Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:09:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: How can I be self sufficient solo? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How can I be self sufficient solo?  (Read 53406 times)
TheWall
Terracotta Army

on: February 08, 2013, 12:42:32 PM

I haven't played in a very long time. In the past I would just war dec empire corps with my one man corp and have some fun. I had a wealthy benefactor then who wasn't into pvp but enjoyed watching me mess with folks in empire. Unortunately the gravy train ended when he sold all his accounts.

As a solo player is it possible for me to fund two accounts with PLEX as well as any empire wars I want to declare? If so will I be stuck mining and mission running for hours and hours?

I'm not sure what the economy is like now since it has been so long. Thanks for the advice.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 05:31:52 PM

The economy:

- PLEXes cost 550 million.  Trit is at 5, Pyerite at 13, and so on.  Frigates are 500k, cruisers 10-15m, battleships 100-150m.  Tech 2 gear is through the roof (base T2 resist module price is 2 million), higher meta T1 can still be found at old prices here and there.  "Average" wealth is probably 20 billion in the wallet (I feel poor at 4b).

- Mision rewards have not been upgraded to keep up with the costs of things and player wealth.  The belts in high-sec are mined out daily; you'll barely find enough ore per roid to do 1-2 cycles on a barge's 3-minute-cycle strip miner.  Trade opportunities aren't obvious at a first glance (not that they ever were).

Money-making activities:

- On the other hand, you can get really lucky, even in high sec, with loot drops from exploration sites, if you manage to beat everyone else to the overseer loot container.  Any officer drop can be sold at super-inflated prices.  Or, if you can find a pick-up group to do Sansha Incursions with (they'll take you if you're shield logistics / Basilisk in a heartbeat), they reward pretty well (but are quite tough).  Or, FW has been re-designed to be more about PVP than about PVE, and the LP's can be raked in and changed to ISK (though the average exchange rate is 1 LP : 500 ISK or lower).

- Lowsec exploration sites are quite profitable (by high-sec standards), but will likely require a solid tanked ship.  People are flying T3 cruisers; you may be able to do with a HAC, well tanked.  Pirate attacks are a given in lowsec, though; the higher rewards attract carebears who then attract pirates.  I haven't heard "lowsec is empty, make the carebears come, CCP" in a while.

- Null moneymaking is probably still about DED complexes, which are a group activity.

- In addition to all these, wormholes can be found all over the place, leading to w-space; 2500 solar systems that can be exploited either by grinding the Sleepers (for rewards comparable to null complexes, and this is typically a group activity), or by PVP roams to kill the grinders for their juicy ships (often T3 fitted with officer modules, this is also a group activity).

I've played, pretty casually, solo Exploration sites in high-sec.  I'm spending my time answering questions in the newbie forums, really.  In any case, without really trying, I was able to make 500 mil per month using a T2 fitted Vexor and a probing frigate (no fancy stuff).  But, given how much time I have, and the fact that I have a RL job, I'm actually going the opposite way:  I'll buy PLEXes to inject ISK into my account.  It's not worth it for me to grind for ISK.

Anyway, hope this gives you an idea of what you can do.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 05:33:34 PM by ajax34i »
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 01:38:26 AM

The economy:

- "Average" wealth is probably 20 billion in the wallet (I feel poor at 4b).

Is that number from the peers your play with or an "average eve online player"?

Like Mr. Wall I have resubbed too after an 1 1/2 year long hiatus and feel quite out of the loop, economical and social.  undecided

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 04:39:23 AM

Here are some actual numbers from last year.

I'm solo (no peers); the 20 bil number above was pulled out of my ass, sorry about that.  It's what I would aim for, currently (was feeling comfortable with 4b when I quit the game 2 years ago), based on what some of the ships that I can theoretically fly would cost.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 04:41:52 AM by ajax34i »
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 04:51:41 AM

Don't play Eve solo. Unless you're female. Then people will throw money at you if you let them. If you own a pair of testies though, then...

Don't play Eve solo. The only way to play Eve solo and not pay real money is to bot up the wazoo or be really good at convincing people to transfer you their ISK. That's speaking generally, of course, since maybe there's a group that needs a programmer/artist/web-designer to spice up their Eve Online blogroll and is willing to pay you spacebucks for actual talent. Really, I bet there's someone out there willing to pay you in PLEXes to pretend your his Eve girlfriend that totally doesn't sound like a voice enhancer on TeamSpeak. If that rubs against your sensibilities too wrongly, then...

Don't play Eve solo. Unless you're willing to cut the power cable on some unsuspecting spacenerd during a fleet battle in exchange for video game subscriptions there is nothing interesting in playing Eve Online alone. It's more worthwhile to become a truck driver.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 09:37:27 AM

I think the most amount of money I ever had in Eve was about 3-4 billion, and that was due to one lucky drop. Aside from one, the cap ships I owned I got via real cash. Really, after 6 years of trying, I have to say don't play eve solo. Its designed to make self sufficiency impossible, and to force you to hand over money.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 09:39:01 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 10:38:57 AM

I played EVE solo for years and became ridiculously rich just building and selling ships in Dodixie.  Getting rich was pretty much the entire object of the game for me though and when I finally got tired of the grind I quit.  Unless, you're weird like me I recommend you take everyone elses advice and join up with Bat Country.
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 03:58:12 AM

Haven't played for a long time but a year ago you could fund plexes plus some walking around money with Planetary Interaction on one account.  Took a few weeks training all told and the setup was a clicky nightmare but then you'd just have to fiddle around a few minutes every few days and haul now and then.  This was long after the market had matured so I imagine there is still money to be made.  Don't have any guides handy but I'm sure you can search some out - Eve Uni lets anyone see their great wiki, or Goons if you have access.  Nice thing about PI was you could min-max the hell out of it and fiddle+haul very often or just eh whatever and have much less busywork for less profits.

I agree with don't play EVE solo though.  It's a shit game that only becomes interesting when you're participating in the big stories.  TEST or Goons are piss easy to get into.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 06:03:34 AM

All the boys think I'm easy.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 11:42:05 PM

Planet money took a hard hit when CCP put a hefty tax rate on the exporting of the material to orbit.  It's still possible to turn profits, but making enough to pay for an account more or less mandates nullsec or wormhole planets.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 04:36:04 AM

Don't play Eve solo. Unless you're female. Then people will throw money at you if you let them. If you own a pair of testies though, then...

Don't play Eve solo. The only way to play Eve solo and not pay real money is to bot up the wazoo or be really good at convincing people to transfer you their ISK. That's speaking generally, of course, since maybe there's a group that needs a programmer/artist/web-designer to spice up their Eve Online blogroll and is willing to pay you spacebucks for actual talent. Really, I bet there's someone out there willing to pay you in PLEXes to pretend your his Eve girlfriend that totally doesn't sound like a voice enhancer on TeamSpeak. If that rubs against your sensibilities too wrongly, then...

Don't play Eve solo. Unless you're willing to cut the power cable on some unsuspecting spacenerd during a fleet battle in exchange for video game subscriptions there is nothing interesting in playing Eve Online alone. It's more worthwhile to become a truck driver.

Hah, I think you scared off everyone who reads this and never tried EVE before.

Edit: I do agree with your point that the people you are with is what is most important. But that's true for pretty much everything in life.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 04:51:26 AM by calapine »

Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 08:06:12 AM

Hah, I think you scared off everyone who reads this and never tried EVE before.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 08:20:27 AM

You don't have to be 'good at getting people to transfer risk' to scam. You can be terrible and you will still succeed.

But there is no point doing so unless someone is interested in your logs of tears. Join bat country.

All the real solo money is in market speculation. You need people to discuss trends with even to do that well.

If you have any interest at all in MMOGs and multiplayer community based gaming you need to play eve just to see what a successful sand box actually looks like. But doing so solo makes absolutely no sense.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 08:29:59 AM

Just to illustrate my point about market speculation, I just looked up the price of guidance systems. If I resub it turns out I'm 30 billion richer than when I left because of goon advice to sink cash into Guidance Systems.

I don't know how many bots you have to run to pull in that cash.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 01:25:30 PM

A lot of people are looking for advice on how to pay for EVE with in-game ISK.  My advice would be:  you can play EVE if you want (even solo), just don't try that.  They have discounts on PLEX very often; $15-$20 gets you 500 million ISK, and 500 million is more than a newbie needs.

I'm currently not in Bat Country because I don't have time to play, really.  The account is active so I can get some skillpoints, but I can't play more than super-casually.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 02:55:00 PM

A lot of people are looking for advice on how to pay for EVE with in-game ISK.  My advice would be:  you can play EVE if you want (even solo), just don't try that.  They have discounts on PLEX very often; $15-$20 gets you 500 million ISK, and 500 million is more than a newbie needs.

I'm currently not in Bat Country because I don't have time to play, really.  The account is active so I can get some skillpoints, but I can't play more than super-casually.

I played the game more or less solo the first year I played.  I joined a wormhole corp and made more ISK in two hours than I had made the entire previous year.  Problem is you need to have a decent set of skills before a good wormhole corp will want you. 

So you can play solo and get your skills up, but if you want the real money you need to join a decent corp.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 09:42:56 PM

The ways to make the best money hinge on having a posse.  Exploiting wormholes requires a pile of players for handling the logistics of it.  Farming faction warfare is much faster with a FW corp.  Ditto incursions.  Even something that can be done solo with sufficient skills like nullsec ratting is unfeasible for a truly solo player as the owners of the system will come out to shoot you if you aren't allied to them.  With 24/7 botting you could ice mine for money, I guess, but that's not exactly an exciting use of one's time.
TheWall
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 05:51:47 PM

I guess I've had bad experiences grouping. I either run around all night and find no one to fight, or we find a lone person to destroy which is unsatisfying, or we get entirely destroyed. Every scenario resulted in a tiny amount of PvP for the time invested. But when I struck out on my own I was able to find PvP in empire so much quicker. Creating my own 1 man corp made for tons of fun with empire war decs. Or I would do the flag myself thing and try to get people mad enough to declare me. I only fly and fit tech 1 on my cruiser so my losses never cost more than what I take in. Its not enough income to pay for the war decs on my own though. Maybe I'll try the 90 day deal and buy some risk with the plex thing.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 08:23:08 AM

Eve is a tough game.  No matter where you go you will find organized groups of people who want to kill you.  If for no other reason than making their killboard look good.

You can be one of the sharks or one of the guppies, its up to you.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 03:01:51 AM

Oh...since we are talking about ISK already:

How many billions a month is it to rent a system?

I always wanted my own little deadend system, name an alliance so it shows as 'Cala's Secret Garden' on the sov map. Maybe put  a nice looking Gallente station there. Be blue to everyone and sell ammo & mods to local ratters at self-cost.

Oh, well. One can dream... embarassed

Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 03:03:54 AM

Pay me 10bil and I'll let you do it on the test server.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 03:15:21 AM

Only if you accept test server ISK.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

If I am ever wealthy enough to say '10bn, sure why not?' I'll get back to you. As of now, that's pretty much my wallet balance.

Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 03:31:30 AM

I can't get you a coloured dot on the sov map, but I can let you pick a name for our station in S-D for as many times as you want. You can sell as much ammo there as you want for free.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 05:16:34 AM

Oooh, make it a mood station; change the name of it every time your mood changes.   awesome, for real
TheWall
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 01:20:04 PM

The new flagging system has certainly made what I do more dangerous. I think I like that though.
TheWall
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 08:09:50 AM

No one shoots at me. I don't understand it. I made a new account with the power of two thing and just started fresh. I didn't activate any of my old accounts so I'm completely noob with just tutorial money. So far I've robbed every mission runner I have scanned out. I just fly around and take everything they have. None of them shoot at me. I'm starting to think only bots actually play the game now. I really figured with the new flagging system that I'd be in a lot of danger doing this. Perhaps they consider it too much risk to shoot at a noob frigate in their maurader.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #26 on: March 04, 2013, 09:53:34 AM

I'm not sure how the mechanic works, exactly, but you probably look like obvious bait.  Like every time a command ship or heavy interdictor is sitting on a gate by itself in lowsec or 0.0.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 04, 2013, 09:55:43 AM

It is, considering the cost of their ship, and the possibility of you being a bait ship for whatever elite team of griefer PVP people.  It's because of misunderstood flagging rules, corp leaders who don't explain things, and an interest in PVE only.  And bots of course.

Some miner/industrialist corps advise all their members never to undock or shoot; they believe that actual PVP will cause PVP'ers to be interested in targetting their corp with a never-ending succession of wars.  As if they gain a reputation for putting out.

EDIT:  Also, pointless to attack you if they don't have a warp scrambler, because you'll just warp away.  And most of them don't have a scram fitted for missions.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 10:09:20 AM by ajax34i »
TheWall
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 04, 2013, 11:07:11 AM

The new mechanic is if you steal you are flagged to be shot by anyone in the game. Its no longer just the victim and their corp. That being said even if they shot at my frigate and I was baiting them what could I do? Attack them with my frigate? I suppose I could tackle them forever assuming I don't get alpha nuked by their insane DPS and they don't call in a buddy to clear me out.

I think maybe ajax34i is right about the pve corp thing. Still, I would think they would want to protect their assets. Especially in a level 4 mission.

Then again I've been away for a while. Maybe that crap just isn't valuable enough to someone who has been playing a long time.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 04, 2013, 12:12:46 PM

Yes, but if they shoot you aren't they also flagged?  e.g. You steal their stuff, they shoot you, your fleet warps in at 0 and can blow them away without Concord getting involved.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 04, 2013, 12:16:50 PM

TheWall
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: March 04, 2013, 01:07:30 PM

Kitsune no. Only I can respond to being attacked. Anyone fleet or corp who helps me by shooting would be concorded. If they remote repair me then my helper would be flagged attackable by everyone as well. There is no way to really bait trap someone in concord space unless you can get into a ship that can kill them after they attack you. And that's assuming they are dumb enough to wait around for that.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 04, 2013, 01:33:23 PM

Yeah, I just did the research.  Apparently anyone shooting a suspect is only flagged in a manner that allows the suspect to shoot back.  And I learned during that same research that kill rights allow anyone and everyone to shoot the person when they're activated, which is very interesting.  I'd only figured that they allowed the person holding the kill right to attack, or maybe them and their fleetmates, but everybody can jump the person when the owner activates the kill right.

Even more fun: "If the kill right activation does not result in a kill, then the kill right will not be spent, and will continue to be available for activation. "   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

It's enough to make it tempting to head into highsec and gank the various flagged people I've seen wandering around now that I know that their ten buddies can't jump me the moment I aggress.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: March 04, 2013, 02:25:47 PM

I don't recall someone actually losing a ship because of killrights off the top of my head and I've been playing this game way over the recommended dosage.

I've been trying out Factional Warfare and I feel invincible in my destroyer since nothing can catch me on gates and in plexes I'm only threatened by other destroyers thanks to ship restrictions. Even my T3 has not turned into a hilarious lossmail, because I cloak whenever I want to.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 04, 2013, 04:36:25 PM

The way it works is this

Person runs around stealing from mission runners cans

Victim shoots at bait

Victim is now regflagged to the other members of the gang.

Other alt warps in with a Amarr Logistics ship and Nosferatus the victim to death while repping the bait, both guys scramming the victim.

I triggered it once the last time I played to see the trap. Jackass was practically begging me to shoot him so I decided to see the trap for myself. Plus I was pretty much bored out of my skull and it was the third last time I ever logged into the shitty game, so what did I care.

Then there fallowed this convo (paraphrased)

"300 million. now.

"you have 10 seconds"

Me "This ship can be replaced for 100 mill with everything on it."

".!.."
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 04:39:29 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: How can I be self sufficient solo?  
Jump to: