Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:16:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Minethings 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Minethings  (Read 93176 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: May 27, 2014, 08:20:29 AM

Anything else consumable ?  It seems really, really difficult to find a market.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #141 on: May 27, 2014, 09:18:56 AM

Gadgets are consumable -- you could check the markets for them between Franco and Alssa.  They're mined in Massua but there might be some pure merchants who just ship them from Massua to Franco, so you could potentially buy them there and then squeeze out some of your own profit by moving them inland.

Technically almost everything is consumable to some extent (except maybe avatars) because you use them up to form melds, or you lose them in combat, or you decide they aren't worth hanging on to or selling and you just trash them, etc.  But a lot of yellows get mined faster than they get removed from the world so the market ends up getting saturated with them.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: May 29, 2014, 03:34:49 AM

I have run out of inventory space.

THIS IS INTOLERABLE.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #143 on: May 30, 2014, 09:22:16 PM

Just found Deathmobile Mk 2.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: May 31, 2014, 01:04:24 AM

That tank is fast !

I'm getting shafted here though.  Just not enough cash floating around.  The market for low level items is piss poor.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: May 31, 2014, 07:05:40 AM

Give us a complete rundown of outfitting vehicles for combat ?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #146 on: May 31, 2014, 06:50:08 PM

To look at a specific vehicle, click its "status" on the VEHICLES screen:

This shows you all about the vehicle.  Equipping it with weapons is just a matter of sending the weapons with it as cargo; nothing special there.  Mods work differently; they don't do anything unless you "install" them.  On the vehicle status screen you see the currently installed mods; click [mods] to reconfigure them:

That brings you to a screen that shows you all the mods in your inventory in that city (I don't have any, but here's where I'd see them) as well as the installed mods.  Installed mods will be highlighted.  On this screen you can basically select and deselect the mods to be installed, and it'll show you the stats for the vehicle based on your new selection.

Click "install" once you're happy with the setup.  For yellows you can install and uninstall for free; higher level mods cost bolts to install.

As far as what the stats mean.... combat in MT is kind of nonsensical but not TOO complicated.  The help does a bad job of explaining it so I'll try using my words.

Armor: the vehicle's hit points.
Attack: the vehicle inflicts this much damage every round.
Offense: the aggressor inflicts this much damage MINUS the defender's Dodge every round.
Defense: the defender reduces the aggressor's Attack by this much MINUS the aggressor's Dodge every round.
Dodge: this gets subtracted from your opponents Offense/Defense.

If you're a trader, you're the defender, and a highwayman is the aggressor.

There's a bit of rock-paper-scissors here.  Your Dodge negates his Offense but not his Attack.  Your Defense negates his Attack, but only if he doesn't match it with Dodge.  He has no way of negating your Attack, but he can easily have more Offense than you have Attack.  Etc.  Each mod or weapon counts against your vehicle's cargo capacity, so you're limited on how many you can use.  My strategy is always to go all in on Attack/Dodge; that way I don't need to take up inventory space with weapons.  I just hope that my Dodge completely negates his Offense, and that my Attack beats his.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #147 on: May 31, 2014, 07:09:49 PM

Well poop, I just learned that you can't switch professions away from manufacturer while you have a job in progress, even if you don't have anyone working on it.  So I need to stay a manufacturer until I'm finished building this factory or I lose all the labor I've already put into it.  Good to know.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #148 on: June 01, 2014, 08:08:07 AM

Oh!  The very basic thing I neglected to mention is the combat tiers.  There are three: yellow, green/blue, and red/purple/orange.  Combat only happens within the same tier.  Cargo is also limited by tier; yellows can only carry yellows, and only yellows can carry yellows.

Mods and weapons of a lower tier than the vehicle can be used, though, as evidenced by my red vehicle having blue mods installed.  (The reverse is not true; you can't mount a (blue) iron missile turret on a (yellow) rickshaw.)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 08:12:02 AM by Samwise »

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: June 01, 2014, 10:55:08 AM

Actually, I think you missed more than that.  I just played around with outfitting my vans to find that one of them can no longer move due to negative numbers.

GODDAMN IT.  My bad.

What would be your suggestions for outfitting combat vans ?   why so serious?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #150 on: June 01, 2014, 07:51:04 PM

Yeah, you can't have any negative numbers.  That's the bit I mentioned about needing weapons to offset Offense/Defense penalties (which is why I try to just avoid those mods -- not worth losing all that cargo space IMO).  My Deathmobile needs to carry 2 defense worth of weaponry before I can send it anywhere; I tolerate the penalty there because the bonuses on that mod (titanium drive shaft, red tier) are otherwise fantastic.

For greens, same advice as for yellow, except the green mod tier doesn't have nice simple single-stat bonuses like yellow and blue do, and blues are too expensive to waste on a green vehicle.  You can stack mods whose bonuses offset each other's penalties, though.

I used mostly stagecoaches for my green trading FWIW; they have a naturally high attack that makes them pretty dangerous even when not outfitted.  Improperly equipped highwaymen will actually wreck themselves on your empty bubble vehicles sometimes, it's awesome.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #151 on: June 03, 2014, 12:07:26 PM

If you enjoy haggling with truculent laborers and very infrequent logins, Manufacturer is your dream profession.

Six days until I can swap back to Trader and ship off all the stuff I've been mining while trying to get this goddamn factory built.  Franco Thistle needs more workers.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: June 03, 2014, 12:10:26 PM

You should probably stop telling them that you oiling them up is a perk ....

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #153 on: June 03, 2014, 01:07:06 PM

It increases their output.   why so serious?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: June 04, 2014, 01:05:51 AM

Switched back to mining 'things' and found.... a yellow skirt.

Flicked back to mining Gold.

This game is far, far, far, far, far too glacial and the market is not available for newbs.

Yeah, yeah, plowing your mom, etc....

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #155 on: June 04, 2014, 08:23:48 AM

All the gold that's in the game comes from newbs mining gold with their starter mines.  You're an essential part of the ecosystem.   awesome, for real

Once you save up enough for your second mine, your mining output will nearly double, so there's that to look forward to.  If you can swing 8g profit on each bolt you ship from Alssa to Danchesser that's only 1k bolts you gotta move.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: June 04, 2014, 08:49:56 AM

You're not helping.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #157 on: June 04, 2014, 09:28:20 AM

I been playing this thing for a couple years, remember.  It's all about the slow buildup so you can look back and marvel at how you built an empire from nothing.

Basically, you gotta think about the game on the scale of weeks instead of minutes.

Clash of Clans is actually similar in that respect (been playing that one for a couple years now too).  I like games that are like gardening.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 09:32:44 AM by Samwise »

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: June 04, 2014, 01:38:54 PM

It's all right for you;  you've got that fucking picture in your attic.

I may DIE before I even get to the next level of this shit.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #159 on: June 04, 2014, 01:50:46 PM

I'm sure Elena will be more than capable of taking over the family business when you're gone.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: June 04, 2014, 01:55:04 PM

I WANT MORE FOR MY DAUGHTER IN LIFE THAN SELLING YOU BOLTS UNTIL SHE CAN GET OUT OF YOUR OIL LADEN SWEATSHOP, YOU MONSTER.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #161 on: June 04, 2014, 01:59:02 PM

Wait till I try on the Banker profession and start selling you all adjustable rate loans.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: June 04, 2014, 02:02:34 PM

I did switch to worker for a brief five minutes before reading the terms and conditions and thinking 'hey, fuck that'.

Also, Banking really, really seems like a no win, since you're under no obligation to pay back ever.  I mean, how the hell does that even work Huh

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #163 on: June 04, 2014, 02:19:52 PM

I'm a little baffled by that one too tbh.  You do have a "credit report" that follows you, so if you default on a loan, ain't nobody ever lending to you again, and given how long it takes to build up your character in this game, reputation might be more valuable than it is in most games.  But you could still take out one big loan after establishing good credit, default on it, and just never touch banking again.  If you were a colossal dick.

I don't "get" borrowing and lending in real life either, though.

Worker is a great profession if you want to basically take a vacation from the game for a week and get paid cold hard gold for it.  You'll get paid much better if you move out of Alssa, which is basically the Home Depot parking lot of Calbuco.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 02:22:11 PM by Samwise »

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: June 04, 2014, 02:21:30 PM

If you were a colossal dick.

Speaking of which ;  buy my shit.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 11:14:39 AM by Ironwood »

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: June 06, 2014, 11:31:02 AM

What the fuck, some dwarf stowed away and made my shipments a prime target, so I lost the whole fucking ship.

FUCK DWARVES.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #166 on: June 06, 2014, 12:14:20 PM

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #167 on: June 06, 2014, 09:51:57 PM

Speaking of which ;  buy my shit.

Just checked your listings -- good luck selling those mods.  After having listings out at 1g each for weeks at a time I gave up on that racket and set all the mods I didn't plan to use myself to auto-trash.  And then sold my mod mine.  The market for them is just crap.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: June 07, 2014, 01:15:46 AM

I wasn't actually planning on 'selling' them, I just wanted fucking rid of them.  But yeah, I'll trash that shit after a set amount of time.

Oddly, I'm having a TON more success on the other server where I'm a merchant and I picked up a really cheap spreadsheet and found some real fucking deals that I'm just finishing off.

That's the issue really where we are ;  there doesn't seem to be a market anywhere that you can dabble in and, frankly, it's far, far too cutthroat for some reason.  The other servers been more fun somehow because there's much more sense of achievement.  Sure, it might only be 50 gold here and there, but it makes you feel as if you're time is not being entirely wasted.

I ship shit left right and centre on our server only to have to tumble prices because I'm competing with someone who either doesn't care about margins or is just getting rid of shit.

Hey ho, it'll all work out.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #169 on: June 07, 2014, 11:18:32 AM

I am kind of tempted to check out the newest servers for comparison, but once I start running multiple accounts on a game like this madness soon follows.  OTOH if there was one game that would be safe to play on many servers at once without being a huge time suck, this would be the one.  Is your other dude on E-whatever?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: June 07, 2014, 11:45:59 AM

I have one on A, B and C.

D and E I've avoided, because, you know, that'd be silly.

B is doing the 'best', but some cunt just stole 3 xylophones, so you know.  Swings and Roundabouts.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #171 on: June 07, 2014, 01:11:10 PM

CONFIRMED FOR BROMO

wtb tutorial orange

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #172 on: June 07, 2014, 02:15:24 PM

Oh wow, this map is fuckin weird.  I'm going to try not to spoil it for myself by looking up which mines are where.  Time to mine some gold and build a business.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: June 07, 2014, 02:29:02 PM

Cool, we can form a consortium of shiteness !!

I'm boating around.  I have tons of boats sending tons of stuff.  I'll probably be bankrupt soon.  Let me know if you want some starting scratch...

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #174 on: June 09, 2014, 11:11:02 AM

Nobody is selling rickshaws in Fort Lynn at anything resembling a reasonable price.  I am stranded.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Minethings  
Jump to: