Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:40:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: World War Z 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World War Z  (Read 27673 times)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #140 on: June 21, 2013, 03:16:04 PM

It's a PG-13 rated zombie movie.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: June 21, 2013, 03:25:14 PM

Really, it's a good generic zombie movie.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #142 on: June 21, 2013, 03:26:39 PM

I've seen it. PG-13 rated zombie movie is about as succinct a review as I can give.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: June 21, 2013, 08:50:57 PM

You know my only real problem with this movie?  The title. 

As a generic zombie film with a world view twist I rather enjoyed it. I'm still holding out hope for a tv spin off 'tales from world war z'

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: June 21, 2013, 08:53:06 PM

Oh and I say there needs to be an Oscar category for chattering teeth guy.  why so serious?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: June 22, 2013, 02:14:06 PM

A decent zombie movie.  A bad World War Z movie.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: June 22, 2013, 05:21:58 PM

I appreciate this movie for making me read the book, very much enjoyed it, and realised immediately it would become an action movie in the hands of hollywood which I can do without.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: June 22, 2013, 05:50:56 PM

The book is slow, pretentious and overly political. It is a good read, but if the movie is "pretty good" then I'd put them about on par - even if it is in entirely different ways.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #148 on: June 22, 2013, 05:58:59 PM

Just like any movie, there was no way book people would like it.

Friend got back from it, she liked the VFX, thought the ending was terrible.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: June 22, 2013, 06:06:13 PM

The book was good because the it was looking backward, from multiple viewpoints, on a global scale pandemic. The focus is on the collapse of the complex human structures we depend on rather than the zombies.

... another zombie action movie? If it's about grabbing your guns and defending yourself I'd rather play it as a game, and that's already been done.

- Simond
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: June 22, 2013, 06:32:11 PM

I agree, and as a book person, I'm starting to wonder why Hollywood even bothers licensing IPs only to deviate so strongly from them. It's either arrogance in thinking that the new Vision is superior to the original, or a shameless bait and switch. If you don't expect book readers to actually enjoy the movie, why bother paying for the rights?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: June 22, 2013, 06:48:14 PM

I agree, and as a book person, I'm starting to wonder why Hollywood even bothers licensing IPs only to deviate so strongly from them. It's either arrogance in thinking that the new Vision is superior to the original, or a shameless bait and switch. If you don't expect book readers to actually enjoy the movie, why bother paying for the rights?

Most likely they do it just for the name. 
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: June 22, 2013, 07:04:35 PM

Even by Hollywood standards this sticks out as really throwing the whole book out. It's not taking liberties, it's just nothing whatsoever from the book. I mean, the main character in the movie isn't even in the book. This isn't "omg no Tom Bombadil." This is "omg no hobbits, Gandalf, or a ring." I think only the James Bond movies have such a disconnect from the book and they don't even pretend they're adapting anything.

Still, it's one of the better zombie movies in a while and I enjoyed it. In some ways it may have been more enjoyable because you didn't have to think about what they did to the book because they just tossed it out.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: June 22, 2013, 07:44:44 PM

I agree, and as a book person, I'm starting to wonder why Hollywood even bothers licensing IPs only to deviate so strongly from them.

I remember an argument that it's because the people who give the go-ahead are very risk averse. Which is also a function of how much money is going to be spent of course. So if you can say, "It was a hit book with a lot of public interest" it's a safe bet as compared to "we're going to make another zombie movie the public knows nothing about" not so much. Same reason most of the big budget games are iterations on a franchise.

The idea that they dumped the script that got them approval immediately after getting the go ahead just means they were more transparent than usual.

- Simond
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: June 22, 2013, 08:04:09 PM

The book is slow, pretentious and overly political. It is a good read, but if the movie is "pretty good" then I'd put them about on par - even if it is in entirely different ways.

Yes.  While parts of the book are decent, it's basically wrapped around a fairly partisan (and completely fuck-stupid) political message.  The writing is also exceptionally juvenile, though most zombie works from Romero on to Mira Grant suffer from the same issue.

The book was good because the it was looking backward, from multiple viewpoints, on a global scale pandemic. The focus is on the collapse of the complex human structures we depend on rather than the zombies.

... another zombie action movie? If it's about grabbing your guns and defending yourself I'd rather play it as a game, and that's already been done.

The book didn't have multiple viewpoints, or focus on the collapse of human structures.  The book had the classic zombie apocalypse Act II problem (credit to GRR Martin) while also sounding like one guy badly writing multiple viewpoints.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #155 on: June 22, 2013, 08:35:09 PM

TBH, I thought the Stand did a much better job of taking shots at the government and overall breakdown of society in a apocalypse, and that didn't have zombies in it.

Then again, it's not hard to point out that human society and governments are short-sighted, badly run, assholes. Plato pointed it out over 2,000 years ago several times.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: June 23, 2013, 01:29:48 AM

Yes.  While parts of the book are decent, it's basically wrapped around a fairly partisan (and completely fuck-stupid) political message.  The writing is also exceptionally juvenile, though most zombie works from Romero on to Mira Grant suffer from the same issue.

The book didn't have multiple viewpoints, or focus on the collapse of human structures.  The book had the classic zombie apocalypse Act II problem (credit to GRR Martin) while also sounding like one guy badly writing multiple viewpoints.

Oh good, glad you jumped in. Stoped me having to type as much.

Especially agree on the "one guy badly writing multiple viewpints". It aspired to be "one guy reporting multiple viewpoints" but never ever got close to achieving such a thing; it was extremely limited in scope and expression given its aims.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 01:33:05 AM by lamaros »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: June 23, 2013, 02:36:57 AM

Facepalm

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: June 23, 2013, 04:53:20 AM

Just watched it, thought it was pretty good for a zombie movie.  The way the zombie's swarmed and climbed over each other reminded me of footage I have seen of mice plagues.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #159 on: June 23, 2013, 09:25:46 AM

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Ubvman
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: June 26, 2013, 08:03:54 PM

Steven Spielberg's Jaws (the movie) deviated pretty significantly from Peter Benchley's Jaws (the book).

Some might say (me for example) that the movie is a significant improvement over the book.  awesome, for real  why so serious?

Reserving judgement over the zombie movie until I get around to seeing it. I have the book on iPad, read the first chapter - it's a fascinating read.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: June 27, 2013, 03:38:29 AM

Steven Spielberg's Jaws (the movie) deviated pretty significantly from Peter Benchley's Jaws (the book).

I would disagree with that though.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: June 27, 2013, 11:17:33 AM

Think Jaws and the main character in the film is Chrissie Watkins (the girl who gets munched at the start) brother, who's a famous big game hunter and goes out with the navy seal team to kill the shark. That's how off WWZ is from the book.

Since I work for a small resort towns government, I have a huge appreciation of how much they "got it" about how things work and the vast resources we have at our disposal. Our old harbor master looked and acted like Quint and One of the retired Selectmen is a spot on double physically and temperamentally for the mayor. Great movie and a really good blurry conversion fwiw.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: June 27, 2013, 02:53:50 PM

I have to say I'd appreciate the movie more if it wasn't called World War Z, but you know whatever Hollywood.

I think what saved this movie was not being rated R. At least I'm wasn't treated to the site of idiots in a zombie movie being torn apart for 30 minuites. It blew past fast and forgettable and ultimately left a good taste in my mouth.

For those who are wondering what the movie got right or wrong compared to the source material

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: June 27, 2013, 03:18:37 PM

Good points all, but I still liked it. I just want WWZ. But hey, I've wanted Logan's Run since I was still "blue," so oh well.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: June 27, 2013, 04:29:28 PM

It may be heresy but I found the circumstances of the zombie virus, how it spread , fast zombies ( sometimes) etc actually a lot more plausible than even the book (and I loved the book).  I could never quite reconcile how a plague could spread that widely from slow zombies with a disease that took several days to incubate. (Never mind don't zombies eat their victims?  Which ones do they eat and not eat?)

I shall now wait for the zombie gods to strike me down.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: June 27, 2013, 09:14:56 PM

In the books a critical mass of zombies eat their victims. Mostly because their victims are overwhelmed. Normal victims get away, think their fine, and start interacting with the population, spreading the disease unintentionally, I.E sharing the same tooth brush, having sex, even organ transplants, and then finally start showing symptoms in most cases they end up attacking love ones who think their son/daughter wife/husband contracted a really bad flu. Worst case scenario they turn in a hospital, turning the entire place into ground zero for an outbreak. The point being the infection was initially really slow and got faster over time (think really long time and after jumping several continents). General ignorance, government propaganda or straight up lies (China refused to admit that zombies existed period), and third world governments who lacked the resources to spread information fast enough or to deal with the situation quick enough. There was also initial or perceived success against the zombie plague during the start of the war, every first world nation sent their rainbow six teams to quickly deal with the zombies, making the general populace really ignorant and complacent (there was an asshole selling a new rabies vaccine as a cure for zombie bites and possible infection) , which allowed the plague to spread along the east coast silently and with little fuss.   
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: June 28, 2013, 02:35:22 AM

Pretty much what MH said.  A lot of Americans With Guns think the whole thing is utter bullshit, mostly because they're Americans With Guns, but I find it entirely plausible.

Watch this film and then imagine that the disease also spreads by mobile victims that are also extremely hard to kill.  The point about the Zombie Virus in most Zombie stories is that there is an incubation period, as well as Extreme Psychological Impact for the Victims and Soon to Be Victims.

This is why I find 'fast' zombies just to be bollocks.  If you look at a film like 28 days later, it's clear that they had to give it a precisely ZERO incubation period because if it had any, the world was over.  I mean, totally and utterly doomed.  Fast Zombies or Psychos would just destroy everything.  It'd be like indestructible locust clouds.

Anyway, we've done this before so I'll shut up.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: June 28, 2013, 05:29:16 AM

Not really. Fast zombies would never be allowed to reach critical mass. It would literally be too hard to contain and to hide, even the local cops would notice and the general public will overreact. For one a fast zombie wouldn't let his victims get away. I.E contact with the virus from infected would result in being torn apart. Less chances of the victim caring the virus without showing symptoms because the victim would be ripped apart. Lack of stealth. Slow zombies sound easier to deal with, but they also don't make a lot of noise. You can infect an entire apartment building with very few people knowing the wiser, until its too late. In which case a fast zombie will be all over the internet, #guy on pcp won't die, #omg woman eating bf face literally. Sure if fast zombies reach critical mass, we're fucked but they also make too much noise for us not to notice.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: June 28, 2013, 06:00:06 AM

No.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: June 28, 2013, 06:19:02 AM

I think fast zombie spread in 28 days where it starts with a patient zero and spreads extremly quickly and easily, but only up to physical borders is pretty reasonable. Also because it wasn't just the active infected, but also just their remains that could cause an infection.

WW-Z the book makes sense because it spreads extremely slowly. It starts in rural China, in regions without strong government control and with poor public health, but it takes months for even them to begin to notice it. Then it spreads outside the country largely through smuggling and at first only takes hold in similar third world countries. As per wikipedia it's 7 years between infection and the Aircraft Carrier Saratoga conference and even then there are lots of areas holding out, including entire countries. That seems reasonable and I think the methods Brooks lays out seem like a logical way things could spread.

Fast zombies breaking out worldwide all within the same as per the movie seems very unrealistic. It was still a fun movie though.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #171 on: June 28, 2013, 07:39:54 AM

Fast zombies aren't zombies. They don't represent any of the things that the zombie concept have. Fast zombie movies have always elicited more of a "getting chased by a pack of wolves" feeling than anything else.

That aside, fast infection zombies just don't work as far as spreading very well. Any sort of vehicle that would let it spread faster than walking speed would be over run and crash in a fireball in about half an hour.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: June 28, 2013, 07:53:16 PM

This surprised me how much I enjoyed it. If it was called ANYTHING but World War Z, it would have taken my single biggest complaint away.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #173 on: June 29, 2013, 08:19:44 AM

This surprised me how much I enjoyed it. If it was called ANYTHING but World War Z, it would have taken my single biggest complaint away.

I started calling it Apocalypse: Zed and it worked out for me.

The book is one of my all time favorites and I managed to enjoy the film.
Ubvman
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: July 01, 2013, 01:01:40 AM

I saw the movie the other night. It was pretty enjoyable.

I agree; book lovers should just imagine the name of the movie as "Apocalypse: ZED, starring Brad Pitt", not "World War Z by Max Brooks."

This is not so much spoilery as the background on the making of the movie.
I have read about the original ending for the movie, big chunks of it already being filmed before the execs (and probably Brad Pitt) knew that it would not have worked.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: World War Z  
Jump to: