Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:45:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Not so good news about F2P 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Not so good news about F2P  (Read 151779 times)
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: October 25, 2012, 11:05:53 AM

Also, and take this with a grain of salt, but apparently some datamining of 1.5 on the PTR's been done, and some stuff about Chapter 4 of the storyline's been uncovered. Heavy focus on the Hutt Cartel (oh boy...) with only two overarching storylines, one for each faction (maybe with minor variations based on your class), instead of eight individual class storylines.

Where can I see the data mining stuff?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: October 25, 2012, 11:07:33 AM

My healing sage definitely needed at least 2.5 bars [without stuff like quick travel and sprint] and my tanking vanguard used 4 bars almost completely (I think I had 2-3 free spots remaining). Remember that you need to hotkey [or at least hotbar] your speeder, consumables (at least a medpack, switching it out with the warzone stim), your out-of-combat heal, your buff (have to recast them every time you die in a wz), the 'throw huttball' button, and on-use relic(s).

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #107 on: October 25, 2012, 11:14:18 AM

I think you could do without a bunch of those things as hotkeys if you were trying to play on 2 bars. In particular your speeder, buffs, OOC heal, etc. It would be pretty annoying but it wouldn't be unplayable, like the 1 bar thing.

Also note that if you're just playing ONLY FOR FREE FOREVER you're not likely to be doing a lot of play *at* 50, just leveling up people til you get sick of it, in which case 2 bars is plenty of space for most of the leveling process.

I would still give people 3 bars though.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 11:25:47 AM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: October 25, 2012, 11:25:53 AM

UI features should not be behind a paywall for anyone. The end.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: October 25, 2012, 11:31:54 AM

I'd rather pay once for an extra bar than pay planet by planet for content, personally.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: October 25, 2012, 11:33:38 AM

Also, and take this with a grain of salt, but apparently some datamining of 1.5 on the PTR's been done, and some stuff about Chapter 4 of the storyline's been uncovered. Heavy focus on the Hutt Cartel (oh boy...) with only two overarching storylines, one for each faction (maybe with minor variations based on your class), instead of eight individual class storylines.

Where can I see the data mining stuff?

Not sure. I imagine on Reddit and the official forums. I've only heard it through second-hand sources, hence the "grain of salt".
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: October 25, 2012, 02:40:24 PM

The game is actually playable with 2 bars instead of 1, at least. You'll have to use stuff like buffs and fast travel off of the abilities menu instead of a quickbar, but I can fit just about anything I really need to hit on my 50s on 2 bars.

All this concern over bars makes me appreciate GW2's single bar even more.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: October 25, 2012, 04:28:02 PM

All this concern over bars makes me appreciate GW2's single bar even more.

GW2 isn't a single bar.  It's a double bar with the illusion that it's a single bar.  Unless you don't weapon swap like I do. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: October 25, 2012, 04:42:32 PM

And quite frankly they could use a place to put inventory-usable items other than in the inventory.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: October 26, 2012, 12:01:49 AM

The only item in GW2 that could use a hotkey is the revive orb. Everything else is a long-term buff or a non-combat transformation item (and I use stims/flasks/etc from the inventory in other games as well, so that's not a problem for me).

Like I said, client-side restrictions are stupid. Even if we ignore the entire playable/unplayable argument (which we shouldn't), it WILL be worked around with a client-side hack (whether as simple as editing an xml file, or running a 'trainer' program in the background - does SWTOR use a Warden-like integrity protection mechanism, btw?). Having your 'normal' users doing things like that opens a can of worms that you really don't want to open.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: October 26, 2012, 12:53:50 AM

There are some in-combat potions from Artificing if I am not misremembering.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: October 26, 2012, 12:59:49 AM

I have a bunch of those [main is a 400 artificer], but they are long-term buffs as well (+x% damage done and -x% damage taken against [mob type] as well as +10% xp from kills for 15-30 min) so using them from the inventory is fine.

e: same with sharpening stones from weaponsmith, btw.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 01:38:46 AM by Zetor »

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: October 26, 2012, 10:07:54 AM

No, not yet.

Patch 1.4 is probably going live within 2 weeks.

F2P is scheduled for 1-2 months from now.

Way too early a per-announcement on this just like the game overall. I bet they lose a significant chunk of interest before they finally get f2p working.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: October 26, 2012, 01:05:04 PM

More like you pay a dollar and it turns on for a week.  Ohhhhh, I see.

It says it right at the top of the link you posted:

Preferred Status - Making a purchase will unlock access to the following features:

Most F2P do this now.  They come up with a bunch of draconian restrictions to force a single purchase.  It's a good way to get rid of people who won't actually pay anything.

Or who believe unsubstantiated rumor mongering.
More like you pay a dollar and it turns on for a week.  Ohhhhh, I see.
There's enough to hate about this without making shit up.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 01:08:27 PM by Phred »
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: October 26, 2012, 03:02:33 PM

I was referring specifically to the flashpoint, operation, and warzone week-long passes, which have no longer-term option.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: October 26, 2012, 05:06:37 PM

Ah sorry it wasnt very clear.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: October 26, 2012, 05:18:04 PM

And quite frankly they could use a place to put inventory-usable items other than in the inventory.

Ya I was thinking that today. They should have an inventory item area on screen and give you the option of pinning stuff there from your inventory like windows 7.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: October 27, 2012, 08:26:27 PM

The single hotbar was just stupid.   You don't cripple you're free demo to that degree.  Otherwise I'm quite pleased to see how draconian some of that shit is.  You can't even call it F2P with a lot of that.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #123 on: October 28, 2012, 10:24:12 AM

So do you use micro transactions to buy more bars and inventory or is it a black/white type of decision where you get nothing unless you do a monthly subscription?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: October 28, 2012, 10:25:50 AM

So do you use micro transactions to buy more bars and inventory or is it a black/white type of decision where you get nothing unless you do a monthly subscription?

You can buy more. Also the first time you buy cartel coins a bunch of stuff unlocks permanently (this is I believe also where you end up as a former subscriber.) Exact list of what is not final afaik.

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: October 28, 2012, 07:06:18 PM

They're basically setting up everyone even remotely interested in this game as "preferred."  All the accounts that ever were created, even if they played only the "free" (first) month.  Also, as a true new player, as soon as you provide a CC (to buy cartel coins once), you're preferred.

To me it looks like they're just afraid of RMT'ers and bots using F2P to flood the game.  It's the only thing that explains the decision to cripple the UI.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: October 29, 2012, 04:26:53 AM

I honestly stopped paying attention to this game and this sub-forum for over a couple months now.  I return here after reading an article on IGN about the recent F2P updates changes, which means I'm ignoring pretty much everything already said in this thread.  A couple thoughts:

- The idea of wanting to charge me to unlock a hotbar is probably the fucking pinnacle of nickel and diming in a MMO.  I suppose they could dive further and want to charge me for the ability to zoom the camera in and out to certain degrees as well, but come the fuck on.  Oh, you fuckers thought about it and decided to allow the F2P peeps to have a second hotbar for free?  HOW FUCKING GENEROUS OF YOU, CAPITALIST JERKS  swamp poop

- If this is the kind of nickel and diming we can expect of this, how bad is it going to get with other games coming down the line from EA?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: October 29, 2012, 05:25:49 AM

Keep in mind that EA has made a lot of money by making small modifications to a product and charging full price.  I don't know why any of this nickel and dime shit surprises anyone.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #128 on: October 29, 2012, 06:34:31 AM

They're basically setting up everyone even remotely interested in this game as "preferred."  All the accounts that ever were created, even if they played only the "free" (first) month.  Also, as a true new player, as soon as you provide a CC (to buy cartel coins once), you're preferred.

To me it looks like they're just afraid of RMT'ers and bots using F2P to flood the game.  It's the only thing that explains the decision to cripple the UI.
That seems to be the case, but we'll see how it ends up. Because EA.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: October 29, 2012, 07:08:02 AM

I'll just pay a monthly sub and turn off the general chat channel.  Just means that I have a bunch of new people to farm in the battlegrounds. 

-  Mark Twain
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: October 29, 2012, 12:31:23 PM

They definitely made a mistake revealing the non-preferred mode first.  A lot of people are just going to ignore future info at this point.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: October 29, 2012, 12:35:37 PM

Yeah it is certainly confusing for the non-subscribers.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: October 29, 2012, 03:04:40 PM

Big ol' Q&A post:

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #133 on: October 29, 2012, 03:43:12 PM

Subscribers will still have 12 character slots available on a single server.  F2P players will have 2 (as will Preferred).  At Launch, we are not enforcing the penalty on subscribers who convert to Free-to-Play, but we will in a subsequent patch.
Ouch. I'm pretty much spoiled by GW2. The f2p+sub model just seems like a sub model.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: October 29, 2012, 03:49:22 PM

The only odd thing about that, to me, is I didn't see a way to buy individual extra slots (maybe I just missed it.)

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: October 29, 2012, 05:01:00 PM

There isn't an individual character slot purchase. You're either stuck with 2, or you've got 12 as a subscriber.

One or the more telling things about that part of the answer is that it suggests that they actually know how to limit peoples' character slots, which bears out when you realize that everyone still had 12 characters in F2P mode on Test.

Never mind trying to untangle the bag of worms that are those folks with 20+ characters thanks to mass server merges.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: October 29, 2012, 06:43:42 PM

Well, preferreds keep their characters, just have to mark 2 as "active" and the rest will be greyed out.

There's a devblog out that says next patch (1.5) will make changes to the graphics again.  Not shadows, this time it's grass and tree leaves transparency.  To quote, this change also "does not reduce framerate at all" just like the shadows didn't, I'm sure.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: October 29, 2012, 07:02:29 PM

That does look really nice on the trees in particular.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: October 29, 2012, 08:59:07 PM

Ouch. I'm pretty much spoiled by GW2. The f2p+sub model just seems like a sub model.

It's sub+cash shop now.  With shitty gambling boxes even.  The worst of both worlds.

This was in the weekly QA:

Tatile: It's been mentioned that Darth Nihilus' mask dropped from one of the gambling boxes. Is everything in the boxes available outside of them or are some things exclusive? If so, which?

Blaine: A large portion of the items in the Cartel Packs are exclusive to the packs. The great news for anyone who does not want to purchase Cartel Packs is all items in the store can be traded (and thus gifted to friends!) and sold on the Galactic Trade Network. This means that you can get what you want via the GTN if you are patient and have the in-game credits to spend. Also important to note is this is just the start of the offerings you will see for sale in the Cartel Market. As we gather information and feedback on what players want to see, we will certainly make adjustments.

Kiss worthwhile content goodbye.  Why expand storylines when they can just leech off people with gambling problems?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 09:07:40 PM by Amaron »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: October 29, 2012, 09:29:19 PM

Don't really care about the gambling boxes. Gives me something to dump the free sub coins into, I guess.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Not so good news about F2P  
Jump to: