Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:14:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: 0x10C (Notch makes Eve, but better) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 0x10C (Notch makes Eve, but better)  (Read 55612 times)
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: October 25, 2012, 07:29:26 PM

But you know, he's a millionaire that probably doesn't need to work another day in his life if he didn't want to so he can do whatever with his time. 

My guess is he's going to blow it. What he should have done is take anything and everything he made from Minecraft, dumped it into a healthy mutual fund account, and walked away.

What he will do is probably throw a bunch of it into his "next venture" that will never live up to Minecraft because he never truly understood what people loved about his game.

Or spend it on pimping out the Mojang offices.  Link here
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: October 26, 2012, 06:42:33 AM

That's a swank office but I guarantee it's not 1/10th the cost of some large game studios furnishings.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: October 26, 2012, 06:51:49 AM

0x10c testing

Multiplay + Combat test.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: October 26, 2012, 08:13:44 AM

I'm utterly confused, I thought this was a space ship programming/combat game....
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: October 26, 2012, 09:34:54 AM

I'm utterly confused, I thought this was a space ship programming/combat game....

It is a first person game, but everyone *has* their own space ship, with a programmable computer.  I'm not Notch has said a lot about ship combat though.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: October 26, 2012, 10:49:14 AM

I'm already sold on this game, it does look like they are going for something fun and not just programmer wet dream.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: October 28, 2012, 10:59:50 AM

That looks pretty fun, in a Marathon sorta way. Curious how it'll all hold together.
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: October 28, 2012, 11:18:08 AM

Video looked like boring gaming.  Not sure this will be for me. 
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: October 28, 2012, 11:37:59 AM

There's so little there that I don't know how anyone can decide one way or the other at this point.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: October 28, 2012, 11:44:52 AM

Feh. We've discussed / lauded / ridiculed entire games based nothing more than reserved URLs  awesome, for real
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: August 19, 2013, 03:52:11 AM

Game is dead

Persson said he had put the game "on ice" as a result of a "creative block," but indicated that he continued to support the project. Fans remained hopeful until this week, when during a Team Fortress 2 livestream, Persson said he had no future aspirations for the game.

I think Schild's take on Notch as a one-hit-wonder is becoming increasingly obvious.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: August 19, 2013, 05:29:38 AM

S'ok, I would rather his particular one-hit than a bunch of garbage. Sooner or later, I'm sure he'll get hit up by a big studio to put his name on something mediocre a la Will Wright or Sid Meier.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: August 19, 2013, 05:34:58 AM

Game is dead

Persson said he had put the game "on ice" as a result of a "creative block," but indicated that he continued to support the project. Fans remained hopeful until this week, when during a Team Fortress 2 livestream, Persson said he had no future aspirations for the game.

I think Schild's take on Notch as a one-hit-wonder is becoming increasingly obvious.

or, hes one of the few designers willing to walk away from a game that they find "not fun", instead of running it through anyway. He could still be a one hit wonder.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 05:36:38 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: August 19, 2013, 05:54:05 AM

I'm not faulting him for that; I don't really fault Notch for much at all really. It's more his fans who seem to think that he has the touch of midas.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #189 on: August 19, 2013, 07:25:25 AM

There's a reason people think of Randy Rhoads as a genius and Eddie VH as an angry drunk.

Maybe now notch can go work with SOE  Cthulu
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #190 on: August 19, 2013, 07:30:28 AM

Not surpising. The idea always sounded more like a intellectual exercise than a game.

"Me am play gods"
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #191 on: August 19, 2013, 09:57:41 AM

"This is neat, but how are you going to make it fun?"

*SHRUG*

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #192 on: August 19, 2013, 11:32:38 AM

More power to him deciding it wasn't fun and going on to something else.

I get the feeling he really likes working incrementally with feedback from whomever happens to be watching his tweets/streams/etc, but with the insane fan community that's following him post-minecraft, that's hard to do without people going nuts about every project.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #193 on: August 19, 2013, 12:15:38 PM

LOL, I bet the people who were already busy writing software (in machine code) for this thing are kinda pissed.   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #194 on: August 19, 2013, 12:29:20 PM

Those people never get to complain about anything, ever, for any reason.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: August 19, 2013, 12:46:15 PM

I guess I should stop working on my 0x10C Tali AI simulator.
schild
Administrator

Reply #196 on: August 19, 2013, 12:47:15 PM

Probably.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #197 on: August 19, 2013, 12:48:22 PM

It's a good life lesson on the perils of early adoption.  At least they didn't buy lifetime subs!

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: August 19, 2013, 04:29:58 PM

More power to him deciding it wasn't fun and going on to something else.

I get the feeling he really likes working incrementally with feedback from whomever happens to be watching his tweets/streams/etc, but with the insane fan community that's following him post-minecraft, that's hard to do without people going nuts about every project.

Yea, all of that. He needs to start operating under a pseudonym if he wants the iterative creative flexibility again.

I really had no idea where this game was going, and I kinda never thought they did either. But I got that same sense out of early MC development as well, so benefit of the doubt and all that. I doubt he's creatively bankrupt, but there's a whole bunch of sycophants who will jump all over his shit if the next thing he sees through to the end doesn't immediately do what took Minecraft years to achieve.

So, pseudonym or pull a Fez II.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: August 19, 2013, 04:41:48 PM

Reminder: Minecraft started as a (slightly) expanded Infiniminer. Notch is not as creative as the hype says; he was just in the right place at the right time.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
schild
Administrator

Reply #200 on: August 19, 2013, 04:46:29 PM

No one should have thought he was creative to begin with. His stuff oozes the opposite of creativity. All that is vanilla. Rather, he builds construction sets. Maybe he forgot he doesn't need to provide fun. I don't know.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #201 on: August 19, 2013, 05:30:25 PM

Notch does have a gift for procedural world generation.  Minecraft random worlds are genuinely fun to explore.  It's certainly fair to ask "what's he done for us since then?", I suppose, but I think claiming he entirely lacks creativity is a bit much.  The creepers and their ssssssskaboom are not high art, but they're definitely memorable, etc, etc.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: August 19, 2013, 07:21:32 PM

Reminder: Minecraft started as a (slightly) expanded Infiniminer. Notch is not as creative as the hype says; he was just in the right place at the right time.

Infiniminer is a completely different game in all respects with exception it used block like environments. Wurm is the prototype. Obviously there is influence from Infiniminer  however.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 07:25:48 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: August 20, 2013, 12:02:34 AM

Infiniminer is a completely different game in all respects with exception it used block like environments.

Minecraft began as basically an Infiniminer clone and Notch even says so himself.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: August 20, 2013, 04:10:45 AM

Creativity isn't necessarily "thinking of a new thing that no one has ever ever ever done". It can be "rethinking of a thing that's been possible for a long time that conventional wisdom has abandoned". In this case, starting at the level of a construction set and combining that with procedural world generation at a time when all the people even vaguely interested in either of those things had decided they weren't possible or weren't wanted.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #205 on: August 20, 2013, 05:50:19 AM

Infiniminer is a completely different game in all respects with exception it used block like environments. Wurm is the prototype. Obviously there is influence from Infiniminer  however.

Congratulations, you just won the "most bafflingly stupid thing I've heard today" award.

I've played all three. Wurm resembles Minecraft about as much as Captain Novolin resembles Saints Row IV.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: August 20, 2013, 06:36:40 AM

You played what Wurm turned into, mostly after notch left, due to the addition of all the time sinks. Things like recipes, the idea of the deformable terrain and mining systems are the common thread once you remove the time investments. Hell, even the crafting progress of wood, sans time investment, are the same. When he came across miner, he adopted it terrain system and applied what he had all ready been working on with wurm, the idea of the game, the crafting recipes sans the cockblocking that was mostly added by Rolf ( The co-creator and keeper of the servers ). I'm not saying Infiniminer  had no part, obviously it had a big impact in a number of areas once he applied wurm like systems to that method of terrain and materials. Minecraft is what notch wanted Wurm to be after a patch of mistaken idea that he was "hardcore". Its the point where "The vision" for it had diverged between its creators.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 06:40:34 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: August 20, 2013, 07:13:37 AM

Interesting message about 'traditional' mmo cockblocking and casual sandboxes, eh?

Notch is a millionaire and nobody know what Wurm is.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: August 20, 2013, 07:15:55 AM

Him spending about 5 years or so between Wurm and Minecraft making casual games as a code monkey my also have something to do with it :) But, yes, in that story I am sure there is some regrets between parties. But there is also some hard hardedness.

The code money gig also likely has a lot to do with his attention span on titles, as the turn around for those were months not years, and thousands of titles stayed on the cutting room floor.

Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #209 on: August 20, 2013, 02:47:24 PM

You played what Wurm turned into, mostly after notch left, due to the addition of all the time sinks. Things like recipes, the idea of the deformable terrain and mining systems are the common thread once you remove the time investments. Hell, even the crafting progress of wood, sans time investment, are the same.

Bolded the important bit.

They're the same because they had recipes. That's a ridiculous stretch, and even you're not dense enough to claim that with a straight face.

Tell you what. I coded for a MUD back in the late 90s/early 00s that had deformable terrain (you could dig out/collapse rooms), a similar mining system (veins of ore), you could cut down trees into logs and cut those into sticks, and there were recipes. Well fuck, I didn't know I prototyped a text version of Minecraft!

Wurm's recipe system was nothing new; it was the same shitty "gather X, push button, get Y" system we've all seen since Hans Henrik Staerfeld first put his fingers on a keyboard. Deformable terrain is unusual in an MMO, but we've seen heightmap-style deformable terrain systems in several games in the past, and Minecraft's deformable terrain comes from the Infiniminer block-based heritage, not heightmaps.

If you close one eye and squint, you could kind of claim that Wurm's square-based movement/terrain-cell thing presages that. At which point I'd point out that you should be applying for a job at Fox News; that's the sort of mental gymnastics they love.

I will admit that I never figured out Wurm's mining system as it existed circa 2006, because I only spent like 3-4 hours "playing" before writing up my old review of it.

In brief, this:

Minecraft began as basically an Infiniminer clone and Notch even says so himself.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 02:48:56 PM by Yoru »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: 0x10C (Notch makes Eve, but better)  
Jump to: