Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:17:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: First Impressions 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Impressions  (Read 316460 times)
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1085 on: December 05, 2012, 10:37:52 AM

That's just a ridiculously good player and build. I have no idea how to counter that. Necro turning boons into conditions? Glamour build Mesmer cranking out the confusion stacks? I don't even know...
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1086 on: December 05, 2012, 10:43:20 AM

TFDR

terrible format didn't read.

If you have the Reddit Enhancement Suite you can browse threads like that by various groups, including submitter, which makes finding responses very simple.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
sachiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1087 on: December 05, 2012, 12:29:35 PM

Yar, I use daggers now... my staff phase was a while ago, still in green gear too.  In WVW I only use the staff for keeps now (both defense and offense), otherwise it's All Dagger, All The Time.

That said, I still bust out the staff a lot in dungeons/fractals since that 1200 range + ability-to-keep-party-members-standing-in-fire-alive is so sweet.

Oh yeah, I still carry a staff for keepage, but i hate using it.  BTW, if you haven't grabbed a focus, get one.  Focus air #4 can be used to block treb and cata shots, especially useful when your team is trying to push back on a tower with trebs and you can protect the keep walls while they do.  I'd rather do that than meteor walls I hate staff so much.  Besides, my build isn't high damage; let a glass cannon ele go bomb keep walls.

As for what classes can counter that and actually kill them?  A few.  Our weakness if is you lock us down and can keep at range as a dagger has no range options beyond 600 yards.  Unlike other classes, we don't have a weapons swap that can go from melee to range, and if the ele is dagger, they're not very threatening past 300 yards.  We still have many gap closers, ride the lightning (1200, breaks cripple, but can be rooted and still takes damage), burning speed (600, but subject to cripple), teleport (900) and magnetic grasp (900, useless if target is out of range), but it can be done.  I had a ranger lock me down and kill me the other day, so it's not impossible.  I made some mistakes on that one, and he was good about reading my tells and stayed at about 1000 range.

What makes the class so insanely powerful are the sheer number of skills we can cycle through and the vast amount of effects from burning, bleeding, blind, chill, cripple, blowout, knockdown that you can put on pbae/cone targets in such a short amount of time.  And you can wade into the middle of the mob, lay down several conditions and decent damage, disorient the zerg and still get out.  I dive into the zerg better than a warrior or guardian.  And even if you do get locked and downed in the zerg, you have #2 to vapor form back to your side for a res.  I love pushing the front line; it's such a different playstyle from staff and so goddamn much fun.  Still love running in small groups more and you will dominate because you're giving regen, might, protection or swiftness every attunement swap, sharing stun/chill auras + fury/swiftness and have tons of +healing and condition stripping with cone of cold/cleansing wave.  I run Excala's build, 0/10/0/30/30, and use 2 monk, 2 water and 2 divinity with PVT + clerics bits to get my healing over 800.  Use Corruption/Battle sigils to 25, then Force/Battle.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 12:49:14 PM by sachiel »
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1088 on: January 16, 2013, 02:45:43 PM

I am really enjoying this game. Been playing the crap out of it this week due to a horrible toothache that I've had to endure until tomorrow when blessed relief will be given at the endodontist. (Vicodin is worthless, and now I know why whiskey/alcohol is the stereotypic answer to toothaches - why don't people prescribe it? It works wonders, truly better than ibuprofen or vicodin).

I have a 27 necro and a 30 elementalist. Both are a lot of fun. I want to make a mesmer but not quite yet. Exploring is fun, the community is very nice (at least on Gates of Madness), wvwvw is a lot of fun too. This game has a lot of fresh concepts, and the explorer in me is so happy.

The trade post is innovative.

Crafting is interesting - seems like it needs a rework (or maybe not?) as so many of the pieces are not in demand. But then, I don't know really about the stats and how well they work. I stacked toughness on my elementalist for survival in wvw and it has helped quite a bit. My necro stacks condition damage mostly and whatever else is on the piece I want to buy. I don't have the stats down yet for sure.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1089 on: January 16, 2013, 07:51:45 PM

Been out for awhile but keep up on the patches just in case. Probably return after I'm done with AC3 (which might not possibly coincide with completing the damned game, mind you).

Was nice to see they finally made Ele underwater abilities fields and finishers. Drove me nutty how all those fields had not combo effects. Really the primary reason I didn't enjoy underwater combat. It just didn't feel like the class.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1090 on: January 16, 2013, 07:54:10 PM

The trade post is innovative.

Crafting is interesting - seems like it needs a rework (or maybe not?) as so many of the pieces are not in demand. But then, I don't know really about the stats and how well they work. I stacked toughness on my elementalist for survival in wvw and it has helped quite a bit. My necro stacks condition damage mostly and whatever else is on the piece I want to buy. I don't have the stats down yet for sure.

The crafting is not in demand because the trade post was so innovative. It's cross server which means everyone and their dog is trying to make money at the game and they all think that undercutting is better than selling at the going rate and letting the random number generator pick sales. So if you find anything that sells for slightly above break even you will quickly be undercut by someone for enough to push the price down to barely worth it. People still sell stuff for 1c over vendor dispite the trading post listing the expected returns and advertising the sales cost, and they still think they are making a profit.

amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #1091 on: January 17, 2013, 05:01:43 AM

Yar, I use daggers now... my staff phase was a while ago, still in green gear too.  In WVW I only use the staff for keeps now (both defense and offense), otherwise it's All Dagger, All The Time.

That said, I still bust out the staff a lot in dungeons/fractals since that 1200 range + ability-to-keep-party-members-standing-in-fire-alive is so sweet.

A nice middle ground is S/D.  You won't have the 1v1 capabilities you have with D/D and you take a slight hit to mobility, but you get range, better tank, more AoE and better group support.  Plus might stacking out the wazoo.   
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: First Impressions  
Jump to: