Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 08:19:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Using SharePoint to populate Outlook signatures 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Using SharePoint to populate Outlook signatures  (Read 1832 times)
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

on: September 06, 2012, 08:28:18 AM

The communications manager at my new company bumped into me in the hallway. Knowing that I'm in the HR systems department he asked if it was possible to standardize Outlook signatures based on the HR data. It's not because it's messy. But, our SharePoint is integrated with Active Directory and has all the information needed for the signatures. Is it possible to have SharePoint integrate with Outlook in a way that would allow automatic signature creation when a user opens Outlook? Or something like that.
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 08:32:36 AM

If the info is in Active Directory, there's a few packages for Exchange that will auto-populate users' signatures.  Think it also takes a Group Policy tweak (via Office Resource Kit) to keep the users from using their own existing signatures, though.

(pokes at Lantyssa for more details, as she's done this before)

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 08:54:23 AM

Make sure you include a cute animated gif in every signature. Good choices are a cartoon cat or a bear cub. And a religious homily. People like that kind of thing.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 09:28:22 AM

Make sure you include a cute animated gif in every signature. Good choices are a cartoon cat or a bear cub. And a religious homily. People like that kind of thing.

I think the communications manager would punch me.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 09:31:08 AM

Behold:

http://www.aspfree.com/c/a/Windows-Scripting/Generating-Outlook-Signatures-Based-on-Active-Directory-Information/

Note this is pulling from AD directly, not SharePoint, but if all the SharePoint information is propagated into AD you shouldn't need to touch it directly.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 09:34:15 AM

For nearly a year at my last job, whenever they announced what was being catered for lunch I would reply all with a 4-panel CSI comic making a terrible pun (this was 2009-2010, don't judge me, that shit was funny back then). Everything would've been fine if the most unfunny magoo jackass in the office didn't think it was annoying. I think I still have some somewhere. If I dig them up I think I might start mailing them to him around noon every day.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 09:41:14 AM

Uh, ok.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 10:17:00 AM

It was clearly a response to Baldrake.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 10:18:18 AM

Ah.  Ok.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 08:33:43 AM

What version of Outlook, Nix?  2010 is supposed to have the feature natively.  2003 we had to go with a third-party solution.  Later versions are supposed to have work-arounds.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 02:35:32 PM

I think the communications manager would punch me.

I kinda like your communication manager.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 07:44:59 PM

Sharepoint?

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 08:33:53 PM

It's the Cloud version of Notepad.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 09:19:17 PM

Sharepoint?

It's MS's intranet solution. Lots of companies are using it now and it's becoming quite valuable to know Sharepoint.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 02:29:54 AM

In 5 years it will be dead tech, IMO. I mean, it will be alive and well, but only in Microsoft's cloud offering, where they run it instead of you.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 09:20:51 AM

Sharepoint?

It's MS's intranet solution. Lots of companies are using it now and it's becoming quite valuable to know Sharepoint.
Including the US State Department.   Ohhhhh, I see.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Using SharePoint to populate Outlook signatures  
Jump to: