to start showing their games in English and have an American front-office (doesn't even need real employees) for people to take them seriously.

I have literally zero faith in anything 'online' that comes out of Asia. Now and forever.
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: September 05, 2013, 10:47:01 PM

All of these companies just need to start showing their games in English and have an American front-office (doesn't even need real employees) for people to take them seriously.

I have literally zero faith in anything 'online' that comes out of Asia. Now and forever.
What did they do to you?
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: September 06, 2013, 07:05:57 AM

What did they do to you?
They made bad games.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
schild
Administrator

Reply #57 on: September 06, 2013, 09:33:17 AM

^^
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: October 19, 2013, 07:05:11 PM

First leaked videos that I know of from Korean closed beta (watch it in HD). There's many more in that person's channel. They are boring, but hey, it's a sandbox. You don't see characters "stealing vodka" in a MMO every day...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 07:07:23 PM by Falconeer »

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: October 19, 2013, 07:48:57 PM

The fighting animations are awesome, i couldn't tell if he was a mage or some kind of monk though.

I am the .00000001428%
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: October 22, 2013, 05:56:47 PM

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: March 10, 2014, 04:54:38 AM

A few recemt videos of the sandboxy activities (miniugames) that will be in Black Desert at launch.

Flute playing.

Pigeon shooting.

What mounted combat is going to look like.

And a video of what it's like to adventure on a stormy night.

There are supposed to be different mobs populating the world depending on the time of the day and the weather conditions.

There's also a lot of things that are still unclear to me, for example it seems like completing quests in Black Desert won't give you XP, it will give you Contribution Points instead, which are used to buy services from NPCs, or to rent tools, workshops and other things.

It looks like they are developing an English client themselves so they are clearly hoping to "sell" the game in the West although no publishing deal has been signed yet.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: March 10, 2014, 01:56:42 PM

Oh good, mounted combat shaky cam.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: March 11, 2014, 03:42:54 PM

Oh good, mounted combat shaky cam.
Looks like headbob is not disabled while riding.  awesome, for real

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: March 12, 2014, 11:18:01 AM

A few recemt videos of the sandboxy activities (miniugames) that will be in Black Desert at launch.

Flute playing.

LotRO has the most sandboxy music system of any MMG. That's just a Flash game Flute Hero.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Njal
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: March 16, 2014, 03:16:53 PM

Stop making me want to play another Korean MMO. :)
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: March 28, 2014, 10:46:38 AM

Black Desert Pre-beta Interview with the Producer Kim Daeil

The graphic style feels positivly restrained for a Korean MMO:

A bit about combat:

You can't find a distinct tank, dps or support role in Black Desert so that in a boss battle, the formation becomes very important. The damage, defense and other stats of the team as a whole will differ a lot according to the formation. For example, if players stand in a circle, the defense of the whole team will be higher than in any other formations. If so, this formation is the best one to adopt to defend the boss attack. If players stand in a straight line, the first player in the line will cast the highest damage. The collaboration gameplay only works on super bosses for teams in the field, but not on general bosses in the field.

Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: March 28, 2014, 03:10:53 PM

That is going to end horribly.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: March 29, 2014, 06:32:52 AM

We've gone from dancing during boss fights to line dancing!

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #69 on: March 29, 2014, 04:54:09 PM

Unless the "melee" characters have hit range of 10 metres and more, it'd appear there's only room for one melee guy in each formation and the rest may as well not apply, because it's a choice between getting a ranged in that slot, or bringing a melee that breaks the formation just to be able to hit shit, and gets the 'penalty' of not having the formation bonus thanks to it.

Either of these being impressively idiotic, for reasons that should be obvious to anyone but apparently the designers of this wonder Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Black Desert - Korea getting serious about sandboxes  
Jump to: