Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:24:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Like My Scarf? (Demon Hunter) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Like My Scarf? (Demon Hunter)  (Read 18123 times)
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: May 19, 2012, 06:41:21 PM

I've been amusing myself with a DH for the evening.

Entangling Shot + lightning DoT thingy is love. Probably not nearly as effective as bola spam was, but it's adorable anyways.

All of my hate goes to Spike Trap abuse right now. Because it's SO ABUSABLE. No LOS requirements. Mobs don't aggro when you plant it. Every champ pack I see before they rush me turns into a fine red paste before they even move.

If I do get jumped, I just plant them at my feet and flip back. Seriously, why do I even have a bow, I'm basically just running around planting land mines all over the world. Also, the 3 seconds of massive lifetap works great with landmine spam.

Class is squishy as all fuck if you get hit, though.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: May 19, 2012, 07:19:28 PM

I love it so far. I'm still level 16 and I like rapid fire (it works quite good against bosses or elite enemies) compared to the wizard (my first choice) it feels like easy mode though.

Same experience. Just been messing around but I'm steamrolling things my Wizard needed to kite around the entire dungeon. That PBAOE snare + rapid fire is just insane. Compared to wizard anyway.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: May 20, 2012, 01:15:41 AM

I bought a dead killy crossbow from the AH and got the shotgun blast thingy from the archery tree. It one shots normal mobs. Life is good.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: May 20, 2012, 03:47:51 AM

I'm struggling against Belial. Phase 1 I drop a Sentry gun and zap/slow/rapid fire the mobs. Phase 2 - bloody Belial teleports the same direction that I flip to escape him. Got to phase 3 once and got 1 shot by his claw :( WTB tank =D

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #39 on: May 20, 2012, 04:43:58 AM

Yeah stuck at phase 3 too.  Only get to him half.  I keep the jump skill to avoid the green fire, but it's pretty inaccurate.  Not sure what the solution might be except repetitive grind?  I bought new crossbows on the AH and that helped, but phase3 has eluded me for over an hour.  Had to go port back to repair fully.
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: May 20, 2012, 07:12:00 AM

In my experience the solution to most problems on the DH is to abuse the shit out of Smoke Screen.  Get some +Max Discipline, glyph Smoke Screen to be three seconds long and use your favourite flavour of Preparation to keep it up whenever needed.

Far as I can tell it's complete damage immunity.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: May 20, 2012, 07:22:44 AM

I just got it before logging last night (heh, "logging" from single player mode...). Does Smoke Screen make you lose aggro completely?
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: May 20, 2012, 07:30:52 AM

Yes.  It's completely absurd but I have no idea how someone would do Hell without it.  You lose aggro, the mobs just stand around while it's up (if solo), and you can walk through fire and poison or whatever else without taking any damage.

My partner in crime has gotten REALLY good at kiting and playing defensively as he has to deal with everything while I untouchably unleash hot fury.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: May 20, 2012, 05:53:16 PM

Tanky Hunter (been playing this to pretty good success as the 'tank' in a hell team game):

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WQglhT!VfX!ZbYaZZ

The goal is to be able to keep up Shadow Power indefinitely, which most of the time you can get close to doing.  I use 1h crossbow+shield and look primarily for armor and damage on gear, running about 20k hp at level 55.  Hitting as much shit as possible with multishot is essential to regaining discipline, which means that it's not so hot against solo enemies or bosses.  But it is solid against champions and incredible against big packs.  I'm having quite a bit of fun with this.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: May 20, 2012, 07:21:46 PM

Yes.  It's completely absurd but I have no idea how someone would do Hell without it.  You lose aggro, the mobs just stand around while it's up (if solo), and you can walk through fire and poison or whatever else without taking any damage.

Nice, thanks. I swear DH is easymode compared to my Wizard. Maybe I'll go, but probably not. Just having Smoke Screen survivability at all is great. I'm not anywhere near the high levels though. No idea what changes.
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: May 20, 2012, 10:28:26 PM

The goal is to be able to keep up Shadow Power indefinitely, which most of the time you can get close to doing.

Your build didn't quite come through but does shield + Gloomed Shadow Power actually let you tank elite packs in Hell?  That's awesome if it does.

At 60 you kinda need a build that can do everything if you want to keep the stacking buff.   I don't see that one working for bosses unless you can keep Gloom up 100% of the time without the Disc leach from multishot.

Hmm, maybe if you stacked crit chance and used Archery + Night Stalker passives you'd be able to use Cluster Arrow the same way as Multishot?  I'd also dump Rain of Vengeance for the Focused Mind / Backup Plan versions of Prep.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 20, 2012, 11:18:58 PM

I just beat Belial on normal. I used the turret, healshot ability thingie, and the damage mark to make phase 2 go fasta. I couldn't seem to get Belial marked in phase 3. Too far away.
I just kept mobile. Stay out of the crap he plops on the ground, stay ahead of his arm smash by moving along the ledge, and taking potshots and chakram attacks. Takes a while, but I got him at level 25.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: May 21, 2012, 12:09:11 AM

I got B on my first try, though I died right after he went down because I'd forgotten to equip proper health potions. Turret and elemental shot was easy maintenance dps while the jump thing kept me alive.

trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: May 21, 2012, 06:38:57 AM

The goal is to be able to keep up Shadow Power indefinitely, which most of the time you can get close to doing.

Your build didn't quite come through but does shield + Gloomed Shadow Power actually let you tank elite packs in Hell?  That's awesome if it does.

At 60 you kinda need a build that can do everything if you want to keep the stacking buff.   I don't see that one working for bosses unless you can keep Gloom up 100% of the time without the Disc leach from multishot.

Hmm, maybe if you stacked crit chance and used Archery + Night Stalker passives you'd be able to use Cluster Arrow the same way as Multishot?  I'd also dump Rain of Vengeance for the Focused Mind / Backup Plan versions of Prep.

Doh!  Just copy paste it.  For some reason the link craps out.  Many packs are tankable.  Some aren't.  You still need to not stand in arcane beams/desecration pools.  Immune minions are simply impossible (seriously, utterly impossible).  Some are really easy.  I went up against a reflect/vampiricsm/waller and just laughed.

I'm not sure if cluster arrow would work simply because the hatred cost is so high, but I could see a crit build working with a lower hatred cost ability.  Would have to really build for it.  I have +12% crit chance right now and that just makes my build viable.  Would need alot more to ditch multishot.
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 21, 2012, 06:06:47 PM

Yes.  It's completely absurd but I have no idea how someone would do Hell without it.  You lose aggro, the mobs just stand around while it's up (if solo), and you can walk through fire and poison or whatever else without taking any damage.

My partner in crime has gotten REALLY good at kiting and playing defensively as he has to deal with everything while I untouchably unleash hot fury.

Yeah, I moved to stacking +discipline and just smokescreening, and it's kind of absurd how good it is.

Current build:

Bola shot (+range)
Rapid Fire (-hatred)
Smoke Screen (3 secs)
Vault (cheaper 2nd vault)
Shadow Power (30% leech)
Prep (+max discipline)

I feel like I should get rid of something out of those last 4 skills, to add an AOE hatred sink, but I'm not sure what. Well, I know, it should be Vault, but it's such a quality of life thing to just zip around the map so fast.

Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: May 21, 2012, 07:26:34 PM

I feel like I should get rid of something out of those last 4 skills.
Vault or Shadow Power.  If you like the mobility take the passive that gives speed boost on Smoke Screen.  You can fucking book it forever and skip whatever you want.  Learned that when getting the Whimseyshire staff together.

Been slogging through Inferno and got the Butcher down.  Core skills have been:

Smoke Screen + Duration
Pet + Hate
Preperation + 30% Freebie

The damage skills are still changing a bit but as a starter reccomendation through Hell+:

Multishot + either half cost or +Disc.
Cluster Arrow + Loaded for Bear (This hits like a truck)
Left Mouse is a bit of a toss-up but normally use the +Hate version of Entangle or the Arcane Bolas.  If I was good with grenades I'd run +Hate nades with the nade passive. 

My normal passives are Vengeance + Archery + Random one.  You need to get your Discipline pool as high as possible too.  Over 50 is not hard at all and makes a big difference.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #51 on: May 23, 2012, 02:31:05 AM

Elemental Arrow + rune is seriously overpowered.

Smoke Screen + Duration
Bola + electrical charge
Vault + Stun
Hail of Arrows (Awesome for crowds)
Trap
Elemental arrow + frost (the arrow splits drop large crowds like flies)

combine with faster hatred regen and you kill all the things, especially with a fast bow

Just press the right mouse button until hatred is used up, lose aggro with smoke screen and get out of tight spots with vault, drop hail of arrows every time the cooldown is up use traps liberally on choke points or stunned targets. Asmodan took like 30 seconds to kill.

2H Bow + Quiver is hands down better than dual wield btw.
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: May 23, 2012, 08:55:32 AM

I'm kind of liking the flexibility of DH a lot.

Smoke Screen + Duration is mandatory. I feel like Prep feels pretty essential since it saves me a lot of kiting. Everything else is pretty flexible.

I've dropped both Vault and Shadow Power from my build: it's a lot easier to just not get hit, and if I really need to run, I have the Tactical Advantage passive.
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: May 23, 2012, 11:11:38 AM

Smoke Screen duration nerf hotfixed in!

awesome, for real

EDIT: Oh, wait. This is much worse than expected. Duration is now 1/2 seconds, but CD is still 2/3 seconds. So there's no chaining this together anymore.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 11:20:27 AM by tastyhat »
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: May 23, 2012, 03:51:35 PM

Haven't played with the new version but my DH had kinda brick-walled at Inferno Act2.  Farming late Act I with chain Smoke Screen was already going to be tedious, if it turns out to be impossible now then I'm not too heart-broken.    There are other classes to try while I wait for more crazy people to group with for Inferno.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: May 23, 2012, 09:06:54 PM

I'm still playing my tank demon hunter in act 1 inferno and it's still working.  I do way more kiting/play more defensively but still works.  Some of this might be due to the fact that I have an awesome weapon and that nether tentacles is overpowered as shit.

Bolo+thundering
Elemental+Nether
Prep+45 over 15 (very good as long as you dont have +disc items)
Impale+Awareness
Multishot+Suppression
Shadow+Gloom

Archery
Perfectionist
Crit gives discipline (forget name).

35k health 4.8k armor (with enchantress) 120-170 resists 11000 damage
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:08:42 PM by trias_e »
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: May 24, 2012, 09:30:05 AM

Sharpshooter + Ball Lightning (or Nether Tentacles once you get that high) is insane.  The crit rating doesn't reset until the first projectile hits.  Since these are so slow, if you shoot from long range you can get 4 off before the first hits.  4 guaranteed crits on a nice AE spell = devastation.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: May 24, 2012, 09:32:37 AM

They're both crazy good because on larger model targets they hit 2-3 times, and the cost is essentially nothing.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: May 24, 2012, 09:25:02 PM

I can't get past phase2 of Diablo.  Any suggestions?  Smoke doesn't work or was nerfed.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #59 on: May 24, 2012, 11:47:38 PM

That's the shadow part, right?  Vault (glyphed for stun, which works) helped a lot with the Diablo fight for me.  As long as I was able to keep distance, I was doing well.  I can't remember if I stuck with dual chakram or went for single target with rapid fire. 

-Rasix
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: May 25, 2012, 12:15:35 AM

Is it the Shadow Clone giving you trouble?  I found I needed to drop a ton of bricks on him as soon as he spawned.  I'd try Cluster Arrows or maybe the stunning version of Impale and hold enough Hate to make it hurt.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #61 on: May 25, 2012, 01:34:09 AM

I can't get past phase2 of Diablo.  Any suggestions?  Smoke doesn't work or was nerfed.
I just finished this on Normal in one try. I went with a "evasion" build an let my Sentry do a lot of the work. Make sure you have enough potions available since Phase 2 doesn't have the healing wells. I basically just ran around a lot letting my Sentry plink away at Diablo. My clone I did try and beat down as fast as possible. My skills were:

LM - Bolo Shot (Thunder Ball) - this was my main attack in Act 4 and I didn't bother to change it for Diablo
RM - Elemental Arrow (Ball Lightning) - same as above
1 - Vault (Action Shot) - Should've gone with Rattling Roll but it worked out okay
2 - Smoke Screen (Lingering Fog)
3 - Preparation (Invigoration)
4 - Sentry (Spitfire Turret)
Passives - Vengeance, Cull the Weak, Archery - these were the passives I was using in Act 4 and I didn't bother to change them up for Diablo

If I had to do this again I probably would switch out Vault for Caltrops (with Jagged Spikes) or Spike Trap for some extra damage instead of the extra "evasion" skill.

I had 293 DPS with 3170 HPs.
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: May 25, 2012, 09:43:34 PM

I'm getting one-shotted (his charge/teleport ability) by Izual on Nightmare, level 47.  I had a pretty easy time to there, but I guess this means I need a lot more vitality? Or am I just a little too low for what I'm doing?

Current build:
1H+Shield

Smoke (+duration) / Bat companion / Prep (+heal)
Multishot (-cost)
Implale (+stun)
Bolo (+stun)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 09:45:05 PM by tastyhat »
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: May 25, 2012, 11:52:30 PM

Figured it out. Kite around the circles: he can't charge.

Diablo took a little trip to the AH for some more vitality to make phase 2 more comfortable, but was not that bad. Stunlocks for the win.

Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: May 26, 2012, 12:04:24 AM

Yeah kiting seems to be the way to go for most big fights. I still couldn't solo Diablo in phase2 which is disappointing.  Guess it was my gear.  Finally did it with a PUG. 
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #65 on: May 27, 2012, 03:38:01 AM

Ferret companion rune means TWO ferret pets rather than one.  why so serious?

God Save the Horn Players
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: May 27, 2012, 09:48:34 AM

That REALLY should have gone to the barbarian.

I am the .00000001428%
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #67 on: May 27, 2012, 10:30:28 AM

LMAO. I loved that movie when I was a kid.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #68 on: May 27, 2012, 04:09:53 PM

Can't say I disagree.

God Save the Horn Players
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: May 30, 2012, 12:52:25 PM

Finally cracked Inferno Belial.   3k Armour, 25k DPS, 36K Health.

Conventional wisdom appears to be go glass cannon and pray but I've come around completely and heartily recommend paying attention to Resist All, Armour, and Vitality in about that order.  Reduced damage from melee attacks (read: String of Ears) pushed me over the top.  Being able to take 2-3 hits w/o dodging or having to use a cooldown is amazing.

I use this for Zoltun farm runs and it's what I found best for Belial:  http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#bRXgVl!feX!acZYcc

I lean more heavily on Gloom now than Smoke Screen and with a good connection you could probably drop Smoke Screen for stunning or cheap Vault.  I also replace the Nightstalker passive regularly with Tactical Advantage, Cull the Weak, or Sharpshooter depending on the situation.  I'd really like to drop Preparation for something a bit more interesting but I don't think a good weapon or chest slot with +Max Discipline exists.  Aside from quivers the DH exclusive gear is garbage.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Like My Scarf? (Demon Hunter)  
Jump to: