Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 24, 2019, 11:11:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Shop: Amazon
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 236367 times)
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2240 on: May 07, 2019, 10:08:10 AM

I tried a bit more laser mining in the Python and was finding it tedious so I swapped back to my Asp and started puttering around the bubble doing ranking missions and looking for a good system to base out of. Currently Jameson Memorial is home, or at least it's my garage. Handy for Federation stuff but less so for Empire and downright inconvenient for Alliance. I decided to try some new stuff and picked up a Planetary Scan Job and a Mine Praseodymium mission, both +++++ Rep.

Getting a bounty on me, losing Rep and being wanted by the Federation for doing the scan job did not align well with my long-term goals so I don't know that I'll be doing much more planetary scans. At least not unless there's some way I haven't figured out yet to tell who I'm going to piss off BEFORE accepting the mission. But my friendly lawyer got me out of that one easily enough.

So, faced with more laser mining and having over 2 billion in the bank now I bit the bullet and dropped a quarter billion on A-rating a Type 9 Heavy I've named "Greed Is Good" and fitted it out for mining with 512 cargo, 3 medium lasers, controls for 9(!) Collector limpets, prospector limpets, DSS, and big honking Shields and fuel scoop. LOLOLOL what a beast. It's like going from a Spitfire to a B-17. But without the giant trail (thank goodness!) So maybe more like a YB-35. LOL. It's got a jump range of 20ly, and a cruising speed just over 100 though it boosts to double that. It rolls and turns like a 747 and can stop on a dime as long and that dime is about 5 minutes away from you.  why so serious?  If I put 4 pips to Shields and 2 to engines for negotiating the mail slot I can blast through at full throttle without exceeding the speed limit! LOL

I took it out for a shakedown cruise and went to a good Painite site. I had a blast. It took me about three hours for the whole round trip.  That included jumping out 5 hops (scooping instead of having to dock to refuel) mining till the hold was full (dumping 150 of the 400 limpets I started with LOL), jumping 5 hops to the nearest high price sell system (dodging at least one attempted interdiction solely because I scoop and jump so fast he couldn't get a line on me in time), selling 460 Painite then jumping another 4 hops to turn in the Praseodymium (fighting off another interdiction attempt that I missed escaping completely by less than a second). And made over 350 million, more than paying for itself in just one run.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2241 on: May 07, 2019, 11:05:48 AM

Now that it has been mentioned, I did notice an increase in limpets getting stuck on the rocks and then timing out which is basically a crash, but without the ability to send out another one till the dumb one dies off.

Likewise, I noticed that sometimes a chunk of material would pop off the rock, but the asteroid would 'absorb' it so the material would be inside of the rock. Not sure why there were no collision physics put on all the materials or more likely something caused the collision physics to glitch out. No matter... I'd still take this type of mining over the old school surface shooty thing any day.

"I want to watch it all burn in an orgy of smashed Coke machines and weasel rape." - HaemishM
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2242 on: May 07, 2019, 12:06:00 PM

Yeah, they supposedly tried to fix the chunk-inside-the-asteroid problem with the last patch by shrinking/smoothing the bounding box and making them pop out more vertically from the surface. I didn't see any chunks get stuck inside last night, but I did still get a couple stuck against the body of the rock that killed limpets until they drifted away a bit. Though with 9 limpets running the only way I'm likely to notice is when it suddenly tells me it's programming a new one. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I've configured my firegroup to have all mining lasers AND all collector controllers on one button, and the prospector controller on the other. Works very well, I never changed firegroup the whole time I was in the ring, and never once worried about if I needed to launch another limpet as they Auto launched if needed every time I fired the mining lasers.

Another trick to minimizing limpet stupidity is to keep them on a tight rein. I use all D-rated collector controllers so they can't wander very far, I think it's only 0.75km. That keeps your limpets close with very little room for a rock to get between you and then. Any chunks that drift out of that range can just wait till you've finished mining the rock and collecting the stuff near it, than you can move towards them and the collectors will dash off to get them as soon as they are in range.

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2243 on: May 09, 2019, 11:16:31 PM

Nearing 3 billion now. Puttering around with this and that, trying out different mission types for faction.  Still haven't gotten the guardian FSD booster or most of the engineers yet, though I've done a lot of the prep work for the engineers and have tons of mats.

Lots of sights to see in the bubble and vicinity, the cool stuff isn't limited to the great beyond. Which is a good thing because they broke the FSS in several different ways with the last patch and I can barely stand to use it now. Would really suck if I was still out exploring systems!  I'm good for maybe one or two systems a night now before I get stabby and start imagining dropping black holes on whatever idiot thinks zoom out on a telescope/scanner should go anywhere but RIGHT WHERE IT BLOODY WELL WAS. Idiot.  I am pretty sure whoever did that doesn't use a mouse to play, and it either wasn't tested with a mouse or any feedback from mouse users was ignored/overruled.  QA and testing in general do not seem to be this lots strong suit.

This moon has an interesting view of it's deep blue parent. And it seems to be outgassing a little bit of wispy atmosphere as well, maybe caused by the sunlight? Kind of hard to check and tell if it's misty at night! LOL 

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2244 on: May 11, 2019, 12:48:42 AM

Well.

That was interesting.  I got pulled over by the Thargoid cops! LOL  Yanked me out of witchspace while warping between two systems, shut down everything, and scanned me, then turned the ship back on and warped away.

Other news for the night is I got Professor Palin unlocked and pinned Dirty Drives blueprint.

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2245 on: May 15, 2019, 07:26:15 PM

It looks like yesterday's patch fixed the worst of the FSS bugs they introduced with the last patch to fix the previous patch. The jury is still out on what they broke in this patch to fix what the patch to fix the patch broke!   awesome, for real

I'm still having a blast with two very different kinds of mining, laser mining Painite or Low Temperature Diamonds and cracking Void Opal cores.  You can make decent money at either just by going out and doing it with a minimum of thought and preparation, though finding cores takes more skill and patience than finding rocks with painite in them. Lots and lots of money with a bit of practice and knowledge.  https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteMiners/ is an active and valuable resource for doing the grunt work of sifting through all the ED mining facts, myths and outdated info.

I've over 3 billion in the bank now so I'm thinking of buying a Beluga and outfitting it for mining. LOL I renamed my Type 9 to "A Bigger Boat", then swapped it for the Python "Failure To Communicate" which I refitted for both laser and core mining with 3 Medium Mining lasers and controllers for 10 limpets plus 128 tons cargo. So I may reuse the name "Greed is Good" for the Beluga. I still haven't fired a single shot from a ship. I'm eligible to get Federal Assault Ships now, but I'm just not interested in combat for now.

So here's a couple mining pics:

I'm also still puttering around ranking up in both the Imperial and Federation Navies and working on engineers. I tried a couple +++++ rank mining missions which were kinda OK but not as efficient as, say, doing data missions on the Maiani - Ngalinn route which got me two Imperial ranks in a couple hours.

I still haven't done the Guardian stuff at all. 

I've spent a lot of time cataloguing planetary rings for potential mining spots, which gratifies my OCD side and annoys my ADHD side.   why so serious?

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #2246 on: May 15, 2019, 09:07:43 PM

I jumped back in for the first time in ages, I managed to remember how to take off and land, and that was about it. Such a complicated game, need to have a laptop open next to me with a cheat sheet.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2247 on: May 16, 2019, 01:05:05 PM

Yes, I'm running two monitors and always have several windows open in the second with various reference materials or tools for ED, usually including a keyboard map although I'm needing that one less and less.

Remembering how to land is a pretty good first step! From there you can at least start doing non-combat stuff.

I gained two more Imperial ranks last night doing the Mainani - Ngalinn run (plus buying some indulgences/bribing officials/donating a few millions to Noble causes), making me a Baron and allowing me to buy the Corvette Clipper (doh!), so I may be getting that instead of a Beluga next.

I also did a little 9 hop trip to a new mining spot I wanted to check out, scanning, mapping some rings, and searching for HGEs as I went. I ended up having to make a little detour to a Material Trader, twice (!), as I found (and traded) over 100 Imperial Shields (grade 5 manufactured material for engineering) just on that trip.

When I arrived at my target destination it was already pretty late so I decided to postpone mining and just map all the rings there. But I encountered the same old DSS bugs which slowed me down a lot and I didn't even finish that before I went to bed.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 02:00:10 PM by Count Nerfedalot »

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: