Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 07:46:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Trek: Into Darkness 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek: Into Darkness  (Read 197556 times)
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #315 on: March 23, 2013, 07:44:33 PM

What argument?

She really is pretty: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/hottest-stars-sci-fi-universe-gallery-1.39013

All the bits are in the right spots.
One of the reasons I stopped watching "Enterprise" after the pilot was the pandering "lets have these two hot people grease each other up for no reason" scene.  The more important reason I stopped watching was that it was terrible.  I'm sure there will be a legitimate reason for her to be undressed, clothing was contaminated by space cooties I reckon.

Fake edit:  DS9's main problem was that they tried to base an entire series on an immobile space station.  So it was nothing but one horribly contrived reason after another that plotlines had to keep coming to them.  It would be like making a cop drama where no one ever left the precinct office.  Eventually they just said "fuck it" and built themselves that ship...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 07:47:24 PM by Miasma »
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #316 on: March 23, 2013, 09:53:05 PM

*primes grenade*

BABYLON 5!

*runs*

I liked DS9 more than a lot of the other Star Trek series I've seen, and I enjoyed Babylon 5 a lot too. Yes, both series have their terrible bits - almost any Ferengi-based episode in DS9 was terrible, and "Profit and Lace" was possibly a war crime - but so had all the other series. I liked the series conceit of a centralised space station rather than flying into new areas with very specific problems each week.

But yeah, "Profit and Lace":

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 06:48:12 AM by UnSub »

tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #317 on: March 24, 2013, 01:58:21 AM

The only star trek I didn't really like, was the voyager series, mainly because I didn't think they really handled the whole "hurr I'm a female leader" thing well enough early on, the humor in general was just slightly off-kilter for me, and I had a bit of a problem with the whole "we're down to 1 or 2 people left on the ship, and they're going to save the day with 2 seconds to spare" spiel going on in too many of its episodes.

But shitting on DS9 for being based on a space station that doesn't move all over the place, when that's what I would call one of its strengths because it encourages having more of a red thread going through it? Get out.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #318 on: March 24, 2013, 11:59:46 AM

The only star trek I didn't really like, was the voyager series, mainly because I didn't think they really handled the whole "hurr I'm a female leader" thing well enough early on, the humor in general was just slightly off-kilter for me, and I had a bit of a problem with the whole "we're down to 1 or 2 people left on the ship, and they're going to save the day with 2 seconds to spare" spiel going on in too many of its episodes.

I agree in general. But the two-parter Year of Hell was fantastic in general, and a standout for Voyager. Until the it-was-all-a-dream ending (which I called, but so didn't want to be right), I had it right there with Best of Both Worlds.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #319 on: March 24, 2013, 01:23:00 PM

Year of Hell was indeed 99% fantastic.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: March 24, 2013, 03:31:44 PM

Year of Hell was what the series should have been, and it was apparently originally planned as an actual year or season originally.

But that would've been interesting and successful, so they axed that idea  why so serious?

-edit- I am a member of team redundancy team.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 03:36:17 PM by Fordel »

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: March 24, 2013, 06:45:26 PM

Reminder: BSG was, at least in part, Ron Moore going to Brannon & Brega "This is how you should have done Voyager!".

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #322 on: March 24, 2013, 06:53:30 PM

Voyager I'd consider hard sci. fi, which turned a lot of people off.  That series was really made for the Trek grognard to feast on technobabble.

GTFO. Playing invent-a-particle does not "hard" sci-fi make. Any time they wanted to excuse something silly, they'd have someone pop off a string of gobbledygook nonsense. First season BSG, THAT was a hard-SF show. Or at least as close as we're likely to get on mainstream TV. "Hard" is not technobabble exposition and pseudoscience plot gimmicks. "Hard" is thinking about the science and constructing a world that feels real and consistent on top of it.

For me what makes Trek is the strength of the characters. TNG had a great bunch, barring poor, bland Riker - who should have been a badass of the Kirk mold, but they watered down into a Picard Jr. DS9 had an even better group, because they could expand beyond the traditional ST character options of soldier, scientist, or politician. Bashir was the least interesting, at least until they retconned him as an illegal genetic experiment. Voyager, aside from Seven of Nine and The Doctor, had the blandest cast of any ST series. They were all Rikers - watered-down, low-risk versions of theoretically strong archetypes. I can't remember a single pertinent thing about Kim or Tuvok, and Paris coasted by on being vaguely annoying.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: March 24, 2013, 06:58:37 PM

Voyager genuinely makes me angry. They took a premise which could have genuinely jumpstarted the franchise: Starfleet crewmembers who have to work with political dissidents who risked their lives to push back on the Federation to get home across an expanse of space where they know absolutely nothing about anything, and to get home will have to inevitably compromise at least something of their principles, and maybe not even get home until they're old or dead. If it wasn't going to be rebooted BSG, it could have been something more like Vinge's Fire Upon the Deep--maybe as you got into the galactic core things got weirder and more dangerous and not just guys-with-bumps-on-their-heads-who-have-slightly-variant-human-cultures thing. It could have been a glorious show. Instead, the guys who were showrunning it turned it into easily the worst of all the Trek series. Seriously, Enterprise had a more consistent tone and sense of what it was doing. There's nothing more hateful than a badly wasted opportunity.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 07:09:27 PM by Khaldun »
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: March 24, 2013, 07:40:52 PM

I agree in general. But the two-parter Year of Hell was fantastic in general, and a standout for Voyager. Until the it-was-all-a-dream ending (which I called, but so didn't want to be right), I had it right there with Best of Both Worlds.

I had to look it up but "Year of Hell" was that huge ship erasing stuff, and Voyager turning into a barely functional piece of scrap rather then the pristine holiday camp it always was. Yeah that was a pretty good 2 episode. And The cast exhibited *shock* EMOTION in their wooden acting.

Hic sunt dracones.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: March 24, 2013, 08:41:24 PM

They really tried to make Riker into Kirk but the truth is, Kirk as a character IS rather dull when he's put next to stronger ones like Picard. Punching lizards and fucking green women only goes so far.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #326 on: March 24, 2013, 08:43:22 PM

You can't have a Kirk without a Shatner. Frakes was not even close to Shatner.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #327 on: March 24, 2013, 08:45:15 PM

The only thing I enjoyed about DS9 was Garick.  And the only good thing about Voyager was looking at Jerri Ryan.

But even Lawful Evil Garick they screwed up paring him off with Lawful Good Bashir and Lawful Neutral Odo.  Loathsome.

And turning Year of Hell into a delusion was a disappointment on an already terribad show.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: March 25, 2013, 12:44:26 AM

All this talk of Voyager and DS9 (and their characters) makes me want to watch Babylon 5 again since my (nostalgic) memories of that show are mostly based on interesting characters the show had.  awesome, for real
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: March 25, 2013, 01:21:38 AM

The ending of Year of Hell was what made me stop watching Voyager. It really is what the show should have been like all the time. And it was the best part of BSG.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: March 25, 2013, 06:04:15 AM

All this talk of Voyager and DS9 (and their characters) makes me want to watch Babylon 5 again since my (nostalgic) memories of that show are mostly based on interesting characters the show had.  awesome, for real

Don't.

It hasn't aged well either.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #331 on: March 25, 2013, 06:59:29 AM

Haven't seen "Year in Hell", but these parts of "Living Witness" (sorry, fan edit on YouTube) were the most interesting parts of Voyager I've seen to date. I think I'd seen three episodes of Voyager back to back where ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAPPENED + holodeck episodes and then there was this. I would have watched this Voyager.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #332 on: March 25, 2013, 07:13:26 AM

Don't.

Watch it the way I do: by listening to it as you do something else.  The terrible CGI and sets never come in to play that way unless there's some big action scene you want to watch.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #333 on: March 25, 2013, 08:38:53 AM

Don't.

/grenade

Babylon 5 is still better than all the Treks put together.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: March 25, 2013, 08:44:16 AM

Don't.

/grenade

As a whole? No, it was not.  It had some greatness to it sure but come on, there was so much stink on that show that hung like a cloud over the good stuff that I can't believe anyone could say that.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #335 on: March 25, 2013, 09:25:21 AM

Don't.

/grenade

Which has nothing to do with what I said, even if true.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #336 on: March 25, 2013, 09:41:04 AM

Yeah, he said it hasn't aged well. And it hasn't.  It's graphics were below TNG when it came out, and even TNG looks tired and sad when you watch the ship views. (One of the reasons I prefer models over CGI. It just ages so much better.)

Then there's the fashions and the costumes.  Vorlon: Cool as fuck when I first saw Kosh.  When I see him now all I see is a mottled toilet seat with a flashlight.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: March 25, 2013, 09:50:03 AM

Exactly.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #338 on: March 25, 2013, 01:11:11 PM

Other than some stuttering, I think the B5 CGI holds up quite well. Costumes... well, I'm not sure costuming on any TV show holds up after a decade. Especially futuristic sci-fi of any kind. The unitards of TNG have always looked kind of stupid. B5's costumes are a bit low budget but the makeup and acting IN the makeup helps that a bit. The hairstyles and makeup on TOS are Prisoner-level of WTF sometimes - thank you 1960's and LSD. Watch any 1980's shows and be astounded how bad some of them look.

The B5 pilot did look terrible and of all of them, that's the one that really suffers from time's passage.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #339 on: March 25, 2013, 04:46:42 PM

End season 2 B5 to about first 1/3 season 4 is pretty good TV even if the effects and all that haven't aged well. Mostly good storytelling etc.  The bad episodes nestled in that run are almost worse than anything TNG, DS9, TOS could put up as competitors in the bad episodes, mostly because JMS when he's a bad writer is so excrutiatingly bad that nothing else compares (his comics are the same). But at its absolute peak, B5 is pretty much better than anything TNG or DS9 had to offer at the same time, even if their effects hold up better.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #340 on: March 25, 2013, 05:16:36 PM

Just fast forward anytime Londo and/or G'Kar aren't on screen, and you'll have a great experience.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: March 26, 2013, 04:26:05 AM

What, for me, hasn't held up about B5 is I know the story and a great deal of the series was figuring out exactly what was going on and what was going to happen, particularly since it was the first series I can remember to do any sort of long term story arc.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #342 on: March 26, 2013, 04:31:40 AM

If you'd read Lord of the Rings, the story didn't need figuring out.

why so serious?

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: March 26, 2013, 05:14:28 AM

At least Gandalf and the elves had the sense to fuck off when they weren't needed any more.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #344 on: March 26, 2013, 07:27:41 PM

Year of Hell was what the series should have been, and it was apparently originally planned as an actual year or season originally.

But that would've been interesting and successful, so they axed that idea  why so serious?

-edit- I am a member of team redundancy team.

Year of Hell was the epitome of what was wrong with Voyager.

"Let's tell an interesting story. Psyke! It didn't really happen!"  why so serious?

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #345 on: March 26, 2013, 07:32:21 PM

Well you obviously don't do the "lawl just a dream" ending and have them get home in the fucking rust bucket.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #346 on: March 27, 2013, 01:51:30 AM

If you'd read Lord of the Rings, the story didn't need figuring out.

why so serious?

Babylon 5 had marginally less homoerotic subtext.  awesome, for real

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #347 on: March 27, 2013, 04:14:26 AM

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #348 on: March 27, 2013, 04:51:13 AM

Ahahahahahah.

Thanks.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #349 on: March 27, 2013, 05:38:33 AM

I did say 'marginally'.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Trek: Into Darkness  
Jump to: