Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:21:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: City of Heroes Episode I: A New Hope 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: City of Heroes Episode I: A New Hope  (Read 16540 times)
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #35 on: April 11, 2004, 10:44:47 PM

Quote from: schild
Preorder people get 3 days before live to start. It will be the greatest catass man has ever witnessed.

Argh, I guess I'll have to call off work the night of the wipe to camp my own name. Thanks whatever jizzguzzler took Angry Bob on all the servers. I Blame Sir Bruce...

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Alrindel
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: April 11, 2004, 11:15:49 PM

Preorder people get 3 days before live to start. It will be the greatest catass man has ever witnessed.

I refute this.  When they opened the european DAOC PVP server, Camlann, the powerguilds got on and played non-stop for 72 hours straight to get their guys up to level 40+ and destroy everyone else (one player I know was trying out for the Nolby Pride guild but fell asleep at his keyboard on day 2.  The guild leader kicked him from the group, then kicked him from the guild, then killed him.)

A PVE-only game like COH just doesn't have the same drive2crush.
schild
Administrator

Reply #37 on: April 11, 2004, 11:32:50 PM

Quote from: Alrindel

I think of it as more of a, get the fuck out of the newbie areas before all hell breaks loose on release day. Drive2Freedom.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: April 12, 2004, 05:01:18 AM

Quote from: Alrindel

I think of it as more of a, get the fuck out of the newbie areas before all hell breaks loose on release day. Drive2Freedom.

Exactly.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: April 12, 2004, 09:50:20 AM

72 hours?  I think I can make 14 in 72 hours...  I made 11 over the last three days and thats including most of a day off for easter and starting over twice.

I was on last night when someone got teleportation, I've decided that I'm doing hover/hasten/teleport for my travel skills.  Thats three skills and Ill probably pick up some of the others when there are no more combat skills I want.

I started to write a lot more but realized I was probably breaking the NDA in several areas.  So as soon as they lift the NDA I'll talk about my experiences with a en/en blaster and low level tankers and defenders.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
schild
Administrator

Reply #40 on: April 12, 2004, 11:20:30 AM

You can only get 2 power pools, so you could have hover & teleport or hover & haste, etc. But you only get two.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #41 on: April 12, 2004, 12:04:40 PM

You can only get 2 power pools, so you could have hover & teleport or hover & haste, etc. But you only get two.

When you say Power Pools, do you mean the Skill sets? so I could get teleportation and Flight? and I could get several from each right?

So I could have Hasten and Hover, and Flight?
schild
Administrator

Reply #42 on: April 12, 2004, 12:07:34 PM

Power Pools are the equivelant to extra skill sets.

For example.

Scrapper can have Dark Melee and Regneration at start.

At 6 he can pick up another pool (which has 4 powers in it) from sets such as Leaping, etc.

Then at 10 he can access one more power pool - like Flight.

Thus having 2 Power Sets and 2 Power Pools. (Sets have 8-10 skills in them, Pools have 4 skills in them.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: April 12, 2004, 12:24:45 PM

I'm pretty sure your wrong and can pick new pools at 6, 10, 16 and 24 and possibly another one in the 30's somewhere (notice 4, 6, 8 progression.  So probably at 34 and then at maybe 46...?)

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #44 on: April 12, 2004, 12:48:34 PM

Hey can someone in beta PM me the link to the beta boards?

I'm at work and have nothing to do, so I might as well read some of the posts there and toss up a few comments of my own.....

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: April 12, 2004, 12:59:25 PM

You can first unlock your  first power pool at level 6. You can add others at the number listed in one of the previous posts. You can have a MAX of four power pools and up to 4 powers in each.

At level 6 you can get one of the first two powers in a power pool. To unlock the third in a power pool you must have one of the first two powers and be level 14 or above. To unlock the third you need 2 of the first 3 powers and I think level 20 or 22 cant remember which.

So if you really wanted to you could have 4 powers from your primary or secondary field and have 16 power pool abilities. So yes you can have a ton of individuality as there are many very good power pool options and limited enough power selection ability that you just cannot do it all so you have to pick what you want.

Due to this pretty much every power is designed to be very useful and scale up with you with enhancements and levels.

Myself I tend to only grab 3 or so power pool skills as I in general focus on the more primary powers but many are almost the opposite and pick about half and half.

My only problem with coh is there are to many cool abilities and I keep getting the itch to try out another hero type. I am sorta test driving various controller types as I think I want to be a controller in live and I have the urge to try out a grav controller and whip forklifts at people.

kaid
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: April 12, 2004, 02:26:56 PM

Heh, I am having somewhat the opposite problem.  I WANTED to try a ton of characters, but am having way too much fun with my fire/fire blaster to play another.

I FLEW through level 11 once I learned that with hasten and the proper use of my AOEs I could MAUL groups of 12 level 9's and 10's in perez park.. as long as they don't have a boss.  Blasters are not that good vs bosses I find.  Hordes of anyone even a single level below are easy though.  At 11 I could do 12 level 10's but would get beaten vs a single level 11 boss.  Scrappers and tanks seem to do better vs bosses.  Maybe it is just the fire blasters though.  Rain of Fire just rocks solo.  Causes an awesome fear effect that thins out everyone.  I imagine soloing would be hard without hasten though.  God damn that skill rocks.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #47 on: April 14, 2004, 07:19:38 AM

I found my assault weapons blaster couldn't solo bosses of above my lvl until I got sniper rifle. That made things a lot easier.

Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: April 14, 2004, 07:54:25 AM

Yeah, fire blaster gets a single target massive damage sniper attack, but it is pretty late in the skillset.  I don't think it will open until 16 or later.  Until then I am crowd damage, a role I have a lot of fun with.

Too many skills to fit on one hotkey bar now though, have to use two.
Shurijo

Email
Reply #49 on: April 14, 2004, 05:30:05 PM

I have found that with Caltrops, my Assault Rifle characters can solo bosses above my level. I just throw those down, then they get stuck in them and run back and forth for a while, while I back out of range and use slug and burst on them. I've used this up to around lv 9 with a new char. My other AR/Devices is lv 16 (95% solo), and I didn't take caltrops, so I had a very rough time, but using zoning (elevators, front door) I could do it, but it took a really long time.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: April 15, 2004, 06:51:24 AM

Bosses get comparitively harder as you level up as well.  I remember at 7 I soloed a level 9 boss.  But no way I could solo a 15 boss at 13 with this character.  Even a 13 boss I would probably need some inspiration to solo.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: April 15, 2004, 07:56:38 AM

In the most recent patch they made some changes to make lower level bosses a bit easier and higher level ones harder. In general most will not have good luck against bosses solo after 20 or so. Once you pass 20 boss mobs start getting all sorts of nasty icky mean tricks that really can ruin your day.

Also bosses are very resistant to hold powers so it is difficult to completly shut them down as you can with other mobs.

Kaid
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: City of Heroes Episode I: A New Hope  
Jump to: