Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 08:04:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Trek: Into Darkness 0 Members and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek: Into Darkness  (Read 197583 times)
Ubvman
Terracotta Army

Reply #385 on: May 07, 2013, 08:49:45 PM

You guys do know that the movie had a special premiere in Australia on April 23?
You can google the reports.

No spoilers here, but from what I read - most of you guys will throw gigantic nerdrage fit. Seriously.
 Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  DRILLING AND MANLINESS  why so serious?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #386 on: May 08, 2013, 05:14:46 AM

Nah.  Not us.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #387 on: May 08, 2013, 09:05:16 AM

Spoiler alert: JJ Abrams overuses lens flare in the movie.

Speaking of overused: Spoiler alert: In the final act, the situation on the Enterprise will become immensely dire. So dire, in fact, that the only way to save the crew and defeat the bad guy will be to eject the warp core.

(these are jokes, I haven't seen it yet)

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #388 on: May 08, 2013, 09:08:34 AM

Well, unless it's TNG.  Then it's invert polarity of tachyons using the deflector dish.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #389 on: May 08, 2013, 10:11:50 AM

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #390 on: May 08, 2013, 10:13:22 AM

If we reverse the polarity of the main deflector dish we can sour the baby's milk

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #391 on: May 08, 2013, 06:19:50 PM

Every time I hear Benedict Cumberbatch talk in the previews, I swear he's doing a Patrick Stewart impersonation.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #392 on: May 08, 2013, 08:12:21 PM

Well, unless it's TNG.  Then it's invert polarity of tachyons using the deflector dish.

TNG is the root of my "eject the warp core!" peeve. It seemed (to me) like every other episode had Geordi yelling to Picard about the damage to the warp core. Ugh.

For the record, I hate it because I think it's overused, not because of the techno babble.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #393 on: May 08, 2013, 11:57:50 PM

I predict Into Darkness, like the previous movie, will replace the treknobabble with endless scenes of characters running down hallways to pretend that there's some kind of drama going on.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #394 on: May 08, 2013, 11:59:54 PM

You mean dangling off of ledges?

That was like 45 minutes of the movie - people either falling off or struggling not to fall off of ledges.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #395 on: May 09, 2013, 12:02:08 AM

I read a spoilery review of this, and if it's true, the nerd rage in this thread will be intolerable.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #396 on: May 09, 2013, 12:03:45 AM

I read a spoilery review of this, and if it's true, the nerd rage in this thread will be intolerable.

Abrams shits on franchise. Movie makes a ton of money because lensflares. Done.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #397 on: May 09, 2013, 12:13:04 AM

I love Star Trek but I couldn't be bothered to rage at the first film. It's just a shitty faux Trek film for the drooling masses made by an awful director. It's more fan fiction than actual Trek film. At least they had the decency to make it essentially non-canon and completely ignorable.

I was going to say I look forward to Abrams shitting all over Star Wars but I'm not sure that shitting on what is already a giant pile of shit amounts to much.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 12:16:40 AM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #398 on: May 09, 2013, 12:54:51 AM

Ditto and I'd be surprised if anyone gave a shit.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #399 on: May 09, 2013, 05:29:57 AM

At least they had the decency to make it essentially non-canon and completely ignorable.

No, it's the New Canon.  Expect anything in the coming years off of this rif, not the old one which will be left to fester as it is.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #400 on: May 09, 2013, 06:30:04 AM

The Journey Home will be about Elephants in the reboot.

True Story.

Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #401 on: May 09, 2013, 07:04:16 AM

I'll be okay with whatever they do.  New Trek, for all its flaws, doesn't seem to enrage me at all for some reason, and I was a HUGE Trekkie once upon a time.  I understand what the new stuff is doing, and accept it.

There is one thing that did cause me incalculable rage, however.  Whose fucking idea was it to have the ENGINE ROOM IN A WARP-CAPABLE STARSHIP look like a chemical plant in New Jersey?  If they do away with that awful set design, or at least rein it in somewhat, all else will be forgiven.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #402 on: May 09, 2013, 07:12:12 AM

A better question is why - in a starship where space is a premium - is there a 3' diameter coolant pipe that runs for 100+ feet without encountering any devices that need cooled when the liquid is low-enough temperature to not scald a person.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #403 on: May 09, 2013, 07:19:14 AM

For Comic Relief.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #404 on: May 09, 2013, 07:32:14 AM

My only real gripe with the new Trek is why in the bridge of the Enterprise so god damn bright? The whole thing looks like it was made out of acrylic pieces. The bridge to the USS Kelvin would have been better IMHO. 

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #405 on: May 09, 2013, 08:19:49 AM

For the next movie, I'm wondering how they're going to give Kirk a son. Not only is he too young in this version, he actually gets cockblocked way, way more often than Classic Kirk.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #406 on: May 09, 2013, 08:54:52 AM

You know I watched Wrath of Khan a couple of weekends ago in preparation for this movie.

Wrath of Khan is terrible. It is an awful movie that is stupid and terrible and it's supposedly the best one of the bunch?

UGH.

I'll take the reboot over any other Trek movie.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: May 09, 2013, 09:04:03 AM

ACK!

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #408 on: May 09, 2013, 10:03:57 AM

I know, crazy right?

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #409 on: May 09, 2013, 11:18:43 AM

I know, crazy right?

You obviously need help. I have a few therapists' numbers laying around here at work I can give you.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #410 on: May 09, 2013, 11:26:27 AM

My only real gripe with the new Trek is why in the bridge of the Enterprise so god damn bright?

It's the only way 3d movies can be made bearable after those god awful glasses steal 40% of the light.

I'm only half joking, its a factor in the art design of every 'made for 3d' film these days.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #411 on: May 09, 2013, 01:07:40 PM

I know, crazy right?

Either you're trolling or brain damaged.  why so serious?

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #412 on: May 09, 2013, 04:00:31 PM

Or both.

As for Canon. I'm fine with what they're doing to the prime universe in STO.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #413 on: May 10, 2013, 09:39:13 AM

I'm hearing some delightfully negative opinions from people overseas.

Ubvman
Terracotta Army

Reply #414 on: May 10, 2013, 08:27:31 PM

I'm hearing some delightfully negative opinions from people overseas.

It's released here in Malaysia. I am seeing it this afternoon (Saturday).

/switch -off brain
/del Startrekmovieplots
/del StartrekTVplots

Even then, I'm not expecting too much even when judging it on it's own merits.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 08:30:20 PM by Ubvman »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: May 10, 2013, 11:24:35 PM

Reviews I'm seeing say it has all the faulty philosophy and science based plot holes that people seem to like about the TV show, but they do it alongside EXPLOSIONS and RUNNING so you don't notice them as much.

Which sounds good to me.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #416 on: May 10, 2013, 11:29:33 PM

Reviews I'm seeing say it has all the faulty philosophy and science based plot holes that people seem to like about the TV show, but they do it alongside EXPLOSIONS and RUNNING so you don't notice them as much.

Which sounds good to me.

Worked for Transformers 3.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #417 on: May 11, 2013, 10:06:15 AM

And the first Star Trek reboot.  awesome, for real

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #418 on: May 11, 2013, 02:17:55 PM

And the first Star Trek reboot.  awesome, for real

Exactly. I don't even know why these movies pretend to have stories anymore. It's all about the roller coaster ride.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #419 on: May 12, 2013, 02:51:56 PM

I liked this film, it delivered everything I wanted from a Trek movie. Would see again.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Trek: Into Darkness  
Jump to: