Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:14:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 121 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  (Read 938121 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #3885 on: May 04, 2019, 01:26:22 PM

On a summer Saturday in 2007, a trespasser slipped by a security gate and entered Chris Roberts’ L.A. home. Inside, Madison Peterson, Roberts’ former common-law wife, with whom he had a long on-and-off relationship, was startled and feared her young daughter could be harmed or kidnapped. Peterson later identified the trespasser as Sandi Gardiner, who is now Roberts’ wife (for the second time) and a cofounder of Cloud Imperium. Roberts reported the incident to police, and a California judge issued a temporary restraining order that required Gardiner to stay 100 yards away from Peterson, who claimed in her temporary restraining order application that Gardiner had been stalking and threatening both her and her daughter for nearly three years.
“Ms. Gardiner has an unnatural and irrational fascination with my daughter and me,” Peterson wrote. “I constantly and continually look to make sure my daughter and I are not watched.”  
In a court-filed declaration he signed at the time, Roberts said Gardiner had also visited Peterson’s San Diego home and once became violent and tried to strangle him. “I believed that if she had a gun she would have killed me,” Roberts said in the declaration. “I believe that Ms. Gardiner is not emotionally stable.” After three months, the restraining order was dissolved. Today, Roberts says he cannot recall signing the declaration and that what is ascribed to him in the court filings was prepared by Peterson and false. Despite the documentation, Gardiner flatly denies the incidents took place.

A few years later, Roberts cofounded Cloud Imperium with Gardiner [...]

EDIT: Admittedly, it could have been a false and it doesn't say anything about Star Citizen.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 01:29:43 PM by Falconeer »

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #3886 on: May 04, 2019, 03:27:31 PM

I like that the free week is called "fly free" and not "play free" because there is no game yet.
lesion

Reply #3887 on: May 04, 2019, 03:43:34 PM

Quote from: Chris Roberts
Star Citizen is a playable game. It has more functionality and content than a lot of finished games.
smiley

It's like golf, see. Only even cheaper because you only need to spend $45. That and the clubs are brittle sticks, the ball is a hummingbird you need to catch and throw to the ground with enough force to be fatal, and you're in a barren field. But don't worry, 'cause the hole is just past the fairway. You'll see. You'll all see.

steam|a grue \[T]/
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #3888 on: May 04, 2019, 05:01:30 PM

I do not see a link to the major Forbes article that people are quoting from, so here is one.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #3889 on: May 05, 2019, 07:13:01 PM

Can you feel the $250,000,000 investment? :) Also, I very much want someone from the Elite Dangerous thread to try this and compare.

There's nothing to compare.  ED works, and is playable.  Star Citizen is...  I don't even know how to describe it.  The launcher took forever to load, so I could launch the game.  The game took another handful of minutes to launch.  Once in the game, it was just sad.  as lesion said, the UI is a fucking catastrophe.  The graphics were un-optimized, and not good.  Everything looked like it was vibrating subtley.  When I picked things up, it was held by the back of my hand.  Walking was slow as shit, but running was at 'normal' speed.  You supposedly have to watch your heart rate, but from what I could see, it didn't change much.  That is, until I got outside of the station and tried to run around, at which point it went up to 120 bpm, at which point I got some sort of warning that my heart rate was too high, so apparently my character is 85 or so.  Then it began randomly jumping around.  Didn't seem to have any effect.

Couldn't find a ship, but frankly I couldn't be arsed to care after less than 2 minutes in the game.  A game that took about 10 minutes to actually launch.

My favorite part was when I looked down at myself, and for whatever reason, I had what appeared to be gas venting out of my body at various points.  No idea what the hell was up with that.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3890 on: May 06, 2019, 04:29:52 AM

I...uh...what the fuck? swamp poop ACK!

Why do you start a space sim walking around in first (third?) person mode? Why do you not start in a spaceship?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3891 on: May 06, 2019, 08:15:32 AM

I...uh...what the fuck? swamp poop ACK!

Why do you start a space sim walking around in first (third?) person mode? Why do you not start in a spaceship?

ARE YOU BORN ON A SPACE SHIP? REALITY, MAN, YOU HAVE TO WALK TO YOUR SHIP OR ELSE IT ISN'T REAL!!!!

Says the dickhead who paid over $1000 for a fictional space ship made of 1's and 0's.  why so serious?

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3892 on: May 06, 2019, 08:25:23 AM

Really, one should start as a caveperson, learning first how to tame the elements and smelt space-ready metals.  Plus invent rocketfuel and toilets that can flush in zero gravity.  Can´t have it all handed to you on a fucking platter.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #3893 on: May 06, 2019, 09:59:28 AM

Okay guys, starting as the pilot would be just fine. It would allow you to identify as a human in a ship, not just the ship. You could pick out your vessel in human mode, maybe even be able to walk around and examine the ships you are choosing from in first/third person mode, giving you a better feel for the scale and "reality" of said vessels.

That would be totally fun.

The problem is the whole damn thing sounds broken. Something like 200 million and it's not even a good walking sim.

*That's* the issue.

Also I would totally play that caveman to astronaut game......
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #3894 on: May 06, 2019, 07:56:26 PM

I think you should start in the bathroom, taking a piss, and THEN "return" to your starship.  Then get a flashback of how you acquired said spaceship, which can be in the form of a tutorial.  But of course not be able to finish the flashback / tutorial because suddenly your thoughts are interrupted by combat / a pirate attack.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #3895 on: May 06, 2019, 08:11:16 PM

Caveman to rockets is literally a few minecraft modpacks.  I’m not even exaggerating.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #3896 on: May 06, 2019, 10:18:12 PM

Caveman to rockets is literally a few minecraft modpacks.  I’m not even exaggerating.

You can also sorta do that in Kerbal Space Program (with mods). You can start with sounding rockets or primitive aircraft and advance yourself to interstellar vessels and colonies.

It's actually pretty fun, if you get into that sort of sim.

Which brings me back around to the problem with Star Citizen that I see. It doesn't work. It doesn't matter what the design intention is if it doesn't work.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #3897 on: May 07, 2019, 01:35:55 AM

Really, one should start as a caveperson, learning first how to tame the elements and smelt space-ready metals.  Plus invent rocketfuel and toilets that can flush in zero gravity.  Can´t have it all handed to you on a fucking platter.

No Man's Star Citizen?
Terracotta Army

Reply #3898 on: May 07, 2019, 04:24:55 AM

Hm, I wonder if my laptop can handle E:D. It's a beast and does fine with the likes of Ark, but it's no 1080 GPU. And Elite makes my desktop whine. Runs it fine, but complains about it, lazy thing! I'd almost forgotten it had fans until I started playing Elite.

My PC runs E:D without issue but has to run Ark on potatoe graphics to get it playable so it sounds like you should be ok.
lesion

Reply #3899 on: May 07, 2019, 05:47:07 AM

I think you should start in the bathroom, taking a piss, and THEN "return" to your starship.  Then get a flashback of how you acquired said spaceship, which can be in the form of a tutorial.  But of course not be able to finish the flashback / tutorial because suddenly your thoughts are interrupted by combat / a pirate attack.
That already sounds so much better than this alpha demo.

Also, further reading revealed that the mouse wheel modifies walking speed and/or 'B' switches from babywalk to jog. While I'm incredibly drawn to reinstall and have another sip from the cup of everlasting artistry that is Star Citizen I must fight the temptation. woe.

steam|a grue \[T]/
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3900 on: May 07, 2019, 07:16:22 AM

Also, further reading revealed that the mouse wheel modifies walking speed and/or 'B' switches from babywalk to jog.

LOLWUT?  swamp poop

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3901 on: May 07, 2019, 08:26:38 AM

Is that feature for those 'roleplayers' who like to slowly walk across the map in mmo?
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #3902 on: May 07, 2019, 10:13:56 AM

Did they crib that from WWII Online?  awesome, for real

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #3903 on: October 28, 2019, 10:07:32 PM

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #3904 on: October 29, 2019, 05:30:49 AM

imma just jam spore and star citizen together until your space pilot has to start out as a unicellular organism
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3905 on: October 29, 2019, 05:40:42 AM

lol the fuck was that.  After 7 years.  Is it still fair to assume there are rabid supporters of this mess?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3906 on: October 29, 2019, 09:54:27 AM

Oh yeah.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3907 on: October 29, 2019, 11:18:16 AM

Maybe there's just a bad space meth problem there.

In the game, too.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #3908 on: October 29, 2019, 12:51:05 PM

Free weekend this weekend apparently. Might be worthwhile checking out what a mess it is in.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
schild
Administrator

Reply #3909 on: October 29, 2019, 12:57:27 PM

no
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #3910 on: October 29, 2019, 06:15:09 PM

Free weekend this weekend apparently. Might be worthwhile checking out what a mess it is in.

if u never play, every weekend is free weekend
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3911 on: October 30, 2019, 06:31:07 AM

if u never play, every weekend is free weekend
blackguypointingatforehead.jpg
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3912 on: February 10, 2020, 01:26:11 PM

ngl the tech looks cool af

Digital Foundry is looking at some of SC's tech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqXZhnrkBdo

I'm still hopeful for this title while not spending any earth dollars on it until it's done  this guy looks legit
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #3913 on: February 10, 2020, 01:51:16 PM

But is it fun?
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #3914 on: February 10, 2020, 11:17:09 PM

Heh, they can built a planet but only put like 15 people on it.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3915 on: February 11, 2020, 12:00:45 AM

And probably half those people are doing the sideways moonwalk or clipping through the each other while several others spin around for no reason.

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #3916 on: February 13, 2020, 03:30:11 PM

[rolls into the thread]

hey whats up my dudes it's your host sammy boy for the 5,243rd live hosted podcast running up to the star citizen release. there is no god and no end to this maddening hell. please someone else start and finish an entire space sim in the span of 2 CIG content releases and free us from this tormented limbo
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #3917 on: February 13, 2020, 08:17:01 PM

[rolls into the thread]

hey whats up my dudes it's your host sammy boy for the 5,243rd live hosted podcast running up to the star citizen release. there is no god and no end to this maddening hell. please someone else start and finish an entire space sim in the span of 2 CIG content releases and free us from this tormented limbo

To quote the Awesome Pictures Thread....

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3918 on: February 24, 2020, 08:29:55 AM

Some more tech stuff in the Digital Foundry series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUFcerTa6Ho

Always good to see technology being pushed forward. Now back to your regularly scheduled lazy pot-shots at CIG, because we forgot the 'useful' part of cynical commentary.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3919 on: February 24, 2020, 10:55:09 AM

Yes, they made some tech, well done. Mind you the Digital Foundry guy that makes those videos is a long time Star Citizen backer (one of the most vocal on NeoGaf before people split for ResetEra) who from what I've seen doesn't mention in his videos that he's put money into the game, and seems to show the tech in the best possible light rather than show how the game actually functions in the real world.

I mean, if you want to hear useful commentary on the problems with this game I could point to the Squadron 42 Roadmap CIG puts out each week which has shown almost zero progress in the last 6 months despite the fact that they were saying it was supposed to go into Beta this year. Or we could take a look at the Persistent Universe roadmaps and see how most of the actual gameplay loops keeps getting pushed back, while they work on stuff like a space prison you can escape from (because that's why people were investing money in a space sim).

But really anyone who has paid even casual attention to this thing knows development has been a train wreck so I'm not sure what kind of useful commentary you want on why after 8 years this game is still a mess.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 121 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  
Jump to: