Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 17, 2024, 09:34:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Trek: Into Darkness 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek: Into Darkness  (Read 196207 times)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #770 on: September 04, 2013, 10:34:22 AM

əz lȯŋ əz thə wərd ī rīt māks thə sām sau̇nd hwen spō-kən, ī kən-ˈsi-dər it ā vik-t(ə-)rē  why so serious?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #771 on: September 04, 2013, 11:06:02 AM

As long as the word I write makes the same sound when spoken, I consider it a victory.   awesome, for real

I felt compelled to ignore the rest of your post and focus on a minor flaw, finding it highly ironic and illustrative of the original complaint to do so.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #772 on: September 04, 2013, 01:02:54 PM

People may get what you mean, but they tend to discredit your opinion if you look all unedjumacaded caus you're wrds dont loke rite.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #773 on: September 04, 2013, 02:35:02 PM

I'd like to right here and now coin the term 'grammar troll'.

Your welcome.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #774 on: September 04, 2013, 05:58:48 PM

Hic sunt dracones.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #775 on: September 04, 2013, 06:49:49 PM

Beaming to Kronos- they established that he used a transwarp transporter beam to get there, new fangle'd Geordi-style trek gear.

Transwarp beaming means beaming between ships that are traveling at warp speed, not beaming between planets on opposite ends of the quadrant.  If you can beam between systems, why the fuck do you ever bother with spaceships?
It's based on the thing Scotty invented in the last movie, but the plans were pilfered by Section 31 and used as the foundation of the site-to-site beaming tech Khan used after retrieving it from the little ship they stole. This was actually explained in the movie in three parts (which I only remember because I just saw it): first when Kirk zooms in on the footage of Khan retrieving the case from the downed ship, then when Marcus explained it to Kirk and finally later when Scotty is drunkbitching about Starfleet confiscating his ideas.

This doesn't mean this tech is commonplace. Only the super sekret guys had it. If I recall, in this era of Trek (even in this new timeline), beaming is something only super important people can do on Starfleet business. Or maybe that's just the plot rationale they use to explain why nobody seems to have emergency beam out systems in like, say, a fucking conference room of ranking Starfleet brass that suddenly comes under terrorist attack  awesome, for real
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #776 on: September 04, 2013, 06:56:51 PM

You are thinking about the tech and its implications way fucking more than anyone involved in the movie ever did. It was lazy writing.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #777 on: September 04, 2013, 07:25:08 PM

But but but it had lens flares and some woman in her underwear!!!

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #778 on: September 05, 2013, 01:41:55 AM

Yes, but I haven't seen the film, yet I've seen the woman in her underwear.

I win, I think.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #779 on: September 05, 2013, 09:25:27 AM

Yes.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #780 on: September 05, 2013, 09:41:44 AM

Heh F13 is unrivaled in its ability to throw out negative opinions about practically anything. But don't you think bitching about a movie you haven't even seen is a little over the top?
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #781 on: September 05, 2013, 09:51:29 AM

I'd like to right here and now coin the term 'grammar troll'.

Your welcome.
Then nobody else better use my welcome.  MINE!  My .... precious.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #782 on: September 05, 2013, 09:54:11 AM

Heh F13 is unrivaled in its ability to throw out negative opinions about practically anything. But don't you think bitching about a movie you haven't even seen is a little over the top?

You're right. We should be bitching about a movie that hasn't even come out yet. BEN AFLECK!!

Hic sunt dracones.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #783 on: September 05, 2013, 10:22:38 AM

You are thinking about the tech and its implications way fucking more than anyone involved in the movie ever did. It was lazy writing.
No. My point was that this one gripe is not valid because they did explain it in the movie. There's a lot worse in the movie to complain about.

And my second paragraph, i agree with you, but that's more about lazy writing across the entire franchise than this one movie smiley
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #784 on: September 05, 2013, 10:35:01 AM

But don't you think bitching about a movie you haven't even seen is a little over the top?

You mean me ?  I'm not sure I did....

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #785 on: September 05, 2013, 11:45:27 AM

We do it for games we haven't played, why would we stop there?  tongue

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #786 on: September 05, 2013, 01:31:30 PM

But don't you think bitching about a movie you haven't even seen is a little over the top?

No. Any other stupid fucking questions?

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #787 on: September 05, 2013, 01:41:33 PM

#1- Which space? Enterprise and Vengeance were on the very edge of the Neutral Zone iirc, not in orbit above Kronos. I assume the ship they used to disguise themselves as Smugglers (which was a wasted subplot opportunity) didn't make them seems as obvious enemy at first.
#2- see above.
#3- see above, they weren't in orbit.
#4- this one I totally agree with. It didn't bother me much though. I don't remember how many ships they had after the Narada took care of them, but it didn't seem like they had many at the Space Station either.
#5- Didn't bother me in Wrath of Khan either. In both cases it seemed like they just didn't plan on either ever having that problem, or only solving it by evacuating or ejecting the warp core or establishing a level infinite force field or whatever.
#6- I didn't mind the holodeck malfunctions at the time. The Moriarity ones were kinda fun.

1. I should have been more clear, I meant the airspace around starfleet headquarters when they are having the meeting in response to the London bombing. The gunship Khan steals just flies up with no response, blasting away for minutes. We do a better job of restricting airspace now, and put up defensive batteries in really high security areas.

3. OK fine, but you'd think they would be scanning the neutral zone. I thought I remembered them moving in and then breaking down.

4. The fight was beside the moon, so pretty damn close and one would assume in close range of the Earth defence grid. Also at the meeting that took place at event #1, they said it was for all starship captains in the area and there was about a dozen attendees. Even if half the attendees were first officers too, that still leaves like 5-6 ships in area, on alert after the facility bombing.

I'm not trying to get into some nerd rage here, I'm not even a huge star trek fan, and I'm not trying to overthink the tech, I just sat down to watch a 200$ million budget movie and was slapped in the face by these gaping plot holes that can be picked apart so easily is just insulting to the viewer and sloppy writing. Something I would be annoyed at in any production be it star trek or a theatrical play.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #788 on: September 05, 2013, 03:14:17 PM

Regarding #1, I get the impression that Star Trek Earth is supposed to be all Happy One World Utopian Government so there might not be any groups they think they need to protect themselves against in that sense.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #789 on: September 05, 2013, 07:35:02 PM

Regarding #1, I get the impression that Star Trek Earth is supposed to be all Happy One World Utopian Government so there might not be any groups they think they need to protect themselves against in that sense.
Yes.  The history only changes at Kirk's birth, not before. So Zephram Cochrine, the 21st century hell, WW3 etc are all still part of the mythos.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #790 on: September 06, 2013, 01:01:33 PM

Yes.  The history only changes at Kirk's birth, not before. So Zephram Cochrine, the 21st century hell, WW3 etc are all still part of the mythos.

Does that mean Jonathan Frakes exists in this timeline? They should do that in the next movie, go back in time to the point of First contact and have a next generation/borg/JJ Abrams monster mash up!

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #791 on: September 06, 2013, 01:10:37 PM

How about a movie about ragetag group of OS,TNG,DS actors go back in time to sabotage the Lost pilot in the hopes to save Star Trek.

"Me am play gods"
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #792 on: September 06, 2013, 08:16:00 PM

The whole time travel thing does fall apart if you think about it too much, as the changes in the first JJ movie meant that nothing in the first series or next generation ever took place, including the Time Tunnel episode, the trip of the Enterprise into the 70s, Data going back to meet Mark Twain, or any of the other stuff.  It is also unclear why that group of Time Police from Voyager or Enterprise didn't go back and fix things.  It is almost.... almost... like this is just fiction.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #793 on: September 09, 2013, 01:51:59 PM

I watched this. It was a good movie. It was far, far, far from the worst star trek movie. Honestly, I think it's an even tie with Wrath of Khan. Those people nitpicking about relatively minor plot holes need to take off their blinders and have a hard look at at everything with the Star Trek name on it that's come before. Comparatively the problems with this movie are very small.

The thing that bugged me the most is what always bugs me. Why the fuck doesn't anyone put fuses or circuit breakers in stuff. I realize it's not as cool to have a panel go dark instead of EXPLODE WITH ELECTRICITY, but ffs when the interior of a space ship looks like it's made of sparklers it's just too much.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #794 on: September 10, 2013, 06:52:04 PM

I watched this. It was a good movie. It was far, far, far from the worst star trek movie. Honestly, I think it's an even tie with Wrath of Khan. Those people nitpicking about relatively minor plot holes need to take off their blinders and have a hard look at at everything with the Star Trek name on it that's come before. Comparatively the problems with this movie are very small.

The thing that bugged me the most is what always bugs me. Why the fuck doesn't anyone put fuses or circuit breakers in stuff. I realize it's not as cool to have a panel go dark instead of EXPLODE WITH ELECTRICITY, but ffs when the interior of a space ship looks like it's made of sparklers it's just too much.
That's because circuits are for pussies. Those things that explode? Energy conduits. That's not some "electricity" flowing down a "wire" like some sort of cave man. That's a flowing, pulsating river of pure power that's barely constrained by matter.

No seriously, that's about the explanation.

I like the one in Redshirts better -- more specifically, the captain's reaction after the 'scene' was over. "And can we get someone from engineering up here to look at this? Damn consoles shouldn't be exploding from a simple power surge." (Seriously, the best parts of Redshirts -- besides the entire aside about the Ice Sharks -- was the comments of people outside of a scene on how stupid things were inside the scene. Like exploding consoles, lack of seat belts, the crappy inertial dampers that don't seem to work reliably....and why Chekov-analogue doesn't have PTSD from being nearly killed so many times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #795 on: September 10, 2013, 07:29:57 PM

They're "plasma conduits", which I guess there isn't anything like a circuit breaker for?  Although you'd think if the stuff was that dangerous they'd step it down somehow before it got to the consoles.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #796 on: September 11, 2013, 04:29:11 PM

But then you wouldn't have stuff exploding to show that Serious Shit Is Happening.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #797 on: September 12, 2013, 02:51:34 AM

I watched this. It was a good movie. It was far, far, far from the worst star trek movie.

It's a fine sci-fi action movie. It's a terrible Star Trek movie at the same time.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #798 on: September 13, 2013, 06:37:35 AM

I'd rather that we end this movie series and we saw a real reboot on TV that was truer to the source material. I just don't like the options left for storytelling in a universe with cross galaxy transporting, ressurection, and no understanding of the lore of Star Trek.

Space. The final frontier. These are the voyages....

That last word really hits why this concept works as a series better than a movie. The characters, the 'science', and all the other aspects of Star Trek were built to work in episodic television.  You can utilize them in a movie, but they work best on TV. The critique of the next gen movies was that they seemed too much like episodes... which was a factor of them being too true to the universe. The flip has been true of these movies.   To make them films, they lost the essence of trek.

I think you can make good Trek films. And a Trek film seems more profitable, but I think from a perspective of best use of the IP, TV is a better medium. Too bad $ always wins.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #799 on: September 13, 2013, 07:12:22 AM

After Enterprise flopped they decided it was  time to retire ST series from the air for a while.  Never mind the flop wasn't because of "Star Trek" fatigue* as much as 'what the fuck is this?' from Trekkies as it tried to be what the new series is vs. the original series.**   I wouldn't expect to even hear it discussed for another 3-4 years, minimum. 

Then there's the whole "fewer people watching TV" thing.

*There had been one or two ST series on-air for 17 years straight at that point. I recall people kicking around, "oh everyone's just tired of Star Trek" when it was flailing.

** You can see the steady march from hard Sci-Fi to "SCI-FI ACTION Soap-Opera" as you go through the IP progression.  TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #800 on: September 13, 2013, 07:26:15 AM

After Enterprise flopped they decided it was  time to retire ST series from the air for a while.  Never mind the flop wasn't because of "Star Trek" fatigue* as much as 'what the fuck is this?' from Trekkies as it tried to be what the new series is vs. the original series.**   I wouldn't expect to even hear it discussed for another 3-4 years, minimum.  

Then there's the whole "fewer people watching TV" thing.

*There had been one or two ST series on-air for 17 years straight at that point. I recall people kicking around, "oh everyone's just tired of Star Trek" when it was flailing.

** You can see the steady march from hard Sci-Fi to "SCI-FI ACTION Soap-Opera" as you go through the IP progression.  TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise.

There was definitely Star Trek fatigue but it is hard to argue that Enterprise wasn't very good. From the horrible, horrible theme song to such ridiculous things as ret-conning Orion slave girls to be the true 'masters' in their society Enterprise was just pretty bad.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 04:24:51 PM by Riggswolfe »

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #801 on: September 13, 2013, 07:51:12 AM

It's very easy to argue that Enterprise wasn't all that good.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #802 on: September 13, 2013, 09:10:30 AM

Fatigue is BS.  If you don't like it, it was because it sucked, not because you're in need of a nap.  If they made a good Star Trek show, it'd be a success. It would only benefit from an established universe with established rules.  However, a bad show (see Voyager and Enterprise) will such despite the advantages of the established universe. 

From what I've heard, I think Enterprise was doomed by the studio.  I've heard a lot of stories about the original design of the show, and it sounded a heck of a lot more interesting than what was put on the screen.  Voyager, on the other hand, never had a chance given the starting cast - only one person in that cast had anything to offer as an actor, and the only improvements they made to the cast had nothing to do with acting. 

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #803 on: September 13, 2013, 09:18:39 AM

Voyager's cast was ok - even the CONCEPT was a decent take on the universe. But it was saddled from the get-go with totally shit stories that no one could have acted well with. I mean, I tried to stick with it but after like 2 seasons, I just couldn't take it anymore. And really, the only reason I watched it second season was it came on before Babylon 5 and my buddies and I would hang out on Saturday nights to watch B5 and that was something that soaked up an hour.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #804 on: September 13, 2013, 09:28:28 AM

It's very easy to argue that Enterprise wasn't all that good.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to defend it in any way. I hope that came across.

Just stating that ST is done on the TV, possibly forever. Enterprise killed it, bullshit reason was given. Fans get action movies and nothing more for a good, long while. (And if it came back to TV it would be THIS Star Trek, so action TV series, not Sci-Fi.)

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Trek: Into Darkness  
Jump to: