Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:45:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 662292 times)
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #2310 on: July 13, 2020, 01:15:05 PM

I'm going to guess OEVASY SG-Y D0 - Beagle Point, per his images a couple posts up.  There probably are carriers going there and back to Colonia on a regular basis.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2311 on: July 19, 2020, 07:14:24 AM

Damn you all.. I had to break out he HOTAS to fire up this game after a 2 year recess. Lots of new shit to learn....

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2312 on: July 22, 2020, 06:53:30 PM

So how much is a carrier anyway? Both to buy and to maintain? I haven't played since just before they released. 

I have played a fair amount of No Man's Sky recently. It's not the laughable empty shell of a prototype of a proof-of-concept it launched as, and it has a lot of different fun and interesting things to do in the game. Much more than E:D.  But I hate it's graphics, and pretty much everything in space is, at best, a super-simple arcade game, at worst a sad cartoony joke.  I'd love to have a cross between E:D and NMS, with E:D's graphics and physics and spaceflight simulator and stellar forge and mapping, but with something like NMS's quests and crafting and base building and mining and overall planetary experience.  Oh, and without E:D's square star clusters.  I find I like NMS more the less time I spend in my spaceship. Which is a really sad thing to say about a space travel game!

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2313 on: July 23, 2020, 08:30:55 AM

I'm still on the other side of the galaxy in an Asp Explorer, having made only a few hundred jumps towards home since becoming a father a year ago.

I'm determined not to use the explodey means of getting home, as I have possibly billions worth of exploration data on board. But when I left, the Krait Phantom was brand new and Supercruise Assist wasn't in the game yet.

gimme your current location and i'll see which fleet carrier is nearest you with shipyard or outfitting

Thanks - sorry for the long delay on replying. I avoid logging into Elite Dangerous if I'm very tired as I'll just fall asleep and crash my ship into a sun... and that's how life has been lately. Logged in tonight and I was in PYRIE EURK AS-J C22-0
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #2314 on: July 30, 2020, 08:04:23 PM

I'm still on the other side of the galaxy in an Asp Explorer, having made only a few hundred jumps towards home since becoming a father a year ago.

I'm determined not to use the explodey means of getting home, as I have possibly billions worth of exploration data on board. But when I left, the Krait Phantom was brand new and Supercruise Assist wasn't in the game yet.

gimme your current location and i'll see which fleet carrier is nearest you with shipyard or outfitting

Thanks - sorry for the long delay on replying. I avoid logging into Elite Dangerous if I'm very tired as I'll just fall asleep and crash my ship into a sun... and that's how life has been lately. Logged in tonight and I was in PYRIE EURK AS-J C22-0

Checking
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #2315 on: July 30, 2020, 08:26:10 PM

Your nearest is the DSSA Distant Worlds [V2W-85Z] currently hard stationed at Beagle Point. it has Refuel, Repair, Armoury, Redemption Office, Shipyard, Outfitting, Secure Warehouse, UC and won't ever move as long as it is part of DSSA

There is also DSSA Tartarus [XBQ-LVV] at EISHAW DB-W E2-0

So how much is a carrier anyway? Both to buy and to maintain? I haven't played since just before they released.

5 billion to buy, then you can keep purchasing upgrades for its stock availability. They cost some millions each week, but as long as mining hauls are as serious as they are, you can earn yourself a year of operating costs in ... like, a week or two
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2316 on: July 31, 2020, 07:11:03 PM

so, millions per week upkeep ... does that accrue while you are offline or only while playing? I'm not buying into something that will go poof on me if I don't log in regularly to keep it fed.  I'm old enough to know myself and know that not only do I have a short attention span, but I *really* resent being forced to login just to maintain something I've already earned.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2317 on: August 01, 2020, 07:37:33 AM

I have the impression that Frontier have put that in as a cash sink to drain the stupid amounts of money out of the economy. Which is frankly dumb. I think they probably fear a player revolt if the mining rewards were kicked down to a rational level

Personally, I don't think I would go near one for that reason.

Hic sunt dracones.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #2318 on: August 01, 2020, 09:12:14 AM

I really liked Elite: Dangerous. I haven't played it in quite some time because it strayed too far into the "work at it like a second job" to have anything cool territory.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2319 on: August 01, 2020, 02:53:18 PM

Everyone wanting to fly around in their own personal guild hall is the problem, not the upkeep.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2320 on: August 01, 2020, 08:23:25 PM

Well, I'll admit they are just another "meaningless" mudflation symptom if everyone has one.  But I'm not sure that's entirely a bad thing. I'm not much of a fan of epeen elitist bragging rights bullshit. And I couldn't care less about having my own "guild hall" with respect to something designed for multiple players.  However, I was REALLY liking the idea of hauling my small collection of ships around, even out into some lonely back corner of the galaxy somewhere. I would MUCH prefer a mechanic that makes moving one very expensive, but just owning one would only require a small maintenance fee which only applied when you were actually online or maybe each time you launch from it or something.  Again, no way am I getting hooked into a scenario where I could lose the damn thing and all my investment if I lost interest or got busy IRL for a few months.  If that happened, I for sure would never play again, nor ever give them any more money. As it is, it's quite possible I may well never give them any more money anyway solely because that mechanic is there blocking my access to something I would otherwise likely very much enjoy. 

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2321 on: August 02, 2020, 11:22:40 AM

Everyone wanting to fly around in their own personal guild hall is the problem, not the upkeep.

Why?

If the game's content is structured around having a variety of ships that need to be moved around a galaxy, why is it a problem that lots of people can do it?

Elite's problem is keeping up with players consuming content. Exploration and procedural galaxy is a great trick for it. If they can fill that galaxy with shit to do it makes sense for players to have a way to haul their shit to the content.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2322 on: August 02, 2020, 03:38:48 PM

Not saying you are wrong but you could already pay for your ships to be moved to a station, so there already was a way in game

Hic sunt dracones.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2323 on: August 02, 2020, 04:37:41 PM

Not saying you are wrong but you could already pay for your ships to be moved to a station, so there already was a way in game

[you could only summon ships, not send ships]
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2324 on: August 02, 2020, 05:24:35 PM

[you could only summon ships, not send ships]

and only to existing stations, not to your own private corner of the black

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #2325 on: August 02, 2020, 06:02:51 PM

And billions aren't really that much, once you've bootstrapped into your first serious ship, making any arbitrary amount doesn't take that long. I could probably buy a carrier with the data I'm sitting on from my wanderings in the deep black. I've been stockpiling them by accident, just not cashing in except for faction rep.

Or, like 20 hours sucking up Low Temperature Diamonds.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Terracotta Army

Reply #2326 on: August 02, 2020, 06:39:46 PM

Like the changes to exploring... so nice not having to fly to each and every planet. But flying out to see a black hole I remembered why I never got into exploring... whole lotta nothing with the occasional cool screenshot moment. And worse than that is having to fly all the way back in order to do anything else the game offers.

As for Carriers - no thanks. It's nothing but a money sink and I am not invested enough to work for the upkeep. I liked having come back after a year or so and having everything right where I left it - considering this game burns me out pretty quick at times. I am having a blast revamping my Cutter/Conda/Python/Clipper. Even dabbling with kitting out a Vulture just to merit farm for Powerplay for the packhounds. I did the prismatic grind by doing the postal supply carrying for smurfette and now really only use Bi-weaves... still, have a 4,5,6 engineered prismatics for a trader if I ever see fit to do that.  I do hate the 4 week waiting period, but meh...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #2327 on: August 06, 2020, 11:00:09 AM

Billions aren't that much, if you have them.

Recent changes to mining reduced the amounts found in hotspots, and without that one diamond asteroid, it's back to more reasonable levels.  

But they also fixed the station supply and demand for commodities, so you can't SELL your diamonds, at least not for 1.6 or even 1.1 million per.  400k per ton, sure.  

Anyway, as a side-effect, the supplies of tritium priced at 4k have been bought out, and the supplies at 30-40k are diminishing.  Colonia had very few stations; the carriers there basically wiped out all NPC sources of tritium.  

You pretty much have to mine your tritium for your carrier now.

20,000 tons of tritium for a trip to Colonia and back.  About 800 million to 1 billion credits to buy the Tritium, if you're in the Bubble.  Or mine it at approximately 150 tons per hour (if you find a hotspot), if you're not in the Bubble.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 11:04:19 AM by ajax34i »
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2328 on: January 10, 2021, 09:43:58 PM

Rise, Chicken!

https://www.elitedangerous.com/odyssey/

I can put boots on the ground? Hell yeah.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2329 on: January 11, 2021, 09:29:26 AM

Very excited about it. The shooting though? I am afraid it will be underwhelming and a waste of development time. Hopefully not.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #2330 on: January 12, 2021, 01:16:18 AM

Very excited about it. The shooting though? I am afraid it will be underwhelming and a waste of development time. Hopefully not.

My guess would be that the whole shooting thing is just to rub it in for Star Citizen though I'm sure they won't admit to that.  why so serious?
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2331 on: January 13, 2021, 05:22:20 AM

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2332 on: January 15, 2021, 07:40:24 AM

Our PC plans have only been affected by a small amount

Barely.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2333 on: February 16, 2021, 11:05:03 PM

Steam records that I finally managed to put another 9.8 hours into flying back from beyond Beagle Point towards Sag A.

The mess of bookmarks on the far left is the Beagle Point area. The mess on the far right is the bubble, with Sag A in the middle of the central mass of stars, of course. I've added a red arrow to show how far I've got in about 20 months of parenthood.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 11:10:32 PM by Tale »
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #2334 on: February 21, 2021, 11:35:11 PM

So, a while back I picked up Elite: Dangerous as a freebie through the Epic Game store, and finally got around to installing it and taking it for a spin.

Couple of hours later I am at least moderately comfortable toolin around the local starter systems, though I don't think I am going to try anything combat related with how crazy it is attempting accurate flight with a mouse.

That being said, any advice for a complete noob? Right now, I am basically just running courier missions and "find and retrieve data modules in space junk" missions for the locals while I try to figure out where I need to go to get a ship I can mount a mining laser on.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #2335 on: February 24, 2021, 08:12:48 PM

Well, after a few more hours messing around, I have come to two conclusions:         
- Combat with a mouse isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be (still pretty janky compared to what flying with a stick must be like, but at least manageable.)                           
- Whoever designed the mining system in this game needs to be beaten with a club.........

Like, for the love of god, please tell me mining gets less tedious or there are modules out there that make the experience somewhat more enjoyable than wiping my ass with sandpaper.

I grabbed some mining lasers, a refiner module, and a limpet controller (since the mining codex recommended it).  Spent like 15 minutes trying to figure out where to buy limpets from because the game apparently doesn't re-stock stock "ammo" for special equipment when you click the easy restock button on the main docking widget.

Then I spent another like 4 hours in the newb system trying to refine 2 units of Smarium, which apparently is rarer than hell.   Cant figure out if there is a way to scan asteroids to see what their content is, so I just ended up wandering around this asteroid belt for an eternity blasting random asteroids hoping to get the mineral I was looking for off them.   And then the resource collection system is like it was freaking designed by a sadist.   I have to manually cargo scoop shit by ever so carefully flying into it? Seriously?  Oh, but you can get around that with Collector Limpets.  Except limpet drones are CONSUMABLE, 1 time use fuckers?  So I have to fill my cargo hold with these things and then burn them all to, if I am lucky, collect enough asteroid chunks to get 2 units of minerals?

Like who the fuck thought that was a good idea?  Do tractor beams not exist?  Or at the very least, don't make the goddamned drones one time use garbage that take up an entire cargo space individually.......

Unless things get significantly better with some magical equipment upgrades I am missing, I don't think I will ever touch mining again.......

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2336 on: February 24, 2021, 11:01:43 PM

I've been hoping someone else would help you out, because I've been on an exploration expedition (including a gap where I didn't play much) since 2019 and my knowledge is rusty. I haven't even used the current mining system much, or the newbie system (in the old days you just started in LHS 3447 inside the main game), and I don't bother using any codex. There are ships and modules that I've never seen, because they were introduced after I headed into the black! But here goes.

1. I've been playing with a mouse and keyboard for 1682 hours, so I regard it as fine for PvE and exploring and general tooling around. Tweak the key bindings to whatever works for you. Just don't expect any success in PvP. Gankers use HOTAS and VR headset and fully-engineered ships and live and breathe the game.

2. This is the revised mining system! The old one was the tedious one. There is a way to scan asteroids to see their content: a prospector limpet controller. Basically you fire one into the asteroid and it tells you what's in it. Regarding the collector limpets: they're designed for collection of everything, not just mining (e.g. resources that fall off ships you kill). They are single use in that you get to fire them once, but they have a long lifespan if you're using them the right way, i.e. you move along to the next asteroid with the same collector limpets following you around. I can't remember how to do that exactly, but the other thing I can add is that the new mining system also has the ability blow the fucking asteroid up completely and gather the pieces. Lasers are the old way.

And tractor beams don't exist because it's Expanse-type "sort of realistic" sci-fi where Star Trek-ish stuff won't ever exist. Having to bring along a lot of limpets and use them up doesn't really bother you later when you've got a decent-sized cargo hold. The journey to wealth and bigger ships is now shorter than it used to be, so don't worry too much about what you can and can't do in the little ships.

Find what you enjoy! You don't have to mine if you don't like it. Oh except for Painite. There's an important engineer later who wants stupid amounts of Painite in order to unlock their services. That's many people's experience of mining :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 11:28:12 PM by Tale »
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2337 on: March 04, 2021, 07:53:30 PM

Sorry I missed this earlier. Reddit has a fantastic mining community with top notch guides and info. https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteMiners/wiki/index is a good place to start, along with anything else on the right sidebar.  There are two functionally useful methods of mining, laser and core, and you need to outfit your ship differently depending on which you want to use.  It's all spelled out on their site.

I also went M&K, and don't regret it. The key was remapping almost everything to get a functional keyboard layout. I can't find my original link, but I think https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=478686362 might be it or is really close. I tweaked a couple things but it's a great starting point.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2338 on: March 05, 2021, 09:01:41 AM

IMHO Odyssey PvE looks Not Good.
Terracotta Army

Reply #2339 on: March 05, 2021, 01:03:54 PM

In some ways I love watching those stylized demos because they reflect what the devs expect in an ideal world... meanwhile, in the real world all those boxes would be looted, the mobs would be melee'd with helmets and teabagged accordingly.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2340 on: March 09, 2021, 08:09:23 AM

It does not look good and frankly who ever really wanted that? Luckily, it can be ignored. Or maybe experienced once or twice to feel like the universe is bigger, and then forgotten. I would have liked some planets with functioning bases to land to, pick up quests, have a drink, get that feeling of a space outpost, sure. It would have also felt more like Elite 2, which somehow felt grand in that sense from the opening cutscene. But that shooter part feels so immensely generic that I hate to think so much resources is going into it.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2341 on: March 25, 2021, 09:02:44 AM

150 jumps to go until I try to make my first populated landing since early 2019 (thinking of doing a few practice dockings on my alt account first). Here's how my paintwork is looking on the loading screen.

Edit: early 2019. Not mid-2019. Even scarier.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 08:48:44 PM by Tale »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2342 on: March 25, 2021, 09:49:06 AM

I haven't been following this thread...I love the idea of the game, but the time investment isn't conducive to my lifestyle or whatnot  why so serious?

I'm kinda amazed that Tale has been trying to get back from the hinterlands for almost two years of earth time. That's bananas but also amazing but mostly bananas.

That shooting/raid video looked like a prettier Empyrion  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2343 on: March 25, 2021, 05:20:36 PM

I'm kinda amazed that Tale has been trying to get back from the hinterlands for almost two years of earth time. That's bananas but also amazing but mostly bananas.

The biggest reason it's taken two real years is that for most of that time, I didn't play the game. But here's an explanation for non-players.

I did this expedition with 13,614 other players in 2019, from January until June. It was such a long way that only 3,747 completed the journey.

This left me on the wrong side of the 1:1 simulated Milky Way, with a case of burnout on the game. Most players spend their gaming time in a small part of the Milky Way centred on Sol (Earth's system), known as "the bubble". That's what everyone else has been doing in this thread. That's where the storyline and combat and trading and alien invaders all happen.

Back in real life, my son was born at the end of June 2019. Most of my gaming time ended. I played Ghost Recon Wildlands as my late night poison. Elite seemed too much of a commitment.

But I made a few attempts to get going again. Reversing six months of jumping in the wrong direction was just too much. What it took was a couple of sick days recently where I sat up in bed and just jumped my ship, finally making a dent in the map.

What I'll soon reach is only halfway home. It's the most far-flung station, near Sagittarius A", the black hole at the centre of the galaxy.

I could have just blown up my ship on the far side of the map and respawned near Sol, without having to do the return journey. But along the way (and on the return journey) I've put a lot of time into scanning star systems and planets and moons nobody else has ever visited. Thousands of them.

What reaching this space station will do is enable me to sell that data. It's worth a fortune. Less of a fortune than I'd have made if I'd stayed back in the bubble, mining asteroids, trading and shooting enemy ships, but I'll also get my name permanently on all the places I've discovered, visible to anyone else who ever travels through them or finds them on the map.

And there are some awesome ones. Earth-like worlds in huge trinary systems. A ringed water world that is a moon of a gas giant. Ammonia worlds that could be the undiscovered home of the Thargoids, the alien invaders.

Or I could blow up on landing and lose it all. But I'll still have a special decal I can put on the outside of my ship, visible to all, showing I completed the 2019 expedition.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2344 on: March 25, 2021, 06:09:40 PM

Or I could blow up on landing and lose it all.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Earth-like worlds in huge trinary systems. A ringed water world that is a moon of a gas giant. Ammonia worlds that could be the undiscovered home of the Thargoids, the alien invaders. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: