Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:39:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: State of the Game post 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: State of the Game post  (Read 38419 times)
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: April 25, 2013, 10:04:43 AM

Seems easier to tune up a set of gear than to debug this "bolster" system.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: April 25, 2013, 11:45:06 AM

Buggy though it may be right now, it's still way, WAY better than that recruit set.

Over and out.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #37 on: April 25, 2013, 01:27:48 PM

Buggy though it may be right now, it's still way, WAY better than that recruit set.

Better than recruit, sure. But worse than a properly tuned recruit set would have been.

One problem with bolster is that (until you get geared up in PvP gear to the point where bolster stops kicking in) your stats are essentially meaningless, and the improvements for replacing an individual items seems arbitrary and not necessarily reflect by the stats on it.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: April 25, 2013, 01:39:08 PM

Naked people being bolstered to the best pvp stats is probably the high-point of SWTOR max-level pvp, actually. Once gear is back, it's going to be the same old treadmill of shittiness.

DIKUs could do what GW1/2 did and have everyone pick their pvp suit as they see fit (enhancements and all), and use that whenever in a arena/warzone... heck, WOW of all games did it with its Arena Tournament servers. Except that this would cause all the 'elite pvpers' to throw a hissy fit and the bottom would fall out. See also: Rift's brief experiment of complete gear equalization in battlegrounds.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #39 on: April 25, 2013, 01:52:51 PM

One problem with bolster is that (until you get geared up in PvP gear to the point where bolster stops kicking in) your stats are essentially meaningless, and the improvements for replacing an individual items seems arbitrary and not necessarily reflect by the stats on it.

I see this as a feature, personally. I am totally okay with my stats being meaningless until I have gear good enough to where I raise above the baseline. Bolster is easier to tune, I suspect, and has the added bonus of not needing to design/balance a suit for every single AC every time you decide you need to reset the PvP gear.

God Save the Horn Players
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #40 on: May 08, 2013, 06:47:26 PM

Is there any sort of active guild of F13ers? This game is about a million times more fun with friends, but all mine left.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: May 09, 2013, 09:19:06 AM

Define Active.  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #42 on: May 09, 2013, 10:36:35 AM

There are like 4-7 active-ish players in our guild. Not all f13ers, though, and at any given time half of them tend to be playing the other side from each other.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #43 on: May 09, 2013, 08:30:15 PM

I started playing again intermittently since I'm waiting for more TSW content.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Jherad
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: May 31, 2013, 04:08:33 PM

Better than recruit, sure. But worse than a properly tuned recruit set would have been.

So the latest round in the PvP bolster saga is that now apparently non-moddable crafted purple gear (RE'd up from greens) is FAR better than conqueror.

PTS thread here, but the problem is evident on live also:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=645674

Essentially the game sees crafted purples as greens as far as bolster is concerned, and gives huge bonuses to it (along with 2k+ expertise).

Some ranked teams are already taking advantage of this apparently.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: May 31, 2013, 04:21:39 PM

Probably related to that old display bug where they'd show as green when inspected on other players...

Jherad
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 31, 2013, 04:30:26 PM

Yes, I had exactly the same thought. That bug has been around since... forever... however. I hope the fact it was never fixed was only down to it being merely a cosmetic issue prior to bolster.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #47 on: June 11, 2013, 08:41:21 AM

I had the urge to play this, set it to update while I was painting. Went to log in and the big f2p screen popped up and made it sound like I'd lose any credit for stuff I had built up as a subscriber. Rather than look into the details, I alt-f4'd out and deleted the game.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: August 02, 2013, 04:46:52 AM

So I woke up this morning to find a SWTOR e-mail... from Aeria Games.  Ouch.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fond of some of their offerings, but they're basically a publisher for the cheapest and most disposable games brought over to the Western market.  Playing their stuff is my guilty pleasure when I need a change of pace.

Regardless, I take it as a pretty bad sign as to how things have gone for a Western game to end up under their purview.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #49 on: August 02, 2013, 05:08:02 AM

I don't seem to have that e-mail. So they're switching publishers?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: August 02, 2013, 07:06:46 AM

Aeria, aren't those the ones responsible for Scarlet Blade?

Anyway, I didn't get an email either, but I haven't logged in since forever (in fact, I don't think I ever received any SWTOR mail other than the 'please come back' one).

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: August 02, 2013, 08:17:11 AM

I got it from Aeria, who sends me e-mails for their games.  They tend to do so whenever they get a new one, or just to promote something in their stable if they don't have much new to send out.

However, it is showing on their list.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: August 02, 2013, 08:51:48 AM

I don't think it really means much other than another way to advertise the game.  People are still feeding this game tons of money in cartel coins.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: August 02, 2013, 11:56:26 AM

SWTOR is not changing publishers. Aeria is just a marketing partner with EA (and they have been for ages - they "publish" Battlefield Heroes alongside EA, for example.)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 11:59:26 AM by Ingmar »

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: State of the Game post  
Jump to: