Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:34:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Windows 8 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 225182 times)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #140 on: March 08, 2012, 11:41:17 AM

Because random internet user's keyboards are gross. The mouse is, too, but at least that leaves me one clean hand free for facepalming.

Only if you think semen is gross and not super cool genetic material.
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: March 08, 2012, 12:02:19 PM

I'm usually a bit of a Microsoft booster (I even own a Windows Phone), but I can't help but feel they jumped the shark with this one.

I could kind of get it if the plan was to gradually phase out the desktop and have us work with the new environment uniquely. But Metro is missing too many things that are important for getting work done. For example, I don't get how I could possibly work without hierarchical folders. (Metro gives one level only.) I have literally dozens of projects on the go at one time, each in its own folder, and hundreds of archived projects that I may have to reactivate at some later point. Trying to do this with one level of nesting would be insane.

And the idea of being able to show only two apps at a time is fine on a 13" laptop, but silly on a 30" cinema display.

So desktop is going to have to be around indefinitely. The jarring shift between the desktop and Metro worlds is significantly increasing the complexity of the overall system. My mother in law is looking at a new computer, and I now realize she'd better get one before Win 8 ships, because I can't imagine explaining this dual OS interface thing to her.

I actually found myself browsing the Apple mac pages yesterday.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #142 on: March 08, 2012, 12:15:53 PM

My dad is finally considering a mac, given all the little problems that have arisen over the years with his windows computers.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #143 on: March 08, 2012, 01:25:15 PM

Mac is pretty nice.  I am largely convinced that the stability and usability stems largely from the fact that they severely restrict which hardware will run their OS, and thus they are able to make sure that drivers run the way they are supposed to.  One of the big issues with Windows is the shitton of different companies that make drivers that conflict with everything or don't run. 

I'm a little confused as to why MS isn't simply trying to update Windows 7 a little bit.  I'm a big fan of it, and even consider it preferable to OSX Lion in a lot of respects. 
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: March 08, 2012, 01:50:49 PM

Microsoft is betting that sales of traditional PCs have nowhere to go down, whereas mobile/tablet sales are going to continue exploding. Windows 8 is all about having an answer for tablet + phone.

Whether it's a good answer for tablet + phone is not so obvious.

In some ways, they had no choice. If they had just produced a beautiful tablet OS that didn't run real Windows apps, it would probably have been reviewed positively in the press, and sold about as well as Windows Phone does now.

But as an example of how badly the shark got jumped, just look at how Office works on Arm-based Windows 8 devices. It will be literally the only desktop app that runs. The whole desktop interface has been ported to ARM just for Office. If you want to open a Word doc, you go to the desktop. If you want to do literally anything else, you use Metro. If you have your own desktop app, on Arm, you're out of luck. It won't run.
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: March 08, 2012, 02:04:53 PM

My Mom's laptop died so I convinced her to buy a Ipad instead of replacing it.  The only thing she uses it for is web browsing and email which it is perfect for.  She has  windows 7 desktop to do any actual typing, excel or major picture manipulation.  Personally I will probably end up going a similar route once windows 8 comes out with a Samsung Tablet or ASUS of some kind that is non ARM.  No way in hell I am going to update my desktop to it though.

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: March 08, 2012, 04:02:06 PM

Yeah, as a pure tablet interface it looks fantastic, better than iOS.  Being able to "stick" programs to the side while they still run is a nicer multitasking than iOS or Android.  But it's not good for an actual desktop computer with multiple interfaces beyond a touch screen.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: March 09, 2012, 07:02:20 AM

But as an example of how badly the shark got jumped, just look at how Office works on Arm-based Windows 8 devices. It will be literally the only desktop app that runs. The whole desktop interface has been ported to ARM just for Office. If you want to open a Word doc, you go to the desktop. If you want to do literally anything else, you use Metro. If you have your own desktop app, on Arm, you're out of luck. It won't run.

Not sure how true that is since the next version of office will be Metro.  They just haven't publically shown it off yet.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: March 09, 2012, 07:07:01 AM

I was shopping for some new pcs for the public here, and with our new layout the desktops are really ugly and bulky (backs exposed, wires, etc). Especially when looking at the majority of computers, flat panel iMacs. So I looked over the all-in-one options and was surprised how many touch-screen options there are in that form factor.

A flat panel all-in-one with a 24" touch screen would probably be pretty cool with W8.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: March 09, 2012, 10:33:05 AM

Oh god no I don't want to support touchscreens for our public stations. We have enough problems with the 8 touchscreens we have on our self-checkout stations.  ACK!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #150 on: March 09, 2012, 10:52:51 AM

I personally cannot WAIT till I have to install touchscreens in my computer lab serving 400+ students! May have to install snotrags at each terminal.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: March 09, 2012, 10:57:49 AM

Oh god no I don't want to support touchscreens for our public stations. We have enough problems with the 8 touchscreens we have on our self-checkout stations.  ACK!
I didn't buy any for the public!  ACK!
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: March 09, 2012, 11:00:40 AM

The bodily fluids mentioned earlier are probably easier to clean off touchscreens than down in keyboards though.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: March 09, 2012, 11:36:19 AM

ACK!

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #154 on: March 09, 2012, 11:41:56 AM

The bodily fluids mentioned earlier are probably easier to clean off touchscreens than down in keyboards though.

Sure, except of course, that the keyboards aren't going away either. Still, you have a point. TBH, I am pretty sure that my boss will never ever ever approve touchscreens for the lab unless the dean himself threatens him with physical violence. My boss' reaction to Windows 8 was priceless. After a minute of futzing about in the GUI, he looks up to me and says, 'What the fuck do I need all these buttons for?'. Of course, if he had his way, we'd all be using a terminal window and VI.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: March 09, 2012, 12:20:47 PM

Actually, the terminal interface to our old catalog was much faster and easier to use than the fourth or fifth iteration of a 'windows' version (it's Java now). Slow, horrible layout and usability and still not compliant with most windows standards (for key shortcuts/cut'n'paste, etc).
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: March 09, 2012, 12:53:41 PM

Not sure how true that is since the next version of office will be Metro.  They just haven't publically shown it off yet.
Office 15 is more metro-like and is more touch friendly, but is not actually a Metro app. It will run under the desktop only.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: March 09, 2012, 12:54:56 PM

Sky, What ILS are you guys using?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: March 09, 2012, 01:35:42 PM

Sirsi-Dynix after they bought out DRA. The System folks never evaluated other products, like, say, Polaris, which is headquartered down the road a bit.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: March 09, 2012, 02:11:39 PM

Ideal solution is dishwasher safe keyboards.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: March 09, 2012, 03:09:55 PM

Sirsi-Dynix after they bought out DRA. The System folks never evaluated other products, like, say, Polaris, which is headquartered down the road a bit.

Oh god Horizon. We just switched from them to Polaris. The Polaris software is much better but my god was their implementation management was total shit.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: March 09, 2012, 07:26:00 PM

We're on Unicorn/Workflows/I think they call it Symphony now (every calls it Workflows still).
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: March 27, 2012, 05:47:30 PM

If any of you happen to have this installed on a 10" netbook, they pushed out a new Intel driver that forces 1024x768 reso support.  Looks kinda akward at first, but at least now I can play around with the new Start menu.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #163 on: October 26, 2012, 06:47:40 AM

Anyone got the real copy of this yet?  

I'm pleasantly surprised at the pricing of it.  It more closely matches what Apple has done with their OS upgrades.  

Edit:  Nevermind.  Apparently it's a promotional thing so people will adopt before they find out how shitty it is.   Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 07:02:55 AM by ghost »
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: October 26, 2012, 08:02:25 AM

I've been using Windows 8 as my primary home and work OS for the last few months (since the RTM came out).  I love it, but the only thing that I use Metro for is the start menu.  Honestly, I find the start menu much easier to quickly find items than on the current start menu with tiny icons.  

Other than that, metro doesn't get in the way at all, and it *feels* much faster in real world usage than windows 7 on the same computer (I used to have to dual boot on my home laptop due to an IE plugin).  

*edit* other than the shitty music and photo viewer.  Those things need to die in a fire and you will need to install some 3rd party stuff for those.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #165 on: October 26, 2012, 08:04:16 AM

That's good to know.  I'm thinking about upgrading now due to the price incentive.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: October 26, 2012, 08:49:11 AM

Not even considering it until Security update 2. Then, ill think about it.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #167 on: October 26, 2012, 08:50:40 AM

I heard reports that some standard programs aren't even functioning in Windows 8.  No details on what those programs actually *were* though, so that's sort of useless information.  My understanding was something about the tile menus fucking things up.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #168 on: October 26, 2012, 09:03:06 AM

I just want to stab Microsoft in the eye for releasing yet another fucking version of Internet Explorer I'm going to have to take into account when I create web pages. FUCK YOU, IE 9.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: October 26, 2012, 11:01:14 AM

I just want to stab Microsoft in the eye for releasing yet another fucking version of Internet Explorer I'm going to have to take into account when I create web pages. FUCK YOU, IE 9.

We promise this one obeys web standards! Honest! Even the real ones! (*)

(*) Web Standards are defined as the IE9 Rendering Standards, version 1. Service packs may have other rendering behavior.

We had a web developer quit at my last gig because he got offered a slight pay cut and a contractual promise not to have to code for IE ever again. Took that in a heartbeat.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: October 26, 2012, 11:28:50 AM

Honestly, our front-end developers experience more rendering issues with Firefox these days than IE 9
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #171 on: October 26, 2012, 11:37:06 AM

Honestly, our front-end developers experience more rendering issues with Firefox these days than IE 9

They must not be using HTML5 or CSS3.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: October 26, 2012, 11:39:13 AM

Can I blame my Windows 7 desktop blowing the fuck up today on Windows 8 (as opposed to the stupid random power strike at my house)
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: October 26, 2012, 12:44:51 PM

They must not be using HTML5 or CSS3.

Maybe not since we have to support IE 8 as well.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #174 on: October 26, 2012, 07:31:20 PM

I love how Microsoft continues to troll you guys.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Windows 8  
Jump to: