Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:27:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Chern-R-Us, or As I walk through the valley of the shadow of zeds. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chern-R-Us, or As I walk through the valley of the shadow of zeds.  (Read 94856 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #105 on: January 14, 2014, 05:27:39 PM

Knocking the guy out, cuffing him, hiding the keys, and then waking him up before leaving is the best possible use of the unconsciousness mechanic.  Well done.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #106 on: January 14, 2014, 05:38:50 PM

I considered force-feeding him a rotten banana and then telling him to find some charcoal to counteract the poisoning before he died, but I'm not that sadistic.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #107 on: January 14, 2014, 05:41:10 PM

I considered force-feeding him a rotten banana and then telling him to find some charcoal to counteract the poisoning before he died, but I'm not that sadistic.

Not yet anyway. Bugs do terrible things to a man...

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #108 on: January 15, 2014, 02:50:49 AM

I head out and notice I haven't had a hunger message in over an hour since I ate that bag of rice. I may have found the key.

That is the key. Once you tip over the "hungry" green message you should still eat in order to be well fed. That eventually puts you in "healing mode", on top of removing the constant complains of your stomach for a decent amount of time. Don't over-eat though, or you'll vomit everything and will be starving all of a sudden.

About water, as much as your body needs way more of it, with a pump being present in pretty much every single town I can't see that being a problem at all. Always drink from the pumo until you get the "I feel full" or something. It takes between 20 and 50 sips, depending how thirst you are. No kidding. If anything I wonder if water is too easy to get once you become good at using the map.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #109 on: January 15, 2014, 09:30:43 AM

Not yet anyway. Bugs do terrible things to a man...

You can leave notes, right?

"I want to play a game..."

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #110 on: January 15, 2014, 01:09:04 PM

Oh, the jackassery I could get up to...

The only problem with that is that the poison mechanic as it stands right now is too quick. If I could "reward" bad behavior with something that, I dunno, left you at half your abilities for a certain number of in-game hours, that would be cool. Far more effective than killing someone too.

Maybe they should code in tazers.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #111 on: January 15, 2014, 01:15:16 PM

Off topic, but I guess this is a good thread to ask.  Have any of you tried Rust yet?   awesome, for real  Figure it would draw many here towards it.

Played a bit of DayZ, but really couldn't get into it.  Rust sounds like they're trying to do this game competently (much like many keep trying to do dwarf fortress competently).  Input on if they themselves are competent would be appreciated.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #112 on: January 15, 2014, 01:24:52 PM

Problem with the need to drink all the time is the same problem wildebeast have in the savannah.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
schpain
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: January 15, 2014, 01:27:52 PM

Well, the other night I went unconscious, and happened to come back to "life" after about 5 minutes. Then I went out again a few minutes later, and regained consciousness after 1 minute. I think this random stuff is awesome. Don't like it? Play War Z.

thats cold Falc.  I thought we had something special  awesome, for real

*Should be working*
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: January 15, 2014, 02:01:32 PM

Off topic, but I guess this is a good thread to ask.  Have any of you tried Rust yet?   awesome, for real  Figure it would draw many here towards it.

Played a bit of DayZ, but really couldn't get into it.  Rust sounds like they're trying to do this game competently (much like many keep trying to do dwarf fortress competently).  Input on if they themselves are competent would be appreciated.

Rust is Eve Online played with Axes and a Loincloth.

Hic sunt dracones.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #115 on: January 15, 2014, 02:40:13 PM

And teabagging.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: January 15, 2014, 03:18:09 PM

Well, the other night I went unconscious, and happened to come back to "life" after about 5 minutes. Then I went out again a few minutes later, and regained consciousness after 1 minute. I think this random stuff is awesome. Don't like it? Play War Z.

thats cold Falc.  I thought we had something special  awesome, for real

Sorry, seriously. Didn't mean to be mean. I just am very happy that for once -FOR ONCE- there's a game that is completely uncompromising. I almost can't believe Rocket hasn't toned his vision down yet. I guess the 20 millions in 4 weeks are giving him the right to be right by default.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: January 15, 2014, 03:22:01 PM

On poisoning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96Pv7aHefyI

Also: tazers will be in, Rocket confirmed that a while ago.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: January 15, 2014, 04:31:30 PM

I tried Rust, I have it and I like it. But despite what Rocket says (that Rust has more content than Day Z) I feel much less compelled to play it in its present stage. At the moment you can't do much other than building your little structure that will be very easily wiped or C4'ed just because they can. I think the point is in its current stage Rust promotes the forming of communities and "cities" more than Day Z (for obvious reasons), and of course crafting and gathering are fun activities if you are into that. But Day Z has this incredibly beautiful huge world, and exploration and scavenging are much more compelling activities to me at the moment.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #119 on: January 15, 2014, 07:45:32 PM

Rust to me just seems less compelling. One of the reasons I keep putting up with rocket's shenanigans is because the whole zombie apocalypse in a former soviet republic thing just does it for me. Cavemen with shotguns and C4, not as much.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #120 on: January 15, 2014, 11:01:55 PM

"And you can have it all, my empire of dirt..."

I left Chernarus with the question lingering in my mind of what I should do with all of the supplies I'd acquired. On my next login, that question was answered very quickly.

Absofuckinglutely nothing because...

"I'm feeling thirsty"

I'm on the bean coast again in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, nothing in my pants but my nads and a flashlight. And no, I'm not happy to see you.

It looks like I'm on the eastern outskirts of Elektro. Again. I really don't give much of a shit at this point, so I run deeper into town, upright, top speed. A target for anyone good enough to take me out. No one does of course mostly because there's probably no one good enough with a Mosin to hit me.

I hit the fire station in the center of town and laying outside is a dead guy in a blue "Press" vest and a med pack. I loot his corpse and move into the fire station. There are three other dead bodies in here too. One of them has a .357 magnum on him as well. There are four rounds still in it. I think two of these guys offed each other. I grab an old Russian camo jacket and pants. There's a tac vest here too, but fuck it. My Press vest will be my badge of honor. I'll wear it no matter what else I find.

On the top floor is a Mosin and a scope, effectively giving me the only sniper rifle currently scroungable in Chernarus. Apparently if zero fucks are given, you are rewarded. Maybe that's why assholes prosper so much here. I've figured out what I'm going to do with my next few hoards of gear. I'm gonna become Chernarus' Johnny Appleseed. A Johnny Chernoseed, if you will. I will run around leaving bits of gear in more barren places than the usual. Noobs will be able to find shit closer to their spawn points.

That is, of course, if the server doesn't wipe my shit again. And, provided I actually survive long enough to hoard that gear. My mission for the time being is clear. I loot the second fire station, where I find two canteens, a .45, two mags and about 40 rounds for it, a pack and a few cans of beans. I then run up the hill, drink my fill and fill the canteens to the top. Next stop, Cherno and then a run at Balota.

My trip to Chernogorsk is uneventful. My only companions my heavy breathing and the constant beating of my feet across the countryside. As I round my way toward the construction site on the eastern edge of town, I run afoul of a couple of zeds. I double tap them both and move into the construction site, grabbing as much cover as possible. After a check of my surroundings and making sure I haven't brought any more attention to myself than necessary, I loot what I can from the construction site. Some 7.62 for the mosin and some more food.

I climb to the top of the crane overlooking the construction site and use the mosin's scope to survey the area. No movement for a good three or four minutes gives me confidence to come down and move deeper into town. I also notice something I hadn't seen before, the International hotel at the center of town, pretty much the only high-rise in Cherno proper, has a huge chunk ripped out of its side. There's damage to the building across the street as well. It's pretty much burned to the ground. What the fuck happened there?

I move in closer, putting two rounds in each zeke I come by. The efficient "pop" "pops" echoing off the walls of the empty pubs and shops of this dead town. Hopefully also sounding out a warning to any survivor that's feeling squirrelly that whoever is moving through town is not one to be casually fucked with.

I loot the pubs at the center of town and then make my way over to the hotel. Holy shit, is it a mess. I put down five more zeds who've come to disrupt my gawking and then I circle around to get the full view of what happened. A plane crashed into the building. A relatively small passenger plane. It's tail on the ground at the foot of the hotel facing the central square, the ripped up fuselage still embedded in the side of the building some 15 storeys up. The wings and the nose are nowhere to be seen. I put the whole thing down to Motherfuckin' Zekes on a Motherfuckin' Plane. Where's Samuel L. when you need him?

With my curiosity sated, I surreptitiously move on from the town center. I snake my way through the streets to the fire station here and find more .45 ammo and another .45. I take it all and start thinking of other places to leave it. I sneak into the back of the supermarket across from the fire station and leave the .357 and the ammo for it in one of the lockers there. I then head further west out of Cherno altogether. As I'm heaing futher down the shore, I see a derailed train. Cherno was an accident magnet when the shit hit the fan, apparently.

I get to the westernmost suburb of Cherno and head for one of the tower blocks. These things are the same as the ones in BZ, burned out and a total fucking mess. Also a great place to snipe noobs off the beach from. I could be such an evil fucker in this game and it would be so easy. Maybe that's why I take the road less travelled. Being a douche requires almost no effort other than staying alive long enough to gather loot. Staying alive and then using that loot to help people, now that's a challenge. Meh, these are musings for later.

I drop the second .45, a mag and 30 rounds of ammo in a bathroom on the third floor of the tower block and then decide to head up to the roof and see what kind of vantage point I can get on Balota from there.

There's a chapter in Stephen King's The Stand that details the secondary die off of people after Captain Tripps takes out 99.4% of the population of the world. This secondary die off is a lot more mundane and mostly has people dying in their bath tubs or electrocuting themselves doing something stupid. Not all of them die doing something stupid. Some just die due to bad luck. Like falling off a ladder and breaking their neck or bleeding out because there's no one else there to help them.

As I get to the top of the ladder leading to the roof, I suddenly fall back in the hole and break my leg. So much for that vantage point. I check both of the medpacks I looted on the way here, no morphine, so I'm doomed to crawl until I find some. I crawl back to the ladder and climb up again, this time making it to the rooftop. If I'm crawling into Balota, I want to know what I'm crawling into first. I make it to the edge and break out the mosin one more time to get a look at things. No signs of movement. I crawl back to the ladder and try to climb back down. I fall again.

You Are Dead.

I'm gonna miss that Press vest...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 11:13:55 PM by Surlyboi »

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #121 on: January 15, 2014, 11:12:23 PM

Everytime I read one of your updates, it simultaneously makes me want to play this game and to not play this game. Good job.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: January 16, 2014, 01:56:19 AM

I am sure it's a bug, but one time I bandaged my "broken" leg a three or four times and right after I was fine again. It should just work with splinters but it's worth a try next time.

Also, the press vest is one of the rarest spawns apparently. Not even Cherno Journo has it.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: January 16, 2014, 01:06:47 PM

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #124 on: January 18, 2014, 12:08:43 AM

Day 0:

Fuck if I know.

Actually, I think I'm somewhere far to the east of Elektro. Looks like Kamyshovo. Sadly, still no bitches to be seen, despite what I've heard.

I head a little bit east, as there's a small cluster of buildings in that direction. Among said buildings is a machine shed. In it, I find a purple day pack and a fire axe. I also find out that even though I'm Ten. Fucking. Feet. above a zeke, he can still apparently break my leg and cause me to bleed. Noted. I crawl my suddenly hobbled ass down the stairs and then struggle to stand up and plant the fire axe in Zeddy's skull. He's done, but I'm still left with only the ability to crawl. Great new start. I crawl out of the machine shed and into the warehouse nearby. I manage to attract another zed along the way and I'm done in no time.

Day 0:

The. Exact. Spot. I. Started. Last. Time. Greeeeaaat. At least I know where the zeds are and where there might be some passable starting gear. I head back to the warehouse and machine shed. My corpse and all the stuff that was with it is nowhere to be seen, but the zeds still are. Nice. I high-tail it into the warehouse again and find another axe, with which I make short work of the zed that last did me in. Maybe he was a tad slower because he was still feasting on my corpse. I run through the other buildings in the area and find a hoodie and a skull cap and some food and water. Not a bad haul for someone fresh off the beach. I figure I'll head west and hit Electro for the weapon essentials and then head north afterward.

As I'm running west, I hear a voice. I'm only slightly drunk, so I assume the voice isn't me. It's not. It's some guy that recently spawned nearby.

"Hey", he says, "please don't kill me, I've got nothing"

I stop and run back in his direction. True to his word, he's got fuck all. I throw him a can of beans and salute him while saying, "good luck"

"Wait!" He yells, "where ya headed?"

"Elektro," I say

He asks to join me. What the hell, why not?

We make our way west, stopping in the couple of small towns between Kamyshovo and Elektro, me covering his ass while he loots some gear and then expecting him to turn on me after he gets a weapon. This never actually happens. He tells me his tale of woe, illuminating me about how he got ambushed and ganked by some other people while he yelled, "friendly". I commiserate and say, "At least you didn't lose your shit to a server glitch or falling off a ladder." He agrees that sucks and then we move on.

As we get to the machine shed just to the east of Elektro, I move in an loot some more shit, inlcuding a better axe and a canteen. I come out of the shed and my companion is nowhere to be seen. I figure he must've just leapfrogged me deeper into town. No big. I slide along the outskirts myself, avoiding the center of town and the school and supermarket in particular, making my way for the fire station directly. There, I find two .45s and a magnum as well as the first can opener I've seen and a russian tactical jacket and vest.

I don all of this gear and grab the three pistols, thinking I'll be able to share one with my new buddy. I then double back to se three people running west from the supermarket toward the other fire station. I grab cover and slowly move in for the supermarket. There I see the new guy's corpse. Dead, but not looted. Those three guys killed him for shits and giggles and then moved on. I weigh going after them and trying to even the scales or just grabbing what I can from the supermarket and moving on.

Of course, I choose the former.

I break into a run westward and stop about a block away from the fire station. I've got 15 rounds with which I can make a difference, I need to make them count. I sneak closer in to the fire station and the three are nowhere to be seen. Did they log out? did the circle around? Who knows? I move closer in and find the fire station empty. I loot a couple more mags for the .45 and then clear out. Still no sign of the three.

With no clue where the three killers went, I decide to keep heading west. I might run into them, I might not, either way, I figure I can eventually get to Balota and maybe find better gear. That or die trying. As I make my way west, the server shits the bed and I'm booted.

The next one I log into is in the middle of the night. Luckliy, the moon is full and high in the sky. I continue my trek west and make it into Cherno without incident. I take my usual route, starting with the construction site and then working my way into the pubs, through the center of town and then out toward the fire station and supermarket.

As I'm getting close to the fire station, I aggro two zeds. I'm in stealth mode now, so  make short work of them with the fire axe and then duck into a building near the fire station. "I'm thirsty", pops into my field of vision, so I grab a wall and start drinking.

Then I hear the shot.

It whizzes by me to the left and I drop to prone and roll to the right, switching from axe to gun and coming up to crouch behind what looks like a sales counter. If the person shooting at me wasn't somewhere in front of me, I'm fucked. But, considering where I am and how the distance I think the sound came from, I think I'll be ok. I peek out and don't see anything movement or light-wise. Where the fuck did the shit come from? And how many am I dealing with?

My question is soon answered as I hear someone coming up behind me, I turn and see an axe at the ready, I fire two rounds, center mass and head and axe guy goes down. I run from cover to another nearby counter as three more shots ring out from somewhere in front of me. I fire two back in the general direction the fire came from and then wait a few more seconds before making an end-around the counter and running for the door near where the shots came from.

The shooter's just coming through the doorway as I get to it from the side and only catches me too late to react as I put two in him as well. I've still got the cover of the doorway as I loot his corpse of extra ammo and a bottle of water. My back to the wall near the doorway, waiting for anyone else that may come through it.

No one does. My heart slows down to a normal rhythm a few minutes later and I move out of the doorway and toward the fire station. There I find a third person. He's dead and there's a zed standing over him doing the Curly shuffle. I drop the zeke and ransack the fire station for a bit more food and some more ammo. Time to get out of Cherno. I figure the guys I shot were probably on vent channel together and are planning on how to regroup. I shouldn't be anywhere around here when they get back.

I skedaddle out of Cherno and make my way peacfully to Balota. It's dead quiet and offers no resistance as I loot a bigger pack, a RIS handguard and red dot sight for an M4 and finally an M4. Once again, I'm ready for the big time. Now to just start stashing any more shit I might find at various noob spots. But that'll have to wait for another day.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: January 18, 2014, 03:33:37 AM

Patch coming next week.

Shotguns, hacksaws, and berries. And a new village.

Fixed:
Niosh mask (respirator) inventory size fixed to 1/1 slot.
Missing strings for BE popup for alternate languages, set to English while translations are being done.
Reduced dispersion of FNX45 (from 0.05 to 0.03)
Balanced stomach capacity,
Added stuffed notifier (instead of sickness when full up)
Eating and drinking animations properly set for tablets/disinfectants
Version number in server browser and details
Saline transfusion doesn't refill full blood
Charcoal and Tetracycline tablets won't give sick badge if you aren't actually sick
Player aim run speed updated, weapon position changed and improved for first person view
Glitches on right hand while moving and while giving taunt fixed
Players can't pile backpacks inside of another backpacks, backpack-inception style. You can only put one backpack inside of another backpack if the backpack that is being put inside is empty.
Magnum speedloader should be spawning now
Number of backpacks spawning lowered
Number of .357 Pythons spawning lowered.
Number of M4A1s spawning lowered
Dead character cleanup performed at 10 minutes past death (Temporary until server issues are resolved)
Removed scripted server teleporting check as now managed by engine

New:
Editable character name in main menu
Hive, mode and time columns in server browser
Database support for sub hives. (Sub-private, Hardcore/Regular public)
DayZServer.exe support for sub hives.
Signature verification against PBOs
Added shotgun speedloader into loot spawns
Added box of 20 pieces .357 rounds into loot spawns
Added color variants of all shoes into loot spawns
Added Hiking pants (both long and short ones) and Canvas pants including their color variants into loot spawns
Added hacksaw into the loot spawns
Added shotgun into loot spawns
Berry picking
Added Hacksaw into loot spawns
Saw-off shotgun recipe
Opening cans with saw
Painting Mosin now supported w/ spraypaint
Added spraypaint can into loot spawns
Coastal harbor town of Svetloyarsk (and surrounding areas)

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #126 on: January 19, 2014, 08:43:45 PM

Day 1: Balota

I logged out yesterday pondering where I'd move to start spreading the love to the noobs. I come back in in a house just outside of the airbase. The magazines and M4 parts I've left in the house are gone, indicating they've either been looted by someone else or wiped by a server reset.

Either way, I move out. I figure my next stop will be somewhere on the bean coast to drop some shit off. Might as well make a sweep through the airbase one more time to see if I can find some more gear before moving to the coastal towns.

I stop at the barracks first as they're clustered close enough together to constitute a quick in and out. Lots of nothing in any of them except for the third, which yields another M4. I can't seem to throw it in my pack and only have the option to pick it up in my hands while shouldering my current M4 so I leave it. Oh well. I head out of the barracks and start moving toward the prison. I get as far as the little circle of sandbags at the end of the runway before I see the doors of the prison open. Someone comes out. He's wearing a lot of the same shit I am, camos and a gas mask. I stop at the sandbags and salute. He hunkers down and draws a bead on me.

He gets off two shots with his mosin before I can crouch and grab proper cover. I'm hit because the little crawl tells me I'm bleeding. I respond with 12 rounds of .556 downrange. I then drop to prone and start bandaging myself. I know I've hit the other guy because he isn't shooting back at me as I bandage myself. I make a large circle around the cluster of buildings at the end of the runway to close on the prison. I don't run into anyone on the way, so I continue. I make it into the prison and find gasmask dead on the floor just inside. He fired first, he lost.

I loot gas mask's corpse of any useful shit and roll out. I run back to the barracks and grab the M4. Then the server restarts and I'm kicked off.

The next server I log onto, it's once again, the middle of the night. It's light, so I'll make do. I run back up to the prison to see if this new space has anything interesting. Yeah, there's another M4. I certainly don't have room for that. I'd really love to find better optics for my current weapon though, as my current set is cracked and makes target acquisition difficult. I could also use replacements for the gear in my shirt, as the hits I took from gas mask have pretty much ruined all the stuff I was carrying up there. This includes my compass. Memo to myself, keep important shit in your backpack or pants in case you get shot at.

I head from the prison to the nearby hangars. The first one is empty. As I'm leaving, I see the flashlight splashing over the barracks. I freeze at the doorway of the hangar and watch as flashlight works his way through the barracks. In addition to flashlight, I also see at least three zekes in the general area. I'm hoping he doesn't aggro one of them.

He does, of course. He opens up with panic fire from his .45 and manages to take one down, then two. Both of them hit him before he can pop them and the third one is the straw that breaks the camel's back. He goes down under a hail of zeddy blows. I move in and drop the last one and then check to see if flashlight is still alive. He is. I bandage him and stop his bleeding, I then drop a bottle of pills in his inventory and wake him up with an epi pen with an M4 pointed at his face.

"Welcome back, chief", I say, "You almost made it."

"Uh, thanks?" he responds.

"I saved your ass, and I'm going to throw you some decent gear. I'd appreciate it if you didn't shoot at me as a thank you." I then give him the other M4 I looted and a couple of extra mags. "Watch yourself out there and try not to kill everyone you see without at least verifying whether or not they're friendly first."

"Uh, yeah", he says, still a bit incredulous.

I then do something stupid and turn around and head out of the area. Luckliy, he doesn't reward my trust with a shot in the back. He might have, if I had left ammo in those mags I'd given him. I didn't. I left that all lying in the the nearby barracks. Better safe than sorry.

I'm starting to dig this new thing I've decided to do. Let's see how long that lasts.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #127 on: January 26, 2014, 04:33:50 PM

I cant stop thinking about firing this up.  Gonna break out my gaming laptop and give it a whirl next weekend; think I am gonna role play and even create a background story.

of course, it will last a week before I lose interest.  :p

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #128 on: January 26, 2014, 06:04:33 PM

Day 2: Balota

Ran off the base and found a safe house to log out yesterday. Log back in and all my shit is still with me. Not a bad start.

I leave a pistol in the house for the any nooblar that happens to drop in and I head out. Might as well make another run through the airfield to see if I can find a better sight for the M4. The red dot I'm rocking is cracked to shit, making target acquisition less-than-stellar. I make a run to the prison first and immediately run into another pair of survivors. They must've logged in there because the server was empty less than five minutes ago.

I line up a shot and then don't take it, instead ducking back into a room just near the entrance and yelling, "Friendly! Friendly! Friendly". One of the pair comes walking toward the door and directly into my sights.

"Friendly," I say one more time. "I had you both dead to rights when I came in and didn't take the shot. Live and let live, boys."

"Ok bro, but you come near the prison, I swear to christ we'll mow you the fuck down."

"Roger that", I reply, "but I'm already in here, so don't open up on me as I leave, please."

And then I do something stupid and walk out with my back to them. Surprisingly, I'm not rewarded for this with a back full of hot shit. I hook an immediate Louie and head for the hangars.

"Yo bro," I hear from back in the prison. Oh shit, they changed their minds and figured they'd go for the showdown.

I lean out and yell back, "'Sup?"

"How 'bout we split the field, you take one half, we take the other, seems fair, right?"

Well, shit, I thought we were gonna have a bloodbath here, thanks for slightly renewing my faith in survivors, brosephs. "Works for me," I reply.

I head over toward the barracks and leave the other side of the runway to the bros. I immediately run afoul of about a half dozen zeds. Rather than opening up on them there and potentially breaking the fragile peace I've got with the dudebros, I decide to lead them out of the airfield entirely and drop them in the town. I get out and kill them all with a combo of the pistol and the fire axe and then head back into the airfield. Still no better sight. Looks like I'm headed northwest.

I down a water bottle, eat a can of beans and head out. I make it halfway to Bor before I break out my compass to make sure I'm still headed in the right direction. As I'm standing there getting my bearings, I hear a zed snort and shuffle nearby. I pack and run, looking over my shoulder the whole time. I never see 'ol zeeky and I wonder if my mind is just playing tricks on me. If it's not a glitch and it's some new mechanic, I'm not sure I'm all that jazzed about it.

I make it into Bor and refill my water bottle and loot a couple more cans of food. I should be good provision-wise for a while. I continue north and know I've hit the ouutskirts of Zelenogorsk because I can see the town to my left and the tower on top of Green Mountain directly ahead of me. I duck into a barn and find a can of spraypaint and a bunch of bandannas. Useless. Well, maybe not. Can I spraypaint, "The End Is Extremely Fucking Nigh" on one of the walls of the farmhouse? Sadly, no. I can spraypaint a couple of the plastic mags I have for the M4 so... whoopie shit. I head up to the little hay loft and drop some of my shit to rearrange it.

I accidentally drop my medkit in the haystack and then spend the next ten minutes trying to get it out and failing miserably. It's much bigger than a needle and I can fucking see it, I just can't target it. Wonderful. Looks like I'm gonna need to find some more bandages and disinfectant.

At least my painkillers and morphine injectors weren't in there.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #129 on: March 24, 2014, 12:23:48 AM

Chernarus... Chernarus never changes...

Day 21 or 30... I've lost count. All I do know is that it's been raining pretty much non-stop for the last four or five days and it's been gray skies for at least a week. I walk around and I can see my breath. It's cold as shit out here too. At least it hasn't snowed.

I've come to in a deer stand to the north of Green Mountain. I camped out here after putting in some work nearby.

I'd made my way up to Green Mountain from Zelenogorsk to see what had changed. Not a lot, it turns out. Not many serachable spaces and nothing of any use in any of them except a small backpack. I put a M1911 and some ammo in it for the next poor bastard to find.

As I'm making my way toward the gates, I see something crawling toward me. I'm about to put a bullet in it when I hear it speak. It asks me to kill it.

"Uh, kill you?"

"Yes, finish what your friends started. My leg is broken and I can't run anyway."

"Somebody did this to you? Other survivors? I'm out here alone, so it wasn't me, man. Which way?"

He points down the north side of the mountain back toward Zeleno. About 15 minutes ago, he'd run afoul of a couple of assholes. They opened up on him and he kinda got away, managing to bandage himself but not much else. Now he's here at my feet, asking me to kill him.

"Better idea, how about I don't kill you and do this instead?" I pass him a morphine injector and some pistol ammo and tell him to either hunker down, get the hell out of dodge or get some revenge.

He chooses to bail. Frankly, I don't blame him.

I go back and grab the pack with the .45 in it and leave it just inside the entrance to the area. I then run back and find a good vantage point and wait.

I don't wait long.

They're walking upright and almost oblivious, like they haven't got a care in the world. I guess they figure their last target is dead and any noise they might've made would've brought someone else to them by now. One is carrying a Mosin and the other has what looks like a sport rifle or an SKS. They're both carrying them out front, but neither is scoping ahead. They're both wearing Payday masks.

Definitely assholes.

They both stop at the pack. One of them rummaging through it, while the other looks deeper into the area. Neither sees me.

I aim downrange through the ACOG and line up one head and then the other. I swing the rifle between both their heads a couple of times to get the timing down and then squeeze.

The first goes down instantly. I miss the second and he scrambles to the left. I stagger fire after him and clip him, he goes down but keeps moving. Karma and all that. I follow him in the crosshairs and put one more in his head.

I wait a few minutes in case they weren't alone and then I root through their shit, a lot of it on the second guy was ruined in the firefight but I do find an epi pen and some extra ammo for the FNX. The first guy had a fresh medpack, so I grab that. The rest of their stuff I stash away in the radio tower and then move on. The next guy that comes by Green Mountain will find some decent gear.

I then make my way north and camp out in the deer stand. I hear there's a shipwreck somewhere to the south now. Maybe I'll head there tomorrow.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #130 on: March 24, 2014, 11:44:31 PM

Day Z:

That thing I said yesterday about karma? Apparently, the bitch doesn't like me either.

I'm making my way south from Green Mountain toward the shipwreck when I run afoul of a zed. Not normally a problem but my network connection, which was already sketchy to begin with, decides this is the perfect time to shit the bed. Not in a, "let's disconnect you entirely" fashion mind you but just enough to lag me to shit. I swing my axe at Zed's head and connect, or at least I think I do until she warps behind me, hits me and starts me bleeding. I circle strafe her and after multiple attempts finally put her down. I start to bandage myself when another zed warps in and starts whaling on me. I dispatch that one too, but not before he starts me bleeding again. Rinse and repeat this three fucking times and I'm out of bandages.

I run like a chicken with its head cut off looking for first aid kits or bandages or t-shirts or anything to stop the bleeding. And then my connection drops completely. I manage to log back in ten minutes later to unconsciousness followed eight seconds later by death.

Fuck you Time Warner.

Day 0: What looks like Nizhnoye.

We're getting spawned all over the goddamn place these days. I guess it could be worse. I make my way toward Berezhino because it's really close. And yeah, there's no military camp there anymore, but there are a couple of supermarkets and a school, so my chances of being at least marginally functional are fairly high. So high, in fact that I find an SKS in a farmhouse before I even get there. I have to punch a zed in the dome a few times before I can get it and she of course starts me bleeding, but that's what my t-shirt is for. A run through BZ proper yields me a mountaineering pack, a leather jacket, a couple of .45s and a suppressed .22. Solid fucking haul. If I could pull one of the sleeves off the jacket, find myself a dog and the last of the V8 interceptors, I could go all Mad Max in this bitch.

Still no 7.62 for the SKS but I've got a fuckton for the .22 (No mags for the .22 though, meaning I have to chamber each round before I use it. Fine and dandy for when you're sneaking up behind someone or something to put one in the back of their head, completely useless in any other situation except to blow your own brains out.) and the .45 (two mags for each pistol) and a trusty fire axe. All will be good. Shit, I even found 40 rounds of 5.56.

Figuring, "What the fuck?" I push my luck and head north for the Northeast airfield. Since people are spawning so far up the coast, the airfield is a lot more frequently travelled than it was before Chernarus plus. This is obvious because the place has been ransacked. Luckily though, it was ransacked long enough ago that shit is starting to respawn. I find a couple of bottles of vitamins, a UN helmet, a Russian pilot's helmet, some more 5.56 and in the second hangar, an M4. I drop the SKS as I've found no 7.62 for it and lock and load the M4.

Now, to find a replacement for the basic carry handle optics. Maybe some other decent attachments too. Where else to go since I'm this far north, than the Northwest airfield? It's a straight shot across the map pretty much and the server's empty. Why not?

I make it all the way across without incident and without a compass, checking the server population periodically just to see what I might be running into. All the way in, the population is precisely me.

That is, of course, until I start ransacking the airfield.

I manage to make it through the barracks and the prison and find not a lot of anything but a bag of rice and some more ammo for the M4. I'm hefting my axe the entire time to keep down on the noise just in case. As I round the corner to exit the prison, I notice the doors I had closed are open. And right between them is some jackass with another M4 and a gas mask. I stop and yell, "friendly" just as he empties an entire mag into me.

"You are unconscious", quickly followed by, "You are dead"

Just then, he kicks in his mic, "Come out" he says with a Welsh accent.

I don't know if he can hear me or not, but I pipe in with, "It was just me, you enormous, server-hopping fucking knob. Now pick the ammo off my body since you wasted so much of yours taking me out."

Now I remember why I usually play this thing drunk...

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #131 on: April 07, 2014, 08:18:07 PM

Day 0: Just south of Berezhino.

I know I'm near BZ, because I spawned right next to a road sign telling me it's nearby. Convenient.

I run in toward the construction site nearby, looking for gear. Anything useful. I don't find much, but I find enough to keep myself moving. A splitting axe and some rice. That'll keep me from getting hungry for a while and a few whacks will protect me from zeke. Maybe.

I head deeper into Berezhino and find the police station. Not a lot in there. I hear the shipwreck is near here, so I figure I'll head there. I don't make it that far from the police station before I'm jumped by a zed. I dispatch him, but not before he starts me bleeding. As I'm bandaging myself, another zed spawns and zeroes in on me. I finish bandaging and put him down too. Of course, he starts me bleeding as well. Rinse and repeat four more times until I'm out of bandages and I can't find any t-shirts to rip up to make into more bandages. I run as far and as fast as I can, looking for bandages, or a medpack, or a t-shirt, anything to stop the bleeding. And anything to keep zeke at bay. Nothing. I pass out at the edge of BZ and bleed out shortly thereafter.

Fuck.

Day 0: Pretty much the same place I started last time. Convenient. I make an all-out run for my corpse at the northern edge of Berezhino, attracting a few zeds in the process. I run around in ever wider circles and through buildings trying to break line of sight with these undead assholes. Eventually, I'm successful. I get to my corpse and I can't loot it. Lovely.

Have I expressed a, "fuck you, Rocket" recently? Because fuck you, Rocket.

Figuring I've got nothing to lose, I continue my trek toward the shipwreck. When I get to it, it's pouring. I'm soaked. I'll probably catch pneumonia or some shit, because yeah, upper respiratory infections scream fun and immersion to everyone, don't they?

I make it to the ship and find the thing split in half and mired in some thrashed wetlands. Wading through this in the rain in sneakers will probably give me athlete's foot or some shit too.

I start exploring the ship and find it's not quite the treasure trove of useful shit I'd been led to believe it was. Yeah, I find an SKS and a pair of cargo pants, but not much else. Then, while exploring the edge of one of the cargo holds, I miraculously manage to fall off the ledge and break both my legs and an arm. Pretty goddamn impressive, actually.

I manage to crawl my way up a broken piece of bulkead to the main deck of the ship and realize I'm essentially fucked. I crawl my way to the edge of the big breach in the ship and make my way off the top, killing myself for only the second time ever in Chernarus. This time, I'm not taking an asshole out with me in the process. I has a minor sad.

Day 0: Somewhere outside of Kamenka, by the looks of it.

Shit, this'll be the first time I've ever spawned this far west since the Chernarus became Chernarus Plus. I take a look around and spy a couple of warehouses and a wharf. Interesting. As I move toward the warehouses, I look what I think is North and see what looks like the radio tower at Green Mountain.

Maybe I'm not in Kamenka.

I ransack the warehouses for a hat, a piece of a map and some combat boots and then head deeper into town. I find a sign that tells me I was completely wrong. I'm nowhere near Kamenka. I'm in Svetlojarsk, a town on the Northeast coast. Never been here before, because this town didn't exist before. New shit abounds.

I make my way deeper in and find another police station. Unlike the one in Berezhino, this one's got useful shit, including an M4 and a 9mm pistol with a flashlight. Shit's looking up. Now I just need to find some ammo for them both and a melee weapon of some sort. A quick run across the street lands me a garden hoe. In the absence of a fireman's axe, I'll take it. As it turns out, the hoe is better than the fireman's axe as it gives me better reach and allows me to keep ol' zeke at bay.

I make my way from Svetlojarsk to the Northeast airfield and find some ammo for the M4 and a sight for the MX45 which I've never had trouble finding before now, of course. I'll hold on to it just in case I find one because it does make target acquisition with the MX that much easier and I'd gladly drop the 9 for the stopping power of a .45. I find a .45, but it's a 1911 and there are no mags for it, so just as useless as the sight. My run through the rest of the airfield nets me a couple of medkits, some vitamins, tetracylcene and charcoal. If I accidentally eat some rotten fruit, I'm covered.

I decide to try my luck and head for the Northwest airfield after this. What are the chances of me getting blown away by another server hopper?

I make my way to the airfield without incident and actually manage to sweep through it without getting killed. I do, however get jumped by a shitload of zeds and a bit of server lag. I survive it all and manage to find an ACOG, a supressor, some Magpul parts and a bipod for the M4, another M4 and a T3N red dot sight with a cracked lens. Still no MX45, but shit I get to be the gear fairy again. That is, if I can get out of the airfield without an ass full of hot shit.

I do indeed manage to get out and make my way all the way back down toward Elektro. It's here that I find two jackasses waylaying a fresh spawn with a baseball bat and what do you know? An MX45. I shout, "hey assholes!" They turn around and pistol guy points his gun at me so I light them the fuck up. New guy is still standing there with his hands in the air frozen like a deer in the headlights.

"Put your hands down." I tell him. "I'm not gonna shoot you. Well, not unless you do something stupid."

"Uh, shit man, I'm not going to do anything and you just fucked those guys up."

"Yeah, well, they were about to fuck you up, no?"

"Yeah, they were going to take my blood or something."

Yeah, assholes. I loot the bodies and take the MX, it was empty. Oops.

I give noobsauce the second M4, sans ammo, because fuck that shit. I tell him I'll leave him some 5.56 somewhere else in town but I'll be damned if I'm gonna let him have any while he's still within range, lest he starts feeling squirrely. Besides, down here, half the time just having a gun, loaded or not can be a significant deterrent and a guy with an M4 with sights other than the stock shit wold probably scare most of the bottom feeders right away. It didn't work for the shitheads I just blew away, but they only had a pistol. I drop the 1911 and the 9mm in some convenient houses and then head the fuck back out of town, my good deeds done for the day.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: May 07, 2014, 09:51:50 AM

Still playing Surly? I feel the urge coming back on, and maybe I can get silenus back on for a three amigos reunion.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #133 on: May 07, 2014, 08:51:54 PM

I bounce in and out. I'd be glad to get the band back together if everyone else is game.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: May 08, 2014, 10:55:04 AM

Well, like I said in the DayZ thread - I'll be on tonight at 10:00pm EST. Let's do our best to be somewhere near Zub :) PM me and I'll get you the Mumble info.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: May 09, 2014, 09:15:31 AM

Day 0 - God knows where

Well, here I am. Back in the lovely fields of Chernarus. But these are fields I don't remember. I begin searching for weapon, first off. I immediately notice an improvement in searchable buildings. The standalone seems to have made strides in certain areas, this being one of them. The inventory is WAY improved, but that's not saying much. I check some familiar building types, am able to round up an ax, and a backpack. Looks like ammo is spawning, as well as actual guns that aren't M4s! I smile as I load my double barrel with my only 2 rounds of buckshot, and proceed to continue searching this small town. I hear the telltale zombie screeches, notifying me that I fucked up somehow and got one on me. The splitting ax I have might as well be a kitchen knife for all the good it's doing...but eventually after about 10 whacks he goes down. I received a pretty good asswhipping from this more agile, more wall-hacking deadfuck. I rip up my shirt into rags, and stop the bleeding. Note to self. Find more shotgun shells. I take some stairs up to a roof to try to get my bearings and figure out what fucking shithole town I'm in. I see a ladder heading down, so I decide to take the quick route and begin climbing down. That is until my guy decides that instead he's going to just go for the Nestea Plunge to the ground instead.

You are dead.

Fuck me. I should know better than to use ladders in this game.

Day 0 - Three Valleys

Ok, I know this spot from before. Surly had gotten on Mumble, as well as an old friend that was having video issues and couldn't quite get it working. He picked a halfway spot to meet up, and had a nice shiny decked out M4 in his backpack for me. The looting was scarse, and I only managed to round up a garden hoe as a weapon and a canteen to drink from. Found some .357 shells but nothing to load them in. I follow some landmarks, check some spots that didn't pan out - but avoided any zombie aggro at this point. The game has definitely chilled a bit on needing food/drink every 2 seconds, and that's a welcome change.

The next town I passed through I wasn't so lucky, I pissed off some she-Zed that wasn't falling for any of the old tricks so I decided it was GO time. I heard this garden hoe was pretty good, from Surly's previous adventures...I must have whacked that bitch 15 times before she dropped. I'm bleeding. And fairly beat up. But I'm alive. I use my shirt, and take care of it. I think that last head was a direct head shot with the hoe. Maybe the Zeds now are Walking Dead style, with ONLY headshots killing them. Shit just got a little more real.

I made it to the meeting place safe, and Surly informed me I should just hunker down and wait for him to get there (about 20 minutes out). Well, a few beers and a general sense of being able to handle myself in zombieland got me to decide to find a backpack before he got here. A quick search of the town produced a shotgun, with no ammo, and a lovely big ole backpack. But that wasn't good enough. I needed a few rounds for my shotty. I found one shell, loaded it and began to look for a safe spot when the wall-hacking zombie whore was on me like stink on shit. First hit caught me off guard, but at least I'm not bleeding. I try to run through some buildings, old Dayz style but this is one relentless dead bitch. I duck into the gorcery store, knowing I should be able to get her lined up and caught behind the counter. I run in and whip out my shotty, loaded with the one shell. I can't fuck this up or I'm done. I had a decent shot and hesitated. I must make this count, let her get closer. I guess zombies pounce now. Cause this bitch jumped at me, I reactively blasted her in the face right as she landed her fateful hit.

You feel warm blood on your pants.

FUCK FUCK FUCK, I already used my shirt and like a DayZ noob didn't make creating new ones my first damn priority. I start running frantically through the buildings, every piece of clothing you can imagine - except a shirt. And only shirts make suitable bandages in Chernarus. My vision is really getting blurry, black and white, and fucked now. I know it's over. As I run out of the empty nearby house I collapse in the road.

Goodbye cruel world.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 09:18:06 AM by Slayerik »

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #136 on: May 09, 2014, 10:37:10 AM

Hah, Nestea plunge.  why so serious?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #137 on: May 09, 2014, 06:40:17 PM

Wish I'da been able to play. I need to get the new gaming space set up better.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #138 on: May 13, 2014, 08:37:33 PM

Day 20.

This has been a decent stretch for me. I've survived both zeke and player alike for weeks. I've got decent gear and a magical can of kvass that never seems to go away no matter how many times I drink it. I reported the bug, but it's still there. Bonus for me as it quenches my thirst and cures my hunger too. I could theoretically dump all my cans of food and canteens for just this one can, but then with my luck, it'd go poof immediately after and I'd be SOL.

Slay says he's hopping back in as he's got the itch again, so I figure I'll scoot out of my undisclosed location and head east to meet him and his buddy somewhere near the new Bean Coast.

As I'm making my way east, I hear our third having issues with video tearing and not being able to see. A shitty situation to be in in the 'Churn. Especially on a server at midday with more than a few people on it. I'm doing my best to keep cover and sprinting like Usain Bolt across the open fields in an attempt to not catch some 7.62 in the grill. As I get across the last field, I hear Slay get wallhacked by a surprisingly persistent zeke. He puts her down with the double-barrel buckshot as she manages to break his arm and start him bleeding again.

Bitch.

He's out of bandages and runs around fruitlessly looking for a shirt to rip up or some bandages. I tell him to log out and wait 'til I get there and I'll bandage him up.

"No sense, man. I'll try to find something."

He dies shortly after.

Shit.

I make it to Stary and he decides to call it a night. Probably for the best. I however, continue southeast. I make it to Zub and duck into the central ruin just as I see two other people coming up the main path. They spot me around the same time and scramble for cover. I run up the stairs and hunker down, looking for a decent vantage point.

"Friendly!", I yell down at them.

No answer.

"Friendly, I yell again."

Still no answer. I see one of them moving into the ruin. He doesn't see me yet, so I edge a little bit back, aiming down the red dot sight through the small space between the floor and the stairs.

"For the last time, FRIENDLY!"

"Don't care, buddy!" I hear one of them reply, a hint of a laugh at the end of it. Number two comes in behind him, both of them looking up in my direction. One's got an SKS and the other an M4.

They see me and fire but it's wild and uncontrolled, putting out a lot of fire and not hitting much.

Well, almost. I'm hit at least once and start bleeding as I return fire. I've got the better angle and the better discipline. Two bursts and they're both down. I pull back into the corner and bandage and morphine myself as they managed to break my arm too. I wait and listen for more movement below. Nothing. I head down and recover as much M4 ammo as I can and then head back upstairs to camp out for the night. I drink a few more times from my can of magical kvass and then bid the 'Churn adieu for the night.

Now, I wait for backup.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: May 14, 2014, 07:11:35 AM

Castle Zub it is, old friend! I'll be there, or headed that way, for Thursday Night Zombies! (If anyone else would like to join, PM me and we'll get ya sorted with mumble info)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Chern-R-Us, or As I walk through the valley of the shadow of zeds.  
Jump to: