Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:03:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines  (Read 12998 times)
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

on: March 02, 2012, 12:41:07 PM

I'm going to just point out it's on -75% sale now, in case some of you heathens haven't bought it yet.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/2600/

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 06:44:23 PM

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 07:21:30 PM

You didn't post the bar song. sad

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 07:45:28 PM

With the exception of the horrible techno in the Chinatown club, every song from that game has a prominent place in my iPod rotation.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 08:54:48 PM

Can you get the OST out of the game or did you buy it separately?

Some games have started selling the digital download of the soundtrack besides the games, a trend I'm happy to see.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 09:58:07 PM

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 10:53:59 PM

Can you get the OST out of the game or did you buy it separately?

They're in MP3 format in the game data folder, IIRC, but I've bought a couple of albums because of this game.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 12:06:37 AM

Purchased. I loved the first game but never got around to buying this one.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 01:54:51 AM

Make sure to patch up. The unofficial patch fixes a crazy amount of bugs: http://www.patches-scrolls.de/vampire_bloodlines.php
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 08:11:28 AM

I think they're quite a bit different if I'm not mistaken.

Still, great game.  Permanent position in my top 5.  And for a fairly linear game, it has a ton of reply value. 

-Rasix
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 08:59:55 AM

Yeah they're totally different games.  The first one plays more like an oldschool RPG and Bloodlines plays like an FPS with RPG elements.

Redemption Gameplay Vid
Bloodlines  Gameplay (Jeanette Intro as Malk.)

FA3 reminded me of Bloodlines in terms of gameplay.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 10:23:08 AM by Samwise »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 11:15:07 AM

Bought it, but feel ripped off.  Steam is not supporting this game at all.  They aren't patching it to be playable.  You have to go to a lot of manual extremes to get it to even work.  I only know about it after going to the forums and digging.  I patched up to the unofficial patch last night, got it to actually work for awhile.  Had fun playing and I can see why it has a warm spot with many of you, but just tried to play again today and it can't find Steam again.

I'm really dissappointed.  I'm sure I'd like the game, but really not sure it is worth all this pain.  Feels like 20+ years ago when I had to spend hours tweaking just to play games on MS-DOS.

This really makes me question Steam too.  If they are going to sell this game, it should be patched to be playable from the start.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 11:22:53 AM

Hmm.  I've never had any problems running it on steam, although I always used the unofficial patch.  I'm assuming you've tried a reinstall?
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 11:51:41 AM

In defense of Steam, most of the technical problems extend from the fact that support for the game by the developer ended before Windows Vista/7 came out (because Troika went out of business), and so it was left to others to fix memory and scripting issues.  Steam automatically patching in the unofficial patches, which fix those issues, probably violates their license to distribute the game or some such.  Not to mention the fact that there are two competing unofficial patches that fix most of the games technical problems, and they both have ardent followers who swear up and down that they're the best; which side would Steam take?

For me, fixing the problems was as simple as downloading one patch and installing it.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 02:39:12 PM

I patched up to the unofficial patch last night, got it to actually work for awhile.  Had fun playing and I can see why it has a warm spot with many of you, but just tried to play again today and it can't find Steam again.

Run Steam as Admin, run the game exe as admin (browse the exe and r-click it, set admin). Also, set the auto-updater off

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 09:52:15 PM

Bought it, but feel ripped off.  Steam is not supporting this game at all.

Yeah, I went into EB games retail and told them to develop a new patch for the game and they just looked at me funny!

- Simond
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 11:51:06 PM

So uhm, my copy, just bought today, ran just fine right out of the gate. Of course, I run steam as administrator by default, so I'm not sure if just the circumvented the big bugs. I didn't get very far into the gameplay today, just the first few scenes, but so fare, so good. Do I really need to futz about with patches?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 06:44:58 AM

Need to?  No.  I played the game so many times as-is I lost count.  They do add nice fixes though, so it's really up to you.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 06:54:37 AM

Really wish I would have seen this thread while it was on sale. I've never played Bloodlines, for some reason I do not know.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 08:17:20 AM

It's on sale fairly frequently.

- Simond
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 10:26:33 AM

So uhm, my copy, just bought today, ran just fine right out of the gate. Of course, I run steam as administrator by default, so I'm not sure if just the circumvented the big bugs. I didn't get very far into the gameplay today, just the first few scenes, but so fare, so good. Do I really need to futz about with patches?

I highly recommend it.  There are some pretty shitty bugs that you can run into if you don't use the unofficial patch.  Of course, there are still some bugs you will run into with that patch, but they are far less game-breaking.

Pluis the unofficial patch adds all sorts of content that was in the game, but disabled at launch due to bugginess.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 05:46:46 PM

Who gets the money for V:TM anyway considering that Troika or whatever is gone? I dream sometimes that Valve would acquire the code/art assets and licenses needed from V:TM and gives it a good once-over and recompile with the latest source engine instead of the literal 0.1 beta version of Source it was originally compiled with.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 06:34:00 AM

Feels like 20+ years ago when I had to spend hours tweaking just to play games on MS-DOS.

This really makes me question Steam too.  If they are going to sell this game, it should be patched to be playable from the start.

It IS 20 years ago. Well ten and I'm guessing that 20 years ago was typical internet hyperbole. Steam is now responsible for making games work? Go back to fucking consoles if you have this much trouble. I've had to patch and fuck with so many "AAA" titles on pc, its just the nature of the format. Borderlands .ini tweaks, CIV patches & mods, BloodBowl tweaks & mods, EA games just not working right thanks to Origins etc. On the plus side though my games run better, look better, I can mod them, I can use console commands, I can use trainers, I get to use a mouse and so on.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 09:55:10 AM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 07:55:39 AM

Even on consoles that would be a hardware generation ago which has its own backwards compatibility issues, especially from a dead developer.

- Simond
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 08:08:53 AM

I'm guessing that 20 years ago was typical internet hyperbole.
Unsurprisingly, wrong.

As far as an 'easier' version, you will probably have to wait for gog to get it. Steam ist just a delivery mechanism, you will get official patches but that's it. Gog delivers the goods.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 09:56:41 AM

That's funny I remember navigating MS DOS prompts occasionally for games and I sure as fuck wasn't gaming 20 years ago. My point was that his whole "this feels like I've gone back in time" is a stupidfuck statement when he's trying to play a 10 year old game. You did go back in time buddy.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 11:45:17 AM

You do have a point there.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 12:01:10 PM

Hey, Hoax, you're old

10 years ago was 2002. I don't think anyone was navigating MS-Dos prompt.

1997 was the last time I recall having to do any of that, which would be 15 years ago.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 12:13:10 PM

Who gets the money for V:TM anyway considering that Troika or whatever is gone?

Presumably Activision, who published it.

At any rate, it'll undoubtedly be on sale again during the inevitable summer sale in a few months. I should really give the game a shot again with more current patches since I tried it out back in 2007-2008 or so and absolutely hated the thing, even fanpatched. Maybe more gameplay refinements and bug fixes can help me overlook the fact that it's a V:TM game this time.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 05:18:46 PM

Have people seriously still been working at this since then? i thought the fan made patches were pretty old and basically done.

I am the .00000001428%
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #30 on: March 08, 2012, 02:14:28 AM

The last two unofficial patch versions are from October and November of 2011. I don't think that counts as pretty old. Some mods are also still getting updates.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #31 on: March 08, 2012, 08:48:06 PM

Hey, Hoax, you're old

10 years ago was 2002. I don't think anyone was navigating MS-Dos prompt.

1997 was the last time I recall having to do any of that, which would be 15 years ago.

Good point I am old. When the fuck did that happen exactly.

-William Gibson
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 09, 2012, 07:31:31 AM

No one told you when to run. You missed the starting gun.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 08, 2014, 12:18:28 AM

I decided to try the latest patches and clan mod and give this a whirl again, then I got to the haunted hotel and just noped for the night. It's amazing the atmosphere they put into this game.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #34 on: May 08, 2014, 10:29:41 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Bloodlines ruined all other CRPGs for me.  Forever.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines  
Jump to: