Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:34:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: The sky has not fallen (yet) 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The sky has not fallen (yet)  (Read 243310 times)
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #770 on: July 19, 2012, 10:34:16 AM

Negative commentary about a company isn't necessarily trolling, and (unless I'm mistaken) this is the "sky is falling" thread. 

It never ceases to amaze me how people get such personal butt hurt over their MMO of choice. 

Simond has a body of work, though. He's just white noise when it comes to Bioware. :P

Me, I don't really care if the game goes F2P or not, as long as what they come up with for it isn't way more annoying than just having a running subscription.  Ohhhhh, I see.

God Save the Horn Players
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #771 on: July 19, 2012, 10:37:49 AM

Well maybe it should get un-graveyarded then?
No.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #772 on: July 19, 2012, 11:16:54 AM

Well maybe it should get un-graveyarded then?
No.

That was not a serious suggestion.   why so serious?
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #773 on: July 19, 2012, 01:46:22 PM

I believe that the current discussion has really been focused more on whether or not the game is going to go F2P and whether or not that would be a good thing.  A lot of folks here seem to take the (dated) stance that going F2P = dead.  

The question is whether it's more profitable for a game with so many subs to go F2P before they are dying.  They'd lose a lot of customers and gain a lot.  Which group is worth more?

We don't even know what kind of F2P they'd be allowed to do either.  As far as Lucas is concerned an F2P MMO is an entirely different license.   
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #774 on: July 19, 2012, 01:58:24 PM

One would assume that depends on what language was in their initial contracts. 
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #775 on: July 19, 2012, 02:14:42 PM

One would assume that depends on what language was in their initial contracts. 

Yea but the point is they probably don't already have leave to just do whatever will make them the most profit.   Sony already has a contract for a F2P Star Wars MMO.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #776 on: July 19, 2012, 05:05:15 PM

I suspect the contract is going to be a sticking point. As is convincing EA to keep investing substantial funds while they make the transition. But merging the servers probably did a lot to slow their burn rate, which still doesn't excuse the fact they should have done it much earlier than they did.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #777 on: July 19, 2012, 05:38:27 PM

I suspect the contract is going to be a sticking point.

There's no doubt that it may be an issue, but most things are negotiable.  It just depends upon how much money George L will get out of the deal. 
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #778 on: July 19, 2012, 10:52:08 PM

Yeah, but he's greedy, expects to be dealing in large numbers and has the option to whore out the IP again. For him a re-negotiation might just as easily be a chance to recover the value of the license (/spit).

I don't think converting it to f2p is easy either, their model and expectations of their current subscribers are going to have to be rather brutally re-adjusted. Plus that conversion process will take time and cost money.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #779 on: July 20, 2012, 06:35:34 AM

I don't think converting it to f2p is easy either, their model and expectations of their current subscribers are going to have to be rather brutally re-adjusted. Plus that conversion process will take time and cost money.

True, but there is at least one shining example out there that shows that it is imminently doable. 
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #780 on: July 20, 2012, 03:50:45 PM

I think you're misremembering WAR a bit. It wasn't at all obvious straight away that the game was a failure - you can probably go dig up all kinds of posts by the f13 people who were playing it about how much fun Tier 1 PVP was, etc.

The horrid performance of the client was just too obvious a black mark against their team.  It had graphics aimed at market penetration yet it caused even high end computers to choke.  I'm not arguing that actually killed the game.  I'm saying it simply made it obvious Day 1 that they didn't have what it took from a software engineering standpoint.

That's just not right, they could have saved WAR by cutting the grind, it wasn't till later when they showed a clear intention to go in the opposite direction with a post release patch, that schild immediately recognised what was about to happen and graveyarded it.  

A minor tweak to rotate battleground spawns and a mass nerf on exp required past tier 2 and they'd have had months to fix the higher level issues.   Tier 1-2 world pvp was actually great, there was just no exp for it and exp was everything due to the grind ahead.  The higher level issues with the client must be related to the number of abilities gained as they certainly weren't to do with number of players in an area, I remember one tier 1/2 keep battle lasting nearly 24 hours with hundreds involved.  That was before people figured out there was no reward involved.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 03:52:23 PM by Arthur_Parker »
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #781 on: July 20, 2012, 05:45:05 PM

That's just not right, they could have saved WAR by cutting the grind.....

Deal with it!

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #782 on: July 20, 2012, 07:19:07 PM

That's just not right, they could have saved WAR by cutting the grind, it wasn't till later when they showed a clear intention to go in the opposite direction with a post release patch, that schild immediately recognised what was about to happen and graveyarded it.  

No way.  My point was it didn't even matter what they did.  They lacked the ability to even carry out whatever they wanted to do.  That client was SB.exe bad.  Whoever made it just wasn't capable of fixing anything in a timely manner.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #783 on: July 20, 2012, 07:25:18 PM

That client was SB.exe bad.

Not my experience in the slightest.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #784 on: July 20, 2012, 07:31:30 PM

Yeah, everything actually ran pretty well for me with WHO also. 
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #785 on: July 20, 2012, 08:52:54 PM

Even small RvR fights like 20vs20 would destroy it.  The performance was awful.  I never met a single person who could claim otherwise no matter what rig they had.   It wasn't some bug either.   It was that way in beta for a long time.   Considering the machines they were shooting for in the first place it was truly awful.  They built that client with the intent of running on pretty much anything.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #786 on: July 20, 2012, 11:48:36 PM

I disagree so strongly it's difficult not to be rude.  why so serious?
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #787 on: July 21, 2012, 01:07:01 AM

I used to be perfectly fine in WH until it got over 100 ppl.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #788 on: July 22, 2012, 10:38:27 PM

Whoever made it just wasn't capable of fixing anything in a timely manner.

I think the speed they added additional bars was pretty timely  why so serious?
Pendan
Terracotta Army

Reply #789 on: July 23, 2012, 10:56:50 AM

I used to be perfectly fine in WH until it got over 100 ppl.
same
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #790 on: July 23, 2012, 01:23:28 PM

I disagree so strongly it's difficult not to be rude.  why so serious?

I dunno, my experience matches with Amaron's, pretty much.  I suppose it depends on which of us the "average" user was closer to in terms of performance.

Game ran fine in PvE and in Battlegrounds on high detail, but once serious RvR started things became a slideshow and I had to crank the video quality down to do anything.  Plus, the number of graphical glitches (animations which looped indefinitely, beams and particle effects which didn't fade away when they were supposed to, etc.) and technical issues (waiting ten or twenty seconds to open your mail, pets and mobs warping crazily all over the place, etc.).  I didn't get the impression that the client was particularly stable.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #791 on: July 23, 2012, 03:15:35 PM

Well as it's Mythic,  it wouldn't surprise me if certain configurations didn't work well.  I just don't think you can make a blanket statement that it didn't perform well with lots of players, I was in a few keep battles at near max level with roughly 100 players and I wasn't impressed, but I was very surprised how playable and enjoyable world pvp was at low level with maybe twice that number.  Which leads me to believe all the extra ability crap that higher level characters had just needed to be toned down some.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #792 on: July 29, 2012, 07:02:43 PM

I believe there's an EA earnings call this week and rumours* are circulating that CEO Riccitiello will be stepping down in the near future.

*I should add that EA has debunked those rumours, but that's also what they'd do if they were going to remove the CEO.

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #793 on: July 31, 2012, 12:37:43 PM

SWTOR is officially going F2P this Fall. Heart

F2P FAQ here.

I guess I win 2 internet points for guessing that it would happen before the end of the year.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 12:39:14 PM by Rokal »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #794 on: July 31, 2012, 12:39:04 PM

Heartbreak

Disappointing. Hopefully it won't be as gouge-y a model as DDO/LotRO. (And won't be in my face all the time.)

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #795 on: July 31, 2012, 12:44:54 PM

F2P comparison matrix here.

Interesting that raids will be subscriber-only, that's a first for a F2P MMO. The list looks pretty good for the way I would be playing the game though.
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #796 on: July 31, 2012, 12:51:22 PM

Wait, they're limiting spaaaaaaaace missions for free players?  Head scratch

Also wondering what they'll kill from the travel options (watch it be the emergency fleet transport).

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #797 on: July 31, 2012, 12:57:52 PM

F2P comparison matrix here.

Interesting that raids will be subscriber-only, that's a first for a F2P MMO. The list looks pretty good for the way I would be playing the game though.
(Incarnate) raids are sub-only in COH, but yeah.

Looks like they're having the lotro-style "resub now until f2p hits and you'll get a whole lotta f2p funny-money during the transition!" thing. It's a much harder sell for me with TSW, GW2, MOP and possibly Storm Legion on the table, though... gah, decisions decisions!

edit: The weekly flashpoint/warzone restrictions better be a 'pay X points once to remove this from all characters on your account' thing (and/or be grandfathered for people who bought the game to begin with)
edit2: I assume Legacy will be limited to subbers - that's actually fine with me (it's a lot of nice fluff, but not game-breaking)
edit3: Meh, I expected SWTOR to last at least a year... figured Rift'd go F2P before it, actually. What happened at that earnings call?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 01:06:01 PM by Zetor »

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #798 on: July 31, 2012, 01:02:56 PM

I'm laughing my arse off.

BTW, everyone better be voting for Party Jawa.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #799 on: July 31, 2012, 01:11:53 PM

Looks like they're having the lotro-style "resub now until f2p hits and you'll get a whole lotta f2p funny-money during the transition!" thing. It's a much harder sell for me with TSW, GW2, MOP and possibly Storm Legion on the table, though... gah, decisions decisions!

I feel silly because I just resubbed to SWTOR last week and convinced my SO to buy the game. The promise of free store currency for people that remain subbed is nice, but there currently isn't any indication of how much that currency is worth. If 200 points=$2, 200 points per month between now any the F2P launch isn't exactly generous.

BTW, everyone better be voting for Party Jawa.

Of course.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #800 on: July 31, 2012, 01:13:07 PM

Jawa thing went over my head. Buh?

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #801 on: July 31, 2012, 01:13:49 PM

There's a facebook vote thing at http://www.swtor.com/free/

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #802 on: July 31, 2012, 01:17:28 PM

Utterly disappointing, but completely unsurprising. I have yet to see an F2P conversion I enjoyed, and this will likely end up killing the game for me.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #803 on: July 31, 2012, 01:20:42 PM

The COH transition was almost* ok.

* if you had a vet account with enough past sub-time that you unlocked IOs, that is... yeah I know, that's a pretty big if.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #804 on: July 31, 2012, 01:28:52 PM

The COH transition was almost* ok.

* if you had a vet account with enough past sub-time that you unlocked IOs, that is... yeah I know, that's a pretty big if.

Yeah, and that * was what ruined it for me.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: The sky has not fallen (yet)  
Jump to: