Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:47:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Should I buy this? Help! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should I buy this? Help!  (Read 23201 times)
WayAbvPar

on: August 08, 2012, 03:26:01 PM

Pretend that I am the village idiot (yes, I know- quite a stretch). Tell me what this game is, how it plays, what it compares to (favorably and not so), etc. Give me the info I need to convince myself to buy it even though I hated GW I (but can't remember why!). I need an MMOG to play and this is next up, seemingly. Help a brother out!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 03:34:11 PM

No sub.  Just buy it.  I probably know less than you (disliked GW1 as well), and I did!  awesome, for real

My reasons (since I'm a little bored and want to avoid doing actual work):

1) No sub.
2) PVP.  Some sort of massive looking PVP thing too.  No idea if it's fun, balanced, or runs at higher than 5 fps. 
3) Looks nice.
4) Not a lot of hot keys.
5) Small race I can be annoying with in PVP.
6) I'm going to run out of shit to do in TSW and even then goto 1).  My "no two subs at one time" rule here does not apply!
7) Trying to avoid diving back into LoL or DOTA2 full time (this would make me ragey 100% of the time). 
8) Nice youtube videos.
9) Lack of overwhelming negative comments here.
10) You can jump this time. 

-Rasix
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 03:41:57 PM

Try reading this from someone who expected to hate GW2. http://sixdee.net/2012/04/last-portal-to-tyria/

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 03:49:18 PM

It's a PvP focused game. If PvE is what you enjoy it doesn't look like there will be enough content to keep you busy for a while. PvE from what little I've experienced is decent but not great.

PvP is divided into two types -- small scale (like 5 on 5) and massive scale (world vs world, with 100s on each side). The massive scale PvP (WvW) feels like WAR (huge structures you can capture, siege weapons you can build, etc.) but unlike WAR you are fighting on instanced maps that aren't part of the "regular world". There are (semi) persistent benefits if your world does well (like a small boost to a crafting bonus) but it's not like the open world RvR that WAR has.

If you like PvP in MMORPGs (LOL) definitely give it a try.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 03:50:44 PM

Don't buy it
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 03:56:38 PM

The only reason I'll be playing is because some of my friends are, however I don't see them lasting. 

The only thing that may keep me playing is the WvW but I was bored, even more than usual in an mmo, when I was trying to level with PvE.  That'll be the big test for me to even see if I can get to max level.  Let alone do all the exploring and stuff they want you to do to get the extra skill points.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 04:30:46 PM

Because they're doing something different and they've got the best art team in the industry.  Being a one-time cost, you should support them if for nothing else than encouraging future companies to stop making the same shit over and over.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 04:39:48 PM

The art team sucks compared to the one that did GW1 (plus the outside design firm whose name I don't remember that did a lot of the modelling and animation work). When I get home I'll post pics of my "studded leather" pants.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 04:54:45 PM

I like the art, and it win's over GW1 in having some fun PvE content. GW1 was soporific.

They're doing some interesting things in the MMO space, some of which work really well for casual co-operative PvE and PvP. There's a lot of content in the box, it's not that expensive and there's no sub. It's probably the safest MMO purchase I've seen.

That said if you want a competitive PvE end-game in which you race to get the purples and first boss-kills I've seen no suggestion GW2 even cares to compete.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 04:55:40 PM

Why you should buy....

1. No trinity. Every class has a heal on a timer. No class has a super heal.
2. WvW is pretty fun. If you liked DOAC, you will likely like this.
3. So you can play with me. Levels are irrelevant in this game for the most part. Not saying you can take your level 1 into a level 80 zone. But a level 80 still gets rewarded for grouping and doing stuff with a lower level person.
4. What else is there to do?

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 06:55:42 PM

I want to farm nameds with Katiri!

I'm in, because I had fun. I play mmo wrong and just like messing around. This game is good for that. While TOR was the first game I wanted to group in, GW2 is the first game that makes me not hate random jackholes playing in the same area, the more the better! I don't really pvp much, but I guess I would at some point because apparently zerging evil doors is fun.

Hated GW1 so I was worried about this one, shouldn't have been.

I think Trippy is nuts about the art team, but...I also like dressing like a purple 70s pimp, so...and I was playing a mesmer who summons illusions of himself, so PURPLE PIMP POSSE!

No sub.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 07:02:37 PM

The art is a little schizophrenic. Some of the armor, for example, is jaw-droppingly good, some of it is so overdesigned it makes the worst excesses of WoW look like a line drawing.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 07:09:37 PM

I thought the GW1 art style was awful, but this seems marginally better to me for some reason.  Except the hydrocephalic faerie-things.   And the GW1 gameplay wore really thin for me really fast (I think I got to about level 8 or so).

But I am intrigued by the limiting of hotkeys, the lack of subscription, all this level-matching stuff, and the whole shitload of people (many of whom are not on F13  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?) saying 'it's awesome, and it's different then GW1, and good'.  If they ever have a demo or a beta I can actually get in, I'm there.  And if it goes on sale, I am prrrrrobably in.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 07:14:21 PM

While this is concept art it should give you a good feeling for the wide range of the art:

Some of it really gets into Wayne Reynolds "I need straps with buckles to hold in place all the straps with buckles" territory for me. ("It looks good, but could you add a couple more capes?") But then other pieces are totally  DRILLING AND MANLINESS.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 07:16:38 PM

So then, best place to buy? Price & pre-order rewards? Or are the rewards the same for everyone?
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 07:26:50 PM

The world art is incredible, the actual characters, armor and particle effects I don't care for.  Some of the bosses look cool though.

I'm buying it because there is no sub and I'm sure it will have more than enough content to cover the purchase price, then whenever I want to PvP or explore I can always fire it up.

Also, Keg fights.

While this is concept art it should give you a good feeling for the wide range of the art:

Some of it really gets into Wayne Reynolds "I need straps with buckles to hold in place all the straps with buckles" territory for me. ("It looks good, but could you add a couple more capes?") But then other pieces are totally  DRILLING AND MANLINESS.
Some nut made a video with every race/armor combo.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 07:42:54 PM

Even though I wasn't 100% impressed with it I'm still buying it.  It was fun and has some things going for it (and is a lot more actiony than other MMOs).  I decided to pull the trigger because:

1) Since they are an MMO mostly relying on box sales it's doubtful the cost will drop dramatically, at least not until an expansion or two has been released so I might as well get it now rather than trying to wait till ti's cheaper
2) There's no sub, so if I get bored I can pick it back up later at any point.

I also think part of my underwhelmed with the beta weekend I played was more that I had to get over the fact that it's not GW1 and that it's vastly different than any other MMO out there, and it's a bit overwhelming at first.

It's pretty low risk unless you are extremely strapped for cash.
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 08:25:58 PM

So then, best place to buy? Price & pre-order rewards? Or are the rewards the same for everyone?

Greenmangaming.com has had it for sale at 20-25% off and I think they will have it for sale again before release.  Just a quick note, your credit card may be flagged after your purchase as a potential fraudulent charge (happened to me, but I expected it after reading about it happening to others) and if this happens your bank will let you know.  My key was available right away though and registered on the GW2 site no problem.

It's a PvP focused game. If PvE is what you enjoy it doesn't look like there will be enough content to keep you busy for a while. PvE from what little I've experienced is decent but not great.

I went in expecting to only PvP but I ended up loving the PvE because of how fun it was to explore everywhere.  I had a blast just cruising/swimming around, although I do wish the running speed was faster.  No trinity is the big draw for me because everyone can do everything, and on top of that:

• No quest givers, you just run around exploring and you bump into events that change based on what happens during the event.  After an event, NPCs can branch off and start new events.
  • Everyone is always in a group (no kill steals, full xp for contributions, rewards for everyone, nodes/trees/plants can be gathered by everyone).
  • Diversions all over the place just for exploring (vistas, jumping puzzles, crafting/cooking, points of interest, skill point challenges, etc).
  • Down-leveling to help people stick together and it will keep you rewarded for exploring all areas and tagging skill points, even in other race's starting areas.

Before playing this for myself I was leaning toward a purchase just on videos mainly because:

Being a one-time cost, you should support them if for nothing else than encouraging future companies to stop making the same shit over and over.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 08:27:43 PM

The art team sucks compared to the one that did GW1 (plus the outside design firm whose name I don't remember that did a lot of the modelling and animation work). When I get home I'll post pics of my "studded leather" pants.
Behold my "studded leather" pants:

At least two people thought that art work was acceptable -- the person who created it and the person who approved it. Now I don't blame the person who created it, it may have been some junior person in China who did it and perhaps something got lost in translation along the way. The person who approved it, though, is an idiot.

Also note that my top is not quilted armor, it's also "studded leather".

Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 08:34:44 PM

I read through the blog and most of the features are really tempting if I had the time to play it.

The box price is pretty reasonable but ah life!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #20 on: August 08, 2012, 08:38:52 PM

Pre-order rewards are the same wherever you buy it, thankfully.
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 08, 2012, 08:46:16 PM

I also hated those pants lol (thought its a sylvari thing ,them being gay elfs and all). But I think nitpicking over one particular set of outfits is just that - nitpicking. There are tons and tons of different and varied 
armor in the game and so what if some of them are not to everyone taste? Maybe someone want to make goofy looking characters. I mean after all I could pick on you for the acid bright green color you picked
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 08, 2012, 08:48:41 PM

Yeah, at this point, you pretty much missed the boat on the physical collectors edition, which is the only reason to NOT buy it directly from ArenaNet, unless you're one of those weirdos that wants a physical disk for an online only game.

https://buy.guildwars2.com/en/

edit:  this assumes you don't find it on sale from someone else, mind you
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 10:04:34 PM by Ard »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #23 on: August 08, 2012, 09:13:52 PM

I also hated those pants lol (thought its a sylvari thing ,them being gay elfs and all). But I think nitpicking over one particular set of outfits is just that - nitpicking. There are tons and tons of different and varied 
armor in the game and so what if some of them are not to everyone taste? Maybe someone want to make goofy looking characters.
That was certainly the most egregious example I ran across during the final beta weekend but that wasn't the only bad bit of art design I ran across. I didn't bother to take pictures of the others, though. One animation in particular is giving what used to the stupidest attack animation I've ever seen in an MMORPG a run for its money, so to speak. In EQ II there is/was an animation where you are stabbing downward sort of standing sideways but you aren't holding the weapon in a reverse grip so you are stabbing downward with your thumb pointing down if you imagine it extended while holding a hilt of a blade with an arc that goes over your head because of the sideways position. In GW2 there's a "strong attack" move that's literally an uppercut sword swing and somehow magically your giant blade clears the ground while you are swinging upwards with two hands.

I mean after all I could pick on you for the acid bright green color you picked
You certainly could do that. In my defense the colors looked fine with my starter armor and I didn't realize those colors carried over to every armor piece I found. I thought it would be like GW 1 where most things were a "neutral" color when picked up and you had to explicitly dye things to get other colors.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 09, 2012, 07:21:02 AM

The art is a little schizophrenic. Some of the armor, for example, is jaw-droppingly good, some of it is so overdesigned it makes the worst excesses of WoW look like a line drawing.
I challenge you to a Bad Armor Off!  (You can just randomly pick anything from the raid tiers and save me the effort. tongue)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 09, 2012, 07:32:58 AM

I'm glad I worked on my hom cause I do agree all newb armor looks like complete ass.  The starting armor on the other hand looks pretty good so you feel like you are downgrading when you start to find gear.

I am the .00000001428%
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: August 09, 2012, 07:45:09 AM

Over the BWEs and stress tests I've come to appreciate the way this game lets you tailor the experience to you play style.  For my unfocussed dinking around distracted by the new shiny all the time way of playing it is just about perfect, I don't have a quest list staring me in the face when I log in so I can do whatever I feel like.  Thanks to fairly seamless downleveling if I want to check out another race's starting area or help a friend, I don't have to roll a new character but can just take my level whatever guy over there and play.  The personal story looks interesting but at least through level 25ish or so it was entirely optional as far as I could tell.  I really liked the way the game encourages cooperation in PVE by rewarding everyone involved in a kill with full loot and XP.  I found myself playing in spontaneous groups ranging from duos to mass event zergs for surprisingly long stretches of time.  

The small group PvP I did seemed fun enough but by its nature requires a lot more organization and focus than I'm likely to invest in the game.  WvW was a ton of fun either running around as part of the zerg or in the semi organized BC groups that popped up.  

My only real gripe is that after playing GW2 I can't bring myself to play GW1 any more so I'm never getting past the heritage armor in the Hall of Legends.  
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: August 09, 2012, 08:10:31 AM

I was the complete opposite, every weekend event  encouraged me to try again.  I'm hoping this stress test will push to get the last  2 points for 30/50.

I am the .00000001428%
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 09, 2012, 08:22:14 AM

I should really work on my HoM again. I think I'm just at the grindy or expensive bits I don't want to deal with though. Like armor sets.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: August 09, 2012, 08:48:07 AM

Having rareish minipets and unopened 6th+ birthday presents is a good way to get enough $ for at least the low 20s in the HOM (esp if you already had pets saved up).

That, or a GW1 sugar{daddy/mommy}. :p

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: August 09, 2012, 08:53:18 AM

I had a 7th birthday present that lasted me until 28/50.  I was also very lazy choosing to pay for stuff like the black moa mini rather than work on it myself though.

I am the .00000001428%
schild
Administrator

Reply #31 on: August 09, 2012, 09:07:14 AM

Having rareish minipets and unopened 6th+ birthday presents is a good way to get enough $ for at least the low 20s in the HOM (esp if you already had pets saved up).

I have every single GW1 present from the first through the last anniversary unopened. Is there a guide somewhere that can just help me knock this out in the shortest amount of time?
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 09, 2012, 09:12:57 AM

I'm glad I worked on my hom cause I do agree all newb armor looks like complete ass.  The starting armor on the other hand looks pretty good so you feel like you are downgrading when you start to find gear.

Unless you're a female caster, then your starting 'armor' is lingerie.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Over and out.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: August 09, 2012, 10:23:00 AM

I have every single GW1 present from the first through the last anniversary unopened. Is there a guide somewhere that can just help me knock this out in the shortest amount of time?

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/8510-comprehensive-hall-of-monuments-guide/
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: August 09, 2012, 10:24:10 AM

Unless you're a female caster, then your starting 'armor' is lingerie.  Ohhhhh, I see.

I like about half the female caster armor. The other half is absurd.

I really like most of the medium armor for everyone that I've seen. Even the silly low tier sets seem fine to me.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Should I buy this? Help!  
Jump to: