Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:52:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: What's your first character going to be? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's your first character going to be?  (Read 69569 times)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: September 16, 2012, 10:04:51 AM

Max height asura is really the only way to go, you feel less like a brownie and more like a hobbit.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #281 on: September 16, 2012, 10:28:34 AM

I think that "maxxes their height" thing only applies to the dudes, because my norn chicks have been taller than most of the other ones I've run across, and I only maxxed one of them (I think I maxxed Sjofn, Birna is a little shorter?). On the other hand, I forgot to adjust my human lady's height and she was apparently short. I am shorter than everyone and it is totally weird.

God Save the Horn Players
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #282 on: September 16, 2012, 12:35:18 PM

My norn thief is short, as is my norn guardian. My human warrior I made big, just wondering how close to a small norn that would be (a bit smaller).
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: September 16, 2012, 04:52:25 PM

I think that "maxxes their height" thing only applies to the dudes, because my norn chicks have been taller than most of the other ones I've run across, and I only maxxed one of them (I think I maxxed Sjofn, Birna is a little shorter?). On the other hand, I forgot to adjust my human lady's height and she was apparently short. I am shorter than everyone and it is totally weird.

Most male characters max height, most female un-max it I find. Tall Norn women are actually sorta rare.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Genev
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: September 16, 2012, 04:59:19 PM

I tend to prefer shorter end of the spectrum... i Hate playing races like Asura, Gnomes, etc though :p
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #285 on: September 16, 2012, 06:45:45 PM

I usually min height everything. My human is really small compared to most I've seen.  My Asura's hair is almost taller than he is.

-Rasix
sachiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: September 16, 2012, 07:02:04 PM

Most male characters max height, most female un-max it I find. Tall Norn women are actually sorta rare.

Selma went max height norn chick.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #287 on: September 16, 2012, 09:06:05 PM

Selma is a fellow amazon, I think maybe tall chicks prefer to play tall chicks. :P

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: September 17, 2012, 12:55:19 AM

For as dumb as the Pet AI is, I REALLY like how they handle ranger pets and the in combat swapping and reviving. Unless something is going incredibly wrong, you should have a pet ready to go all the time.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: September 17, 2012, 01:04:49 AM

When I hit 80 on my asura ele and went to make a guardian alt, I was originally thinking norn or sylvari.

Then I saw someone doing the greatsword whirl on an asura and there was no going back. ALL ABOARD THE ASURACOPTER! In fact, I'm using staff as a secondary weapon (instead of the more logical scepter+focus for defense + range) due to the float-into-the-air-around-the-staff animation of Empower.  awesome, for real

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #290 on: September 17, 2012, 03:23:27 AM

The vast majority of non-Asuras seem to slide that thing alllll the way to the top, too.  I made a human and a norn both slightly-above-average, but next to everyone else in town you'd think I made them midgets.

That's not my experience on my Norn. He's about 3/4 the way up and towers over almost all the other Norns I've met. I'm frankly really surprised by how many people choose to be short. Especially the lady Norns.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #291 on: September 17, 2012, 03:58:16 AM

Non-amazons are intimidated by the thought of being amazons. Duh.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #292 on: September 17, 2012, 04:09:19 AM

The vast majority of non-Asuras seem to slide that thing alllll the way to the top, too.  I made a human and a norn both slightly-above-average, but next to everyone else in town you'd think I made them midgets.

That's not my experience on my Norn. He's about 3/4 the way up and towers over almost all the other Norns I've met. I'm frankly really surprised by how many people choose to be short. Especially the lady Norns.

For me, it is psychological. The bigger the character, the slower she/he looks while moving. I hate the lumbering feel of big tall characters. That and the jump puzzles and vistas seem easier to navigate without a huge body in the way of that tiny platform I have to jump on.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #293 on: September 17, 2012, 04:24:08 AM

Selma is a fellow amazon, I think maybe tall chicks prefer to play tall chicks. :P

Gender stereotypes are gender stereotypes.    The same thing happened in COH which I noticed this weekend again when I reloaded for one last hurrah. I made a lot of my females in the 6'-6" height range and they towered over the other ladies there.   My 1st character I made my height - 5'-11 - and he was really short when standing next to all the other male characters of the same body type. (human).   

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #294 on: September 17, 2012, 06:45:42 AM

In a pvp game, folks usually pick the smallest race and minimize size in all other races.
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: September 17, 2012, 10:22:45 AM

I made giant Norns so I don't get lost in melee but the size makes jumping puzzles just frustrating enough where I wish I picked the shortest option or went with a less robust race.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: September 17, 2012, 10:28:09 AM

Yea I've heard that around. And I saw it with that one jump puzzle in northern Lion's Arch. Friend's Norn just couldn't make the jump to one of the pillars due to ceiling height. Since I keep hearing this, sounds like something that couldn't get fixed once QA identified it because it goes back to world geometry and didn't have a "put rock in place" simple fix.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 10:30:12 AM by Darniaq »
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: September 17, 2012, 10:36:05 AM

Yea I've heard that around. And I saw it with that one jump puzzle in northern Lion's Arch. Friend's Norn just couldn't make the jump to one of the pillars due to ceiling height. Since I keep hearing this, sounds like something that couldn't get fixed once QA identified it because it goes back to world geometry and didn't have a "put rock in place" simple fix.

I have the biggest Norn I can and didn't have any troubles with the jump puzzles in LA. I think the actual collision point on the big Norn is somewhere in their chest.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
sachiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: September 17, 2012, 10:46:08 AM

I have the biggest Norn I can and didn't have any troubles with the jump puzzles in LA. I think the actual collision point on the big Norn is somewhere in their chest.

Yeah, but it still messes with your brain and view perspective.  Selma had a ton of issues with the scaffolding in that south vista in Dredgehaunt.  I piloted her character up after my human and taking the same route, got her stuck in several spots where I didn't. 
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: September 17, 2012, 10:57:49 AM

Huh. Friend of mine couldn't make it. It looked like it was her head hitting the roof. But it couldn't been her chest, which as tall as the character was, was probably higher than my character's head top smiley
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Once split a 12.5lb burger with a friend.

Reply #300 on: September 17, 2012, 11:00:28 AM

Huh. Friend of mine couldn't make it. It looked like it was her head hitting the roof. But it couldn't been her chest, which as tall as the character was, was probably higher than my character's head top smiley
Having this same issue with my big Norn on the one with the pillars in the tunnel. It sure feels like I'm hitting my head, and after a few tries on 3 separate I was too nauseous to carry on so I gave it up. Have yet to try that one with my Asura.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: September 17, 2012, 11:07:39 AM

This seems to be a recurring issue in new MMOs... my type 3 body (basically, big and buff) Human Male Trooper in SWtOR often has trouble getting into gaps smaller characters can easily fit in.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #302 on: September 17, 2012, 01:00:56 PM

Gender stereotypes are gender stereotypes.    The same thing happened in COH which I noticed this weekend again when I reloaded for one last hurrah. I made a lot of my females in the 6'-6" height range and they towered over the other ladies there.   My 1st character I made my height - 5'-11 - and he was really short when standing next to all the other male characters of the same body type. (human).  

Even in D&D, where you can't even SEE my character, I don't make short characters. My shortest human ever is 5'9", and I feel like she's a midget. Even my halflings I make tall (for halflings). :P

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: September 17, 2012, 01:16:44 PM

I'm 183cm tall IRL and I play gnomes/dwarves/bothans etc whenever possible. It's partially due to the awesome/amusing factor of a 90cm midget cleaving a 2-meter brute's face off with a stupidly huge 2-h sword (ridiculous hairstyle like pink pigtails or afro are a bonus), partially because I've been a fan of gnomes ever since Mountain Nevermind's tinker gnomes in Dragonlance 1st edition AD&D (yes, we played Dragonlance at the highschool RPG club. We were inspired by the SSI Gold Box games. DON'T JUDGE ME)

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: September 17, 2012, 01:22:52 PM

Tinker gnomes? WELCOME TO MY IGNORE LIST, SIR.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: September 17, 2012, 01:31:14 PM

Tinker gnomes? WELCOME TO MY IGNORE LIST, SIR.
I made an entire MUD zone of Mountain Nevermind, too. The .are file is 700 kilobytes, there are ~300 rooms (lots of e-descs), and at least 20 different (named) minoi NPCs along with a bunch of un-named ones. Does that make things better or worse? (in my defense, this WAS high school...)

Ihaven'tevenintroducedyoutomynewestinvention, haveyouheardabouttheRotokrallerMarkMCMLXVIII?  why so serious?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 01:37:03 PM by Zetor »

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: September 17, 2012, 01:32:49 PM

I can't read what you're saying since I am ignoring you, but the fact that you used the word minoi is not helping your cause.

Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: September 17, 2012, 01:56:11 PM

Damn gnomes.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #308 on: September 17, 2012, 02:13:22 PM

Damn gnomes.

Gnomes are good for one thing.  Testing how sharp a weapon is.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: September 18, 2012, 04:28:44 AM

Damn gnomes.

And seeing how far a cannon can fire.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: September 18, 2012, 06:13:35 AM

Damn gnomes.

And seeing how far a cannon can fire.

Fortunately, I see Asura as more akin to carnivorous, floppy eared bunnies than gnomes so it's all good.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: September 18, 2012, 06:19:03 AM

Fortunately, I see Asura as more akin to carnivorous, floppy eared bunnies than gnomes so it's all good.

I get a real "agile Podlings with big ears" feel from Asura.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: September 18, 2012, 06:27:02 AM

I was playing Elementalist, but just started a Thief for a change of pace and my goodness it is so much more fun.
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: September 18, 2012, 06:56:35 AM

I was playing Elementalist, but just started a Thief for a change of pace and my goodness it is so much more fun.

I started off as thief, but after guard and warrior, I go back to thief and cry at how fast I get knocked down. Squishy is an understatement. Yeah yeah... L2P and all that. I'd just assume go play my clothy necro who does not die.  awesome, for real

ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: September 27, 2012, 01:48:04 PM

Managed to narrow it down to thief or mesmer for pve.  I'd ditch both in a heartbeat if engineers had a melee weapon (not the toolkit unlocked later).

Thief is fun after I got used to initiative.  Gap closers, easy aoe, bleeds make damage numbers sprinkle out of everything, the blind on pistol off-hand lets me facetank and the 25% speed sigil is great for exploring.

I'm not sure why I'm finding mesmer fun but I keep coming back to it.  It's a slug for exploring and I don't feel powerful, shattering or not (~lvl 33).  Setting up phantasms around a champion is pretty funny though.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: What's your first character going to be?  
Jump to: