Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 02:19:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: First Impressions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Impressions  (Read 323351 times)
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #910 on: September 13, 2012, 05:11:01 AM

There's a DE in Sparkfly Fen where you have to elimate all 25 risen from the valley.  The tricky part is 1) they respawn decently fast and 2) players are downscaled to 65 but the mobs are 67.

This is a really awesome DE because you get the zerg coming in, but the zerg only focuses on at max 3 enemies at once and the only way to beat the refresh time is to split the group up (which the two times I've done the DE doesn't happen for a while cause everyone stays in the follow the zerg mentality).

I hope I can find more like that.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #911 on: September 13, 2012, 05:31:24 AM

Orr is full of those. What's more, the number of mob respawns scales with the number of people present, so a concentrated zerg hurts you more than it helps.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #912 on: September 13, 2012, 09:31:01 AM

Orr is full of those. What's more, the number of mob respawns scales with the number of people present, so a concentrated zerg hurts you more than it helps.

Depending on the event. But yeah, late Orr is level 84 Risen all over the damned place. A good zerg of players does well. A shitty zerg gets mauled in seconds. I'm looking at you, Balthazar event.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #913 on: September 14, 2012, 06:51:04 PM

This game is probably the best PvE I have ever seen in a game. Fully scratches my explorer itch because if you just pick a direction and start wandering you'll probably find something.

Was in the second charr zone (Diessa Plateau) and there's a multiple phase dynamic event to capture the flame legion fort.. All well and good. That opens a gateway to a large semi-submerged dungeon. Which has multi-step interaction with the environment to collect a sword used as a key later, use a buff and a picked up object to cause a timed and multi-target environmental interaction that opens a locked door leading to the boss of the cavern (who sadly killed me and the other two people I'd picked up en-route). This would be a progression dungeon in a sane game but here it's just an interesting feature on the levelling path.

The amount of content, and the quality of it, for a box price is just nuts.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #914 on: September 15, 2012, 05:11:01 AM

Yeah, that public dungeon which you unlock made me go from loving the game to LOVING the game.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #915 on: September 15, 2012, 08:51:27 AM

I tried but it won't let me play.  I can't even download it.  It doesn't like my account name/password AFTER I registered and it accepted them via email verification.  Either that or the hackers are so eager to hack that the got me BEFORE I even downloaded the game!  And there we have my re-entry into the world of MMOs.  Maybe it's an omen. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #916 on: September 16, 2012, 12:09:48 PM

A serious problem that I can see with the game in its current implementation is that it makes it VERY FUCKING HARD for me to pvp with my friends in any way other than tournaments.  Groups need to be able to queue for wvw together.  Groups should be able to play in 8v8 together.  If I can't easily pvp with my friends, then I really don't really have a reason to play.  GW2 is supposed to pride itself on the pvp component.  If I can't play with my friends easily and often, the game fails miserably.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #917 on: September 16, 2012, 01:45:40 PM

I thought there was a 'join hotjoin game my friend's playing in' button? Anyway, this coin has another side, and that's pug-bashing. Arenanet have been notoriously against the concept of premades in casual formats since GW1, and as someone who pugs 90% of the time (and duos the other 10%), I prefer it this way.

Maybe they could add a group matching queue like LOL (so if one side has a group of 3, the other side will too) - but I have a hunch that 8v8 hotjoin isn't seen as "serious pvp" by the devs (the maps have been designed for 5v5).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 01:48:35 PM by Zetor »

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #918 on: September 16, 2012, 05:40:46 PM

And there we have my re-entry into the world of MMOs.

I thought you were playing Hellgate?

awesome, for real

I didn't read all of this thread but I had to post a grin from finding the asura archivist is named Grep.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #919 on: September 16, 2012, 06:07:34 PM

other than tournaments. 

What's wrong with tournaments? That's the mode intended to be played with a group of friends.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #920 on: September 16, 2012, 06:11:16 PM

I thought there was a 'join hotjoin game my friend's playing in' button?

There is, you can right click on them when partied and do "join in pvp".
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #921 on: September 16, 2012, 06:36:08 PM

Thanks.  Does this work in WvW also?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Genev
Terracotta Army

Reply #922 on: September 16, 2012, 07:11:59 PM

It doesn't work cross-continent.
Seg's US ass tried joining my EU ass in pvp :(
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #923 on: September 16, 2012, 07:48:55 PM

Thanks.  Does this work in WvW also?

I'm 99% sure it works in WvW, but it's been a while since I used it for WvW
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #924 on: September 17, 2012, 03:25:28 AM

I thought there was a 'join hotjoin game my friend's playing in' button? Anyway, this coin has another side, and that's pug-bashing. Arenanet have been notoriously against the concept of premades in casual formats since GW1, and as someone who pugs 90% of the time (and duos the other 10%), I prefer it this way.

Maybe they could add a group matching queue like LOL (so if one side has a group of 3, the other side will too) - but I have a hunch that 8v8 hotjoin isn't seen as "serious pvp" by the devs (the maps have been designed for 5v5).

WvW is already by some definition a premade. Pretty sure if there's no group queuing for WvW in a month or two I'm going to be more or less done with the game, since it won't really be providing the main thing I bought it for and I'll have 100% mapped out by then for sure.

Clicking to 'join' someone in WvW is worthless due to the queue. Without being able to queue as a group it is pointless.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #925 on: September 17, 2012, 05:31:06 AM

Love this game but it's definitely not for everyone.  My guild has all but left.  This is a faster exit than Rift and SWTOR.  To be fair, the folks I play with cut their MMO teeth on WoW, so it's understandable why they wouldn't find GW2 sticky. 

Personally, I think this will be my default game now that CoH is closing.  There's plenty to do, the pvp is reasonably entertaining, there's no monthly sub, and I like it MUCH better than Dia-blow 3. 

-  Mark Twain
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #926 on: September 17, 2012, 05:35:42 AM

Love this game but it's definitely not for everyone.  My guild has all but left.  This is a faster exit than Rift and SWTOR.  To be fair, the folks I play with cut their MMO teeth on WoW, so it's understandable why they wouldn't find GW2 sticky. 

Personally, I think this will be my default game now that CoH is closing.  There's plenty to do, the pvp is reasonably entertaining, there's no monthly sub, and I like it MUCH better than Dia-blow 3. 

WTF is wrong with your friends?   I would seriously be interested to know why they left.  My guild has only expanded since launch, we havent lost anyone.  I, like you, foresee this game as my default game as well...so much to do and I cant play it enough. 
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #927 on: September 17, 2012, 05:40:25 AM

I can definitely see this isn't a game for everyone. Personally, I love it and will be playing for a longtime,and most of my other friends feel the same. But there are a few who simply do not like the less structured approach to progression and group play - which is fair enough. Not every game has to be like WoW.

(and one is going to quit because the storyline is so bad, which I can fully understand. I cannot get over how awful the campaign is compared to the original guild wars storylines.)
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #928 on: September 17, 2012, 05:59:51 AM

It's too early to tell with my guildies, but this is the first game since SWG where more than a handful of us are playing at all. I think the lack of sub or mandatory cash shop makes the game for casual players, really.

I foresee doing the same things as with GW1: get through the campaign (and/or 100% map completion), and then only play casual wvw / spvp very sporadically. When the expansion comes out, come back to the game again until we're done with the content, rinse repeat. GW2 -does- have more stickiness to it than GW1, but it certainly can't hold a candle to WOW or Rift for example.

e: wrt wvw queue times, I imagine that'll solve itself in a few months after the rush dies down. It is also not too late to move off the huge overpopulated servers onto a smaller one - as long as you're fine with losing a lot  why so serious?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 06:11:17 AM by Zetor »

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #929 on: September 17, 2012, 06:08:09 AM

And there we have my re-entry into the world of MMOs.

I thought you were playing Hellgate?

awesome, for real

I didn't read all of this thread but I had to post a grin from finding the asura archivist is named Grep.

I still do play it sometimes but for some reason I never think of it as an MMO.  First off, I hardly ever see anyone there.  Second, I've never played with anyone else or even chatted to anyone in there.  I mostly play just to make things blow up.  I haven't even got to Tokyo yet!

I like this GW2, though.  It's nice they made it so I can walk over little bumps and stuff.  I HATED that!  I just wish my connection would stay... umm... connected.   ACK!

As for cross continent stuff - if PvP won't work that way, I suppose you could set up a vpn for that.  I use one for so much stuff that I finally broke down and paid for a good one.  There are plenty of decent ones for free though.  I think.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #930 on: September 17, 2012, 06:59:22 AM

Love this game but it's definitely not for everyone.  My guild has all but left.  This is a faster exit than Rift and SWTOR.  To be fair, the folks I play with cut their MMO teeth on WoW, so it's understandable why they wouldn't find GW2 sticky.  

I think the GW2 folks are going to find that phat lewt was the pellet that kept a lot of people playing even if the progress was illusory, it wrecked balance and it quickly made content obsolete. Then again maybe they know that and consider it an acceptable trade off and a reason for not charging a sub.

Then again the people posting on forums or complaining they are done are a self-selected sample. It would be fascinating to know their activity metrics.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #931 on: September 17, 2012, 07:56:45 AM

I've turned more and more into an explorer over time.  GW2 seems to have enough to explore for me to be happy for quite a while.  I'm basically always over leveled because I do everything I can in a zone.

The daily achievement reward is a killer for me.  Oh, you want to log off?  Well, you only need two more DE's and three more kill varieties to get a chest!

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
sachiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #932 on: September 17, 2012, 08:00:02 AM

I've turned more and more into an explorer over time.  GW2 seems to have enough to explore for me to be happy for quite a while.  I'm basically always over leveled because I do everything I can in a zone.

The daily achievement reward is a killer for me.  Oh, you want to log off?  Well, you only need two more DE's and three more kill varieties to get a chest!

Gotta get your daily penny!
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #933 on: September 17, 2012, 10:48:08 AM

WTF is wrong with your friends?   I would seriously be interested to know why they left.

Game seems to be interesting for explorers and PVP e-sport types, but I'm not sure about PVE raiders or story/plot-progression players (a la SWTOR).  And explorers, once they've explored an area, probably don't want to re-explore it.  So, really, I think the game will only retain e-sport pvp'ers, which may make it very niche.
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Once split a 12.5lb burger with a friend.

Reply #934 on: September 17, 2012, 11:05:32 AM

The mechanic of the auto-level you to the area works great for teaming up with the wife who is constantly re-rolling her characters, but yeah after twice through a zone I've already 100% explored, it gets old quick. The zone events along with the daily achievement do help quite a bit with that feeling though.
sachiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #935 on: September 17, 2012, 11:30:13 AM

WTF is wrong with your friends?   I would seriously be interested to know why they left.

Game seems to be interesting for explorers and PVP e-sport types, but I'm not sure about PVE raiders or story/plot-progression players (a la SWTOR).  And explorers, once they've explored an area, probably don't want to re-explore it.  So, really, I think the game will only retain e-sport pvp'ers, which may make it very niche.

The devs claim that they will "redo" zones over time to update with events, change up dynamic events and stuff like that, so there is replay down the road for exploration in older zones.
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #936 on: September 19, 2012, 01:55:50 PM

The cat horn people and rabbit people can get out.  Give me the frog people and the skritt as playable races!!!
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #937 on: September 19, 2012, 02:04:27 PM

Coo!  And manatee people!

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #938 on: September 19, 2012, 02:05:01 PM

Let's not turn the game into Furtopia please.

WTF is wrong with your friends?   I would seriously be interested to know why they left.

Game seems to be interesting for explorers and PVP e-sport types, but I'm not sure about PVE raiders or story/plot-progression players (a la SWTOR).  And explorers, once they've explored an area, probably don't want to re-explore it.  So, really, I think the game will only retain e-sport pvp'ers, which may make it very niche.

GW1 had basically the exact same issues, and it retained a lot more than just esport people. So, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Don't underestimate the power of massive achievement grind.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 02:06:54 PM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #939 on: September 19, 2012, 02:10:51 PM

And really isn't a massive, flashy and *pointless* grind the most hardcore of them all.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 02:25:13 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #940 on: September 19, 2012, 02:21:50 PM

Coo!  And manatee people!

I remember seeing the walrus people in WoW and telling a friend I would consider coming back if they were playable and got a bad ass jumping tusk dive attack.  Years later we get Kung Fu Panda.

MEH!
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #941 on: September 19, 2012, 02:22:31 PM

I don't think I've logged into GW2 in a week now.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #942 on: September 20, 2012, 02:17:36 AM

Let's not turn the game into Furtopia please.

WTF is wrong with your friends?   I would seriously be interested to know why they left.

Game seems to be interesting for explorers and PVP e-sport types, but I'm not sure about PVE raiders or story/plot-progression players (a la SWTOR).  And explorers, once they've explored an area, probably don't want to re-explore it.  So, really, I think the game will only retain e-sport pvp'ers, which may make it very niche.

GW1 had basically the exact same issues, and it retained a lot more than just esport people. So, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Don't underestimate the power of massive achievement grind.

Also, just simply killing stuff is fun for me in this game. Combat "feels" right (especially with some weapon... let's say Greatsword), as opposed to your usual autoattack bullshit. It's not Diablo 3 but just moving around and fighting is not as boring as in other DIKUs to me. To have the primary activity (combat) as engaging as it is here for me is a huge plus.

Genev
Terracotta Army

Reply #943 on: September 20, 2012, 04:05:39 AM

What i dislike about the (melee) combat is that even if you're autoattacking, you become "stuck" in the movements.
I've tried dodging out of shit while in melee, and most of the time, it doesn't work right.
Not really encouraging me to melee more/roll a melee char...
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #944 on: September 20, 2012, 04:39:30 AM

Interesting. I never had that feeling. I would say you are wrong but I don't know what weapons you tried or what else is going on. There are some channeled skills, and some dashes, that are harder to interrupt in order to dodge away, but in general it seems pretty straightforward and responsive to me. Or maybe I am just used to it.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 32 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: First Impressions  
Jump to: