Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:41:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: So...anyone still playing? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So...anyone still playing?  (Read 61063 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #70 on: July 29, 2013, 09:24:18 AM

Abandoned my first character for now, because I'd spread-out too much and decided if i was going to regrind Kinsmouth it was going to be on a character that I could be focused from the start. 

Holy shit is Sword/ Fists powerful. So magic is a dumb choice in the occult game.  Lesson learned.  I'll pick-up Rifle at some point  soon for ranged work since that's the 3rd most common thing I see obvious twinks/ replays running around with, but I'm certainly not going to mess with magic for a bit.  Even then it seems like go Blood or go home.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #71 on: July 29, 2013, 01:57:52 PM

I demolished Kingsmouth with pistols/elements. YMMV.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #72 on: July 29, 2013, 08:11:25 PM

Abandoned my first character for now, because I'd spread-out too much and decided if i was going to regrind Kinsmouth it was going to be on a character that I could be focused from the start. 

Holy shit is Sword/ Fists powerful. So magic is a dumb choice in the occult game.  Lesson learned.  I'll pick-up Rifle at some point  soon for ranged work since that's the 3rd most common thing I see obvious twinks/ replays running around with, but I'm certainly not going to mess with magic for a bit.  Even then it seems like go Blood or go home.

This makes me very sad.

You shouldn't have to redo a character but funcom tutorial clownshoes. Are you sure some upgrades from Surlyboi/me won't make your original character fine?

Swords is godly as a starting point, and ranged/magic is underwhelming initially sadly. It's not that different from Wow other dikus.... is it?
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: July 30, 2013, 02:29:06 AM

I ran into the timed hunting mission at the Wabanaki lodge in Blue Mountain. Terrible quest, but it's marked as a main quest. Can I skip it without missing anything cool?
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #74 on: July 30, 2013, 04:02:05 AM

As long as it's not storyline based, yes.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #75 on: July 30, 2013, 07:49:37 AM

This makes me very sad.

You shouldn't have to redo a character but funcom tutorial clownshoes. Are you sure some upgrades from Surlyboi/me won't make your original character fine?

Swords is godly as a starting point, and ranged/magic is underwhelming initially sadly. It's not that different from Wow other dikus.... is it?

I wasn't terribly attached to him and was going to start an illuminati at some point anyway so I can come back around to see the Dragon stuff in time.   Like I said, I know I could go back and farm Kingsmouth for points, but nah.  The new character is already on to QL5 swords and building for QL4 talismans and I'm only hitting the Orochi stuff whereas I was struggling to equip QL3 gear on the first character who's on the school in the 2nd zone.  I just really fucked-up point allocation with him.

Llyse
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: July 30, 2013, 05:07:10 PM

Anything not in your storyline can get skipped and Moths are pretty high on the skip list.

I'm not on often enough and I'm in a weird timezone but add Mices/Lysel and I'll help out and maybe try and solo dungeons like polaris for ya
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #77 on: July 31, 2013, 05:26:03 AM

Thanks, I will.  I'm typically only playing for an hour or so because of the +xp milkshake.  I might stretch in to a few hours on Saturday/ Sundays if I don't have anything else going on, but I'll keep an eye out.

Moths weren't that bad on the 1st character once I figured out what the effing problem was.  They call for help, the fuckers. Have to peel them off and kill all of the biggies in an area before you kill the workers.   After that it was pretty simple. Their charge is easily walked out of, not even requiring a dodge and was the biggest issue.   

What got me to restart was doing the school quests. I couldn't handle those mobs at all, dying or being nearly-dead after every fight even after switching to Blood-Ele.  I simply didn't have the QL gear to be doing it and attempting the one where you go to the boathouse finally made me realize I had to go regrind SP in Kingsmouth, to which I said "makes more sense to start anew and focus."   (The Demons also kicked my ass because of their anti-healing hits and the Amusement Park has that awful graphic effect that gave me headaches.)

Llyse
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: July 31, 2013, 04:46:10 PM

Fair enough, swords and blood lasted me until Translyvania pretty much personally and even there all I needed was a slight tweak.

Secret World definitely plays more like a single player which I enjoy more lately. There are still group things to do but it's definitely not as polished especially when the storyline is instanced for many parts of it.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: September 03, 2013, 09:34:37 AM

Bumping just to add that after a year, I've returned to Secret World. As bold and interesting as games like GW2 are, ultimately for me SW wins just because:

- best characters and storyline of any MMO bar none. Better than 99% of single player games to be honest.
 - interesting character development and skill system
 - really high quality 5 player content. cannot emphasise enough how good their dungeons are compared even to WoW.

Almost finished Egypt and then it's off to TRansylvania, yay!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #80 on: September 03, 2013, 12:54:42 PM

My mini-map has disappeared and I can't make it come back and now the overworld map has gone, too. It's really, REALLY detrimental to game play.

Grr.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #81 on: September 16, 2013, 09:35:04 AM

So after getting my ass kicked in Egypt for a little while, I moved back to Blue Mountains.  Now I'm doing OK but tired of the story. Yes, yes, yes, very tragic with the zombies and the fog, etc. I already beat-down the 4,000 year-old mystic, why do I care why your ghosts are upsetting your cats?

I'll note it's very odd how the choice of skills can make shit impossible to kill but there's no clues to let you know, "you should be using magic, not physical attacks here."  or "Oh, this guy will totally eat your shit if you try ranged attacks, but melee him like a pro." 

Like all Funcom games the lack of documentation or ability to figure shit out without doing a lot of metagame research is really irritating.  I think that's really the most disappointing thing of the whole game, the rest is pretty enjoyable.

Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: September 17, 2013, 10:49:30 AM

I've come back to the game after the disappointment of ...basically everything else. Am surprised you are having problems there - if a mob has a special defense of mode it's indicated by a buff on the mob that's permanently there. There's nothing I can think of in Blue Mountains which is that mjrderous though - that stuff only kicks in in Transylvania where the game expects you to have multiple builds and abilities.

I actually prefer the side stories to the main story personally. I loved the old lady in the house in blue mountains - thought she was a fantastic character in a cast of great characters.

Have you done any of the dungeons? The blue gear from there does make life easier
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #83 on: September 17, 2013, 02:50:47 PM

No dungeons at all.  No LFG means standing around spamming like it's 2004.  No thanks I'm over that shit and only have a few hours to play.  I'm not wasting AP-farming time doing that.

I suspect this has lead to some problems, in that my gear is lower level.  QL7 greens in Egypt was rough.  Another problem is most likely that I'm not leveling both lines of my weapons at the same time.  I've got a main damage (sword) and a support weapon (rifle) and I'll push the main line of those, to the QL of gear that's dropping then backfill. 

I started doing the backfill after going back to BM and it's getting easier.  At 7/5 and 6/7 while at talisman 7 now.

Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: September 17, 2013, 04:15:14 PM

Um, there is a group finder. Just sign up for the dungeon you want, or form a group from the people listed on it. I've used over the last two weeks to do Darkness War, The Ankh and Hell Fallen normal and Polaris, Hell raised, the ankh and hell fallen on elite as well.

(Being a tanking red for dungeons as per usual for mmo's).
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #85 on: September 18, 2013, 05:51:40 AM

There is?  Well fuck, how the hell was I supposed to know that?  Ugh, this company!

Thanks.

Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: October 21, 2013, 03:31:43 PM

Got all excited by the promise of new progression in 1.8 and reactivated my account.

Everyone I used to play with back in the day has jumped ship at this point, so I'd love to piece together another friends list (or cabal on the freak chance that anyone else is a Dragon on Grim) of people to run nightmares with. I did Master Planner of Polaris, Hell Risen, Darkness War and Ankh back in the day. Hell Fallen was a complete mess then, and none of the other nightmares had been implemented yet. I run primarily as a healer, but can piece together a dps set, or if people are really, really desperate and don't mind a learning curve, I've probably got the gear and abilities to tank the first three at least.

I'm Ides on Grim. Feel free to friend me and pester me if you see me on.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: So...anyone still playing?  
Jump to: