Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:34:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: The Mobile Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Mobile Boardgame Thread  (Read 13713 times)
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

on: January 31, 2012, 04:51:53 PM

I've found the iPhone/iPad is actually a great system for playing boardgames on.  So far the top two I've enjoyed are:

1.)  Carcassonne - Love love love this game.  As a mobile game.  I'll actually just pull out the iPhone and start playing this rather than play a PC game sometimes.  Seems like the real life version of this game might be slow and somewhat boring, but on the phone, where all the rules are autoamtically enforced and points counted for you, its fast paced fun.

2.)  Ticket To Ride - Great adaptation of this game.  Slightly buggy at some points (for some reason it wont accept the damn correctly colored train set I'm trying to put on a track until I try for the 10th time in a row), but overall perfect translation.  Another simple game that I think works better at the fast pace of a computer game.

I have Catan as well, but haven't really tried it yet.  I'm also playing the hell out of Monopoly right now.   awesome, for real

Anybody know of some other good ones out there?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 04:53:41 PM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 06:32:36 PM

Risk is pretty fun. To a point. If you don't have a person with whom to play head-to-head, you will hit a point of skill where the only way to make it not be all ROFLFACEROLLSTOMP is to play with the max number of computer-controlled players on the max difficulty setting. From there it comes down to cockpunching destruction by the  AI, or "Hey, you got Australia or South America to start, you're not fucked!"

I have taken a break from playing it during my lunch breaks at work (I have it for the iPad2), so maybe it's worth going back after my last burnout/ragequit.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 07:41:56 PM

Catan is really good, but as of late, it just CTH on me…

Civilization Revolutions -- though I love the Civ series (up until V), this one I've never finished a game.

Ra - good board game implementation though some find the info panels difficult to read with the Egyptian font

Tigris & Euphrates - have not learned how to play yet, also Puerto Rico board game was just released also…

Ascension - deckbuilding game, was hooked on this one for a while, but abruptly lost interest…

Have read Titan for iPad is really good, but I never played the board game…

Pocket Legends, MMO for your iPad/iPod/Android, F2P, haven't logged on in a while, though…

Best iOS Games 2011

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 09:13:59 AM

Ascension is probably the best board game on the iPad I've found, followed by Ticket to Ride. The multiplayer in Ascension is amazing.

Puerto Rico's implementation is pretty great.

Horror Vacui is pretty fun, but it's basically a tricked out Reversi.

Small World has excellent implementation (not quite as good as Ticket to Ride).

Shadow Era is a fun CCG/time waster.

Conquist is fun when I don't feel like all the other shit.

Ghost Stories is as hard on the iPad as it is in real life.

I'm tired of mediocre Reiner Knizia implementations. Just because his games look like shit, doesn't mean they have to look like shit on electronic devices.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 09:34:47 AM

Elder Sign on my 'droid is decent.  I can get my Arkham fix on the go and be done in a much shorter time span.  Would be nice if they updated it to be more like the actual dice-game, but it's something.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 09:14:43 AM

There's a good bare bones implementation of Dominion for the android called Androminion, and a really well done Dominion app on the iTunes app market as well.  Note that there's some controversy about licensing on the iTunes version if that matters to you.  Also the iTunes one is just the base set while the Android one has some of the expansion cards as well.

I also think the AI on the Android is much better.
Lounge
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 10:51:25 AM

There's a good bare bones implementation of Dominion for the android called Androminion, and a really well done Dominion app on the iTunes app market as well.  Note that there's some controversy about licensing on the iTunes version if that matters to you.  Also the iTunes one is just the base set while the Android one has some of the expansion cards as well.

I also think the AI on the Android is much better.

My understanding of the iTunes one is that it was done with Rio Grande's blessing with the understanding that in a few weeks/months when their version comes out this one comes down.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 06:49:33 PM

Ghost Stories is pretty well implemented. The boring shows through pretty quick though. Plus it's a lot easier when you play all the players.
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 09:49:16 AM

Ghost Stories (as I just posted on BGG actually) made me never even want to try the real versioon. Just a horrible clusterfuck of a game. A huge waste of good art.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 11:59:57 AM

Originally posted this in boardgames thread in general.

Picked up Scotland Yard for $3.99. Interface is easy, board is fairly uncluttered. Good one for you and the kids.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 07:33:21 AM

Originally posted this in boardgames thread in general.

Picked up Scotland Yard for $3.99. Interface is easy, board is fairly uncluttered. Good one for you and the kids.

Physical board game version is better because it comes with a hat.
jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 01:36:02 PM

Eclipse has been released, finally. It looks very polished and the UI is works fairly well, but some of the elements (ship upgrades for example) are a bit too small to be manipulated easily with normal sized fingers.  Then again they can be a pain to manipulate in the board game version as well :)

Can't yet tell how good the AI is in general, but you can select from three difficulty levels for AI opponents (Peaceful, Normal, Hardcore).

BGG video review
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 01:38:58 PM

Also Talisman Prologue is out. Relive your 12 year old boardgaming self. No I can't be buggered finding a link.

Pocket Tactics has reviews up for Eclipse and Talisman.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 06:40:17 AM

Damn you! That was so good I preordered the Multiplayer variant for the PC with all expansions.

No really, good find. Thank you!
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 10:24:26 AM

Demo of Talisman - Prologue is here:

http://www.talisman-game.com/prologuedemo/

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 05:20:57 AM

Demo of Talisman - Prologue is here:

http://www.talisman-game.com/prologuedemo/

Very cool.  I grew up with this board game and have most of the latest iteration.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 01:58:56 PM

I've been playing Ascension for awhile now. The game is just great. Really happy with a lot of the ports of boardgames, in fact.

sickrubik on gamecenter if anyone is inclined to play some Ascension or such.

beer geek.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 03:07:05 PM

Days of Wonder has broken their "iOS only" policy, and has put Ticket to Ride on the Android.

Interestingly, they complained that they originally didn't do 'droid because of fragmentation back in the 2.x days.  Now that things are a little more tightened up with 4.x, they revisited the platform and just programmed the app to only work under certain hardware conditions (and of course, 4.x+ 'droid only)

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 10:43:36 PM

Agricola came out this week. That is all.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 03:10:52 AM

Ugh, I refuse to have to buy an iOS device to play these games  Mob

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 09:46:12 AM

So many pieces on that game.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 03:36:06 PM

Ugh, I refuse to have to buy an iOS device to play these games  Mob
Why?  There all pretty niiiiiice.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 26, 2013, 08:04:54 PM

AKA Gyoza
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 29, 2014, 05:24:12 PM

Btw if you haven't bought lords of waterdeep for your tablet. Wtf are u doing?  Both expansions are out too.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 29, 2014, 06:01:04 PM

Btw if you haven't bought lords of waterdeep for your tablet. Wtf are u doing?  Both expansions are out too.

Did they release it for Android yet?  Ohhhhh, I see.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #25 on: May 29, 2014, 07:38:32 PM

It's on my list, but I don't have anyone to play with.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 30, 2014, 09:40:51 AM

It's on my list, but I don't have anyone to play with.  Ohhhhh, I see.

I must admit I've only ever played it single player. I usually play a 4 or 5 player game.

And no not available on Android yet. :(

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #27 on: July 17, 2014, 10:28:03 AM

The Catan app now offers online play.  However, I have been frustrated with the pace of the random people I play against.  It is really best if you have friends who are geographically difficult to play with.  The app really makes all the complicated rules of the expansions a snap.

I have never played WoW.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: October 14, 2015, 11:15:22 AM

Just picked up Ticket to Ride pocket edition for $1.99. Money well spent, even has a pass around mode.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: The Mobile Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: