Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:37:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bungie's Destiny 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bungie's Destiny  (Read 393931 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #700 on: November 18, 2014, 05:19:26 AM

No more camping under the platform for Winter's Run (archon priest).

God dammit, I just figured out that hiding spot.  Why does Bungie hate fun?

It's moments like this that make you realize the only reason our favorite glitches that formed memories from childhood games (like the minus world in SMB or the warping bug in M3) are still there because the devs couldn't patch them out.  The stories that would've been lost without them. Hrm.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #701 on: November 18, 2014, 01:32:34 PM

Yes, actually, that is mostly true.  Item duplication in Final Fantasy.  I can't remember if I needed that to make the four-imp-dual-wielding-imp-halberd wrecking crew.

The deaths against the Archon mostly come from those stealth melee Fallen.  Even sniper majors are not insurmountable, it's those invisible assholes.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #702 on: November 18, 2014, 01:42:41 PM

Yes, actually, that is mostly true.  Item duplication in Final Fantasy.  I can't remember if I needed that to make the four-imp-dual-wielding-imp-halberd wrecking crew.

The deaths against the Archon mostly come from those stealth melee Fallen.  Even sniper majors are not insurmountable, it's those invisible assholes.

With Lightswitch = 1 shot kill.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #703 on: November 18, 2014, 03:11:33 PM

Ran through Sepiks today. The walker went down in under a minute. The hardest part of that raid is still the three waves at the force field. The stealth vandals are still ridiculous. Not Randal the Vandal ridiculous, but close. Especially in nightfall.

That said, Iron Banner 2.0 is here and the catasses got their wish. It's now significantly less about the skill and more about the gear. I usually have a 1.5-3.0 KD ratio. I'm now merely breaking even and my standard strategy of shooting my opponents, closing and then finishing by stabbing them in the face is failing spectacularly as the killing blow is not as powerful here as it is in standard crucible.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #704 on: November 19, 2014, 08:27:21 AM

That's discouraging since I love nothing more than punching things to death.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #705 on: November 19, 2014, 10:36:19 AM

As do I. I'm a blade dancer. My raison d'être is to stab all the things. Though I'm nothing if not adaptable. Had a 27-5 run last night on Blind Watch, including an arc blade kill out over the edge of the map. Good times.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 10:38:09 AM by Surlyboi »

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #706 on: November 20, 2014, 05:19:59 PM

http://www.destinythegame.com/free-trial

because the game is dying... hur hur hur.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #707 on: November 21, 2014, 08:47:42 AM

Do not dive into the Destiny universe.  There is no deep end.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #708 on: November 21, 2014, 04:21:58 PM

Deeper than you think...

Loken's men found Jaren Ward in the courtyard where this had all began.

Nine guns trained on him. Nine cold hearts awaiting the order. Magistrate Loken, standing behind them, looked pleased with himself.

Jaren Ward stood in silence. His Ghost peeked out over his shoulder.

Loken took in the crowd before stepping forward, as if to claim the ground - his ground. "You question me?" There was venom in his words. "This is not your home."

I remember Loken's gestures here. Making a show of it all.

Everyone else was still. Quiet.

I tugged at my father's sleeve, but he just tightened his grip on my shoulder to the point pain. His way of letting me know that this was not the time.

I'd watched Jaren's every move over the past months, mapping his effortless gestures and slight, earned mannerisms. I'd never seen anything like him. He was something I couldn't comprehend, and yet I felt I understood all I needed the moment I'd seen him. He was more than us. Not better. Not superior. Just more.

I wanted father to stop what was happening. Looking back now, I realize that he didn't want to stop it. No one d id.

As Loken belittled Jaren Ward, taunted him, enumerated his crimes and sins, my eyes were stuck on Jaren's pistol, fixed to his hip. His steady hand resting calmly on his belt.

I remembered the pistol's weight. Effortless. And my concern faded. I understood.

"This is our town! My town!" Loken was shouting now. He was going to make a show of Jaren - teach the people of Palamon a lesson in obedience.

Jaren spoke: clear, calm. "Not anymore."

Loken laughed dismissively. He had nine guns on his side. "Those gonna be your last words then, boy?"

The movement was a flash: quick as chain lightning. Jaren Ward spoke as he moved. "Yours. Not mine."

Smoke trailed from Jaren's revolver.

Loken hit the ground. A dark hole in his forehead. Eyes staring into eternity.

Jaren stared down the nine guns trained on him. One by one, they lowered their aim. And the rest of my life began - where, in a few short years, so many others would be ended.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #709 on: November 24, 2014, 02:32:57 PM

That's the Olympic pool in the next building over. Ohhhhh, I see.

Got a Hawkmoon drop yesterday, just for being me.  Makes all that exotic bounty nonsense seem like a waste.  Still, I'd have liked the scout rifle.

Terracotta Army

Reply #710 on: November 24, 2014, 04:34:43 PM

That's the Olympic pool in the next building over. Ohhhhh, I see.

Got a Hawkmoon drop yesterday, just for being me.  Makes all that exotic bounty nonsense seem like a waste.  Still, I'd have liked the scout rifle.

Hell yeah. I got it Saturday along with Aethon's Epilogue. Funny part is that I was talking about how nice a skin the Hawkmoon had and how I'd like to get it someday about 2 weeks ago.

Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #711 on: November 24, 2014, 09:10:02 PM

So I grabbed the trial to check it out.  Ran a few missions, did some patrolling and now level 4.  The shooty parts have been fun enough so far, but I haven't played enough to make it repetetive yet. What I'm not sure is I have yet to actually to anything that wasn't solo. Now it hasn't been too hard but I thought grouping up was the point.

So, this is a game you have to play online, yet you have no mechanism in game to join groups? Have I got that right? Unless you have friends at the same level as you (I don't) you can't just join a queue or anything of the sort?  Not even a chat channel? Did I miss something obvious?
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #712 on: November 24, 2014, 09:20:45 PM

Nope you didn't and yup it's dumb. It changes a little once you can queue for the strike playlists. I believe that opens at like 16 or something but realistically you'll want to be 20 probably before you start. They have also recently added public voice chat channels that appear to be easy to join, never used them myself though. One thing to keep in mind also is that higher level friends can group with and help you at no experience penalty.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #713 on: November 25, 2014, 08:44:35 AM

The main thing you need to know about Destiny is that leveling from 1 to 20 is the tutorial.  Get that over with and then you can play properly.

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #714 on: November 25, 2014, 09:00:26 AM

Is there anything to do after 20 than replay missions you have already done on hard mode?

How many raids? 2 or 3?

Not worth it to me. I quit roughly at 20, but plunked around here and there to get gear to 21.5. It's hilarious that the 'end game' is looking for one fucking stat on an item.

Then again, that's consistent with the amateur hour design that this game has from beginning to end.

Let me know when they patch in trading and text chat.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 03:57:08 PM by Nija »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #715 on: November 25, 2014, 12:08:57 PM

Once you hit 20, I don't see anything new to do, unless you count VoG.

Terracotta Army

Reply #716 on: November 25, 2014, 04:56:28 PM

Shard / energy / marks farming. Which is new for about 2 hours.  why so serious?

Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #717 on: November 26, 2014, 07:52:43 AM

I finished the earth missions and just shy of level six.  I never did end up teaming up with anybody. I'm torn since I have found the shooting up bad guys parts pretty fun.  Sniping things with my Hunter was quite satisfying. On 360 it looks and sounds great, I'd love to see it on PS4 or XBone.

But so many things are missing.  For a supposedly expansive world I sure did through the same areas a lot, or are there parts of Old Russia to explore at higher levels?  It's an online game devoid of any social interaction.  And no matchmaking. And no trading in any form. And no meaningful story. Even the start is nonsense, and I'm still not sure why I'm shooting all these aliens.  And that dick at the Tower won't tell me anything, because why?  This does not look like "rich cinematic storytelling".

Reading here and other sites tells me 20 doesn't sound like much fun.  I have found the loot treadmill pretty reasonable but I guess that goes away and gets replaced by...*shudder* faction/mark grinding.  I hear the game changes at 20, but it doesn't sound better.

The whole thing just looks like half a game that will actually be done a 6 months to a year from now. Maybe I'll jump in if a next gen console is in the cards this Xmas but otherwise I think I'll wait for the inevitable GotY Gold Edition.

And yet I'm still going to try the Cauldron and Strike missions, and try out a Warlock.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 07:59:17 AM by Special J »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #718 on: November 26, 2014, 08:40:40 AM

Shard / energy / marks farming. Which is new for about 2 hours.  why so serious?

Well, yes, I was thinking of new areas and such.  Figuring out how to get to lv30 is something new to do, I guess.

are there parts of Old Russia to explore at higher levels?

There is a corner behind the ruined ships where you find some high-level enemies, and there is a tunnel to where Murder Cave used to be (IIRC).  Not sure if that counts as a "new area".  There is also a group of lv18 Hive in a basement near your Patrol drop-in point, but it's pretty much one room so not sure that one counts, either.

Matchmaking happens in the Strike playlist, which is rather infuriating when you realize that the function is coded into the game but not enabled everywhere.

And no meaningful story.

As Surli was hinting at, there is a story but you have to work for it in Destiny: The Game and then read about it on Destiny: The Web Portal.

Vanguard Marks are not hard to get once you start working on the Strike playlist.  Tiger strikes are lv24 and give six marks.  You very well could get tired of Sepiks Prime and Va'alus Tauruc before you get enough marks to purchase a set of purple armor.  Strike playlist could really use some variety.

I don't know what the fate of any GotY editions might be, since this looks a whole lot like perpetual expansions.  I'm not really sure what Bungie is trying to do here, and some of it may hinge on sales.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 08:51:07 AM by Yegolev »

Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #719 on: November 26, 2014, 09:12:55 AM

The web portal thing just strikes me as lazy.  I guess card collecting is fun for some but you're killing the immersion by not telling it in game.

I'm pretty confident there is some type of bundled edition down the road.  That's just pretty standard for DLC heavy games.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #720 on: December 03, 2014, 10:56:00 AM

The sword in patrol is a cool addition.  Otherwise this patch just bothers me.

Terracotta Army

Reply #721 on: December 03, 2014, 11:16:30 AM

The sword in patrol is a cool addition.  Otherwise this patch just bothers me.

Sword is just gimmicky and I don't pay attention to gimmicks (however, rumor is that this sword thing will be a mechanic in the new raid - kill a dude, take his sword and use against boss). I dunno how I feel about the exotic upgrade change as all mine were already fully upgraded. Having to buy a shard from Xur using strange coins is just a new coin sink for people that don't buy anything from him.

I definitely dislike getting a mote of light now for completing a daily PE. Unless they make those a viable currency, it is just a waste of time to do a PE for a chance roll for a material, now. Maybe they'll have a new vendor who accepts motes of light for useful items. I am not holding my breath though.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #722 on: December 04, 2014, 09:57:59 AM

The sword is indeed gimmicky but it's a fun diversion for a few minutes, which is something that this game sorely needs.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #723 on: December 05, 2014, 11:01:00 AM

New patch things I like:

- Upgrade materials from the heroic daily and patrol daily

New patch things I don't like:

- Finally save up enough motes of light for the exotic engram from Xur only for Bungie to pull it off his stock, not sure what the point of motes of light are now
 - Still no matchmaking for raids  Ohhhhh, I see.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #724 on: December 05, 2014, 11:04:26 AM

No more packages in the mail after your first PE is a let down, like when your parents tell you Santa isn't real.

I've been warned to hoard my marks until after the expansion.

Terracotta Army

Reply #725 on: December 05, 2014, 11:13:28 AM

No more packages in the mail after your first PE is a let down, like when your parents tell you Santa isn't real.

The package thing is a bug - or at least that is the rumor going around.

Motes of Light - I think will be the new strange coin for the xpac vendor. Or maybe they'll be used as part of the upgrading exotics thing. Otherwise I am going to have a shit load of these things (already have 60ish)

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #726 on: December 06, 2014, 12:54:53 AM

Xur will still occasionally have engrams to trade for your motes too.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #727 on: December 07, 2014, 03:56:30 PM

The package thing is a bug - or at least that is the rumor going around.

Motes of Light - I think will be the new strange coin for the xpac vendor. Or maybe they'll be used as part of the upgrading exotics thing. Otherwise I am going to have a shit load of these things (already have 60ish)
I don't play often and don't do group stuff so I hope it's a bug.  That was basically my only way of getting strange coins.  I logged in today for the first time in a while and was surprised I didn't get anything for doing a public event.

They increased the rate of public events - good.
They removed all rewards from public events - bad and makes the good point moot.
Terracotta Army

Reply #728 on: December 07, 2014, 06:18:36 PM

They increased the rate of public events - good.
They removed all rewards from public events - bad and makes the good point moot.

You still have the RNG chance at getting ascendant mats to drop from each PE. They just killed the automatic ones in the mail. Hell, I got an energy and shard on my Warlock today on one event.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #729 on: December 07, 2014, 06:31:55 PM

The lack of rewards for public events is a bug and they're working on it.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #730 on: December 08, 2014, 07:05:07 AM

I ain't doin' shit 'til Tuesday.

Terracotta Army

Reply #731 on: December 08, 2014, 08:58:46 AM

I got one more day's worth of bounties to complete because I have nothing better to do in the evenings.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #732 on: December 08, 2014, 11:46:50 AM

Don't turn the bounties in until tomorrow though.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #733 on: December 08, 2014, 12:55:13 PM

I'm not even going to bump my Vanguard rep to the next level until tomorrow.

Terracotta Army

Reply #734 on: December 08, 2014, 02:00:10 PM

Don't turn the bounties in until tomorrow though.

Point taken. I'll collect them and finish them though.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bungie's Destiny  
Jump to: